or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Pre-Blackout Old-Timers

Pre-Blackout Old-Timers - Page 2

post #41 of 168
I want to know why you post first, then think about maybe exposing private info or being presumptuous.
Seems backwards... particularly if you work in a lab full of student information... we have strict policies on data protection at Universities, Banks, and various levels of Government. Maybe I'm just more aware of them because I always err on the side of privacy, maybe its a Canuck thing.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #42 of 168
..... Thank you?!

Running off at the mouth to the point that you "leak when you squeak" has never been an admirable trait. I appreciate your concern for the preservation of confidentiality as I agree with you - it is a most commodious trait.

Your post caused me to reread all that I have written and for the life of me I don't see any confidential information that I have inadvertently published. Perhaps you feel my embarrassment in coming off as an idiot with a much-admired old-timer.

That's something I'll just have to live with, but IF I were to do the unthinkable and share a real confidentiality with him about the details behind my wrong assumption (which I wouldn't), I believe he would be equally struck by the coincidences and would understand better about why I presumed what I did.

Anyway, OK so I'm an idiot and I made a mistake. Won't be my first and definitely won't be my last. In terms of relative "smarts" on a general scale, expect nothing more out of me than being somewhere in the middle.

But I appreciate what I think you are really trying to tell me - that on this board there is a protocol where personal details are just not discussed at public.

Being fascinated with the type of discussions this board used to have, I have imagined how it must have been to have sharpened ones mind with truly brilliant people. And not just people - people involved in the Apple genre.

There is a difference that I guess posters here may not appreciate if they've never spent time on PC world boards. Even then, perhaps it is a difference that would only occur to one with my interests.

Interestingly, if I had started this earlier in the summer I would be completely up to speed by now and wouldn't be sticking out like a sore thumb for posters like you to have to redress. However, since school began, am extremely busy and don't have the time to devote to getting to know this board like I want to.

I will eventually figure out (I'm sure its simple enough) how everyone puts the window dressing, smilies and quotation references to use, but for now I'm doing the best I can allot to this.

If I've offended anyone in the process, that I deeply regret. I am very sensitive to this. Definitely not my style.

But having posted as little as I have, and being one of the newest members here, I definitely LIKE what I see and would like to be a minor contributor to these boards. = )
post #43 of 168
What the... is this thread?

Please explain the objective?
Matvei

"they want to be on 'God's' good side; they want to be saved; want 70 virgins, or raisins, or whatever . . ." -Pfflam
Matvei

"they want to be on 'God's' good side; they want to be saved; want 70 virgins, or raisins, or whatever . . ." -Pfflam
post #44 of 168
what i really don't understand is that you'd asked how to contact groverat, were given a few ways to do it privately (PM's, email etc.) but decided to post this thread.

if you really just wanted to get in touch with him, why not email him?
post #45 of 168
I miss Kate the board's mistress. I wish I could remember here web site address. She is a very good photographer.

Remember Goatie the moderator?

And there was windman ther troll.....

And there was a group that posted threats against one of the so called Mac pundits, but I can not remember who.....
post #46 of 168
I forgot all about Kate! I believe she returned and made a few posts after the blackout, but she didn't stick around long.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #47 of 168
Katherine was a fine lass, but long gone tae the best o' my knowledge, more's the pity. I on the other haund am still here - tenuosly holding on tae my Macintosh links - though tragically diminished by long years, methylated spirits and the wife.

Aye - those were the days.
Heedrum Ho
Heedrum Ho
post #48 of 168
I've been around for a while, but I'm a background character.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
We're investigating reports of indecent acts being committed at the YMCA.
post #49 of 168
Good to hear alot of the old group is still around. Who was the giirl who posted negative images (in the photographic sense) of herself ?
post #50 of 168
I was thinking about The Instaler just the other day...

The arab chats were interesting indeed. I took a screenshot once when I was in there. Lord knows where I put it. I was there once when a few of us were trying to explain that this had to do with Apple discussions, bla bla bla... they were pretty anti US and West in general. I shudder to think if that had anything to do with what happened with anything terrorist related. I doubt it though. There were plenty of Islamic/Arabic anti-West/USA haters before 9.11 as well.

The "spark" has sort of gone because of the stupid current status of AppleNova/Thinksecret that branched off from here... Its really too bad. We should all get back together again and may this place nice and funky again.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #51 of 168
I was thinking about Mad_Tool recently as well, I always did like his cool train pics, and all the stick people being taken out by "Da Truth Train"!

I was mostly a lurker way back then, and it was the "Mercury Rising" thread that got me interested in Apple, the G4, and laptops. A bit too interested as I watched (text read?) my first keynote in 1/2001 which caused my immeasurable amounts of pain that was cured only when I purchased my Titanium PowerBook G4 from CompUSA on 2/17/2001, all the while listening to the wailing and gnashing of teeth by all the people silly enough to pre-order from Apple on keynote day.
post #52 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
I was thinking about Mad_Tool recently as well, I always did like his cool train pics, and all the stick people being taken out by "Da Truth Train"!

I was mostly a lurker way back then, and it was the "Mercury Rising" thread that got me interested in Apple, the G4, and laptops. A bit too interested as I watched (text read?) my first keynote in 1/2001 which caused my immeasurable amounts of pain that was cured only when I purchased my Titanium PowerBook G4 from CompUSA on 2/17/2001, all the while listening to the wailing and gnashing of teeth by all the people silly enough to pre-order from Apple on keynote day.

I don't know what you're talking about. I got mine on valentine's day, custom built, and it still runs like a champ. It was a cool machine until Quartz Extreme came out.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #53 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Yeah, Escher's "Mercury"!

And oh how so much I wished for a 10.4" mag-alloy subnotebook.

Then the Titanium was released and I was in awe. I must admit that after using the TiBook for four years, I'm happy with the form factor and will brobably go with the 15" AlBook. I never would have expected it the way I yearned for a subnote.
post #54 of 168
Someone please post the truth train pic! I've been looking for it for years.
i want my old username back, dammit
i want my old username back, dammit
post #55 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by thefamousmred
Someone please post the truth train pic! I've been looking for it for years.

I second this request! If I see those truth train pics again I'll shit myself. And gladly!

chugga chugga chugga
post #56 of 168
I'm amazed nobody mentioned workerbee.

Perhaps it has something to do with Apple fscking his ass for being so stupid.
post #57 of 168
Looking for the truth train....

Go here, you might find it with a bit of patience....

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/king/appleinsider/

Forum 1 is Future Hardware..

Good Luck!

FOUND...

A Post by JUNKYARD DAWG...

I think it was a cruel joke that Id decided to play on Mac users. Graeme Devine talked a big game but failed to deliver. I'll suck my own dick if Id ever gets an altivec enhanced version of Q3A out the door.

Didn't he have a habit of sucking his own dick or what!
post #58 of 168
Didn't JYD have that problem too? Whatever happened to that little scamp?
post #59 of 168
I joined in January 1999 and remember the events mentioned previously and can assure CrazyChester that the intrigue was very real.

After hearing about the "invasion" I signed into the chatroom, which was a JAVA-driven application which took a minute or two to load, to witness the interlopers who seemed to be Arabic. AppleInsider Jihad jokes were bandied about, and every one of us who remembered this incident shuddered after September of 2001. Too bad no one recorded the text of those chats.

We've had so many interesting and annoying characters come through the boards that it's hard to remember them all at one sitting. Back, pre-blackout, the oldest registration date on anyone's profile was JRC, who was signed up (I believe) in November 1998. Of course there had to have been older members, but he was the oldest ACTIVE member, I was the second oldest ACTIVE member.

It's flattering to speak of our history in hushed, revered tones...but it's mostly creepy. Sure we oldest of the old-timers can leap 50 feet in the air, pass through solid objects and are hung like mules, but please remember that we're just human. Or ARE we?

melenkurion abatha, duroc minas mil khaball
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #60 of 168
I believe there were only two or three people that signed up BEFORE me.

So, NOV 98....6 years, 1 month, and some odd days since I registered for Appleinsider forums!

And I'm ONLY twelve years old!

edit:

awwww! That's SO NICE of someone to store old forum postings !

And THIS ONE is where I wish my mom a Happy Birthday!

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/king/appl...ML/000023.html

You can PLAINLY see my NOV 98 Registration date in the post, too! COOL! (That is my biggest accomplishment in life! )

THANKS MAN!

Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
I joined in January 1999 and remember the events mentioned previously and can assure CrazyChester that the intrigue was very real.

After hearing about the "invasion" I signed into the chatroom, which was a JAVA-driven application which took a minute or two to load, to witness the interlopers who seemed to be Arabic. AppleInsider Jihad jokes were bandied about, and every one of us who remembered this incident shuddered after September of 2001. Too bad no one recorded the text of those chats.

We've had so many interesting and annoying characters come through the boards that it's hard to remember them all at one sitting. Back, pre-blackout, the oldest registration date on anyone's profile was JRC, who was signed up (I believe) in November 1998. Of course there had to have been older members, but he was the oldest ACTIVE member, I was the second oldest ACTIVE member.

It's flattering to speak of our history in hushed, revered tones...but it's mostly creepy. Sure we oldest of the old-timers can leap 50 feet in the air, pass through solid objects and are hung like mules, but please remember that we're just human. Or ARE we?

melenkurion abatha, duroc minas mil khaball
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #61 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
A large number of the so called defenders of the faith have moved on to another forum after a recent schism here.

what happened? did that relate to the mods sudden attempt at becoming controlling and bitter out of nowhere and for no good reason, and banning dozens of people at random (including myself)? that was quite amusing.

oh, and don't encourage grover. he might actually get confused and think he's a decent person.
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
post #62 of 168
Dozens of people at random? Are you fucking stoned?

That's pretty funny, alliance. You are the one asshole here that always deserved the bans he got. ALWAYS.

Seriously, that's the best laugh I had today. Thanks bro!
post #63 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
Dozens of people at random? Are you fucking stoned?

That's pretty funny, alliance. You are the one asshole here that always deserved the bans he got. ALWAYS.

Seriously, that's the best laugh I had today. Thanks bro!

haha
at least fellows appologized for wrongly banning me to begin with.
i have no hard feelings with the rest of you since you blindly refused to listen to me or the problem. but i digress.
this is a nostalgic thread, not of old problems with mods, but old times when there werent problems with mods.

post #64 of 168
Nah, Fellows just got soft and let you off the hook. I think the concencus among everyone else was that he was crazy.

But yeah, sorry, I'll keep bad vibes out of here.
post #65 of 168
I have news for you guys. After 9-11, I took someone's screenshot of one of the chat pages with arabic text all over and forwarded it to some FBI info line. I seriously doubted that it was anything related, but at the same time, I was rather freaked out about the whole thing and left nothing to chance.

Damn, I do wish I had those old Truth Train images. They were priceless. I joined near the same time as 68k, part of a second wave of AI members really.

Notice that right now, after a long absence, we have Junkyard Dawg in a Temporary Insanity thread, claiming he blackmailed someone for insider info! Ah, JYD was rather bipolar IIRC, first being a perfect troll, then becoming a fountain of overarching enthusiasm. I can't remember what turned the tide. DoctorGonzo was not quite as, uh, unstable, but another good character.

I miss Belle. A lot of people fear the worst for her. She had leukemia as I recall. Scott and her had some discussions at the time, then she disappeared. I also remember Kate getting harassed like crazy by people who saw her (admittedly saucy) picture in one of her photo galleries. She posts at MacNN now and then, usually to question the wisdom of creating Quartz over the QuickDraw display model.

I'm trying to remember what Dorsal brought to the party. He was another prognosticator as I recall. Was seb included in the "good guys" list at the top of this thread? Also MichaelM8000 was another one for overarching enthusiasm, though he managed to apply his energy into Omni and Delicious Monster software. Spell check was invented for him as I recall. Mandicard and his "Hope Springs Eternal" mantra belong in the good boys club too.

I think we'll need Spotlight to properly burrow into that U of Calgary archive of the old forums. Ah, memories.
post #66 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
Nah, Fellows just got soft and let you off the hook. I think the concencus among everyone else was that he was crazy.

But yeah, sorry, I'll keep bad vibes out of here.

i've actually talked to fellows alot after that whole ordeal. he honestly said that he was to blame for the whole thing, that i didnt do anything wrong, and that he overreacted by banning me. which is basically exactly what i was trying to explain to the mods, who...(not trying to start any arguments here), basically provoked me into "making a scene" and thus leading to constant bannings. if no one listens to me, then i get pissed. and yes, before i did all of this, i was banned a couple times for no reason at all (as were a number of other members). merely being honest here. i am not trying to start an argument, just telling the truth that the mods wouldnt listen to...

[edit] fellows is actually a good guy who i was sad to see leave as mod. he actually tried to help solve problems on here instead of hiding from them.

now that that's cleared up, please resume this strange thread.
i appologize for this thread hijac.

oh, and i was here about as long as anyone on the original site...

post #67 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
I have news for you guys. After 9-11, I took someone's screenshot of one of the chat pages with arabic text all over and forwarded it to some FBI info line.

I didn't see the thread in question, but have heard about it over the years. Do you still have the screenshot? I know many others have asked about this since.

I was around pre-blackout, but mainly lurked. I believe I registered back then, and then forgot what name I'd registered under. Lurked at OrangeInsider during the end-of-life-as-we-know-it was going on, and registered when the board came back up.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #68 of 168
What a difference a year makes.

I first joined pre Y2K...

I remember joining just before the switch from black and green pages, and more than one black-out. That's a long time ago now, and I really only catch a snippet of what goes on here, and post more out of habit when I get the odd chance to scan these pages from the office.

These days it's more often than not that I can't tell my ass from a hole in the ground untill my 2nd cup of coffee (often already downed by 7:00am.) So, time for postage and retarded online hijinks has been curtailed. It's weird, you get home, and your limited time seems better spent with friends, their wine collections, and what might be nostalgia if the dissapearing horizon of my youth weren't just a little further removed.

I've been lurking during my holiday break, kinda like looking over old clutter and then instead of tossing it like you should, you stuff it back in the drawer. Toying with the idea of signing off these boards permanently, but that's an altogether silly thing to consider. I always found it funny when people feel the need to post faretheewells and other assorted goodbyes, followed by self important rationale over this e-life choice. However, these people are not any dumber than most other people, they just aren't as good at hiding it. Just making that a conscious thought process is disfunctional enough.

So long as certain constants persist:

Amorph's (much underatted) ability to write well and simply.

The raft of neurotic technophiles, macintosh, eman, a bunch of others from this board and MacNN (blackout refuge)

Cyber vixens and the tripods who torment them in web fora

Murbot's All Canadian appetite for beer, hockey, and ... (besides being a generally all around cool character, like Pscates)

All the manichistic debates about; God; creation; science; the-end-of-all-things; the-beginnning-of-all-things; the military; empire, orienatism; occidentalism; Bush/Gore; Bush/Kerry; gays; lesbians; the right, the wrong, donuts and the essential uselessness of it all...

The procedural bickering about whether one particular arrangement of fora has a better chance of bringing order to this mess...

... well I guess then, I'll come poking around when time permits.

I hope that Belle just resisted the urge to ascribe too much "community" to this place, simply decided it was all too stupid, and went about her way.
IBL!
IBL!
post #69 of 168
Does the AI community page still exist?
post #70 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
I didn't see the thread in question, but have heard about it over the years. Do you still have the screenshot? I know many others have asked about this since.

I might have it on some really, really old backup. I'll take a look, but it might be a while or I might not have it at all.
post #71 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777

I was around pre-blackout, but mainly lurked. I believe I registered back then, and then forgot what name I'd registered under. Lurked at OrangeInsider during the end-of-life-as-we-know-it was going on, and registered when the board came back up.

Oh, I remember that night when the arabic postings began. It was freaky.
post #72 of 168
I signed on in the fall of 1999, as I recall. After all these years, I still want to throttle the crooks who ran off with the machine they were using to host the forums, and with all the backups. They came as close as anyone has to shattering this community. (In case anyone was still wondering, that was the actual cause of the Great Blackout: A crooked service provider who didn't pay for bandwidth, then absconded with the machinery.)

Mark still drops by the Moderators forum once in a while, and I occasionally catch a glimpse of robo in the users list. Goatie dropped away, Belle just... vanished , Kate went to MacNN, Solishu and a few others went to Ars Technica. The creation of the Mac Ach took away a few of our regulars. We lost a few more to AppleNova. In the grand scheme of things, this is fine: I'd rather have people be where they're happier. But it has meant that AI has evolved considerably. Also, it's a much larger forum than it used to be, and that invariably changes the tone and the nature of the board.

Also, I think, the food for discussion changed. Back when there was a bigger presence of PC skeptics, we were still running Mac OS 9, and looking nervously at Yet Another Next Generation OS effort from Apple, which was already morphing rapidly and being delayed and renamed and everything else that didn't look good. And let's face it: The technological landscape then made for more interesting arguments, not least because Apple was still proving itself, but also because OS 9's flaws were as great as its advantages, which made arguing for it rather interesting (and I'm not using that word sarcastically). Speculation used to be fueled by the still-open question of whether Apple would survive at all, and whether Jobs had learned from his old mistakes. The recent Perfect Storm of Windows exploits, combined with the abrupt end of the GHz race, the transition to 64-bit, and the sudden acceleration of Apple's fortunes, has changed the nature of things rather quickly: Speculation is really a search for solutions to problems, and the more bulletproof your platform becomes, the harder speculation becomes. Think about it: We used to hope for an OS that didn't crash all the time, where the whole interface didn't freeze if we lingered on a menu. Now, some of us want an increase in OpenGL performance, or a better word processor. Steve's leak-plugging efforts have taken their toll as well. The whole Mac-vs.-PC argument has changed drastically since PeterB was a regular here, as well.

And I remember when pscates threw in the towel as a mockup illustrator, reasoning that Jon Ives had gotten so good that there wasn't much point in trying. That was a blow. I love mockups.

Anyway, I've rambled enough to deprive Matsu's flattering description of my efforts of any credibility whatsoever, so I'll stop now. But I've enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #73 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by JRC
Oh, I remember that night when the arabic postings began. It was freaky.

Yes it definitely was freaky.
post #74 of 168
What <i>was</i> the ( in "Mercury Rising (" ?

Anyone remember the AppleInsider Total Experience®...

'YOU PIG FUCKERS!!!!'

etc.

Oh, hi.
post #75 of 168
Two words: Silicon Alley

I remember when it was finally leaked on the board about its location, people were going nuts, and then the board shut down
post #76 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by HHogan

I remember when it was finally leaked on the board about its location, people were going nuts, and then the board shut down

Slow learners is the phrase that springs to mind.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I did some research into theblackhat during this thread's first incarnation. I think he's always been the same person and probably someone from the AI Dreamtime. BillGates maybe? I don't know. You tell me, Oh Bearers of Ancient Wisdom.

The last thread he posted in is worth a read. Start at the beginning and read to the end of his post. If that's not somebody having a laugh then I guess he really is just some dumb Texan.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #77 of 168
Quote:
And I remember when pscates threw in the towel as a mockup illustrator, reasoning that Jon Ives had gotten so good that there wasn't much point in trying. That was a blow. I love mockups.

actually, the headless iMac had him dusting off his mock-up skills, and can still be found if you know where to look.
post #78 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by HHogan

I think Silicon Alley being closed was one of the best AI-related things to happen to me. I inflated my post count WAAAAAAAAAAY too much there (as did others also).
post #79 of 168
Mercury Rising was my thread, and it was about the Powerbook G4
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #80 of 168
I'll just be flat-out honest and say that I've been around for a while, but not been one of those who ever really gets mentioned. I've just never infused myself into things enough where people say, "Yeah, that CosmoNut, he's always..." Enh, so be it.

But I have enjoyed looking through this thread and reminiscing about how I originally found AI, the infamous members here, some of the more famous threads, and most recently the rift that was partially the result of Dr. Anders' Tension Relief Clinic.

To answer one question posed earlier:

Workerbee was an Apple employee who posted overly-accurate "rumors" here about unreleased products. Naturally, he was right on. Apple caught wind, promptly fired him, and he went bye bye from AI.

So now I finally decided to post again here for a little while during Macworld, and then I'll probably go back on hiatus. I've thoroughly enjoyed my experiences with AppleInsider, but I've also greatly appreciated the extra time I've had by completely expunging these forums from my day. I have a lot more time on my hands!

Keep it real, ya'll. And remember: Just because you love Apple and their products doesn't mean you have to make a crappy QT video about it and post it to your .Mac site...Messiatosh.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Pre-Blackout Old-Timers