or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Pre-Blackout Old-Timers

Pre-Blackout Old-Timers - Page 3

post #81 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
I'll just be flat-out honest and say that I've been around for a while, but not been one of those who ever really gets mentioned. I've just never infused myself into things...

Don't sell yourself short. I think you'd be surprised.

You were very ra ra ra about the revolution (I remember you having a go at me in Viva La Revolucion) and then the next thing you announced your departure. I thought it was very sad but also very impressive. (IIRC there was a girl involved - I hope it worked out).

As Amorph's post so clearly explains, the glory days are over. You can't recreate the past. Hell, in the time I've been posting, I've noted the shift from an air of quiet excitement about what the future holds to the board seemingly awash with switchers. Defensiveness gave way to trolling PC boards as hope sprang eternal and was in turn replaced by cockiness. We've got the iPod na na nana na.

As far as last year's events go, my views haven't changed. Both sites are poorer for it. I think the vast majority on both sides know it but just can't admit it. And quite a few good people simply disappeared. Stupid. From that perspective, this

Quote:
So now I finally decided to post again here for a little while during Macworld, and then I'll probably go back on hiatus.

probably isn't such a bad idea. But I think it's nice to see you stop by.

And fortunately, Messiahtosh posts all his crappy QT videos at AN these days. Sucko Alcimedes!
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #82 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
You were very ra ra ra about the revolution (I remember you having a go at me in Viva La Revolucion) and then the next thing you announced your departure. I thought it was very sad but also very impressive. (IIRC there was a girl involved - I hope it worked out).

I'm probably most disappointed with my involvement in "La Revolucion." Had I known the massive split would happen I would NEVER have gotten involved.

Enh, water under the bridge, I guess. My disappointment with how things came to pass was only part of my reasoning for leaving. I did realize that I was spending way too much time here and felt quitting cold turkey would be best.

The girl thing didn't work out -- but a new lady has surfaced as recently as this last weekend. We'll see what happens there. What's nearly certain is that I will once again leave after all the Macworld madness is over. I've still got a lot I'm doing in my "real life" and need to focus on that.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #83 of 168
Quote:
As far as last year's events go, my views haven't changed. Both sites are poorer for it. I think the vast majority on both sides know it but just can't admit it.

I would agree with that. I'm sure no one else over there agrees with me, but I think (and always thought) that the whole thing was stupid. I don't have enough time to actively participate on multiple boards, which adds to the suckitude of it for me, anyway. I quit as a moderator within a few weeks of that and people might think that I did it to move over there, but I really just didn't have the time any more. It's amazing how work, a new house, 2 kids, and a wife can just SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF YOU.

Hell, I locked a thread over there the other day, and it actually might have been the first moderating I've ever done there.

You're right, you can't recreate the past, and there were some really cool times here.

Oh well, that's life I guess. What can ya do. When it makes me sad, I just sell a computer on eBay and buy something new. It soothes me.
post #84 of 168
I mostly lurked pre blackout. This is bringing back so many memories

It seems I no longer am motivated to post the user interaction manifestos that I used to. Perhaps it's because it grows tiring repeatedly explaining things like the motivation (whether right or wrong) for a one button mouse. Without a steady community, the forums seem more overrun with less profound, wise, or experienced postings. Elders, even in a forum context, do tend to foster more interesting debates.

Aw... who am I fooling. We were never profound.

I think I'm currently lusting for a forum with more thought out posts. Am I getting old? Occasionally, arstechnica fits the bill and my registration there dates to last millennium.

The dilemma is, how to gather a vibrant community without luring in the web's more annoying elements... being tied to a news site has interesting effects.

The great split?
Its analogous to your parents getting a divorce...
post #85 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
I was thinking about The Instaler just the other day...

So that's why my ears were ringing, ZO. Have been busy with other things, but will be looking in a bit more from now on.

Hello Powerdoc

Will you be changing your name to Inteldoc then?
post #86 of 168
No, it would be PentiumDoc if keeping the same nomenclature.
post #87 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
No, it would be PentiumDoc if keeping the same nomenclature.

You are, of course, right. And either name would be all right with me

- T. I.
post #88 of 168
Look what the cat dragged in:

i want my old username back, dammit
i want my old username back, dammit
post #89 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by thefamousmred
Look what the cat dragged in:

Tha TrUTH TRaiN!
post #90 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by The Installer
So that's why my ears were ringing, ZO. Have been busy with other things, but will be looking in a bit more from now on.

Hello Powerdoc

Will you be changing your name to Inteldoc then?

Why not ?

As soon, Apple will release their firsts Intel based mac, I am ready for the change.
Inteldoc sounds good for me
post #91 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Why not ?

As soon, Apple will release their firsts Intel based mac, I am ready for the change.
Inteldoc sounds good for me

Pssst... I am secretely planning to register The Inteller

Good to see this thread moving up again, no?

- T. I.
post #92 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by The Installer
Pssst... I am secretely planning to register The Inteller

Good to see this thread moving up again, no?

- T. I.

Yes good threads never die
post #93 of 168
So, back to re-compile your Installers?

Whats up man? Where you been??

That Truth Train just scared the beejezus outa me...
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #94 of 168
Quote:
... Mostly this is about the interaction between others but lately I've been thinking about how I view the forum and have noticed similarities with how I'd read a script. The members are like characters in a play. (Which BTW Hardee is why I think I remember stuff like I do. I only have a good memory for certain things. In real life my memory for names and faces is pretty crap. But here little details like your flagellum allow me to flesh out your character.)

Perhaps a bit off topic: however talking about characters
in a play, you all should remember the amazing movie
written bei C. Kaufmann ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND.
If you want to know something about Memories,
than this Movie is right for you. *Double cringe*
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #95 of 168
Funny that I managed to avoid the hole split.

Either way, at AI I remain. But maybe I'm just a creature of habit... I started lurking in '97.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #96 of 168
Interesting topic. I read it all the way through before I realized it was an old thread given new life. Just out of curiosity, when did AppleInsider start and by whom? A short, concise early history would prove interesting for us "johnny-come-late-lies".
post #97 of 168
Well, in the beginning, there was a void, and God said....
post #98 of 168
.. and then there were Dinosaurs. But they got big and fat and died. They eventually became oil fields and thats why Arabians are so rich...
post #99 of 168
Way back a long time ago there was a gathering place called CaveInsider...
post #100 of 168
Was the site teal just before the black-out. I was a lurker in the teal days. IIRC, the words AppleInsider were in white in the top right-hand corner with pictures of some kind on top. Then one day the site was gone.

Edit: It's all coming back to me. Early '99 when I got my Rev C. iMac, Grape, typing on it now, I used to read but didn't have the balls to post. Forums were new to me. I knew there was netiquette and didn't want to look like a noob so I just read, never posted. I've been here too long.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #101 of 168
My first post was was a reply in a thread about a flying car that ended up in the wrong thread because I was... well, a noob just like I knew I was.
post #102 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
Funny that I managed to avoid the hole split.

Either way, at AI I remain. But maybe I'm just a creature of habit... I started lurking in '97.

Hmmm, that's interesting.
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #103 of 168
Before the 'Blackout': Appleinsider Forums [Future Hardware]: Sept 2001

archive is a bit sketchy but 2001 seems to be mostly there (when UBB wasnt down).

Wayback Machine: appleinsider.com

/userone
post #104 of 168
I began posting as a member here back when we had white and greenish text on a black background. God that was hard on the eyes, I nearly leapt for joy when they switched the G4 gray theme.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #105 of 168
When I first had pleasure o' posting on these boards I had the great honour tae be welcomed by none ither than Steve Jobs himsel'. (At least he said he was Steve Jobs, but he blotted his credentials by subsequently spelling 'color' as 'colour'. Yes - ye know who ye are and so dae we. Admit it man!)
Heedrum Ho!
Heedrum Ho!
post #106 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac o' the Isles
When I first had pleasure o' posting on these boards I had the great honour tae be welcomed by none ither than Steve Jobs himsel'. (At least he said he was Steve Jobs, but he blotted his credentials by subsequently spelling 'color' as 'colour'. Yes - ye know who ye are and so dae we. Admit it man!)

Maybe he be was using the British OS version as it was then? Makes sense to me

- T. I.
post #107 of 168
Installer. It's yoursel'! How are you? Whit's happening? Have you brought Kate and Doc Cyber wi' you? It's just like auld times. Any word o' Steve?
Heedrum Ho!
Heedrum Ho!
post #108 of 168
I registered Dec 98, i guess that puts me in 'old skool' picnic basket too.

Highlights were kimkapsol lol 'dope as shit' some freaks just couldn't figure out some of his street slang :-) (MaDToOl as well?)

Phillip McDurrough the old skool NeXT guy, whom i remember from the Mac Reality days (before Appleinsider and Macnn).

JLL-Very Knowledgeable and all round clever guy.

Infinite Jester-crack up...sledged a few carbon coders badly haha funny

foofoo rabbit- who i thought was kimkapsol

Dorsal- the G4 Prototype insider ;-)

Some great times back then even in the darkest days.
post #109 of 168
Quote:
Installer. It's yoursel'! How are you? Whit's happening? Have you brought Kate and Doc Cyber wi' you? It's just like auld times. Any word o' Steve?

Hey, Mac o'

I am fine. Still aroond doin' the same thing(s). Good to see/hear you

Kate... Ah... Those, indeed, were the days

Steve? He is in a world of his own these days...

How's the wifie? I do hope that you have her under control now

You seem to have lost all your posts?

- T. I.
post #110 of 168
Installer auld pal! I am glad you are well and prosperous and groovy as ever.

I lost a' my posts somwhere doon the long and winding road that threeds it's way frae AI's distinguished past tae the present. Anyway - poor as I am in posts I count mysel' rich beyond measure tae be back in such auspicious company and in such interesting times. Intel! Who'd hae thought it?

I am wanting one o' those new chips installed in the abovementioned wife. The one that's working her jist noo has proved tae be a technological deid end, prone tae overheating and fiery outbursts. In fact - maybe I should jist upgrade tae a newer model altaegither and hae done wi' it!

Yours, etc, etc

Mac o' the Isles
Heedrum Ho!
Heedrum Ho!
post #111 of 168
Quote:
Installer auld pal! I am glad you are well and prosperous and groovy as ever.

I lost a' my posts somwhere doon the long and winding road that threeds it's way frae AI's distinguished past tae the present. Anyway - poor as I am in posts I count mysel' rich beyond measure tae be back in such auspicious company and in such interesting times. Intel! Who'd hae thought it?

Mac o' the Isles

You may have lost your posts, but you did not lose your title, Sir.
post #112 of 168
Powerdoc!

How are you?

I was always known on AI (in the early years at least) as just Mac o' the Isles. Her Majesty's Knighthood came a wee bit later on - immediately efter the Great Blackout I think.

I believe there was some dispute as tae the authenticity o' my rise tae the nobility, but I posted a picture on Leonis' (formerly Zo's) gallery showing incontrovertable Photoshop proof o' the event.

Since we seem tae be indulging in a wee bit nostalgia here I thocht it appropriate tae be just Mac o' the Isles again.

Your humble servant

(Sir) Mac
Heedrum Ho!
Heedrum Ho!
post #113 of 168
Quote:
Powerdoc!

How are you?

I was always known on AI (in the early years at least) as just Mac o' the Isles. Her Majesty's Knighthood came a wee bit later on - immediately efter the Great Blackout I think.

I believe there was some dispute as tae the authenticity o' my rise tae the nobility, but I posted a picture on Leonis' (formerly Zo's) gallery showing incontrovertable Photoshop proof o' the event.

Since we seem tae be indulging in a wee bit nostalgia here I thocht it appropriate tae be just Mac o' the Isles again.

Your humble servant

(Sir) Mac

I am fine, thanks

I remember your nice red bearded pic quite well. Knighthood or not, you will be always welcome here. Mac of the Isles is nice for me.
post #114 of 168
I confess to feeling strangely moved, reading all these exchanges amongst (old) AI'ers...

- T. I.
post #115 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
You may have lost your posts, but you did not lose your title, Sir.

You bastard! You made me wait to 1,000. You goddamn, treacherous, French bastard! And then you wouldn't let me have "Administrator". Not even in French. Thought you'd throw me off with that "I will confer a special title on you, Chester" line. Yeah, right.

This slight will not be forgotten. You'll keep.
post #116 of 168
Sir Mac'O is back! Aye matey!!! Shiver me timbers (or whatever that is....)
post #117 of 168
Zo! How are you doing? So mony auld acquaintances! What happened tae the members' album?

Quote:
Aye matey!!! Shiver me timbers (or whatever that is....)

Ye are obviously thinking o' Mac o' the Seven Seas Blackbeard there; my piratical ancestor.
Heedrum Ho!
Heedrum Ho!
post #118 of 168
Quote:
Zo! What happened tae the members' album?

Yeah, what happened to it?

- T. I.
post #119 of 168
Quote:
You bastard! You made me wait to 1,000. You goddamn, treacherous, French bastard! And then you wouldn't let me have "Administrator". Not even in French. Thought you'd throw me off with that "I will confer a special title on you, Chester" line. Yeah, right.

This slight will not be forgotten. You'll keep.

I must confess that I canno't resist to this nice barrels of wisky coming from Scotlands ...
post #120 of 168
Well history is nothing but burned bridges over running water.

Even Leonis pets are all forgotten, living a life of pure neglect.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Pre-Blackout Old-Timers