or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs addresses Kerry campaign economic advisor rumors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs addresses Kerry campaign economic advisor rumors

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
In a recently released transcript of an interview during June's Wall Street Journal's D: All Things Digital conference, Apple CEO Steve Jobs vowed to shy away from politics and commented on his rumored position as economic advisor to the Kerry campaign.

Addressing rumors that he recently signed up as economic advisor to John Kerry, Steve Jobs said, "I called him up and said that I've had a little bit of experience with advertising and I'd be glad to help him on advertising. Then a week later I read that I was an economic advisor."

In the June interview, Jobs said that while he had "offered" his services to the campaign, he was still waiting to see which specific role he would undertake.

Jobs was then asked if he thought Kerry was more tech friendly than President Bush, to which he responded "Some people have said that I shouldn't get involved politically because probably half our customers are Republicansmaybe a little less, maybe more Dell than ours. But I do point out that there are more Democrats than Mac users so I'm going to just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing."

Later on in the interview Jobs said that in splitting his time between Apple and Pixar, email allows him to remain in touch with both companies pretty much all the time. "It all depends. When we have a movie coming out at Pixar, I'm there more, but I don't direct the movies."

Jobs made several additional comments of interest during interview, which were published exclusively on AppleInsider back in June.
post #2 of 26
This ain't right. I've read interviews today with Steve Jobs saying he had absolute no idea he was the economic advisor of Kerry. He said he wanted to help with the advertising, but not with the economics.

So he is NOT the economic advisor of kerry.
post #3 of 26


What the? Err? No? Okay this 'story' must have a point somewhere but I just ain't getting it.

D

P.S. Smarter words were never spoken - I'm going to just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing."
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #4 of 26
Ha! Just like a bunch of democrats! Can't get their stories straight! Can't figure out who's doing what! At least with the Bush Administration, everyone's so afraid of Bush and Cheney they all speak as of one mind (usually with the same exact words). No dissension or confusion there!
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Ha! Just like a bunch of democrats! Can't get their stories straight! Can't figure out who's doing what! At least with the Bush Administration, everyone's so afraid of Bush and Cheney they all speak as of one mind (usually with the same exact words). No dissension or confusion there!

You might want to check the news today. Vice President Cheney does not share President Bush's views on homosexual marriages.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
Reply
post #6 of 26
I read recently that the documentary director that did the Switch ads (Errol something or other) will be doing a bunch of ads about Republicans who'll be voting for Kerry this election. Maybe his Holiness had a hand in that partnership.
post #7 of 26
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
"I called him up and said that I've had a little bit of experience with advertising and I'd be glad to help him on advertising. Then a week later I read that I was an economic advisor."

In the June interview, Jobs said that while he had "offered" his services to the campaign, he was still waiting to see which specific role he would undertake.

...

"... so I'm going to just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing."

Strange, He wants to "just stay away from all that political stuff because that was just a personal thing." but he himself "called him(Kerry) up and said that I've had a little bit of experience with advertising and I'd be glad to help him on advertising."

I dont see how he can have his cake (appearance of neutrality) and eat it too(publicly back/support/endorce) Kerry), what am I missing here?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by fahlman
You might want to check the news today. Vice President Cheney does not share President Bush's views on homosexual marriages.

Having differing opinions is a good thing.
post #10 of 26
I am so tired of people in power trying to influence the public to their political views.
Movie stars...Shut up and just act, I dont care what you think I just want to see you act.
Music stars...Shut up and sing, I dont care what you think I just want to listen to music.
And now Steve Jobs...Shut up and release the iMac already, I dont care what you think I just want to use your products.
If any of the above gets into politics then I listen. Until then just do what I am paying you to do.
I am feed up with so many trying to make a statement of some sort. The reason they have the platform to state the things they do is because of the previously mention.
I dont preach to my customers when I have I see them what I think I shut up and provide the service they desire.
My opinion is just that, I can say what I think, whenever I think it but when I represent my company that is the inappropriate time to do so.
If an actor or musician or even Steve Jobs is a rally or protest that is the time to speak their opinion. Not at an awards show or anything else.
But that is just my opinion....
That is just my statement....
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by DGNR8
I am so tired of people in power trying to influence the public to their political views.
Movie stars...Shut up and just act, I dont care what you think I just want to see you act.
Music stars...Shut up and sing, I dont care what you think I just want to listen to music.
And now Steve Jobs...Shut up and release the iMac already, I dont care what you think I just want to use your products.
If any of the above gets into politics then I listen. Until then just do what I am paying you to do.
I am feed up with so many trying to make a statement of some sort. The reason they have the platform to state the things they do is because of the previously mention.
I dont preach to my customers when I have I see them what I think I shut up and provide the service they desire.
My opinion is just that, I can say what I think, whenever I think it but when I represent my company that is the inappropriate time to do so.
If an actor or musician or even Steve Jobs is a rally or protest that is the time to speak their opinion. Not at an awards show or anything else.
But that is just my opinion....
That is just my statement....

Good point. I feel the same. Everyone gets bombarded enough these days with everything then you have people like you mention above who put it all even more over the top. Enough is really enough you know.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by DGNR8
I am so tired of people in power trying to influence the public to their political views.
Movie stars...Shut up and just act, I dont care what you think I just want to see you act.
Music stars...Shut up and sing, I dont care what you think I just want to listen to music.
And now Steve Jobs...Shut up and release the iMac already, I dont care what you think I just want to use your products.
If any of the above gets into politics then I listen. Until then just do what I am paying you to do.
I am feed up with so many trying to make a statement of some sort. The reason they have the platform to state the things they do is because of the previously mention.
I dont preach to my customers when I have I see them what I think I shut up and provide the service they desire.
My opinion is just that, I can say what I think, whenever I think it but when I represent my company that is the inappropriate time to do so.
If an actor or musician or even Steve Jobs is a rally or protest that is the time to speak their opinion. Not at an awards show or anything else.
But that is just my opinion....
That is just my statement....

What is your job?

Actually you don't have to listen, he is not announcing it over the airwaves or broadcasting it to your ears....

Not sure why you read the article...
post #13 of 26
Guess we should move this to the new Political Outsider forum...
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
Guess we should move this to the new Political Outsider forum...

True. Lets not have this explode like most discussions on this topic do.
post #15 of 26
Oh, my. Partisanship is a nasty thing --- too bad we don't have more parties in America besides the ones that struggle to be so "different." Keep in mind the photo of Bush using the Pismo, though....although the big spread of the TiBook in the TimeĀ® special on Kerry and the convention was interesting, too.

I second the motion for Steve to get the new iMac out ---- and the PowerBook "G5," whenever that may happen.
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
Reply
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
Reply
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by fred_lj
whenever that may happen.

Maybe the RNC?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #17 of 26
Actually I have a real distaste for all three parties. They all are rich or crooked or out for themselves. I just get tired of every where I look you can't get away from this crap.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
post #18 of 26
Two of my favorite people working together? I love it! Go John Kerry! Go Steve Jobs! America WILL change!
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
Reply
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by DGNR8
Actually I have a real distaste for all three parties. They all are rich or crooked or out for themselves. I just get tired of every where I look you can't get away from this crap.

three parties?
last i checked there were only two in congress...
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by DGNR8
I am so tired of people in power trying to influence the public to their political views.

He has every right as an individual to get involved in politics as he sees fit. If he wants to go so far as to make public statements, that's his right. In this case he got involved privately, then honestly answered a direct question about the matter.

Apparently you believe you have a right to post about politics in this forum, but Steve Jobs should keep his mouth shut?
post #21 of 26
2 words:
Move Thread
Matyoroy!
Reply
Matyoroy!
Reply
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by radiospace
Apparently you believe you have a right to post about politics in this forum, but Steve Jobs should keep his mouth shut?

Yes!!!

Actors, Singers, Celebrities, you know, people in the public eye that make their living from 'the public at large' should make it their top priority to APPEAL to the greatest number of people (if they want to be / remain successful). National / International companies could also fall under this umbrella since they too need to appeal to its customer base (if they want to be successful).

Can we agree on that? (if not then stop reading and move on)

Why on Gods green earth would anyone want to become so publicly vocal on an issue that it would have the end result of pissing off a group of people that were previously fans (translation - FANS = INCOME).

If some celeb is so moved by a specific issue that they are willing to loose a percentage of their fans (translation: INCOME) then more power to em! They have EVERY RIGHT to do so. On the other hand they SHOULD NOT be SHOCKED when they start getting the NEGATIVE BACKLASH from their actions. Every ACTION has a REACTION.

When it comes to a company (especially one that has STOCK HOLDERS) I'm not sure the CEO truly has the RIGHT to take such actions. Well okay I guess they DO have the RIGHT but the STOCK HOLDERS would have every right to toss that CEO out on his ear!

Warning Totally Ridiculous Example: Steve Jobs does a public service announcement bestowing the virtues of NMBLA (the National Man Boy Love Association - freaks that they are) and the PSA ends with a black screen and the Apple Logo and the words 'Think Different'

Could Steve do this? Well yea (ICK!!) I guess so... but would the Apple sock holders have Steve's ass out of Apple faster then I could spit? Hell yea!

Like I said - action - reaction

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee
Yes!!!

Actors, Singers, Celebrities, you know, people in the public eye that make their living from 'the public at large' should make it their top priority to APPEAL to the greatest number of people (if they want to be / remain successful). National / International companies could also fall under this umbrella since they too need to appeal to its customer base (if they want to be successful).

Can we agree on that? (if not then stop reading and move on)

Why on Gods green earth would anyone want to become so publicly vocal on an issue that it would have the end result of pissing off a group of people that were previously fans (translation - FANS = INCOME).

If some celeb is so moved by a specific issue that they are willing to loose a percentage of their fans (translation: INCOME) then more power to em! They have EVERY RIGHT to do so. On the other hand they SHOULD NOT be SHOCKED when they start getting the NEGATIVE BACKLASH from their actions. Every ACTION has a REACTION.

When it comes to a company (especially one that has STOCK HOLDERS) I'm not sure the CEO truly has the RIGHT to take such actions. Well okay I guess they DO have the RIGHT but the STOCK HOLDERS would have every right to toss that CEO out on his ear!

Warning Totally Ridiculous Example: Steve Jobs does a public service announcement bestowing the virtues of NMBLA (the National Man Boy Love Association - freaks that they are) and the PSA ends with a black screen and the Apple Logo and the words 'Think Different'

Could Steve do this? Well yea (ICK!!) I guess so... but would the Apple sock holders have Steve's ass out of Apple faster then I could spit? Hell yea!

Like I said - action - reaction

Dave

Right on Dave!!!!

Democrap, Republicrap, Libitarian (There are also the Independents)
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by ibook911
Two of my favorite people working together? I love it! Go John Kerry! Go Steve Jobs! America WILL change!

You've got another thing coming if you think Kerry means real change for America-it's just a swing back to the other side, and out of everyone possible for the job, he's probably the most liberal. Which is quite funny, becaue when the liberals or the conservatives sweep Washington, it's always in the name of change, but what it really means is the continuance of the bickering, finger pointing, and nothing really happening. Even when people I like get in, and promise all sorts of good stuff that would actually help somebody, they always find the "machine" is just a little harder to tame than their four-year first term allows, and then we're right back to the same shift in power that will producer another fruitless four years-you never allow the time to let the tree grow, and then you complain when it's short and stumpy.
post #25 of 26
I'm not sure Kerry will want the advice. After all, Jobs may be very successful at what he does, but to be successful in politics you really do need more than 5% of the market...
post #26 of 26
I have to agree with DaveGee, every action has a reaction. I too think actors, singers & ceo's should keep their political views to themselves. Having said that though, they do have a right to their opinions and to voice them if they so please, but my thing is this: Just don't whine like a little baby when some people don't like what you're saying. If you're going to express your views/opinions about politicians be a man or woman about it and quit your whining! Don't cry censorship or rightwing conspiracy, we the paying public have a right to our opinions and the right not to spend our money on you.

Ok so back to the computer stuff, any idea how far off the dual 3ghz mac could be? 1yr?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs addresses Kerry campaign economic advisor rumors