or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What could this be?

What could this be?

post #1 of 526
My friend who works in the Charles De Gaul airport posted this pic on my .Mac account.

Says they've been unloading stacks of heavy computer boxes all weekend.

Took a look inside one in an elevator...

pic

==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #2 of 526
thats one BIG tablet!!
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #3 of 526
finally a leak of the new imac????

anymore pics?
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #4 of 526
How about an Apple Cinema Display.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #5 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamil
finally a leak of the new imac????

anymore pics?

umm probably just the 30 inch displays, or maybe even 23 inchers. you;d be surprised how heavy those displays are.
post #6 of 526
so thats the apple logo top centre. its grey/alu. it looks BIG (to my eyes). and we can't see behind it because there looks like nothing else apart from screen on the front or this edge
post #7 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
umm probably just the 30 inch displays, or maybe even 23 inchers. you;d be surprised how heavy those displays are.

the 23" display i saw had a white strip down the side, which this hasn't. have not seen a 30" though...
post #8 of 526
Shit you're right, that is not a cinema display.
post #9 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac

the displays have the logo at the bottom of the screen not the top. also the bezel is too wide and the whole frame is too deep.
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #10 of 526
I will ask if he's got any more pictures.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #11 of 526
Can't you just call your friend and ask him what the product name was on the box? Seems the easiest solution to me.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #12 of 526
Yes, ask what the hell this is! Very interesting, some sort of iMac or tablet thing. WiFi airport express controller or something, but all that screen, lol?

Cool, in any case. Good hoax too, if it is one.
post #13 of 526
Quote:
Can't you just call your friend and ask him what the product name was on the box? Seems the easiest solution to me.

I will tomorrow, I can't get hold of him till then.

He knows I'm a Mac user that's why he thought I'd be interested, but he didn't say anymore.

Here's what he said, make of it what you will...

"hey dude, look what I've been unloading today. These things weighed a ton. Thought you'd be interested as your a mac geek"
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #14 of 526
He doesnt have a cell phone?
post #15 of 526
You mean to tell me that your friend works at Charles de Gaulle airport and opened a sealed box he was supposed to be unloading?

And he still works there?

I smell a fish.
post #16 of 526
It wouldnt be that hard to open one of those boxes up, there's no platic wrap on the outside of a box.
post #17 of 526
Nice that the chucklehead didn't see fit to, oh, say what the BOX SAID.

This almost seems a staged, self-consciously-mysterious thing.

Then again, it matches nothing else in Apple's line-up and that appears to be a little Apple logo at the top. If it was a Cinema Display (the absolute closest thing it could be), where are the white sides? And the Cinema Displays aren't that thick, are they? And they certainly don't have that much bezel surrounding the screen.

Interesting. Although in this age of Photoshop and web-based hoaxes/jokes, I tend to keep myself in check until more evidence is presented.

Not gonna wet my pants just yet...

Who knows...

\
post #18 of 526
He works shifts, I can't ring him till tomorrow.

I have emailed him so if I get a reply I'll let you know.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #19 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh
It wouldnt be that hard to open one of those boxes up, there's no platic wrap on the outside of a box.

It does seem strange that Apple would be shipping unannounced machines in their retail packaging for anyone in the airport to see. If I recall correctly, Apple usually ship new machines to trade shows in locked metal shipping containers.

This just seems odd. Stranger things could happen, I guess.

If it is in fact the iMac G5, I like it. Much cleaner looking than I expected.
post #20 of 526
Looking at the Apple logo on the box, it looks like someone just rotated the Apple logo on the bezel itself in Photoshop. And yes, Apple clearly states the contents on the outside of the box. No need for an Airport employee to sneak one into an elevator to knife it open. A foul air definitely has settled over this thread.
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
post #21 of 526
Maybe that's a new 17" consumer monitor. You know how heavy those monitors are? The old ones are a ton of bricks.

Whatever it IS, the question remains, on how and why this person was able to see an apple box, then to open it, when he himself is not a rabid apple fan, willing to take the risk of being fired just to see the what's on the inside.

On the other hand, if this is the new iMac, or new monitor or whatever, maybe apple is shipping them to the site in boxes, for sale IMMEDIATELY after the PhilNote.

But that begs the question. Why not just read the outside of the box?

I'll believe or won't belive at the keynote.
post #22 of 526
Yeah, I gotta cry "hoax" at this point. I can't see Apple - so notorious for their secrecy - letting boxes of their killer, long-awaited stuff just be carted around by regular joe's at an airport.

This is beginning to stink.

\

They'd be in Paris in big locked road crates, and anywhere they'd be in the States, they'd be boxed up, unmarked, I would think.

Tell your friend, in the future, to take a pic of the box itself, OR to remember what the words said on it. Might help.

Do the new Cinema Displays have the white strip on both sides? Because if that logo was at the bottom, we'd be looking at the right side of the display, and the white area AND the power/brightness controls aren't there.

That's the ONLY thing that makes me go "hmmm....". But that's also the kind of stuff that is very easily manipulated in Photoshop (moving/flipping logos, cloning out unwanted features, erasing any tell-tale signs that it's a current, known product, etc.).

Someone's getting an ass-beating over this...

post #23 of 526
The new displays have white stripes in both ends, and the top and bottom is kind of rounded, wich it isn't in the picture above...

I don't know what to think, really... Strange.
post #24 of 526
Heh. This is an upside down 23" cinema display with the side and Apple logo photoshopped to look like something other than what it really is.

When Apple ships new products to expos, they do not arrive in individual boxes; the come in thick locked metal/plastic crates on wheels.

Kasper
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #25 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by Kasper
Heh. This is an upside down 23" cinema display with the side and Apple logo photoshopped to look like something other than what it really is.

When Apple ships new products to expos, they do not arrive in individual boxes; the come in thick locked metal/plastic crates on wheels.

Kasper

You're obviously comparing it to the sketch of the iMac G5 that you have, aren't you?
post #26 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
You're obviously comparing it to the sketch of the iMac G5 that you have, aren't you?

Listen. There is a sketch, which I was sent months ago. However, it is a HORRIBLE sketch. It was not drawn free hand, but rather by an engineer with no artistic skill whatsoever and Microsoft paint. It's not something you post on a news site like this. It was sent to me to describe the simplicity of design and does not reveal anything more than I've already stated in the article text. It's not at all an accurate representation of the overall design or its proportions, but rather of the basic form factor. It's hideous. But so far, I think you all can tell, that our original description of the new iMac, which was posted on AI before any other publication, appears to be accurate. So I don't understand why everyone thinks its a bluff. If I posted the sketch now, most people would probably laugh at it. However, 4 months ago, before anyone had an idea of what the new iMac would look like, it was one of the only leads available. Trust me when I say that if we have something WORTH posting, we will.

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #27 of 526
The next chucklehead that brings up this stupid sketch gets shot in the foot, then banned for 11 years...and I'm not even a mod, but I'll make it happen!

post #28 of 526
i'm not saying this is for real, but...

who remembers the leaked shot of the quicksilver (was it the speed hole model? can't quite remember) mac that was posted on AI -- that person managed to unpack one.

scorn was poured from a large height on it. always in locked containers people shouted.

turned out to be true!

the one thing that is not doing it for me here, is that it looks so damn big!
post #29 of 526
although this does smell fishy, there are a couple of issues that make it seem like it might be legit. First, even if the logo was photoshopped, where is the stand? Based on where the logo is (ignoring its orientation) the stand should be protruding several inches out to the left in the picture (where its just a big white blur). But look at the size of the box, and imagine the displaylaying down into it...there's no room on either side for a big foot-type stand to be sticking out. So if this is a photoshop job, its a big one, doing far more than just flipping the logo. And I'm pretty sure the cinema display boxes have more than just an apple logo on the side, and it doesn't appear that the box side was doctored in this photo.

I don't know, I really can't believe the story, but it's hard to ignore the photo.
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #30 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by philbot

Says they've been unloading stacks of heavy computer boxes all weekend.

Took a look inside one in an elevator...

pic

I think it is one of the new Apple displays. I have seen one recently in a reseller and it looks very similar to what is shown in the picture.
post #31 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
although this does smell fishy, there are a couple of issues that make it seem like it might be legit. First, even if the logo was photoshopped, where is the stand? Based on where the logo is (ignoring its orientation) the stand should be protruding several inches out to the left in the picture (where its just a big white blur). But look at the size of the box, and imagine the displaylaying down into it...there's no room on either side for a big foot-type stand to be sticking out. So if this is a photoshop job, its a big one, doing far more than just flipping the logo. And I'm pretty sure the cinema display boxes have more than just an apple logo on the side, and it doesn't appear that the box side was doctored in this photo.

I don't know, I really can't believe the story, but it's hard to ignore the photo.

If it is the new iMac, it too would need a stand... And it does look like it has one. There is something in the background, at the middle of the display. Looks like it could be a stand i guess..

Its hard to tell its size, but depending on the elevators size, I'd say the screen is about 20" ?

That being said, it does seem thicker than the new alu displays. I saw the 20 incher at an apple store, and this one looks to he twice as thick...

.:BoeManE:.
In the real world, ignorance is truly a bliss.
In the real world, ignorance is truly a bliss.
post #32 of 526
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
I think it is one of the new Apple displays. I have seen one recently in a reseller and it looks very similar to what is shown in the picture.

as it is in the picture it is not an apple display, as they have a white strip down both sides. it may have been photoshoped of course...
post #33 of 526
I agree it looks too much like a display to me.
"The only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice"
"The only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice"
post #34 of 526
It appears to be too small a box for a full-blown computer. It even looks smaller than the box my 20" display came in. It doesn't look photoshopped from my eye, even the metal reflects as it is supposed to and is oversaturated with the rest of the picture. The back of the screen from what I can tell does not have the same attachment as the current displays either. Perhaps the new iMac is headless and this is one of the monitors?! Don't know, we will know soon though...
post #35 of 526
OOH!... Fish Paste!
post #36 of 526
Luckily he happened to have a camera in that elevator when they looked in that box too!

It is one ugly motha! And look at the terrible fit and finsh where the glass meets the case on the edges....

Doesn't look right to me... if it is a hoax I agree it was a nice attempt though.
post #37 of 526
ugh. Spot the odd one out:

post #38 of 526
What about the second picture? Color is shifted in the pic, thumb visible for size.

But where is the stand? Maybe Apple confused the term headless. We get an AIO iMac, but you have to buy the STAND by itself!!!!
post #39 of 526
Do the new displays ship in black boxes? The old ones shipped in white.

Which raises the question: will the new iMac ship in a black box? Currently the "i" machines ship in white and the "Power" stuff in black.

In any case, does the box look big enough? For a display, yes, but for a computer, with a keyboard, mouse, manuals, discs, etc.?
post #40 of 526
And it on a APPLE .MAC homepage!!!

For how long????

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What could this be?