or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Electoral College - Deja Vu
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Electoral College - Deja Vu

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
CNN reports that if the election were held today, it would look pretty much like 2000.

CNN Poll

I'm starting to look forward to election night. If Bush wins, a few heads here might pop just from the blood pressure.

A lot of states are still competitive, we still have the RNC convention, three debates, anything can happen, and of course most sitting president usually poll better than this with 10 weeks left, but Bush seems to still be scraping by into the lead.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #2 of 15
Eliminate the electoral college. Its time has come and past. For a federal election it should be who has the most votes wins. We arent electing a state president we are electing a president of the United States. enough of the electoral college and its politics.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #3 of 15
What, you mean no weekly debates?
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
post #4 of 15
I guess so!
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #5 of 15
has there ever been a president who won more states in his first term election then his second (and still managed to win)?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
has there ever been a president who won more states in his first term election then his second (and still managed to win)?

Who knows and who cares, the electoral college was all about protecting the little states, were beyond that arent we?
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Who knows and who cares, the electoral college was all about protecting the little states, were beyond that arent we?

No. We've discussed this in thread after thread after thread. Electoral college plays a part in normaliving the American political scene. If you want CA, NY and TX to dictate US policies then sure feel free to continue; however, I like or political scene the way it is. All states have a say. Sometimes Ohio, Michigan, and Florida get that say and sometimes Arizona, New Mexico, and South Carolina get to say. If we eliminated the electoral system the ability of states to dictate policy would be likewise eliminated.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
Reply
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
Reply
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
CNN reports that if the election were held today, it would look pretty much like 2000.

CNN Poll

I'm starting to look forward to election night. If Bush wins, a few heads here might pop just from the blood pressure.

A lot of states are still competitive, we still have the RNC convention, three debates, anything can happen, and of course most sitting president usually poll better than this with 10 weeks left, but Bush seems to still be scraping by into the lead.

Nick


Gore almost won in 2000!


PS. And if you remember he did win the popular vote.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #9 of 15
Quote:
All states have a say.

By all states you mean about 2/5 of the states right? Cause 60% of the states are being ignored on policy by both candidates, except for the occasion visit for bling bling. If you support the electoral college, so be it, but don't pass it off as some panacea of equality when all it does is shift the focus to a minority of states and people. The fact is that these candidates will spend more time over the next ten weeks in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida than the other 46 states combined.

South Carolina aint getting a say cause it is going Republican. New Mexico and Arizona are getting says but only small ones.

We've been over this many times. If you want some people's votes to count for more than other's in electing a president then support the electoral college. Some people like to see a world of 51 governments constituencies, I prefer to think of it as 300 or so million people. Whatever floats your boat.

Moderate states with medium to large populations like Pennsylvania will be supported in an indiviualized system or the electoral college system. Small states that lean heavily to one party one way like Idaho will be ignored in either system. The only difference is that the electoral college favors moderate states with small populations like Iowa over larger population states with populations that lean one way or another like Texas.

The whole premise of democracy is that there is social value and empowerment in following the interests and will of the majority within the legal contraints of protecting certain rights of the minority via individual Constitutional rights. The electoral college defeats the concept of majority rule and/or largest bloc rule and is a perversion of democracy.
post #10 of 15
A state like Idaho, that votes Republican, is getting its say already. That's why it's ignored. If they weren't getting what they wanted from Republicans they would vote for someone else.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
By all states you mean about 2/5 of the states right? Cause 60% of the states are being ignored on policy by both candidates, except for the occasion visit for bling bling. If you support the electoral college, so be it, but don't pass it off as some panacea of equality when all it does is shift the focus to a minority of states and people. The fact is that these candidates will spend more time over the next ten weeks in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida than the other 46 states combined.

South Carolina aint getting a say cause it is going Republican. New Mexico and Arizona are getting says but only small ones.

We've been over this many times. If you want some people's votes to count for more than other's in electing a president then support the electoral college. Some people like to see a world of 51 governments constituencies, I prefer to think of it as 300 or so million people. Whatever floats your boat.

Moderate states with medium to large populations like Pennsylvania will be supported in an indiviualized system or the electoral college system. Small states that lean heavily to one party one way like Idaho will be ignored in either system. The only difference is that the electoral college favors moderate states with small populations like Iowa over larger population states with populations that lean one way or another like Texas.

The whole premise of democracy is that there is social value and empowerment in following the interests and will of the majority within the legal contraints of protecting certain rights of the minority via individual Constitutional rights. The electoral college defeats the concept of majority rule and/or largest bloc rule and is a perversion of democracy.

Agree. Great post.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
By all states you mean about 2/5 of the states right? Cause 60% of the states are being ignored on policy by both candidates, except for the occasion visit for bling bling. If you support the electoral college, so be it, but don't pass it off as some panacea of equality when all it does is shift the focus to a minority of states and people. The fact is that these candidates will spend more time over the next ten weeks in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida than the other 46 states combined.

South Carolina aint getting a say cause it is going Republican. New Mexico and Arizona are getting says but only small ones.

We've been over this many times. If you want some people's votes to count for more than other's in electing a president then support the electoral college. Some people like to see a world of 51 governments constituencies, I prefer to think of it as 300 or so million people. Whatever floats your boat.

Moderate states with medium to large populations like Pennsylvania will be supported in an indiviualized system or the electoral college system. Small states that lean heavily to one party one way like Idaho will be ignored in either system. The only difference is that the electoral college favors moderate states with small populations like Iowa over larger population states with populations that lean one way or another like Texas.

The whole premise of democracy is that there is social value and empowerment in following the interests and will of the majority within the legal contraints of protecting certain rights of the minority via individual Constitutional rights. The electoral college defeats the concept of majority rule and/or largest bloc rule and is a perversion of democracy.

Thats why i say eliminate the college(nice post)
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #13 of 15
It's just a warning sign that Kerry and like-minded organizations need to be a better campaigners. No need to eliminate the electoral collage.
post #14 of 15
The electoral college keeps a centralized government from forming. That's a good thing, even if you're unhappy with the current candidates.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
post #15 of 15
This is slightly related . . . . a delegate for the Republicans may JUMP SHIP:

HERE

Quote:
I think President Bush needs to get the message from people across this country, including Republicans, that his strategy in national security and his economic policies need revisited,'' South Charleston Mayor Richie Robb said Wednesday
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Reply
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Electoral College - Deja Vu