or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Patriot Act+Goventment=Censorship

Patriot Act+Goventment=Censorship

post #1 of 13
This says it all:

Quote:
The danger to political dissent is acute where the Government attempts to act under so vague a concept as the power to protect 'domestic security.' Given the difficulty of defining the domestic security interest, the danger of abuse in acting to protect that interest becomes apparent.

On its surface the above may seem rather benign, however, it was classified as threat to national security and redacted from an ACLU lawsuit.

Here's the ACLU version for those who want to read a little:

http://www.aclu.org/nsl/gagorder/amended_complaint.pdf

And here's the memoryhol's version made readable:

http://www.aclu.org/nsl/gagorder/amended_complaint.pdf

And for those who plan on criticizing without reading either of the above, here's the snap-shots from the memory hole while they last:

The redacted version

And the computer enhanced version

How can anybody support the Bush admin when actions such as this are occuring. This is censorship plain and simple. Government editing of public docs for no reason other than to make the lawsuit challenging a section of the Patriot Act look less important.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #2 of 13
Patriot act is not Patriotic at all, what it does is allow for more intrusion,less liberty and freedom for every American. It makes it easier for the power mongers to use this as a excuse for everything under the sun. This is just the begining of the police state and govt will use fear and ignorance to garner more power for itself. There is no checks and balances on this terrible act that allows govt to do almost anything it wants under false security promises. there is only 1 answer repeal the act but democrats and republican love more control and both want a all powerful Govt intruding into our lives. we went through WW1,WW2 a cold war and we didnt need this garbage so why now over a handful of organized thugs.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #3 of 13
No check or balance? So the congress and the USSC are not a factor? You're sounding a little hysterical.
post #4 of 13
The patriot act is just the tip of the iceberg. GWB has done everything possible to turn the US into a police state. Any government that spies on it's own people, uses FUD and whimsical punishment to silence protestors, is leading the country down the path of destruction. Nazi Germany->KGB->USA?

Here are some links from Wired.com. Their reporting isn't the best, but I was looking for a single source instead of doing a Google search. Feel free to do your own search on the subject.

Son Of Patriot Act

Pentagon Seeks US Spy Powers

GAO: Federal Data Mining

Senators question TSA Denials
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #5 of 13
Maybe it's because my photoshop skills are rather meek, but I can't think of any way to "enhance" that picture and get that text to appear. I've tried all sorts of brightness and contrast and doging and sharpening, but it ain't even getting close to making out text.

orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot
Maybe it's because my photoshop skills are rather meek, but I can't think of any way to "enhance" that picture and get that text to appear. I've tried all sorts of brightness and contrast and doging and sharpening, but it ain't even getting close to making out text.

It's not computer "enhanced". The text lines aren't even parallel. The Photoshop job was simply to better illustrate the censorship.
post #7 of 13
Have you seen the original? Do you know what the blacked out text shows? do you consider the ACLU to be a fair and reasonable organization? Do you believe that things like this have only occured in the Bush administration? Isn't it possible that there really is sensitive information that cannot be disclosed in the document?

I can keep going.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
Have you seen the original? Do you know what the blacked out text shows? do you consider the ACLU to be a fair and reasonable organization? Do you believe that things like this have only occured in the Bush administration? Isn't it possible that there really is sensitive information that cannot be disclosed in the document?

I can keep going.

Seems to me you almost welcome this new censorship...
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #9 of 13
The text in the "enhanced" version does not line up with the other unredacted text on the picture.

Secondly, this appears to be from a lawsuit against the government sponsored in part by the ACLU. We need to know the context of the claim. Is the claim why the government is dismissing the lawsuit, or is the information the claim being made by the ACLU? People can claim anything they want in a lawsuit, that doesn't mean the government endorses, promotes or believes the law supports that view.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
We need to know the context of the claim. Is the claim why the government is dismissing the lawsuit, or is the information the claim being made by the ACLU? People can claim anything they want in a lawsuit, that doesn't mean the government endorses, promotes or believes the law supports that view.

But censoring it? surly...
post #11 of 13
Dude, Nick.

They have a record that shows what the paragraph said before it was censored. They're not lying about that.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Dude, Nick.

They have a record that shows what the paragraph said before it was censored. They're not lying about that.

The Truth Will Set You Free:
http://www.thememoryhole.org/feds/justice_redaction.htm

http://www.aclu.org/nsl/gagorder/acluLetter_051404.pdf
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #13 of 13

National security, my ass. More like national embarrassment over the policies of the Bush/Ashcroft administration. And the Justice Department wouldn't tolerate any of that "anti-Americanism". Big Brother, we are here.

I really hope the ACLU takes this to the Supreme Court. There's no way any of that material that's been censored is a "threat to national security". The credibility of Bushco is not an issue of national security. If it were, Bush would be rife for impeachment, as clearly he's done more damage to his administration's credibility than anyone else.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Patriot Act+Goventment=Censorship