or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Apple unveils the new iMac G5

post #1 of 441
iPod France says they're introducing it at this very moment. Details to follow...
post #2 of 441
Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 441
...confirmed it's a G5. Still not showing it...
post #4 of 441
"looks like one of the new screens"...
post #5 of 441
it looks like the displays
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
post #6 of 441
Phuck they made it white.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #7 of 441
1.8 G5
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
post #8 of 441
post #9 of 441
- Looks like a Display
- Thinest Desktop in the world
- DVD on the side
- Still white
- G5 1.8 Ghz, DDR 400, Serial ATA, AGP 8x, Mouse/Keyboard Bluetooth.
- In/Out : Mini VGA, 3 USB2, Audio, 2 Firewire, Modem, Ethernet 10/100
I'm The Boss... This Is Champaign...
Merry Christmas !
Merry Christmas !
post #10 of 441
And it's still got the ridiculous nVidia 5200 graphics card in it? HELLO!?
post #11 of 441
post #12 of 441
RA : Where did you get that picture ?
Merry Christmas !
Merry Christmas !
post #13 of 441
The Apple homepage is live with the details now for anyone who hasn't guessed as much.
post #14 of 441
It's a non-portable PowerBook G5! Great! That's just what the midrange desktop market wants
post #15 of 441
Three models:
1.6 w/ 17"
1.8 w/ 17"
1.8 w/ 20"

1299, 1499, 1899
post #16 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by ic1male
And it's still got the ridiculous nVidia 5200 graphics card in it? HELLO!?

He he, Think Secret told you so! Get real people, two from the three Apple professional desktops, come in standard with a Geforce FX 5200 Ultra! What do you expect them to put in the iMac?
post #17 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by pierr_alex
RA : Where did you get that picture ?

It was in another thread.
post #18 of 441
That picture is on the front page of the US Apple Store.
post #19 of 441
It's here.

www.apple.com/imac

Well I didn't expect it.

One thing I noticed immediately: no FireWire2. WTF mate.

Other than that, I like it. A little weak on the graphics but hey it's an iMac.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #20 of 441
I'm not crazy about the extra-large bezel at the bottom of the screen. Otherwise it looks fine. I don't mind the white. (I think the aluminum looks better but on the other hand it's nice to see the white look still kept alive, too.)
post #21 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
It's here.

www.apple.com/imac

Well I didn't expect it.

One thing I noticed immediately: no FireWire2. WTF mate.

Other than that, I like it. A little weak on the graphics but hey it's an iMac.

I'm glad I don't use em. That thing is a POS. Can you upgrade the video card? how are kids going to play DOOM 3 on that?
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #22 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
Can you upgrade the video card? how are kids going to play DOOM 3 on that?

Better learn them play Pacman. It is no violent too .
post #23 of 441
Well, I know two people who were waiting to buy 20-inch iMacs and were expecting it to be $2,199. They will be THRILLED with the price.
post #24 of 441
post #25 of 441
I can't believe they expect us to use AppleWorks 6 with that.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #26 of 441
I'll probably mount mine on a arm that bolts to the desktop. That way I can reclaim space back on my desk. This sucker is only 18.5lbs or so. It's a nice feat of engineering talent. As long as it stays cool Apple's in business here.

Quote:
I can't believe they expect us to use AppleWorks 6 with that.

What's wrong with it?
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #27 of 441
The edu price on the 17-inch SuperDrive model is just $1,399!

And you can bump the RAM to a single 512 chip for just $67! Is this the Apple we know?!

I'm not in love with the looks of the thing (yet), but I gotta say, it's cheaper than I expected.

The no-optical-drive edu model is just $1,099.
post #28 of 441
no 8x superdrive! the emac even has an 8x superdrive. wtf. read Tech Specs says at the bottom of the page
post #29 of 441
post #30 of 441
Quote:
The edu price on the 17-inch SuperDrive model is just $1,399

$1349 for Developers

Considering I'll be buying the next update I'm guessing I'll be getting a 2Ghz G5 and faster video card.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #31 of 441
I think this is designed to look, as much as possiible, like the iPod and thus get some switches interest in buying a Mac. The more I look at it the more I like it. I think the back could have been polished metal so as to match the iPod even more though. Not a great design but quite solid, lacks a bit of WOW. but will look a lot better in the flesh.
It's a matter of taste
It's a matter of taste
post #32 of 441
It's beautifull! and here's how mac gamers like me will Doom 3. On low settings.
post #33 of 441
Had they just made it possible to put in a better graphics card then the new iMac would have been a great computer in my eyes. The price is reasonable I just wish the graphics card could have been swapped.

Meanwhile I wonder what Apple really expects to fill the void between $1899 including 20" monitor and $1999 without any monitor.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #34 of 441
You can use a standard VESA mount to hang it on the wall...no need to bolt it to your desk.
post #35 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
Meanwhile I wonder what Apple really expects to fill the void between $1899 including 20" monitor and $1999 without any monitor.

A credit card?
post #36 of 441
awful!!!
post #37 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by honeytoast
no 8x superdrive! the emac even has an 8x superdrive. wtf. read Tech Specs says at the bottom of the page

What did you think Steve was lying when he said you can't run vertically mounted optical drives as fast as horizonatal drives? Small price to pay for me but others may disagree.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #38 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by honeytoast

It's vertical. As you speed it up vibration would become a very big issue. Vibration is a problem when it's horizontal and gravity isn't pulling the disc off kilter then.
post #39 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by radiospace
A credit card?

Seems kind of stupid to me. They essentially have an $800 - $900 computer and a $2000 computer and ignore the market in between. That said I'm sure the iMac will do reasonably, or at least better than the previous one.
post #40 of 441
This'll be great for sales. All of those people who like the ipod will upgrade to this, it's just as cute as the ipod. Also for the first time since the original, you can say it's a cute computer.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple unveils the new iMac G5