or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Apple unveils the new iMac G5 - Page 7

post #241 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by jnrjr79
They'll spend $3000 on a new computer and $500 on a new graphics card? And Apple's not going after them?? Wait a second, it's coming to me. What is that thing? That big aluminum box? Oh, I can't remember...

That's it! The Power Mac G5!

Listen, if this is the kind of user you are, you're looking at the wrong computer if you're looking at the iMac. Most people want to play games on consoles. If you're willing to shell out $3000 or more just to build a computer to play games, then get a Power Mac G5. Personally, I've never understood why you would spend all this money assembling a gaming computer rather than just buying an X Box for a couple hundred bucks.

or go buy a fcuking alienware laptop!

trix may be for kids, but macs arent! but then again, i shouldnt talk, when i get my G5 Powerbook (ahhh that wonderful day) i hope theres the Sims 2 for mac... hey, just cuz a guy works with the stock market doesnt mean he cant play with the sims! but for you young gamers- go buy an xbox like he said!!!
post #242 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
I just love the "similarly configured" machine arguments. yeah, great, they're evenly priced at a similar configuration. Shouldn't someone point out that while EVERY OTHER PC manufacturer that you're comparing it to allows you to really change the configuration. I went to Dell's site to configure the 4600, and a couple things I noticed:
- Its like $75 less to get the RAM from 256 to 1GB. 4 DIMM slots total.
- Its $60 less to get the HDrive to 250GB, plus there's room for a second drive.
- I can get a floppy drive (floppies rule!)
- Choice of CD/DVD drives, including getting two separate drives
- Choice of displays, from LCD to CRT, at a wide range of sizes, quality, price
- choice of video card (hey, and you can change it later!)
- choice of sound card (hey, and you can change it later!)
- choice of mouse and keyboard that fits you, not what they force you to have (what, you want two buttons, go buy one yourself, you losers!)

Apple let's you change the memory and harddrive, and allows you to add Bluetooth (don't forget that's required if you want a wireless keyboard/mouse) and airport. Wow, the customization options!

[Oh, and the dell will get to you within a week. Who knows when Apple will ship the first iMac, let alone yours.]

Yeah, so if you spec up the dell to meet the iMac's specs, they cost the same, but the problem is, you HAVE to take the iMacs specs. If I have no desire for DVD writing, I can forgo the drive (or, if I want a DVD-R drive, but hate their slowness for CD reading, I can get two drives!). You have a myriad of options with the PC side of things. With Apple, you take what they give you.

No need to get emotional about it. I'm just pointing out that while you get less choice on Apple's side they are not gouging like some claim. You can configure a machine almost infinitely at Dell's site. That's great and for some that is what they want. I think it's a bit lame when people try to claim things that are just not true though and you finally did agree that similarly specced machines cost the same .

To hear some of the arguments made by people here you'd think an identically specced machine cost $500 less on the PC side and that is completely untrue. Apple is going to cost more for many reasons including economy of scale so for them to get a machine (albeit an AIO with only drive/RAM upgradeability) so close to PC prices is a notable achievement.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #243 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
No they haven't. This is your dream. Consumers haven't spoken about anything. The last best selling computer(original iMac) wasn't headless. I love they way some of you make stuff up to support your wishes.

97%, you are the one dreaming if you can't see something that telling.

I love the way some of you are too blinded by your own desires to see the truth that is right in front of you.
post #244 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by etai_s15
Damn its ugly.

err...no its not?

Like all previous Ive designs it looks a little bland at first in photographs. Then you notice the little details and seen in a real context (check the picture in the 'Software' section) it starts to look darnright cute. Like the iPod I suspect that photographs don't do the design justice and in the flesh it will be very cool.

The design is perfectly logical and to be honest where else could you go now with an AIO? I too would love to see a mildly expandable cube or slab (for commercial reasons) but for an iMac this is fine. Reductions in weight and cost are good and the syling is clearly talking to the iPod generation, which is probably a very smart move. VESA mounting option is also very smart and I think the machine is an indication of Apple's future push into the Home.

I would love to see 3rd parties produce a touch-screen version (Troll?) and some new sexy VESA arms (most existing arms are pretty ugly). The iMac would make a great Bar/Restaurant music machine, or even customer operated jukebox.

I think the machine also posesses the important Office Receptionist and TV Gameshow potential.
post #245 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Dazaran

I love the way some of you are too blinded by your own desires to see the truth that is right in front of you.

The iMac is an All-In-One and always will be. You are talking about a totally different machine.
post #246 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by vinney57
I would love to see 3rd parties produce a touch-screen version (Troll?)

Here you go (Troll?).
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #247 of 441
Can someone tell me, just out of curiosity, does the new iMac have a little white light on the front like the old one, to tell you it's on and when it's asleep?
"Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh" Alex: A Clockwork Orange
post #248 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
I just ordered one (Christmas in advance) : I expect that I did not make a mistake (I didn't checked the noise : if it's noisy my wife will kill me )

According to the iMac tech specs page (it would be nice if this was actually checked by more people ), the new iMac has a max of 25dB.
post #249 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by kcmac
THT. Nice post.

I would be interested in why you wouldn't recommend the high end.

I think it's simple: the high end iMac is not such a jump from the previous high end generation as the other two (we compare always machines of the same rank between generations). For example, it could have a better video chip or a 2 GHz processor or some other plus to make it more appealing. It has however a much nicer screen than the 17" models.
post #250 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by vinney57
The iMac is an All-In-One and always will be. You are talking about a totally different machine.

Fine where is this totally different machine? There isn't one w/in the same price brackets is there? So therefore I am forced to either not buy a mac in the first place (which oddly enough lots of the people on this board seems to think is a good alternative or buy a used tower, which btw I did knowing Apple as well as I do)

Oh and I do believe I was one of the few if not the only one saying Apple would give these iMacs a 3:1 bus ratio so I guess I get to pat myself on the back just like Amorph did, wooo.
post #251 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
I already did in another thread:

The Vaio has:

15" screen
Integrated SIS graphics with 32MB shared memory
2.8GHz P4
512MB DDR SDRAM
Combo drive

All starting at $1499!

It looks like the iMac is the winner. Now how 'bout Gateway's...

Profile 5X-C
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Application Software: Microsoft® Works Suite 2004 - including Microsoft® Word and Encarta
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.8GHz w/ Hyper-Threading Technology, 800MHz FSB and 1MB L2 Cache
Memory: 512MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (1-512MB modules)
Hard Drive: 80GB Ultra ATA100 7200rpm hard drive
Floppy Drive: Integrated 1.44MB 3.5" floppy diskette drive
Optical Drive: Integrated 24x/10x/24x CD-RW / 8x DVD combo
Expansion Slots: (1) Type II PC card slot
External Ports: (6) USB 2.0 ports (2 side, 4 rear), (1) Serial (back), (1) Parallel, (2) PS/2
Input/Output Jacks: Line-in, line-out and mic (back), headphone and mic (front), VGA-out (in back on NVIDIA® graphics configurations), VGA-in
Dimensions: 15.38" x 17.33" x 7.25" (WxHxD), approximately 20.8lb.
Screen: 17" LCD flat panel display
Video: Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 with 64MB shared memory buffer
Keyboard and Mouse: Multifunction keyboard and Logitech USB Optical Wheel Mouse
Multimedia Package: Integrated sound and stereo speakers
Modem/Wireless: V.92 56k modem
Network Adapter: Integrated Intel® 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

Specs are very similar to the iMac. It still runs Windows and is as ugly as sin. Apple got the features and price of the new iMac perfect. If I wasn't waiting for an updated iBook (and I wanted to be attached to a desk at home after sitting at one most of the day at work), I'd order an iMac today.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #252 of 441
I for one am the gaming type so my iMac cannot provide for me in that department so i've decided to save up for a maxed out DELL desktop exclusively for my games , aye now i can have the best of both worlds . 8)
Its ALIVE , its ALIIIIIVE !!!!!!
post #253 of 441
Quote:
And for you bashing the video card bashers, keep in mind that OS X actually uses the video card itself very heavily

And Tiger 10.4 uses the GPU even more, with CoreImage/CoreVideo.

Quote:
As for the video card Amorph has given examples where the 5200 would actually be a better choice than the ATI 9600. OS X relies on OpenGL which is better supported by Nvidia than ATI.

On the PC side of things, nVidia and ATI write their own drivers. Apple write 'em for the Mac, so this might not be valid.

Another problem with the iMac 3 as a gaming machine may be insufficient RAM. When games of TEH FUTAR come out, they'll probably need 512MB o' RAM, even if they play acceptably on a 5200 Ultra.
Stoo
Stoo
post #254 of 441
I'm convinced that consumers will love the iMac. Why? Because in many households the wife holds sway. Do you think it's chance that the iPod Mini has struck a chord with women with the colors and all. Women also seem to detest big bulky computers. The iMac will gain new homes because it is easy to setup...has the power people need and now a 17" model can be had for $1299 starting. Macintosh has always had a AIO available. Why people keep acting like today's computer market doesn't support AIO is beyond me.

Components tend to get smaller over time as production efficiencies rise. Laptops sales are skyrocketing..it only makes sense to make the iMac as thin as possible.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #255 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoo
And Tiger 10.4 uses the GPU even more, with CoreImage/CoreVideo.

On the PC side of things, nVidia and ATI write their own drivers. Apple write 'em for the Mac, so this might not be valid.

Another problem with the iMac 3 as a gaming machine may be insufficient RAM. When games of TEH FUTAR come out, they'll probably need 512MB o' RAM, even if they play acceptably on a 5200 Ultra.

Apple has always skimped on RAM and their prices are usually nasty for upgrading. Most of the time though resellers offer deals like free RAM/Printer/etc... so even this is no huge problem. It also looks to be pretty easy to pop the back off and stick memory in yourself.

ps - as for the ATI vs. Nvidia part. I was refrring to Amorph mentioning that Nvidia's hardware offered superior OpenGL performance. I'm not sure about the driver issue and who writes those (I think it's Apple)
post #256 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
A cheap headless box is a toy for some geeks (not all geeks, or I'd want one). It's not a consumer product.

What sort of ignorant statement is this? Take a look at what the vast majority of computer buyers buy. They sure as hell aren't flocking to LCD AIO PCs.
post #257 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Dazaran

97% (the market share, not the installed base - big difference) buy Windows. Since their only real choice for Windows machines is a tower + separate display, that's what they buy.

The tower + separate display is the thirty-year-old design that the commodity market settled on out of inertia. Whether it's the best design for the job is irrelevant: If you want to use commodity components, that is what you ship.

So, in fact, the "97%" number means nothing. The fact that people might be resigned to a tower + display running Windows — because they might not even be aware that there's a viable alternative — doesn't mean that it's the best choice in their eyes. The most you can say is that it's what they're familiar with.

Quote:

And how. The fastest-growing market in the consumer sector is the ever-so-expandable "portable" computer, including desknotes as well as laptops. So much for expandability as a major consumer selling point.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #258 of 441
Bring on the iMac mini!
post #259 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by TWinbrook46636
Sure it's an Apple and looks it but the overall design and functionality doesn't look like something Jonathan Ive would come up with. Did I hear correctly that he was not involved much with this project if at all?

Well, Macbidouille in today's live coverage of Apple Expo, say that the new design is a work of the iPod team. In particular, they say that just after the iMac's introduction, a presentation video has been projected, where Apple insisted that the design came from the creators of iPod. It could be a marketing trick, but it could easily be 100% true.
post #260 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by powermacG6
Bring on the iMac mini!

Can I get one in blue ?
post #261 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
The removable foot opens up tons of possibilities.

Where does it say the foot is removable? Or am I missing something?
post #262 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
Sounds like you want a HIGH-end mini-headless. Don't hold your breath. If anything, Apple needs a LOW-end mini-headless to create an entry cost even lower than the eMac.

Oh I'm not so interested in a HIGH-end ... I'd be perfectly happy with a 1.8 or a 2.0 G5, I just don't want the front-side bus to be crippled. Single CPU is fine by me, though a dual-core version later would be cool I only need a single PCI-X slot for a video card upgrade, but put a low-end video on the mobo, just for trouble shooting, office users, etc

Quote:

Suggestion: put the PowerMac on the floor

That's the problem Its so huge, I'll knock my knees on it. And the headphone,usb, firewire ports would be too low to the ground to be useful, in any ergonomic sense.

Quote:

Anyway, the G5 iMacs's not for a DIY'er, but it's a great design at the right price. They'll sell a ton. The removable foot opens up tons of possibilities.

For the market they're chasing, the new iMac G5 is a ok machine I guess. My point is there is a nice large piece of us that are in-between product lines ... need more than an iMac, need less an a PowerMac. Those of us that like to tinker, have the money to spend, and most importantly, don't mind spending it

It just seems to me that if I could have a PowerMac chassis about 1/3 the size, sit it on my desk, be able to upgrade the video card, ram, or HD when I want, there would be a LOT of happy switchers like myself.

Something like this:

PowerMac G5 mini-tower (approx 1/3 the size of current box)
512Mb RAM (expandable to 2G, maybe 4G if there's room)
200Gb SATA drive (with room for another one)
8x Superdrive
Onboard nVidia FX5200 (64Mb)
Single 1.8 or 2.0Ghz G5 (Dual core in a later model)
Single PCI-X slot for video upgrades
The usual ports: USB 2.0, Firewire 400 (maybe Firewire 800 at some point), etc

Personally, I would happily pay $1599 for that .. and I provide my own monitor, or buy a new 23" seperately, either way

The thing is, this config would meet my space requirements, horsepower requirements, and my flexibility requirements ... sad as it is to say this, just like my Shuttle does now although I'm forced to use Windows

With the onboard video and the expansion option, I'd also get an appealing business-class machine as well. IT departments love to keep machines around for a while, and upgrades help them extend the useful life of the box.

Just my $0.02 worth
=========================
"Recipe, schmecipe .. just hand me the bourbon ...."
=========================
"Recipe, schmecipe .. just hand me the bourbon ...."
post #263 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Well, Macbidouille in today's live coverage of Apple Expo, say that the new design is a work of the iPod team. In particular, they say that just after the iMac's introduction, a presentation video has been projected, where Apple insisted that the design came from the creators of iPod. It could be a marketing trick, but it could easily be 100% true.

Wake up Neo, the iPod era has begun.
post #264 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by PB

You can watch the Expo, including that video with Ives, here:

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/
post #265 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by jasenj1

Yes, the current iMac is a fine machine - today. Yes, Apple will sell them as fast as they can make them. But when OS X 10.4 comes out with all those cool 3D effects I suspect people are going to really start whining about how inadequate the 5200 GPU is.

- Jasen.

What cool 3D effects??? Like the little ripples on Dashboard? I'd like to know what crazy effects you think Tiger will have.

On another note... MACS ARE NOT FOR GAMES! Sure, they have games out for them, but anyone even remotely considering playing a lot of computer games should not look at a Mac. That is not the purpose of these computers. The incredibly compact design will let families put the computer where a big, ugly PC case would not be able to go (ie. kitchen, bookshelf, bathroom(?)) Anyway, people do not buy a iMac because it has the latest and greatest GPU or is packed full of RAM. They buy them to do exactly what has been said before: to view pictures, listen to music, and send e-mail. My parents use a 700Mhz eMac with 256MB of RAM and they could not ask for anything more.
post #266 of 441
I am no longer disappointed in the new iMac. I won't be purchasing one, but I think it will sell tons.
post #267 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by turnerm5
What cool 3D effects??? Like the little ripples on Dashboard? I'd like to know what crazy effects you think Tiger will have.

On another note... MACS ARE NOT FOR GAMES! Sure, they have games out for them, but anyone even remotely considering playing a lot of computer games should not look at a Mac. That is not the purpose of these computers. The incredibly compact design will let families put the computer where a big, ugly PC case would not be able to go (ie. kitchen, bookshelf, bathroom(?)) Anyway, people do not buy a iMac because it has the latest and greatest GPU or is packed full of RAM. They buy them to do exactly what has been said before: to view pictures, listen to music, and send e-mail. My parents use a 700Mhz eMac with 256MB of RAM and they could not ask for anything more.

I hear YE! Its funny how most people can't get it through their thick skulls that MACs are not gaming machines . I bought my MAC solely for work purposes and at that it really excells . Oh the work that i do is graphic design which is what the mac was born to do
post #268 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
I'm convinced that consumers will love the iMac. Why? Because in many households the wife holds sway. Do you think it's chance that the iPod Mini has struck a chord with women with the colors and all. Women also seem to detest big bulky computers.

BwahahahahHahahahahahahah

The wife holds sway? In some areas, most definitely, but in computer purchasing? Think again.

I'll give you that women don't like big bulky computers, but they don't like big bulky anythings because they're such a pain in the @$$ to move when they do the "Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall" room rearrangement. Other than that, my wife doesn't care what the computer looks like, as long as she can get her email and balance her checkbook.

Heck, with my tower + display, she doesn't even have to look at the bulky tower since it's tucked away under the desk.
post #269 of 441
The iMacs' video chip is fully supported by CoreVideo and CoreImage. The iMacs will be fine with 10.4.
post #270 of 441
hi gang,

i think this is the imac's final permutation in it's evolutionary design.

this is truly an all in one in a way the original imac was and the imac2 wasn't. the imac2 was an aio in name only but not by design.

the graphics card is it's achilles heal but the rest of the specs look fine with a nice path for growth.

with it's next upgrade, it will have a 2ghz g5 and a 128mb graphics card and the sooner that comes out the better for the imac.

at it's price points, specs, design and growth potential, i think it will be a full blown success.

this along with a 12" ibook, is the perfect switcher/ipod convert computer.

pc ipod users discovers a renewed appreciation for design so they investigate purchasing a mac for the first time and experiments with an inexpensive ibook purchase witch leads to and appreciation for osx so they upgrade their destops to the imac to compliment their ibook and for increased power.

the three peices of hardware above are distinct and within budget.

the ibook experience is important as they download music (most of it illegal to start) they don't get viruses which have plagued them with their pc's.

the above scenerio is what i have experienced among a half dozen pc user friends in the last 6 months. the explosion started with the mini craze.

they have not made desktop purchases but when they do i do not think they will be buying g5 towers. the imac is perfect.

chung
post #271 of 441
I just got out of jury duty and immediately went to Apple's webpage to see the new iMac. Very impressed with the design and relative devcreases in price at the middle and high end from the previous models. Simplicity redefined.

Hope Apple gets a lot of switchers with this model, we'll see. Will I buy one to replace my aging 7500 w/ a G4 upgrade card, ATI Rage Pro, kind of doubt it. Looks like the low end tower will be for me.

Oh well good luck Apple
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #272 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
[/b].The fastest-growing market in the consumer sector is the ever-so-expandable "portable" computer, including desknotes as well as laptops. So much for expandability as a major consumer selling point. [/B]

You won't give up your little world will you? Portable systems are portable this is what people buy them for. Desktops are not portable in the same way that a laptop is, therefore they require a different reason for people to want them.
Making a laptop that isn't portable doesn't work (yes even those 10 lb + P4 laptops are at least luggable, although I wouldn't suggest running a marathon w/ one strapped to your back).

So what do you suppose this reason is?
Style? (iMacs1,2, and 3 have this)
Performance? (iMac1 had a decent amount, 2 and 3 bleh)
Choice in models? (iMac1 had a decent amount, 2 and 3? not even close, you get 2 models w/ choice of 2 different displays on second model)
Expandability? (hmm nope none to speak of)

So the iMac3 has 1 good reason to buy it. Yep a good niche Mac but not gonna be putting up numbers like the iMac1.
post #273 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
The wife holds sway? In some areas, most definitely, but in computer purchasing? Think again.

Preach it brother. That's so funny, I thought the same thing when I read his post. My wife can care less if it was green, purple, fuzzy or whatever, of course on the full understanding she receives her email, gets her e-Bay on and doesnt see my porn in her partition. I do however see the need for the AIO Apple; I myself was very excited about this iMac release because of the size. As posted early I live in an Apartment with limited space (lot of crap) and the iMac would have fit my space needs perfect, well plus my desire to have a G5. Due to my desire to game though, Ive decided to wait till the next release and buy another Powerbook instead. Boo Ho, woe is me.
post #274 of 441
Quote:
BwahahahahHahahahahahahah

:P Consider yourself lucky. She abdicates tech stuff to you. Not all men are so lucky. Stuffing a bunch of stuff in a home office is one thing but once you enter the domain of the living room the femme fatales take over. The don't call it Wife Acceptance Factor(WAF) for nothing.

Quote:
So the iMac3 has 1 good reason to buy it. Yep a good niche Mac but not gonna be putting up numbers like the iMac1.

Everyone seems to think there is some magical combination that will cause computer sales to spike like they did with the original iMac. Folks it isn't going to happen. The late 90's and early 2k had a Big Bang of sorts where there was a frenzy in computer buying. Apple could drop the new iMacs to $899 and it's unlikely that they'd hit those heady numbers. the average consumer is far more picky today and quite honestly has access to more equipment. I think Apple is doing the right thing by focusing on keeping the Mac sales from declining and moving into other lucrative areas(iPod).

The new iMac is worthy and I'll be glad to see one on my desk next year. There's nothing happening in the peecee land that has me excited anymore than this.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #275 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by glen
You can watch the Expo, including that video with Ives, here:

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

It doesn't work for me at this moment. Perhaps the Apple servers are too much loaded right now. Anyway, what is the conclusion?
post #276 of 441
1) For all those, "I can build my own machine for ...". Just one question. Did you build your own car? No? How LAME is that. If you built your own car it would be much faster and cheaper. Losers.

2) I DO game on my iMac and I have an 800mhz G4 iMac lamp (512 RAM) with a GeForce 2 video card right now. I play mainly twitchy FPS games like Quake III Arene, Return to Woflenstein, NeverWinter Nights, etc., plus Tiger Wood's Golf. I bought over 10 games like those in the last year.

Gee - the new iMac is so lame. It's only twice as fast as my current iMac. How lame is that? lol

3) I also use GarageBand to make music, .Mac to a couple of websites (which I also use iPhoto for). And I make DVDs that WOW my 13 and 15 year old niece and nephew. And I use my digital video camera and iMove (along with iDVD) to make DVDs of my vacation trips.

4) Kids don't like Macs? Uh, check out #3. They were REALLY Pi$sed when their dad bought a Dell instead of a Mac. They have a PS/2 for games because the Dell is too lame for them. Their words, not mine.

5) Last and maybe not least. When my wife is hogging the iMac I use a G3 tower with 256 MB of RAM running Panther (10.3.5) to write articles, surf the web, and e-mail. I'd LOVE to see someone using the same period Dell (or whatever) with the current version of XP and enjoying it. I still enjoy my G3 tower.
post #277 of 441
For those of you worried about losing the articulating arm of the old version, look here.

You can take off the foot, as has been mentioned and hang on the wall or attach to VESA standard articulating arms.

For me, I will just move/rotate the base and tilt if needed. I can't wait to receive mine. Let's see if the 3-4 wks holds true.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #278 of 441
I agree with the end of your post hmurchison.

I do however think that there are a lot of folks out there like my family, that kept putting off getting a new iMac because the features of the last version just never seemed right for the price. (Still have our iMac DVSE 400 that we bought as it was announced at the Keynote.) And besides the point it still works fine.

This new iMac is different. It has a great screen, is fast and the footprint is incredibly small! We just measured the space it will take up and finally we can put it directly in front of us in the kitchen at our desk area vs. off to the side on the adjacent countertop.

Plus, this version will cost me what the graphite version cost back then.

We ordered the 20" this morning. I bet the mid range will be the most popular however. We went for the bigger screen in anticipation of having this for another 5 years and kicking ourselves for getting the smaller version.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #279 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
According to the iMac tech specs page (it would be nice if this was actually checked by more people ), the new iMac has a max of 25dB.

Thanks I have checked the specs, 25 Db is the max when the processor is not busy ...
However they said that the fans are huge and are just turning at some hundreds rpm : I feel more secured.
post #280 of 441
Quote:
Originally posted by gunnerycox
This new line of iMacs is going to get those 13, 14, and 15, year olds excited about getting a Mac, as well as those college bound teens who need a computer, but don't want a laptop for one reason or another. Also with the recent deal between Duke and Apple the future for total university Mac saturation is coming. Soon Schools will be using Xservs as servers and PowerMacs in their high end labs, and the new iMacs in their libraries. If teens and twenty-somethings buy this as their first Mac to compliment their iPod!!! Whoa they will never go back to the noisy dusty beige box again! The next few years should be big for apple, because they will be establishing the next generation of Mac users in a never before seen way.

What country are you writing from, what country are you writing about?
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple unveils the new iMac G5