or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › GOP Contempt for Purple Hearts

GOP Contempt for Purple Hearts

post #1 of 60
This is simply disgusting. I didn't watch much of the GOP convention (only the keynote speeches). I didn't know that the GOP had stooped to such low, disturbing insensitivity to our wounded combat veterans, and general debauchery of the legacy of our soldiers:

http://www.on101.com/dishonor2/

Republicans should be ashamed of themselves. They know no bounds when it comes to playing dirty politics. How can they claim to be true patriots when they're willing to shit all over the purple heart?

Really?
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 60
Precisely. Because dirty politics is exclusive to Republicans and they should be ashamed.

As for the page you linked to:

Most Republicans are too chicken to serve? In a country of 250,000,000+ people, most of any demographic do not serve in our armed forces. Hardly a solid point there. Of course the use of "chicken" certainly isn't meant to be inflammatory.

I fail to see how the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh, Lott and Delay have anything to do with the administration, since they are not a part of it. I also wonder how many celebrities who consider themselves Democrats also failed to serve at those same times? People on both sides don't serve in every war. Our servicemen and women are a small minority of the population. This is hardly earthshaking.

"They'll gladly tell you to send your sons and daughters..." a bitter rancorous opinion. Not much more to it.

I will agree the purple heart bandaids are over the top and very poor taste. Classless really. No matter how valid or invalid one believes Kerry's service to be, or how meritorious his awards are, it is simply bad judgement to choose to express your dissent in this way. It mocks more than just Kerry, which while I doubt was the intent, was most certainly the end result.

I wonder if it can be cleared up for me since I'm not sure of it, but was the RNC behind this gimmick, or was it a 3rd party vendor?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #3 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
I wonder if it can be cleared up for me since I'm not sure of it, but was the RNC behind this gimmick, or was it a 3rd party vendor?

Come on now. You and I both know that EVERYTHING on the convention floor is vetted by the GOP. Somehow I don't think that excuse would fly for Democrats.
post #4 of 60
Quote:
Precisely. Because dirty politics is exclusive to Republicans and they should be ashamed.

No . . but they are obviously the ones who hold it dear to their hearts and use it most often and most rabidly . . . say what you will, but holding such strategy close to your heart for so long will turn your heart black.

As for the page you linked to:

Quote:
I fail to see how the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh, Lott and Delay have anything to do with the administration, since they are not a part of it.

You fail to see what these people have to do with the administration: come on! that's disengenuous and you know it! These poelpe are the the main sounding boards for the administration bullitins and hatriotic talking points! They are probably more responcible for the NeoCon-favorable climate than anybody else . . . can you say the word 'ambient'?

They are responsible for shifting the ambient climate of intellectual property far into the right-wing, as well as making it almost mnormal for us to expect bitter slander and sleazt dismissals as a mode of political discourse.

Quote:
I will agree the purple heart bandaids are over the top and very poor taste. Classless really. No matter how valid or invalid one believes Kerry's service to be, or how meritorious his awards are, it is simply bad judgement to choose to express your dissent in this way. It mocks more than just Kerry, which while I doubt was the intent, was most certainly the end result.

Nevertheless, just as all of the other shiit-throwing tactics, it sticks to you (literally) and so we have you coming in here and gliding over the issue of whether or not Kerry deserved his medals . . . there is NO reason that is grounded in any sort of remote truth to question the validity of ANY of Kerry's medals . . . the doctor that is talking out of his ass about this is doing just that, and probably never even met Kerry, cause he certainly didn't sign his medical reports . . . its sickening the way this works . .

and sickening to think that anyone with any ounce of decency would be swayed by this sort of shiite!
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #5 of 60
And there were the Band-Aids. The worst display of how out of touch the Republicans are was those Purple Heart Band-Aids the delegates wore to mock Kerry over his war wounds, which, for them, did not spill the required amount of blood.

What they didn't seem to get is that watching at home might have been millions of war veterans feeling that they were being ridiculed by a bunch of rich Republicans who would never send their own offspring to die in Fallujah or Danang.

MM
post #6 of 60
Somehow this image:

Just turns my stomach and makes me want to puke

. . or to punch her.

Despicable
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #7 of 60
Just add a dob of blood drooling from her mouth . . or spittle and it might get the true appropriate feeling accross.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #8 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Come on now. You and I both know that EVERYTHING on the convention floor is vetted by the GOP. Somehow I don't think that excuse would fly for Democrats.

I'm not claiming to not be aware of the fact that the parties approve every single aspect of what goes on indoors. However, just like sporting events, lots of things are for sale outside that aren't available inside.

I'm just inquiring as to where these things were being made available.

post #9 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Nevertheless, just as all of the other shiit-throwing tactics, it sticks to you (literally) and so we have you coming in here and gliding over the issue of whether or not Kerry deserved his medals

With all due respect you're just trying to start a fight with that statement. I didn't glide over anything. This is not a discussion about wether or not Kerry deserved his medals. It's about band-aids with purple hearts on them.

I have never questioned wether or not Kerry deserved the medals he received. Any implication otherwise is patently false.

post #10 of 60
Quote:
Somehow this image:

. . or to punch her.

Despicable

EVIL. Pure, unadulterated EVIL.
Is there a Republican anywhere nearby that I can spit on?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #11 of 60
Wait a minute. Are you serious pfflam? That was in jest!!!!???
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Just add a dob of blood drooling from her mouth . . or spittle and it might get the true appropriate feeling accross.

/bad taste alert

Now, now... you wouldn't want her to spill more blood than Kerry did.

/bad taste alert off

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #13 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
/bad taste alert

Now, now... you wouldn't want her to spill more blood than Kerry did.

/bad taste alert off

Nick

The whole subject is stupid, has nothing to do with running for the office of president, is a distraction from the real issues, and is in bad taste!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac
The whole subject is stupid, has nothing to do with running for the office of president, is a distraction from the real issues, and is in bad taste!

Well something has to be done to lighten the mood when others are pondering not only how to much they want to punch elderly women in the face, but how much they'll bleed.

Consider it my light-hearted way of quieting the boo's in the crowd.

Nick

post #15 of 60
Quote:
Well something has to be done to lighten the mood when others are pondering not only how to much they want to punch elderly women in the face, but how much they'll bleed.

Consider it my light-hearted way of quieting the boo's in the crowd.

Nick

Ha ha!

Wow, that is funny.

You know what's even funnier?

Those opportunistic little shits that volunteered to go to Iraq and fight!

Some of them are coming back with all their limbs intact and no disfiguring wounds! Talk about gaming the system!

And what's worse, some of them have noticed that the war isn't going very well and that sometimes it's hard to tell the people they're protecting from the people they're fighting! In fact, sometimes it's not even clear what the hell we're even doing there!

Cowards! Traitors!

And you know what? I bet some of them might even be democrats!

I know! Kind of makes you sick, doesn't it, using a noble war to further their own insane plans for power!

Go get 'em now, Trump, before they have the chance to parlay there fake "injuries" into some kind of political life. Confront them with your patented sardonic wit.

I'm sure you can pick them out without the help of a smear campaign.

They're the ones who can still walk.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #16 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Ha ha!

Wow, that is funny.

You know what's even funnier?

Those opportunistic little shits that volunteered to go to Iraq and fight!

Some of them are coming back with all their limbs intact and no disfiguring wounds! Talk about gaming the system!

And what's worse, some of them have noticed that the war isn't going very well and that sometimes it's hard to tell the people they're protecting from the people they're fighting! In fact, sometimes it's not even clear what the hell we're even doing there!

Cowards! Traitors!

And you know what? I bet some of them might even be democrats!

I know! Kind of makes you sick, doesn't it, using a noble war to further their own insane plans for power!

Go get 'em now, Trump, before they have the chance to parlay there fake "injuries" into some kind of political life. Confront them with your patented sardonic wit.

I'm sure you can pick them out without the help of a smear campaign.

They're the ones who can still walk.

Sure, all you have to do is show me how someone missing a limb would have to repeatedly request a purple heart and have it denied. Then you can show me how the service would have treated it iwth a band-aid and bactine. Otherwise you are saying that if one person can work the system, then the system itself is bad. Nice slippery-slope thinking but no one but you buys it.

You're going a little psycho with the prospect of a Bush re-election. Perhaps you should begin getting professional help now.

Laughingly, someone like yourself would want me "outraged" by Medicare premiums going up while not being outraged that someone is pondering punching an elderly woman until she requires medical attention.

Nick

post #17 of 60
I just want to know why Nick is defending these sticking plasters given out to attendees at the Republican conference. I think they're despicable.

Why do you not think they're despicable, Nick? It would be good to actually see your arguments as to why these sticking plasters are OK.
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
I just want to know why Nick is defending these sticking plasters given out to attendees at the Republican conference. I think they're despicable.

Why do you not think they're despicable, Nick? It would be good to actually see your arguments as to why these sticking plasters are OK.

Why are they okay? Because humor is good. If I can be religious and still laugh at South Park, then people who are political ought to be able to take a joke as well. If you think it is poor taste or whatever, that is your preogative. I like a good joke no matter who's expense it happens to be at. I laugh at Bush jokes and make them as well.

If the choice is freedom from offense or freedom from humor, then you're going to be awfully offended because I'll choose to laugh my ass off everytime.

Nick

post #19 of 60
Quote:
Why are they okay? Because humor is good.

Oh, that's OK then. Because I hope George Bush dies of cancer of the sphincter. I hope it happens as he watches a video of Laura Bush being arse-rammed by Donald Rumsfeld.

ONLY JOKING!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Actually, I hope it happens to you too! I hope you die of cancer of the sphincter! And I shagged your wife! I've got the video!

ONLY JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think this joke's in poor taste, well, I guess that's your prerogative!

What's wrong? Can't take a joke?

post #20 of 60
Quote:
And I shagged your wife! I've got the video!

Get me a copy and I can burn it to DVD for you.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge

Will do! Hey, anyone with a .mac account want to host?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

What a great joke this has turned into!
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Oh, that's OK then. Because I hope George Bush dies of cancer of the sphincter. I hope it happens as he watches a video of Laura Bush being arse-rammed by Donald Rumsfeld.

ONLY JOKING!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Actually, I hope it happens to you too! I hope you die of cancer of the sphincter! And I shagged your wife! I've got the video!

ONLY JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think this joke's in poor taste, well, I guess that's your prerogative!

What's wrong? Can't take a joke?

I'll gladly take your joke. Of course the best jokes need to have a bit of truth in them for us to relate to them. In this case picturing you actually having sex with something besides your left hand, is just not believeable.

That and of course you happen to be in the U.K. while I happen to be in California. Now some might believe this is possible because they've misheard you. They might think you have a dick that can reach from the U.K. to California when in reality it is just the distance over which you can act like one.

Let me know when you want to kiss and make up though. I'll kiss the booboo of your wounded leftist pride and make it better. I'll even give you a band-aid with a picture of your sphincter on it.

Nick

post #23 of 60
Quote:

Listen, if you're going to burn this to video, your going to have to do two things.

1) Get used to being rich because video of my wife having sex with Hassan would probably earn good money.

2) Make sure I get my percentage of the take.

Oh and you have to sing that "Let the Eagle Soar" song by Ashcroft while letting a midget whore tongue your arshole.

But seriously now, what I really want is the video of what you did with and to Shawn while he was locked up in your attic.

Nick

post #24 of 60
So what you're saying is it's OK to make fun of veterans now? That's the exact opposite of what your party has been saying.
post #25 of 60
Quote:
I'll gladly take your joke. Of course the best jokes need to have a bit of truth in them for us to relate to them. In this case picturing you actually having sex with something besides your left hand, is just not believeable.

snip

leftist pride and make it better. I'll even give you a band-aid with a picture of your sphincter on it.

Nick

i have to say, in spite of all, that some of this is actually quite witty.

I am, however, right-handed.
post #26 of 60
Talk about witty.
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Talk about witty.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

These people don't deserve Purple Hearts!

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No. 'Only' 'joking'.
post #28 of 60
Quote:
So what you're saying is it's OK to make fun of veterans now? That's the exact opposite of what your party has been saying.

I don't believe anyone is above satire. There are people on both the left and right who constantly challenge this assertion. I don't believe in limiting free speech and I really don't care who on the left or right disagrees with me.

Nick

post #29 of 60
Quote:
i have to say, in spite of all, that some of this is actually quite witty.

I am, however, right-handed.

I figured that would be on the keyboard typing while hot-chatting with me.

Nick

post #30 of 60
Quote:
These people don't deserve Purple Hearts!

Of course they do! Didn't you see those sticking plasters with the purple hearts on them? Give each soldier ONE! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

(wink wink, nudge nudge)
post #31 of 60
Quote:
I don't believe anyone is above satire. There are people on both the left and right who constantly challenge this assertion. I don't believe in limiting free speech and I really don't care who on the left or right disagrees with me.

That's all true unless it's Ronald Reagan that's died. Then we have to wait?
post #32 of 60
Nick's being witty. I don't like it.
post #33 of 60
Quote:
That's all true unless it's Ronald Reagan that's died. Then we have to wait?

Are you claiming the CBS miniseries was a satire?

Nick

post #34 of 60
Quote:
Are you claiming the CBS miniseries was a satire?

The one that was made long before Ronnie kicked the bucket? The one that got bumped to Showtime because of all the complaints from people that never even saw it?

I guess the 3 Iraqi National guard soldiers don't get any purple heart dressings for their wounds, do they? I mean, they're Iraqis, so they can't get purple hearts. Does that mean they have to bleed to death?

W00T! This is fun.
post #35 of 60
Quote:
The one that was made long before Ronnie kicked the bucket? The one that got bumped to Showtime because of all the complaints from people that never even saw it?

As I said people will do what they like, but I am not aware of anyone ever calling that mini-series a satire. I've heard it called historical fiction at best.

But what is your point? That people protest non-satires?

Quote:
I guess the 3 Iraqi National guard soldiers don't get any purple heart dressings for their wounds, do they? I mean, they're Iraqis, so they can't get purple hearts. Does that mean they have to bleed to death?

Whatever floats your boat.

Nick

post #36 of 60
Quote:
As I said people will do what they like, but I am not aware of anyone ever calling that mini-series a satire. I've heard it called historical fiction at best.

But what is your point? That people protest non-satires?

As usual, you hide and lie when you're losing an argument. Who mentioned satires?
post #37 of 60
Quote:
As usual, you hide and lie when you're losing an argument. Who mentioned satires?

Satire is a protected form of speech with regard to portraying people in a manner that may be inaccurate. Slander is an entirely different thing and is not protected speech. The Reagan miniseries was considered to be slanderous by those protesting it.

So as usual, you aren't really offering specifics, just declaring the other side bad while not really claiming what you stand for or against.

Sounds Kerry on Iraq, and it is about as convincing.

Nick

post #38 of 60
Quote:
Somehow this image:

. . or to punch her.

Despicable

And the fact that she never could have been drafted raises more questions...if the draft comes back, the ladies are going too, this time.
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
And the fact that she never could have been drafted raises more questions...if the draft comes back, the ladies are going too, this time.

would being a druggie help in dodging a draft?

and i would probably be unfit for service anyway, because when our P.E teacher makes us run a mile, i can never finish under the passing time, i mean can't run like everyone else.....i'm always short of breath and have chest pain if i try to run at the same pace as my classmates...

AND....my back isn't likely to get any better by the time i'm 16...and the sad thing is that when i'm gonna get older, i might also end up popping pills like Rush...i mean, it seriously hurts!

-Neø
Crunch for the Cure!
http://www.find-a-drug.org/

---------------------------------
God created Adam and Eve, He didnt create Adam and Steve
-Rep. Roscoe Bartlett
Crunch for the Cure!
http://www.find-a-drug.org/

---------------------------------
God created Adam and Eve, He didnt create Adam and Steve
-Rep. Roscoe Bartlett
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally posted by Neø
would being a druggie help in dodging a draft?

and i would probably be unfit for service anyway, because when our P.E teacher makes us run a mile, i can never finish under the passing time, i mean can't run like everyone else.....i'm always short of breath and have chest pain if i try to run at the same pace as my classmates...

AND....my back isn't likely to get any better by the time i'm 16...and the sad thing is that when i'm gonna get older, i might also end up popping pills like Rush...i mean, it seriously hurts!

-Neø

Do you manage to turn EVERYTHING into a pill popping discussion?

And when you get older, you'll probably realize how illogical and flawed Rush's arguments are.

Oh, and the Army could use you as cannon fodder. Or cover. Don't feel bad!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › GOP Contempt for Purple Hearts