or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush Audience Boos W's Best Wishes To Clinton

Bush Audience Boos W's Best Wishes To Clinton

post #1 of 46
From the AP via Yahoo:

Yahoo

President Bush on Friday wished Bill Clinton _"best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery."

"He's is in our thoughts and prayers," Bush said at a campaign rally.

Bush's audience of thousands in West Allis, Wis., booed. Bush did nothing to stop them.

I went to the page and read the article, which at the time was posted "35 minutes ago" then I rated it a "5" hoping to push up the story in the Yahoo archives. After rating it I went back to the article which was now posted "1 minute ago" and revised with NO MENTION of the booing! WTF?! I've noticed Yahoo doing this from time to time but never to the extent where they removed a SIGNIFICANT detail from the story.

They boo the UN, they boo an ex-president about to undergo a quadruple bypass....what was that catchy little song they played at the end of Bush's speech last night? _ Oh yes...."Put a little love in your heart.....mmmm"

Imagine if that was Kerry at one his rallies and his audience booed Reagan's death? Imagine.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 46
Here's an article that didn't edit the booing part out:

http://cbsnewyork.com/nynews/NY--Bus...rces_news_html

Disgusting behavior from a group that claims to always take the high road and shoved their "bereavement" over Reagan down our throats. And Bush did NOTHING to stop it. Wow.

If there were ever a glimpse into the soul of a man running for president, this was it.
post #3 of 46
/sarcasm
Well, it's Bill Clinton, the liar. It's obviously a sympathy plot to kill the Bush convention bounce. Boo!

Clinton's heart has got nothing on Cheney. Cheney had his first heart attack in his 30s!

GOP 2004!

/end sarcasm
post #4 of 46
Heart bypass? What won't the Clintons do to steal the camera!
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #5 of 46
With the GOP, these days, its a thin veneer . . .
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
I went to the page and read the article, which at the time was posted "35 minutes ago" then I rated it a "5" hoping to push up the story in the Yahoo archives. After rating it I went back to the article which was now posted "1 minute ago" and revised with NO MENTION of the booing! WTF?! I've noticed Yahoo doing this from time to time but never to the extent where they removed a SIGNIFICANT detail from the story.

Apparently, the story was discredited and retracted. Here are text and audio links of the speech:

Text(May have to go through the Drudge Report to get the link to work?)

Audio
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Here's an article that didn't edit the booing part out:

http://cbsnewyork.com/nynews/NY--Bus...rces_news_html

Disgusting behavior from a group that claims to always take the high road and shoved their "bereavement" over Reagan down our throats. And Bush did NOTHING to stop it. Wow.

If there were ever a glimpse into the soul of a man running for president, this was it.

I know... and he praised Clinton while unveiling his photo as well...

Wishing him well, praising him.. Bush must be pure evil.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #8 of 46
Standard behavior from a Bush audience. Can anyone honestly expect anything else?

Next topic....
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #9 of 46
Honestly, what could Bush have done?

he's not exactly in a position to tell booing crowds of people that support him to shut up.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #10 of 46
one of the first things you learn in a public speaking class is that sometimes an audience may disagree, sometimes verbally, and rudely. The speech writers and coordinators made a mistake, this could have been delt with better in a Whitehouse press release or tomorrows radio address, there the crowd reaction factor is eliminated.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by iPoster
Apparently, the story was discredited and retracted. Here are text and audio links of the speech:

Text(May have to go through the Drudge Report to get the link to work?)

Audio

That same clip was just played on MSNBC, everyone was applauding, i heard no booing...
post #12 of 46
I saw it yesterday.

Either the BBC edited in boo-ing, or your source has edited in applause.
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
I saw it yesterday.

Either the BBC edited in boo-ing, or your source has edited in applause.

Remember Michael Moore's "controversial" Oscar acceptance speech for "Bowling for Columbine"? There was more cheering than booing...as you would expect from a liberal Hollywood crowd...but the media producers selectively muted and advanced the audience mic faders to give the impression of a "mostly booing" rather than a "mostly cheering" crowd.
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot

he's not exactly in a position to tell booing crowds of people that support him to shut up.

Actually, Bush was in a better position than anyone to do just that.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #15 of 46
Quote:

Yeah, ok. Irrespective of whether the booing happened or not I think we've all seen it happen many times in sports and even politics where the person with the mic has the tact and the class to say something gracious about his or her opponent to stop the booing. You wouldn't really say "shut up".
post #16 of 46
Quote:

He could've said "Listen. I know that ya'll don't like former President Clinton. I know that. But this a man who is a part of American history whether you like it or not. This is a former President, and this office deserves respect, whether you agree with it or not. Finally, this is a human being and a national figure who is going through a serious illness. All ya'll who are booing should be ashamed of yourselves. And while I'm at it, those people who wore the band-aid purple hearts were all assholes. Shame on you."
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
Remember Michael Moore's "controversial" Oscar acceptance speech for "Bowling for Columbine"? There was more cheering than booing...as you would expect from a liberal Hollywood crowd...but the media producers selectively muted and advanced the audience mic faders to give the impression of a "mostly booing" rather than a "mostly cheering" crowd.

Goodness me, this culture war thing is getting out of hand.

I had no idea that right wing media barons were now taking to operating sound boards at Hollywood events.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Actually, Bush was in a better position than anyone to do just that.

how so?
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #19 of 46
So nobody booed?
What's our next controversy people? We have two months to go and I need more juvenile excitement...politics is almost as fun as the Olympics, without the altruism.
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #20 of 46
Quote:
how so?

He was at a microphone.
post #21 of 46
Maybe they were doing like ABC did during the president's speech during the convention and editing in the booing from Qatar or somewhere similar.

Also can someone link to any of this booing? I've heard audio of cheers, but no boos.

Nick

post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Maybe they were doing like ABC did during the president's speech during the convention and editing in the booing from Qatar or somewhere similar.

Also can someone link to any of this booing? I've heard audio of cheers, but no boos.

Nick

I think the story is that the reporter just got it wrong. No booing. Just oohing.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
He was at a microphone.

Duh(bya), but he's also running for president in a pretty close race, and needs all the brownie points he can get. If he had told a crowd that despises clinton and was happy in their disposition(ha!) to shut up. Not only would it have been bad press, but the crowd themselves would feel betrayed. Additionally, things like that spread like wildfire, Remember the dean scream? sure it wasn't the only reason he lost the nomination, but it's the only one people will remember.

Sure, he was in a good position, physically, but I don't see how any actions he could have easily taken(being at a microphone and all that) could have helped him at all, though I can think of a few ways it could have hurt him.

Like, even if he tried the most carefully executed "look I know you" type speech, it probably would just had the crowd boo louder( to get HIM to shut up)

That aside, it seems like there was no booing at all? so blah.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #24 of 46
Quote:

Looks to me like Trumptman is referring to a different example.

It's not that hard for someone to politely tell a crowd to show some respect if you have two things.

One, a little respect yourself for the target.
Two, a little intelligence.

Bush is shy on both counts I imagine, but primarily the second.
post #25 of 46
Quote:

It's not that hard for someone to politely tell a crowd to show some respect if you have two things.

And that's why I refer to my earlier question.

how so?

what could bush have said, how could he have phrased it, to get a bunch of trumptmen to actually stop booing clinton? Without a major ding to his rep, and without getting booed himself.

ya know?
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Duh(bya), but he's also running for president in a pretty close race, and needs all the brownie points he can get. If he had told a crowd that despises clinton and was happy in their disposition(ha!) to shut up. Not only would it have been bad press, but the crowd themselves would feel betrayed. Additionally, things like that spread like wildfire, Remember the dean scream? sure it wasn't the only reason he lost the nomination, but it's the only one people will remember.

Sure, he was in a good position, physically, but I don't see how any actions he could have easily taken(being at a microphone and all that) could have helped him at all, though I can think of a few ways it could have hurt him.

Like, even if he tried the most carefully executed "look I know you" type speech, it probably would just had the crowd boo louder( to get HIM to shut up)

You mean you actually think he would lose the votes of a heavily vetted crowd? No way.
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
You mean you actually think he would lose the votes of a heavily vetted crowd? No way.

Thank you.

When Ronnie died, there were lots of things to say about how presidents should be given respect. Bush could have just repeated himself and been just fine.

But Bush doesn't treat the office with respect.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Thank you.

When Ronnie died, there were lots of things to say about how presidents should be given respect. Bush could have just repeated himself and been just fine.

But Bush doesn't treat the office with respect.

Excuse me but this story has already been discredited as erroneous. The AP has retracted and corrected their story as follows:

"This is a correction to an incorrect story posted by AP on Friday stating the crowd booed the President when he sent his good wishes. The crowd, in fact, did NOT boo."

Also:

ABC Radio Network news also confirmed that the Clinton reference was applauded, not jeered.

In its original version of the story, the AP had reported: "Bush's audience of thousands in West Allis, Wis., booed. Bush did nothing to stop them."

And:

In a revised version of the story that moved on the wire late Friday, the AP said: "The crowd reacted with applause and with some 'ooohs,' apparently surprised by the news that Clinton was ill."

Looks like a bunch of you look pretty foolish right now. You may want to wait until the real story is out before you look like complete idiots. Is it little wonder that two national polls now show that Bush has opened up a double digit lead?
post #29 of 46
Did Bush comment on Clinton today?

I saw a news snippet on the BBC today, where the crowd definately do not boo, in contrast to yesterday where the crowd did boo.

Me thinks there are 2 reels going around.
post #30 of 46
Quote:

No, not of the crowd specifically, but I think that it would ripple like the dean scream, and possibly affect other voters, completely detached from the incident. Probably wouldn't sway anybodies vote, but reputation, yea.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by 7E7
Looks like a bunch of you look pretty foolish right now. You may want to wait until the real story is out before you look like complete idiots. Is it little wonder that two national polls now show that Bush has opened up a double digit lead?

We know this. The question is now a hypothetical: what could Bush have done had this been true.
post #32 of 46
Quote:

I was looking at all the examples posted in this thread. I asked for someone to post audio of the booing since it was claimed to be available.

I'm not referring to a different example, I'm referring to that which was posted here.

Quote:
And that's why I refer to my earlier question.

how so?

what could bush have said, how could he have phrased it, to get a bunch of trumptmen to actually stop booing clinton? Without a major ding to his rep, and without getting booed himself.

ya know?

Can the conjecture about how I would act relating to the conjecture about how Bush should have acted regarding the conjecture about whether booing occured or not be held to a minimum until at least the first bit of conjecture, the booing, is confirmed.

Otherwise, I'll have to see your conjecture and raise you.

Nick

post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by 7E7
[B]Excuse me but this story has already been discredited as erroneous. The AP has retracted and corrected their story as follows:

Uhh, a little late to the party are you? We know that. We're doing the hypothetical game here.
Quote:

Ahh, there it is. A Bushie didn't take the time to read the bloody thread and jumped to Bush's defence. What was that about looking foolish and like complete idiots?
post #34 of 46
I add my 2 cents to the hypothetical discussion:

A simple "Please" spoken through the microphone could easily quiet a crowd and placate all parties.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
I add my 2 cents to the hypothetical discussion:

A simple "Please" spoken through the microphone could easily quiet a crowd and placate all parties.

It'd never work. This would be better: "Would everyone who booed please stand up. [people stand] You're all assholes."
post #36 of 46
Quote:
No, not of the crowd specifically, but I think that it would ripple like the dean scream, and possibly affect other voters, completely detached from the incident. Probably wouldn't sway anybodies vote, but reputation, yea.

I find it hard to believe you can't see how Bush could've not only taken the steam out of the crowd, but like any politician, turn the scenario to his advantage.

Bush: Our get well wishes to Bill Clinton. We wish him a speedy recovery.

Idiots: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Bush: *motioning with his arms for the crowd to settle down* "Now, now. We're not a hateful party. Let's leave that stuff to others. We're uniters, we're the party of compassion and of respect of the highest office."

There's better examples, but I hope you get the point. Bush diffused a potentially nasty situation, bailed the crowd of idiots and scored points with his "compassion" and respect to the office.

Disclaimer: Hypothetical.
post #37 of 46
Yea, maybe that'd work. But I dunno, the clinton hatred is pretty crazy sometimes, and when people are booing, they don't generally like being told what to do.

also, particularly in our soundbyte politics, it seems like bush responding would be taken the wrong way, no matter what he said.

unless, he really earnestly cared for bill clinton's well being, and he was genuinely offended by a booing crowd.

Hypothetically of course
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Yea, maybe that'd work. But I dunno, the clinton hatred is pretty crazy sometimes,

Not hypothetical. I simply don't understand the Clinton hatred. I mean, seriously. Why the right wing in America thinks he's the anti-Christ is beyond me. I simply don't understand what, exactly, he did to piss them off so much.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Not hypothetical. I simply don't understand the Clinton hatred. I mean, seriously. Why the right wing in America thinks he's the anti-Christ is beyond me. I simply don't understand what, exactly, he did to piss them off so much.

I'm sure many feel the same way about the bush hatred...or the reagan hatred...
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #40 of 46
Quote:

Clinton is exactly what Bush is in many ways. First Clinton never got a majority of the votes cast. He was basically elected the first time because Perot peeled so many votes off from Bush I, and then bailed on the race. (If I recall correctly, Clinton was elected with 43% of the popular vote the first time he was elected and 49% the second)

So you have someone who comes from a weak position and yet seems to do so much better than that position should dictate. It isn't just that Bush was elected. It is that he managed to keep his party in power in the House, help them retake the Senate after Jefford's defection and might take this election to even though the Democrats have loads of hard and soft cash, movie/documentaries, wheelbarrows full of books, a full slate of talented candidates who have charted a pretty middle of the road coarse in running their campaign, etc. Add on top of that a tepid, but improving economy, and some large deficits, and well... Terry really ought to be fired.

The fact that they consider Bush an utter moron and some how he has the ability to still come out on top of all of this is probably what inspires pure hatred. Then when they imagine that Bush while dumb as a doorknob in their books is still probably still smart enough to a)keep his dick in his pants or b) at least not shoot his wad on her dress it just makes the whole thought on the effectiveness of a second term just that much more intolerable.

Nick

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush Audience Boos W's Best Wishes To Clinton