or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › If the World could vote in the US Presidential Election.....

If the World could vote in the US Presidential Election..... - Page 3

post #81 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by kneelbeforezod
That's just the point. Sometines it is in ones own best interest not to piss everyone else off, even if it means not getting to do what you want all the time.

It's never been important in foriegn policy to be popular---only to be able to bring home the bacon. America's history is not one of being popular. Look what she has done to Britain last century. There is a "don't screw with us" pattern that I think America has had since she was able to kick ass---basically from 1812 on. You can't get want you want AND be popluar, and let's be VERY honest, ANY

ANY

ANY

ANY

other country represented here would put the EXACT, same emphasis on self interest FIRST---especially if She were in America's position---it's always been that way.

It's just disingenous to purport that national self interest can be reduced to, or even fairly judged by, an internet popularity contest. It's the worst sort of nonsense.

Anyway, smartass remarks aside, you are all with few exceptions, very intelligent people, I really respect your posts. I gotta quit---I'm going to miss my FedEx cutoff.

(edit: and don't confuse what I'm saying with some sort of supposition that America can't blunder in forign policy.Look at Viet Nam---trying to force feed "Democracy" to Buddists who were not ready for it.)

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #82 of 85
Here are some comments from folks around here.

http://www.chronicallybiased.com/index.php?itemid=1477
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #83 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
Here are some comments from folks around here.

http://www.chronicallybiased.com/index.php?itemid=1477

You love that website don't you?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #84 of 85
I linked there twice today. Have not linked there in a long time but I read everyday.

Moe L
post #85 of 85
It's truly frightening to read those comments.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › If the World could vote in the US Presidential Election.....