or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Coke at Camp David; Graham's bombshell!

Coke at Camp David; Graham's bombshell!

post #1 of 15
News of Kitty Kelley's book, full of shocking Bush family revelations, is starting to spread in perfect cadence to the book's September 14th release schedule.

With the buzz going abroad, it was too much for two U.S. newspapers to resist, though both tried to temper the news with misleading headlines. The Chicago Sun-Times headline: Book: Bush 'did coke at Camp David' years ago. The Boston Herald: Book: Bush once snorted cocaine at Camp David.

The source of the allegations is Sharon Bush, the president's former sister-in-law, and they are laid out in the new explosive forthcoming book The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty.

The story is more credible than the Swift Boat Liars (Sharon Bush was part of the Bush clan, while the Swift Boat Liars didn't serve on Kerry's boat, and official records dispute every single allegation). Let's see how the media treatment compares.

Meanwhile, a more substantive book by Senator Graham makes this astonishing charge:

Quote:
Two of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers had a support network in the United States that included agents of the Saudi government, and the Bush administration and FBI blocked a congressional investigation into that relationship, Sen. Bob Graham wrote in a book to be released Tuesday.

The discovery of the financial backing of the two hijackers ''would draw a direct line between the terrorists and the government of Saudi Arabia, and trigger an attempted coverup by the Bush administration,'' the Florida Democrat wrote.

And in Graham's book, Intelligence Matters, obtained by The Herald Saturday, he makes clear that some details of that financial support from Saudi Arabia were in the 27 pages of the congressional inquiry's final report that were blocked from release by the administration, despite the pleas of leaders of both parties on the House and Senate intelligence committees.

Coke at Camp David is much sexier than covering up Saudi involvement in 9-11, so if either of these stories receives press time, it'll probably be the former.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 15
This might be an issue if Bush were getting shitfaced, doing a few fat lines and making policy decisions now (which, despite what his policies might indicate, I do not believe to be the case)...but I don't see it as being pertinent to anything. So he partied back in the 70s and 80s. BFD. Whether or not he is a total fuckup sober is what the papers should be discussing.

Edit: having re-read your post, I see you are pretty much saying the same thing. The media is focusing on a sexy story instead of a boring, complicated one that has real ramifications.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by kneelbeforezod
This might be an issue if Bush were getting shitfaced, doing a few fat lines and making policy decisions now (which, despite what his policies might indicate, I do not believe to be the case)...but I don't see it as being pertinent to anything. So he partied back in the 70s and 80s. BFD. Whether or not he is a total fuckup sober is what the papers should be discussing.

Edit: having re-read your post, I see you are pretty much saying the same thing. The media is focusing on a sexy story instead of a boring, complicated one that has real ramifications.

Yes. Exactly.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #4 of 15
But isn't it interesting that your logic regarding Bush's behavior 30 years ago does not apply to John Kerry? The american public seems to believe that Bush's behavior is acceptable and that John Kerry's ambitions are not. Interesting.
post #5 of 15
I am part of the American public, and I care just as little about John Kerry's non-political past as I do Bush's, for the record.

post #6 of 15
"70's and 80's?"
"30 years ago?"

Bush would have been at Camp David during Daddy's presidency, which was '88 to '92. GWB was hardly a "kid" then.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #7 of 15
Bush did coke at Camp David? I just got slightly more likely to vote for him.
post #8 of 15
It just seems to me that the public at large shrugs their shoulders at George Bush's TANG record, his alcoholism, his drunk driving accident and his coccaine snorting at Camp David.

But...

We need to take a serious hard look at John Kerry's purple hearts and verify if he bled the prerequisit amount to insure we're not electing an over-ambitious public servant.

The double-standard is amazing!
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
But isn't it interesting that your logic regarding Bush's behavior 30 years ago does not apply to John Kerry? The american public seems to believe that Bush's behavior is acceptable and that John Kerry's ambitions are not. Interesting.

And....isn't interesting how the media went into hysterics about Bill Clinton's "experiment with pot without inhaling {!}", but when it comes to the numerous allegations about Bush's coke abuse, combined with (Bush's) refusal to talk about his past involvement with drugs, (and his admitted alcoholism) the media is virtually mute. What is the inference from that? Cocaine is OK, pot is not? Sounds absurd, yes....

Another parallel here: The media jumped on the Swift Boat allegations...(read lies), but ignored the fact that so many individuals in this administration, and high level supporters, deliberately evaded service in Vietnam. What is the inference from that? It's OK to be a rightwing Chickenhawk, but to be a "liberal combat hero" is a concept that must be destroyed in the public eye, even by lies and false accusations.

If he did coke, then he should talk about it and come clean. Lots of people do stupid things, its a part of being human. Let the American people decide the presidency on knowing *all* the facts, We can handle it.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
"70's and 80's?"
"30 years ago?"

Bush would have been at Camp David during Daddy's presidency, which was '88 to '92. GWB was hardly a "kid" then.

Yeah, because as we all know you can only go there when your dad is president. Which would mean all those years Bush Sr. was Vice President before that can't count.

post #11 of 15
Maybe W will claim he didn't inhale.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
"70's and 80's?"
"30 years ago?"

To many, he still is a kid. He's 58 now, so he would've been 42-46 back then. When did he become "born again"?

If the past is any indication, expect the Republican attack machine to come out and say Sharon Bush was the real coke head. And the press will just say...."ohhhh, ok".

We'll see if the Christian Coalition is bothered by a potentially little "white" lie like that. Nah. This story has no legs true or not.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
To many, he still is a kid. He's 58 now, so he would've been 42-46 back then. When did he become "born again"?

If the past is any indication, expect the Republican attack machine to come out and say Sharon Bush was the real coke head. And the press will just say...."ohhhh, ok".

We'll see if the Christian Coalition is bothered by a potentially little "white" lie like that. Nah. This story has no legs true or not.

I hear that.

Kerry: Everything, and I mean everything, must be examined in excruciating detail and judgments must be applied.

Bush: Youthful indiscretions...whatever.

It's infuriating, isn't it?
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
[B]And....isn't interesting how the media went into hysterics about Bill Clinton's "experiment with pot without inhaling {!}", but when it comes to the numerous allegations about Bush's coke abuse, combined with (Bush's) refusal to talk about his past involvement with drugs, (and his admitted alcoholism) the media is virtually mute.

THE DAILY SHOW

CORDDRY: I'm a reporter, Jon, and my job is to spend half the time repeating what one side says, and half the time repeating the other. Little thing called "objectivity"--might wanna look it up someday.

STEWART: Doesn't objectivity mean objectively weighing the evidence and calling out what's credible and what isn't?

CORDDRY: Whoa-ho! Well, well, well--sounds like someone wants the media to act as a filter! [high-pitched, effeminate] "Ooh, this allegation is spurious! Upon investigation this claim lacks any basis in reality! Mmm, mmm, mmm." Listen buddy: not my job to stand between the people talking to me and the people listening to me.

[...]

STEWART: So, basically, you're saying that this back-and-forth is never going to end.

CORDDRY: No, Jon--in fact a new group has emerged, this one composed of former Bush colleagues, challenging the President's activities during the Vietnam era. That group: Drunken Stateside Sons of Privilege for Plausible Deniability...
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
CORDDRY: No, Jon--in fact a new group has emerged, this one composed of former Bush colleagues, challenging the President's activities during the Vietnam era. That group: Drunken Stateside Sons of Privilege for Plausible Deniability...

What a great show that is.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Coke at Camp David; Graham's bombshell!