or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Another leftist attack bites the dust?

Another leftist attack bites the dust? - Page 7

post #241 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
No, he's a bad man. I'm not smearing him- he really is, and he's been banned about nine times. I tried with the guy for weeks about two years ago. I promise you, not even you'll want to defend him.

No soup for you!

post #242 of 278
okay, three-minute rounds?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #243 of 278
Some more damaging info... CBS had two other experts look at the document before their broadcast and both disputed their authenticity. CBS ignored their concerns and conclusions. Worse still both have had to come forward on ABCNews because CBS wasn't even willing to broadcast their reservations about the documents.

ABCNews

Again, just more proof that this was propoganda posing as news.

Now all the SwiftBoat critics, I really want something explained to me. The SBV were considered to be doing Bush's "dirty work" for him and Democrats maintained that they were tied to the Bush campaign.

Barnes is registered as a Democrat.
He HELD OFFICE as a Democrat.
He has given $350,000+ to Democratic candidates and organizations this year according to Open Secrets.
He is listed on John Kerry's official website as a Vice-Chair of Fundraising.
He recanted his previous story about Bush.
His daughter said he lied.
The CBS footage of Barnes actually ends up in the new DNC ad. (BTW both CBS and NBC claim copyright infringement and want their footage pulled)

But hey, no connection, no collusion, no doubts, no questioning, nothing?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #244 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Some more damaging info... CBS had two other experts look at the document before their broadcast and both disputed their authenticity. CBS ignored their concerns and conclusions. Worse still both have had to come forward on ABCNews because CBS wasn't even willing to broadcast their reservations about the documents.

ABCNews

Now all the SwiftBoat critics, I really want something explained to me. The SBV were considered to be doing Bush's "dirty work" for him and Democrats maintained that they were tied to the Bush campaign.

He has given $350,000+ to Democratic candidates and organizations this year according to Open Secrets.
The CBS footage of Barnes actually ends up in the new DNC ad. (BTW both CBS and NBC claim copyright infringement and want their footage pulled)

Nick

This is just yet another example of the old-fashioned double standard. Of course, liberals have never let the facts get in the way of a good argument. Quite frankly, they are looking more and more foolish and stupid everyday.
post #245 of 278
Quote:

ABCNews

Nick

Hmm. Is this it? Is this the Kerry campaign playing ABC off of CBS? And then off the right wing in general? The more the right attends to this, the more it stays in the news. And Kerry doesn't even have to say a word about it....
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #246 of 278
Looks like there may be a bad habit here:

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/op...ists/28563.htm
post #247 of 278

So it turns out that if you open one of the Dan Rather memos in Photoshop and adjust the levels, crumple marks show up on the paper. This was probably done by the incredibly inept forger to increase the apparent age of the document, and to make the text appear more ragged. But at least we now know what Sandy Berger smuggled out in his shorts.

post #248 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX

Yeah, that whole misuse of classified documents is sure nothing worth caring about hunh?!

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #249 of 278
Josh Marshall

Quote:
The word is out and about now that the CBS Bush National Guard memos are not forgeries but rather recreations of actual documents authored by Lt. Col. Killian.

That theory gains credence from the fact that Killian's secretary has

Advertisement
now said that though she believes these memos are not real that their contents reflect real documents that once existed in Killian's personal file -- ones she herself typed.

There's a word, though, for these sorts of recreations, if that's what they are: forgeries.

There's no sense or possibility of getting around that.

The late news that two of CBS's own experts had questions about the authenticity of these documents is really all you need to know to see that this piece never should have run as it did. At a minimum, when the original story ran, CBS should have shared with viewers the questions their own experts were apparently raising about the documents' authenticity.

Spin about how the "real" documents that no one seems to have backing their stories, it is not to see that someone on the left calls these documents what they truly are... forgeries.

Nick

post #250 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Yeah, that whole misuse of classified documents is sure nothing worth caring about hunh?!

So, did they make any arrests yet?
post #251 of 278
Quote:

CBS news should voluntarily close up shop.
post #252 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
CBS news should voluntarily close up shop.

I'm scared for your country.
post #253 of 278
I found this today. It's a NYT opinion piece, but I agree with much of what the author says and find it relevant to the discussion here.

NYT link
Quote:
An excerpt:
President Bush's paramount problem with his National Guard years is not that he took shortcuts in 1972. The problem is that he still refuses to come clean about it.

So as we get caught up in the furor over the CBS documents showing favoritism in President Bush's National Guard career, let's bear a couple of points in mind.

First, there's reason to be suspicious of some of those CBS documents. [...]

Second, we shouldn't be distracted by our doubts about the CBS documents. [...]

What troubles me is less Mr. Bush's advantage three decades ago and more his denial today. [...]
post #254 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
I'm scared for your country.

Why? Because I think a news outfit that's been shown to fabricating information to hurt a political candidate would see the error of their ways and decide it's better to quit?
post #255 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by Ra
I found this today. It's a NYT opinion piece, but I agree with much of what the author says and find it relevant to the discussion here.

NYT link

Rather [no pun] it shows how irrelevant the NYT is. NYT should be taking CBS to the woodshed for eagerly representing forged documents are real. It would be a good opportunity to urge journalistic standards in the media. But instead the CBS fraud is ... another opportunity for the NYT to bash Bush?
post #256 of 278
I'll stop worrying on the NYT's behalf when George Bush makes a categorical denial of this awful (terribly plausible) 'fraud'.

I'll start holding my breath... now.
post #257 of 278
Quote:
Rather [no pun] it shows how irrelevant the NYT is. NYT should be taking CBS to the woodshed for eagerly representing forged documents are real. It would be a good opportunity to urge journalistic standards in the media. But instead the CBS fraud is ... another opportunity for the NYT to bash Bush?

Gag....

Read this

Quote:
Yes, a shaky tale about Bush has produced instant outrage. But what if you broadcast shaky tales about Democrats? Twelve years later, has anyone ever made the New York Times explain its Jeff Gerth Whitewater hoaxthe hoax-like stories that gave the name to a decade of phony tales about Clinton? Has anyone ever made the press to explain all those bogus tales about Gore? And by the waywill anyone ever ask ONeill why he keeps saying that John Kerry fled? At best, ONeills kooky book is highly marginal; more reasonably judged, the book is a joke. But has anyone landed on ONeill the way the press corps has beaned Kitty Kelley? Indeed, very few papers have even printed a formal review of ONeills kooky book. Liberal bias? To all appearances, major papers are afraid to say how kooky this book really is.

Readers, treat yourselves to a dark, mordant chuckle! ONeill has dissembled all over the landand the wolves are screaming for Dan Rathers head! But were supposed to see these troubling events as the latest proof of a liberal bias. Big orgs have produced a string of fake tales about Demsbut one shaky tale about Bush proves a point. Well-trained pundits swarm over cable. And they know what to yell: Liberal bias!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #258 of 278
Nice try but
post #259 of 278
Quote:
Nice try but

What a trenchant rebuttal!
post #260 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
What a trenchant rebuttal!

Why should he rebutt a post with the phrasing and tone of a fairy tale?

You didn't post facts. You posted a fable that should have started "it was a dark and stormy night."

Nick

post #261 of 278
Quote:
Why should he rebutt a post with the phrasing and tone of a fairy tale?

You didn't post facts. You posted a fable that should have started "it was a dark and stormy night."

Nick

The plot thockens.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Sep15.html
post #262 of 278
Quote:
The plot thockens.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Sep15.html

NaplesX, you have a pw? Bugmenot.com is not working for me.
post #263 of 278
Quote:
The plot thockens.

You made me snort coffee through my nose with that one. Thockens, indeed!
post #264 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by ghost killa
NaplesX, you have a pw? Bugmenot.com is not working for me.

Easy solution: Register.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #265 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by ghost killa
So, did they make any arrests yet?

The right-wing media does it all the time.

In February 2004, for instance, Fox News broadcasters Brit Hume, Sean Hannity, and John Gibson all showed a photo of John Kerry standing next to Jane Fonda on a podium at an anti-Vietnam War rally in the 1970s. It turns out the photo was fake.

Did hordes of media critics demand retractions from Hume, Hannity, and Gibson?

Of course not.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #266 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate

In February 2004, for instance, Fox News broadcasters Brit Hume, Sean Hannity, and John Gibson all showed a photo of John Kerry standing next to Jane Fonda on a podium at an anti-Vietnam War rally in the 1970s. It turns out the photo was fake.

Of course not.

First you fail to mention that it was the New York Times who fell for the photo story first. It was also proven a fake and widely reported as so. Additionally the source, Ted Sampley, was named and discredited. This was widely reported and I have no doubt that the networks you named reported it as well. CBS has not even admitted that the documents are fake.

CBS has a clear history of actions in this areas. Perhaps you should read up on it.

CBS history

Nick

post #267 of 278
Quote:

Of course not.

Two things:

I remember that very clearly.

1) every media outlet ran that story

2) Fox immediately reported that it was fake.

So there is no reason to demand retraction when they did it right up front.
post #268 of 278
Where was the controversy over the forged Niger documents?

Seems like these forged memos have got way more play in the last week then the Niger forgeries got in their first week.

Maybe this is all a ruse to take people's attention off of Bush Administration suppression of scientific evidence that anti-depressants are a serious suicide risk to our children.

Maybe this is all a ruse to try and deactive Niger forgery campaigning later, but that forgery was trumpeted by the highest levels of our power apparatus, and to justify a war, even though it was discovered in a few minutes by the UN that the documents were likely forged.

But remember, the White House and British claimed they had other documents, that supported the substance of their Niger claims!

Or, let's not forget the post-9/11 suppression of environmental data so that the Bush Administration could assure New Yorkers to go back to work in and around Ground Zero. It's perfectly safe!
post #269 of 278
This just in: California Congressman Chris Cox wants the House subcommittee on telecommunications to launch an investigation... into whether CBS abetted fraud.

If the democrats in congress and on the committee have any savy, they can exploit the hell out of any such hearings. First, by pointing out all the serious breaches of national security that have gone uninvestigated by the house. Second, by dragging as many bush bashers as possible in to testify. Imagine Burkett and this secretary have a chance to go off on Bush's service and the subsequent cover up. Get Burkett to testify under oath before a congressional committee that Bush's files were scrubbed. High political theater.

Congress has other more important things to be doing but this is what the Republicans want to waste government resources on. There would a be a similar, but more muted, backlash as occurred after the Clinton impeachment.
post #270 of 278
Hmmm. More documents?

Quote:
White House press secretary Scott McClellan hinted that more documents regarding Bush's National Guard service may soon be released. Asked whether officials in the White House have seen unreleased documents, McClellan called that "a very real possibility." Other officials with knowledge of the situation said more documents had indeed been uncovered and would be released in the coming days.

New documents just keep showing up everywhere, don't they? I wonder what their excuse for not finding them earlier is going to be this time?

File-gate anyone?
post #271 of 278
Quote:
Where was the controversy over the forged Niger documents?

Seems like these forged memos have got way more play in the last week then the Niger forgeries got in their first week.

Maybe this is all a ruse to take people's attention off of Bush Administration suppression of scientific evidence that anti-depressants are a serious suicide risk to our children.

Maybe this is all a ruse to try and deactive Niger forgery campaigning later, but that forgery was trumpeted by the highest levels of our power apparatus, and to justify a war, even though it was discovered in a few minutes by the UN that the documents were likely forged.

But remember, the White House and British claimed they had other documents, that supported the substance of their Niger claims!

Or, let's not forget the post-9/11 suppression of environmental data so that the Bush Administration could assure New Yorkers to go back to work in and around Ground Zero. It's perfectly safe!

Really.

I googled for "Niger Documents" and was bombarded by articles ranging from Mar 2003 till just recently.
post #272 of 278
Quote:
Really.

I googled for "Niger Documents" and was bombarded by articles ranging from Mar 2003 till just recently.

Has anyone been fired? Has anyone been held accountable? Where's the congressional hearing to look into this massive security breach? Where's the boycott? Why doesn't it dominate the news every cycle?
post #273 of 278
post #274 of 278
Crunch for the Cure!
http://www.find-a-drug.org/

---------------------------------
God created Adam and Eve, He didnt create Adam and Steve
-Rep. Roscoe Bartlett
Crunch for the Cure!
http://www.find-a-drug.org/

---------------------------------
God created Adam and Eve, He didnt create Adam and Steve
-Rep. Roscoe Bartlett
post #275 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by Neø
rats fleeing the sinking ship...

-Neø

My thinking exactly.
post #276 of 278
Sorry to stray on topic, but I thought it was interesting.

Quote:
It was the first public allegation that CBS News used forged memos in its report questioning President Bush's National Guard service -- a highly technical explanation posted within hours of airtime, citing proportional spacing and font styles.

But it did not come from an expert in typography or typewriter history, as some first thought. Instead, the Los Angeles Times has found that it was the work of Harry W. MacDougald, an Atlanta lawyer with strong ties to conservative Republican causes. He helped draft the petition urging the Arkansas Supreme Court to disbar then-President Bill Clinton following the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #277 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Sorry to stray on topic, but I thought it was interesting.

This story is wrong. I know this for a fact.
post #278 of 278
Washington Post runs a great little graphical side by side. They even mention kerning just so giant can write them and tell them how stupid they are for using Google.

Nick

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Another leftist attack bites the dust?