or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Firefly: the movie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Firefly: the movie

post #1 of 85
Thread Starter 
http://www.sixbyte.net/fireflynwn/serenity/

Source from Slashdot. Any other fans of the short-lived sci-fi series? I thought the show was great in an off-beat dark kind of way. It was a realistic sci-fi scenario that de-emphasized 'aliens' and focused on the political, psychological and social aspects of a space faring society. And it was funny with compelling characters IMO. So I'm excited about this movie and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that a cable network (SciFi channel) may choose to revive the series.

Any other closet fans of Firefly? It's no Star Trek.
post #2 of 85
I two liked this show, i also felt it had similarities to a anime that was on cartoon network. Because in the anime the crew found a girl in a case similar to the one firefly. In the anime the girl was part of a grappler ship
that could reach some forgotten place.

But i thought firefly had promise, dont know why they scrapped it.
In the future that I see, we are the system.
Reply
In the future that I see, we are the system.
Reply
post #3 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by dmgeist
But i thought firefly had promise, dont know why they scrapped it.

TV executives seem to have a chronic inability to 'get' Sci-Fi television until after they've cancelled it.

Reality teevee, Springer and lowbrow wrestling? Some networks can't get enough...
Thought provoking transpositions of societal problems into alien metaphors... \

Cases in point: Star Trek (Original), Farscape, Firefly, etc...
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
post #4 of 85
Firefly was great! I was terribly disappointed when they canceled it after such a short time. I think that it had the potential to be really big.

Hopefully the movie will do real well and lead to a new series (or at least a bunch of movies).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Reply
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Reply
post #5 of 85
My entire family was disappointed when they cancelled the show. I am the biggest firefly fan of my family but they are not far behind. I often have trivia challenges with my mom.

Shall we have a trivia competition to determine the top browncoat here? Anyone care to place a wager? 8)
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
post #6 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
http://www.sixbyte.net/fireflynwn/serenity/

Source from Slashdot. Any other fans of the short-lived sci-fi series? I thought the show was great in an off-beat dark kind of way. It was a realistic sci-fi scenario that de-emphasized 'aliens' and focused on the political, psychological and social aspects of a space faring society. And it was funny with compelling characters IMO. So I'm excited about this movie and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that a cable network (SciFi channel) may choose to revive the series.

Any other closet fans of Firefly? It's no Star Trek.

Mummies and spaceships?
post #7 of 85
I didn't get to see enough of it. It seems like a good concept and most of all compelling characters to go on. Too bad SciFi didn't pick it up.
post #8 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I didn't get to see enough of it. It seems like a good concept and most of all compelling characters to go on. Too bad SciFi didn't pick it up.

They usually like to pick these abandoned series up. I hope they see the strong fan-base and do the same with Firefly.
post #9 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
I didn't get to see enough of it. It seems like a good concept and most of all compelling characters to go on. Too bad SciFi didn't pick it up.

They have all the firefly episodes (including the ones never broadcast) in a boxed set for only $34.99 at amazon. It is well worth the price.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Reply
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Reply
post #10 of 85
I just put them on my rental queue.
post #11 of 85
As if Fox didn't have enough to answer for....

I really loved this series. I think Joss Whedon is one of the great auteurs of television, in that he knows how to take the genre stuff and make it profound.

Fox never gave him the chance to even start to build the kind of mythic resonance that only multiple seasons of TV can do, and which so benefited the cumulative effect of Buffy and Angel.

Whedon works long form, allowing the small betrayals, secrets and missed opportunities to work their way through a season or even multiple seasons, until there is a terrible price to pay or a terrible burden to bear or a great revelation that feels really earned and satisfying, instead of the usual short term memory loss of episodic TV. Everything has consequences.

Which is why, although I'm glad the movie is being made, I still mourn the loss of another Joss world fully populated and imagined.

I was so impressed with the relaxed, lived in vibe he achieved in Firefly, the easy conversation around the dinner table, the offhand but revelatory asides, the sense of not entirely honorable people willing to show up and put in a days work. There is really nothing remotely like it on television, and the fact that it couldn't even last a season tells you all you need to know about how the networks are run these days.

I wish he could get a gig on HBO-- that would be some serious bad ass TV.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #12 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
I wish he could get a gig on HBO-- that would be some serious bad ass TV.

I hope not. That means I would have to pay for HBO.
post #13 of 85
I was fortunate enough never to have seen Firefly on TV. Fox botched it by playing the episodes out of order. It's a fricking soap opera (like Buffy, Angel, etc.) so how can you understand the characters if the episodes are played out of order.

The episode that explained the whole thing, and showed the character development, was the original pilot "Serenity". But Fox didn't play this until the third week or something, choosing instead to launch the series with a formulaic episode with more action, "The Train Robbery". Then they supposedly preempted the show week after week because of the football season, so they couldn't develop a regular fan base.

Watch the DVD set from beginning to end. It's cheap and well worth it. FF is an awesome series with excellent writing, and the cast cohesion is unsurpassed.

I had heard rumors of a feature, but I'm really happy to know it's actually being filmed. Thanks for the link!!!
post #14 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton

I had heard rumors of a feature, but I'm really happy to know it's actually being filmed. Thanks for the link!!!

Actually i think it's in post-production. Good news.
post #15 of 85
i honestly didn't even know it existed until after it was cancelled.

addabox, you really put it best...

Quote:
Whedon works long form, allowing the small betrayals, secrets and missed opportunities to work their way through a season or even multiple seasons, until there is a terrible price to pay or a terrible burden to bear or a great revelation that feels really earned and satisfying, instead of the usual short term memory loss of episodic TV. Everything has consequences.

you really do not see anyone doing this anymore, at least not for television. sometimes i wish someone would bring back such a a storytelling style to radio, too. the guy has such a gift with dialog that can echo drama and still take the edge off in the next scene. i think whedon would be interested in such a challenge.

i mean, the guy had the balls to make three of the most atypical t.v. episodes ever, ratings-be-damned, in the silent buffy episode, the death of buffy's mom episode, and the infamous "puppet" episode from angel's last season. hell, the silent episode even got an emmy nomination. and i only started watching buffy/angel in their respective last two seasons.

he has also said he is very interested in a buffy/angel movie, but didn't want to even discuss it until he got the firefly movie out of his head and onto the big screen.

p.s. curiousuburb, you know they're doing a farscape movie, right? the trailer's over in apple's quicktime area. another series i never watched but heard great things about constantly.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #16 of 85
The pay TV channels have the really good serial shows these days. Way back when the TV execs said cable would ruin TV with shows with a low production value. Now it turns out the cable shows are much better than the dreck on the big 3.
post #17 of 85
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
The pay TV channels have the really good serial shows these days. Way back when the TV execs said cable would ruin TV with shows with a low production value. Now it turns out the cable shows are much better than the dreck on the big 3.

That's because they are acting like "reality"-TV is the best thing since sliced bread and insist on cramming it down our throats. I can't stand the stuff personally. I would prefer a good old fashioned sitcom to this reality garbage.
post #18 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
p.s. curiousuburb, you know they're doing a farscape movie, right? the trailer's over in apple's quicktime area. another series i never watched but heard great things about constantly.

Don't get me started...

Take a brilliant series acclaimed internationally for writing, fx, and smart style and promise the producers a 5 year run (sound eerily Trek-like). Four years into the run, and just after shooting wraps on season 4 (just after agreeing to a fifth season), kill the series.

After more than a million letters and protest calls to Sci-Fi Network, home of the modern equivalent of Paramount's chronically shortsighted executive, (B Jo Trimble and the original "Save Star Trek" campaign were consulted), what do they do? Rather than let the production company buy back the rights and shoot the final 23 episodes promised, they wimp out and greenlight a mini-series.

While I welcome damn near any change of heart by the bozos at the network (perhaps smarting from the deluge of negative press and submerged in boxes of crackers in protest), the mini-series is a harsh compromise.

Fans of the series through four seasons of character development and plot twists will end up sitting through at least 2 hours of "catch-up" for the non-fans to get the concept and pick up the vibe that 80+ episodes have allowed the cast to weave. So what might have been a 22 hour story arc as Season Five gets shrunken to 6 or 8 hours of miniseries (maybe only 4 ).
Figure most of the first episode will be review for the non-Scapers, and it seems like the net output of the "rescued" series will be about 4 new hours.

Better than nothing, but not as good as brighter teevee execs in the first place.

What gem did Sci-Fi replace Farscape with?
Tremors (the series). Giant worms vs rednecks.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
post #19 of 85
Firefly made up my Firday night TV viewing for about as long as it was on the air. I saw the 1st episode (well the one the aired first, I don't think is was the first one) and was hooked. The chick/mechanic on the show was on some Disney Channel back in the day, I had the biggest crush one her To see her in a kick ass sci-fi show was pretty cool.

I'll have to check out the movie.
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
Reply
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
Reply
post #20 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Crusader
The chick/mechanic on the show was on some Disney Channel back in the day, I had the biggest crush one her To see her in a kick ass sci-fi show was pretty cool.

Get in line Pal. That's probably why "Objects in Space" is my least-liked episode. Lots of browncoats like it though.

My #1 episode is Jaynestown, closely followed by Our Mrs. Reynolds then Shindig.

How 'bout you guy's. What are your top 3 episodes? (If you don't know the names, just describe what happens.)
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
post #21 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
i mean, the guy had the balls to make three of the most atypical t.v. episodes ever, ratings-be-damned, in the silent buffy episode, the death of buffy's mom episode, and the infamous "puppet" episode from angel's last season. hell, the silent episode even got an emmy nomination. and i only started watching buffy/angel in their respective last two seasons.

How could you forget "Once More, With Feeling!"? I love that episode.
post #22 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
How could you forget "Once More, With Feeling!"? I love that episode.

Yeah! Best. TV. Evar.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #23 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
How could you forget "Once More, With Feeling!"? I love that episode.

d'oh! *hangs head in shame*
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #24 of 85
i'm resurrecting this thread because we just got the first two discs of the firefly season from netflix, and my wife and i sat down last night and started watching... and couldn't stop. eventually, i had to get some rest for work, but man, i cannot believe a.) that this was just a tv series (if there weren't the obligatory dramatic pivot point followed by fade-to-black every 7-12 minutes, you'd think you were watching a full-on movie) and b.) that fox cancelled it.

my only qualm is that it appears that the movie will be the pilot episode "Serenity," "movie-ized," but then again, it makes perfect sense, too. it's where all the character development is, and whedon isn't so full of himself to think that there are enough people who followed the series during its short run to know what's going on without the backstory.

here's hoping this begins a re-ignition of the series...

p.s. okay, are the companion and the mechanic joss whedon's ginger vs. mary ann, or what?
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #25 of 85
Just to brag...
I will be seeing Serenity tonight for the second time. It is a bit of a "rough cut" but a fun movie, and everyone should see it when it is released in September.

Also... It isn't a movie version of the original pilot. In fact, the movie is focused mostly on River. I am not going to post any spoilers, but it was quite shocking at moments.
post #26 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by bostongeek
Just to brag...
I will be seeing Serenity tonight for the second time. It is a bit of a "rough cut" but a fun movie, and everyone should see it when it is released in September.

Also... It isn't a movie version of the original pilot. In fact, the movie is focused mostly on River. I am not going to post any spoilers, but it was quite shocking at moments.

okay, well that's good to know. and yes, please no spoilers, even for the tv series (at least until i get a chance to watch all of it!)

p.s. it's really weird to see all of these characters in firefly who played major villains in either buffy or angel (nathan fillion = caleb, gina torres = jasmine, adam baldwin = marcus hamilton)
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #27 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
http://www.sixbyte.net/fireflynwn/serenity/

Source from Slashdot. Any other fans of the short-lived sci-fi series? I thought the show was great in an off-beat dark kind of way. It was a realistic sci-fi scenario that de-emphasized 'aliens' and focused on the political, psychological and social aspects of a space faring society. And it was funny with compelling characters IMO. So I'm excited about this movie and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that a cable network (SciFi channel) may choose to revive the series.

Any other closet fans of Firefly? It's no Star Trek.


I never heard of it until your post. Any fan-sites about the show? When/what channel was it on originally?
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #28 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
TV executives seem to have a chronic inability to 'get' Sci-Fi television until after they've cancelled it.

Reality teevee, Springer and lowbrow wrestling? Some networks can't get enough...
Thought provoking transpositions of societal problems into alien metaphors... \

Cases in point: Star Trek (Original), Farscape, Firefly, etc...

Add to that list Space: Above and Beyond
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
Reply
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
Reply
post #29 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidR
Add to that list Space: Above and Beyond

And Enterprise
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
post #30 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by iPoster
I never heard of it until your post. Any fan-sites about the show? When/what channel was it on originally?

Fan-sites? Are there ever! Pretty much the main reason there even IS a movie is because of all the rabid fans.

Oh, it was on FOX, and played in what is known as the "death slot." 8:00-ish on friday night.

Official site
Where I lurk (for 3 years)
A third forum
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
post #31 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
And Enterprise

Let's face it. Enterprise sucked for the first two seasons... and even Season 3 had some suckiness in it. Though when Archer decided to steal from those explorers, that was cool that they actually made him have to make a tough decision instead of the "we'll make the morally right decision and everything will work out in the end" stuff that tends to happen. I think what really destroyed Enterprise was the crappiness of the first couple of seasons... and stuff like bringing the Borg back for a cameo even though it goes against the Star Trek timeline... That alienated some fans... Little things like that and the tendency to think that putting T'pol in sexy situations was 'good tv'. Now, T'pol is sexy and it's nice to see her in those kinds of situations, but let's be honest. We all like porn, but porn isn't 'great movie making.'
post #32 of 85
Thread Starter 
To iPoster and anyone else that wants to know more about the series:

Here is a fansite/timeline/info site of the series.

http://www.sadgeezer.com/firefly/
http://www.fireflyfans.net/

Quote:
This isn't a show with many special effects or cool aliens. The spaceships look bloody awful*** and there is no latex!! (It's strange how Whedon plasters so much alien stuff on the characters in Buffy and Angel (set on Earth) and not a single bit of plastic make-up for his new show set in space!).

And yet, the characterisation is first class. Whedon has made every effort to keep the humour and 'fun' and the quality of the acting performances is usually excellent. Overall it's a show well worth watching.

*** I disagree.
post #33 of 85
This looks like a great movie. When everyone asked me about whether I had seen Episode III, I said that I didn't give a damn in comparison to Serenity.
post #34 of 85
i especially like the fact that the trailer is available in HD.

it looks like they recap the pilot episode to bring the viewing audience up to speed on the characters, and there's been a lot put into effects that i guess fox was just unwilling to shell out for when it was in their lineup. the only character i don't see in the trailer is the shepherd. don't tell me if he dies in the series, though. i just finished disc one and working through disc two now of the series.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #35 of 85
Quote:
Add to that list Space: Above and Beyond

In the UK Space: Above and Beyond was aired at around 3am...
Stoo
Reply
Stoo
Reply
post #36 of 85
I love the series. I was trying to watch the DVDs slowly (to prolong pleasure and joygasm) with my family, but when I brought them to school, I gave in and watched them all in like two weeks (it was my first time watching the unaired episodes). It took me a while to get someone to watch it with me at school, but once we watched one, everyone hated me because they became addicted (we watched three in a day once).

But yeah, I've been avoiding the trailer. I was hoping the movie would jump right in and not reintroduce everyone, but it seems that isn't the case. Also, I hope they still leave lots of room for sequels or another series and don't reveal too many of the story details. It would be nice if they could bring it back straight to DVD, to avoid having to deal with lame networks (cough Fox cough).

Stupid Fox. If you watch the special features on the DVD, they don't outright say it, but you know Fox had it in for them from the beginning. This was one of the best shows on TV. This beat out much of Star Trek. And there wasn't one alien in the whole show. Firefly was quality TV.

Andrew
MusicMobs: Music recommendations based on your iTunes library. Publish your playlists.
Reply
MusicMobs: Music recommendations based on your iTunes library. Publish your playlists.
Reply
post #37 of 85
Lemme just say plain and simply, the movie is not a remade pilot episode. Instead of trying to introduce all the characters, the movie hints at certain things and hopes the audience gets it. For instance, there are only a couple subtle references to Wash and Zoe's marriage, as well as Inara's history on the ship or even her profession. This is not in any way, shape, or form the pilot episode... trust me on this. Hvaing said that, the last time I saw the movie I brought someone who has never seen the show and someone who has seen a couple of episodes and the both really enjoyed the movie. The comment I was hearing repeated was, "This is way better than Star Wars."

I can't wait for September 30th to see the final cut of the movie!
post #38 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoo
In the UK Space: Above and Beyond was aired at around 3am...

That's just wrong
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
Reply
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
Reply
post #39 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by pyr3
Let's face it. Enterprise sucked for the first two seasons... and even Season 3 had some suckiness in it. Though when Archer decided to steal from those explorers, that was cool that they actually made him have to make a tough decision instead of the "we'll make the morally right decision and everything will work out in the end" stuff that tends to happen. I think what really destroyed Enterprise was the crappiness of the first couple of seasons... and stuff like bringing the Borg back for a cameo even though it goes against the Star Trek timeline... That alienated some fans... Little things like that and the tendency to think that putting T'pol in sexy situations was 'good tv'. Now, T'pol is sexy and it's nice to see her in those kinds of situations, but let's be honest. We all like porn, but porn isn't 'great movie making.'

All the Star Trek spin-offs were pretty lackluster until season 3 or 4. Not that I didn't watch and enjoy it.
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
Reply
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
Reply
post #40 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by adpowers
Also, I hope they still leave lots of room for sequels or another series and don't reveal too many of the story details.

Andrew

From my understanding the movie WAS able to be released this month at theatres but clashed with other releases (read: Star Wars) and they did not want the effort to be wasted. The actor's are all contracted for 2 more movies IF this first movie is successful. <--- Please goto the cinema (even if you torrent it)

1. Firefly - great character interaction
2. Farscape - fun from start to finish
3. Battlestar Galactica - dark and real, the way I like it
'If these words were people, I would embrace their genocide.' - Maddox
Reply
'If these words were people, I would embrace their genocide.' - Maddox
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Firefly: the movie