or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple ships its iMac G5

Apple ships its iMac G5

post #1 of 55
The Sgemore/Marlton Apple store here in New Jersey has the iMac's starting Monday the 13th of Sept according to a store employee [MOD EDIT: Name Removed - Jambo] . i suggest that we all call him and make sure he isnt lying. the store number is [MOD EDIT: Number Removed - Jambo] . He told me that last wednesday before I made my order. he said," I have good news for you, the new iMac will be here Sept 13th and shiping starts that day as well for pre-orders." He said I could order it then and if store got them first i could cxl order and pick it up there. Thats tommoro. heard the same thing for West coast. Anyone else heard this?
post #2 of 55
Dean15 - please check your Private Messages.

Posting the personal details of individuals, including Apple employees, is not tolerated on these forums.

Thanks
post #3 of 55
Stores may have demo units (possibly the ones on display in Paris) but I doubt they will have any for sale. Shipping will probably be via air from Taiwan (as previous when new iMacs were first introduced). Just a guess, of course.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #4 of 55
Is that 1994 or 2094 ?
post #5 of 55
Apple has reportedly shipped the first batch of its new iMac G5 desktop computers.

As expected, Apple Computer on Monday began shipping both the 17-inch and 20-inch configurations of its new iMac G5 computer, two days ahead of its initial estimates.

Several Apple online store customers have reportedly received emails confirming that their orders have left Apple's manufacturing facilities in Asia. According to the email, customers can expect the arrival of the new iMacs within the next 10 days, though precise dates are dependent on the customer's chosen freight options (standard or premium) and location within the US.

Initial shipments of the new all-in-one computers are also said to be in-route to the company's highest trafficked retail stores, but are likely to be gobbled up by starving first-comers.

Meanwhile, Apple has recommended that its reseller channel place drop ship orders for the new iMacs. According to insiders, the company will be fulfilling drop ship orders for pallet quantities of computers prior to addressing single or non pallet orders. The 17-inch iMac G5 configurations will ship in pallets of 20, while the 20-inch iMacs will ship in pallets of 16.

Apple officially launched the iMac G5 in late August, with availability suggested for mid-September. The computer is said to be the first fully user-serviceable Macintosh, and also the worlds thinnest desktop.
post #6 of 55
Wow, that was fast! To me this is great news! Much better than the 17" PB rollout fiasco.
post #7 of 55
Apple ships a product! On time?! We need more of this behavior.
post #8 of 55
Yes!

I ordered my 20" on day one at 6 am so hopefully won't have wait too long.

Now I'll be watching my e-mail about a dozen times a day until I get the ONE e-mail I want to see!
Ken
Ken
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus
Yes!

I ordered my 20" on day one at 6 am so hopefully won't have wait too long.

Now I'll be watching my e-mail about a dozen times a day until I get the ONE e-mail I want to see!

I hope you will describe your new machine with details here, when you'll receive it, with special attention to the video card ! ;-)

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Kali
I hope you will describe your new machine with details here, when you'll receive it, with special attention to the video card ! ;-)

And 'real life' pictures
post #11 of 55
kali

The digital camera is ready - now all I have to do is figure out how to tell my wife I ordered it!

I doubt if the video card will be an issue with me. Lots of digital pictures, but I'm not into games. The real issue for me is that Apple delivers well balanced computers that I can depend on. I compare that with the agony I have had running a business on PCs and I'm in love with Macs.
Ken
Ken
post #12 of 55
Does anyone know if their local Apple Store has even a display model in yet of the new iMac.

I need to ring them. It is unclear whether the US-ordered models come with a built-in power adapter that ranges from 100-240 volts. This is crucial to me, I will purchase it in the US, but perhaps use it in Europe, too.

The specifications listed by Apple on their website leave room for doubt, and I have contacted MacZone, MacConnection and MacMall and have received three different answers ('yes', I 'dont know' and 'no' (i.e. only 100-120 for US models).

Thanks, and to you early adopters, I'm green with envy!
post #13 of 55
You didn't tell her you ordered it yet?! Oh no! Tell her something like, "I wanted it to be a surprise, and darling, it is not even nearly as beautiful as you." Even though that's probably a lie...wait, she's more beautiful, unless she looks like Jay Leno too!
post #14 of 55
I just ordered a stock 17" for my mother a couple hours ago. My ship date is 10/12.

Hopefully it will last her eight trouble free* years like the 6500 it is replacing did.

* If you don't count the one time that a peecee owning relative came to visit and decided to take it upon herself to 'fix' the completely functional 6500. I don't what the hell she did, but it required a complete format and reinstall. And she inexplicably managed to fry an external modem.
post #15 of 55
Does anyone know if their local Apple Store has even a display model in yet of the new iMac.

I need to ring them. It is unclear whether the US-ordered models come with a built-in power adapter that ranges from 100-240 volts. This is crucial to me, I will purchase it in the US, but perhaps use it in Europe, too.

The specifications listed by Apple on their website leave room for doubt, and I have contacted MacZone, MacConnection and MacMall and have received three different answers ('yes', I 'dont know' and 'no' (i.e. only 100-120 for US models).

Thanks, and to you early adopters, I'm green with envy!
post #16 of 55
Every previous product from the iPod up can deal with the different voltages worldwide. I doubt the iMac is different.

[edit]

Even Apple's normally crystal clear specs are vague on this point:

Quote:
From www.apple.com/imac/specs.html
Electrical and environmental requirements
Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 100-240V AC, depending on country of use
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuttle
I just ordered a stock 17" for my mother a couple hours ago. My ship date is 10/12.

Woah I thought you ment 10th Dec then, damn US style dates
TD
TD
post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus
kali

The digital camera is ready - now all I have to do is figure out how to tell my wife I ordered it!

I doubt if the video card will be an issue with me. Lots of digital pictures, but I'm not into games. The real issue for me is that Apple delivers well balanced computers that I can depend on. I compare that with the agony I have had running a business on PCs and I'm in love with Macs.

What most of us care about in this regard is not so much the performance, but the ability to run dual monitor setups.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #19 of 55
Huh? Another thread on the same subject? Read the Apple Insider report. Call your local store and ask.\
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by tadunne

That's right world! The American Way or The Highway!

Although I do use metric as much as possible...
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
Huh? Another thread on the same subject? Read the Apple Insider report. Call your local store and ask.\

I already called my store and asked . ..Rockingham Park in NH. They couln't be sure, and said they will know only when they get one in stock.

No straight answers out there. You tell me to ask my store ... worthless advice. Apple Store in Rockingham says wait ... they cant get basic info in the form of a frigging email from Apple. And MacMall, MacWarehouse and MacConnection each give three different, conflicting answers.

Wild.
post #22 of 55
As opposed to the strange european way of doing things? Between dates and fractional numbers I'm not sure if europe has really evolved out of the dark ages yet.

In any event as much as I hate the current iMac configuration this is a very good sign. That is Apple actually shipped something on time. So maybe this means that Rev B with a real video card is not that far off.

Thank
Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by tadunne
post #23 of 55
i post just some iMac G5 order weblink from the Apple Shipment Status :

W75654166
W75654246
W75654330
W75654458
W75654460

i got them from a friend who works for the French AppleStore
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
What most of us care about in this regard is not so much the performance, but the ability to run dual monitor setups.

^
Speaking of, Any word on whether the screen-spanning hack works on the new iMac? I imagine we'll have to wait until someone gets there hands on one and tries it out, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
post #25 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
Every previous product from the iPod up can deal with the different voltages worldwide. I doubt the iMac is different.

Except for the eMac of course. I would hope that the iMac being a much more expensive machine gets the works in the power supply department.
post #26 of 55
When the product arrives at stores I'm sure an answer will be forthcoming about voltage. In the meantime check the following:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...cG5/index.html
post #27 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

[edit]

Even Apple's normally crystal clear specs are vague on this point:

If my order is typical, mlarkin is out of luck. The iMac G5 that I ordered on 31 August is spec'd out with the following:

Power Supply, AMERICA, JAPAN part number 065-5255

I read that to mean I'll be getting the 100-120 volt power supply, not the 100-240 volt one that would work worldwide. Perhaps Apple is already selling the universal power supply without the machine. Since it is a customer installable part, you wouldn't void your warranty to get the thing working in the first place. Maybe you can call Apple and get your order changed to ensure you get the 100-240v power supply?
post #28 of 55
Yes, it does appear that the power supply in an iMac purchased in the US will only have a voltage range of 100 (Japan's voltage) to 120.

It does seem installer changeable too ... saw the note from Apple earlier, and already had suspicions that there would be 2 different voltage versions.

Knowing Apple's usual policies, the price of the replacement converter would be chokingly high, and only be available to Apple Repair Service guys who would want to charge also to replace it.

For 35 bucks, one can get a step-down transformer from 240 volts to 100 volts, with correct wattage, to do the trick if the iMac were used in mainland Europe.

That's life. I suspect it is done in this way for cost reasons but also if it has only limited voltage version, it is not considered a 'portable' Mac, and thus only a country or regional warranty is valid, not an international warranty like on Powerbooks, which as well could be more expensive.
post #29 of 55
Interesting exchange about the voltage requirement. I read it as working with 120-240 V (or at the low range, 100-200 V).

But as mentioned, a voltage converter (ask for a step down transformer that converts 240V to 120V) is available at almost any electronics store, so don't let this delay your order. Order today!

[No, I'm not an Apple rep, but self-interest is involved: the more orders, the faster they have to push mine through the que! And out the door! And into the waiting plane! And over the wide blue sea!! And into a baggage checker's hands...oops, here's where the dream turns to nightname...Hurry up, Steve, damngumit. The PC world is killing me.]
post #30 of 55
From the Tech Specs on Apple's web site:

"Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 100-240V AC, depending on country of use"

It would seem cheaper to only have one power supply with a switch to move from 110/60 to 220/50. Cheaper in that there need be one designed during the engineering stage and one held in inventory during production. There are too many "one size fits all" bits inside the iMac, pity this isn't one of them.
Ken
Ken
post #31 of 55
"It would seem cheaper to only have one power supply with a switch to move from 110/60 to 220/50. Cheaper in that there need be one designed during the engineering stage and one held in inventory during production. There are too many "one size fits all" bits inside the iMac, pity this isn't one of them."

I agree, and such a feature is common elsewhere.

If the basic innards expect 100-120V, then a built-in converter would:

1. Add weight -- more windings, but admittedly we're talking ounces (grams) here, and;

2. Might be slightly larger -- this was clearly an issue in the design. So maybe they designed they designed the two power converters to conserve space; and

3. This is weak, I'm speculating, but perhaps a switchable power supply had heat issues.

If I think of any other reason, I'll let you know. Just buy a converter. Maybe you can use it with other appliances.
post #32 of 55
If the ones on open sale in the US are only available at 100-120v/60 then that messes things up for anyone who might want to buy at US prices and save a few GBP. Having to get a voltage converter is a pain and so tacky!
post #33 of 55
Look, I know they're expensive, but it's relative.

I was honestly considering buying one of the last 20" G4 Imacs back in May, until a rep told me: "I didn't tell you this, because Apple's very secretive, but you might want to hold off a few weeks...the rumores are a new model's coming out."

The G4 would have cost $2200 US, before taxes (6%), w/o the BTO stuff I eventually added: BT, wireless kB, mouse, 512MB, Airport card. With all of that added to the G5, plus tax, it was about $2100 US with govt discount.

A lower price for a more capable machine. That's called deflation, from a consumer view, a great thing. Apple wanted an innovative design that fit even better into their mid range pricing, and they accomplished that.

Sure, I could buy two Dulls for that price, but to get something comparable, one looks to Sony, and for the same price, you can't get a 20" cinema screen, a one cord tablet system, and you're still stuck w/MS Windows, a most evil product. Talk about expensive...but let's not get into that.

Look at Sony's cheaper AIO...a design abortion, and compare it to the elegance of Apple's design. This is like comparing Cindy Crawford to Phyllis Diller.

And to all those who've criticized the video card, well, you may have a point, but this is a bit like focusing on Cindy's mole and saying: "Look closely, isn't that mole ugly?"

I'm mixing metaphors here, but you're missing the forest for the trees.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by mandrax
i post just some iMac G5 order weblink from the Apple Shipment Status :

W75654166
W75654246
W75654330
W75654458
W75654460

i got them from a friend who works for the French AppleStore

One of those is mine... headed for Kent UK
post #35 of 55
I ordered mine the day they were announced at about 8:30 and mine shipped TODAY (9/14)!!!!

Man I am getting pumped up! According to the trakcing number it is stil in Shanghi though.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by mlarkin
It is unclear whether the US-ordered models come with a built-in power adapter that ranges from 100-240 volts. This is crucial to me, I will purchase it in the US, but perhaps use it in Europe, too.

I can confirm that US models only ship with a 100 - 120V power supply. Orders outside the US use the part number 065-5256 and it is called Power Supply, WW. Orders within the US have the part number 065-5255.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
I can confirm that US models only ship with a 100 - 120V power supply. Orders outside the US use the part number 065-5256 and it is called Power Supply, WW. Orders within the US have the part number 065-5255.

I really wish Apple would make up their minds about whether they'll support auto-switching power supplies across the board, or not. It's needlessly confusing to have it vary by model.

Was it so long ago that every Mac had an auto-switching power supply? and every desktop supported multiple monitors? Oh, don't get me started.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #38 of 55
My iMac is on the way. It is now in Anchorage. Hopefully I will see it Thursday. I ordered it with free shipping but they are again sending it via Fed Ex.

Ordering RAM in the morning.

Update: It is now in Kansas City! Looks like I will get it today!

Will have to run it with 256 memory for a bit.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #39 of 55
Here you go for the first deliveries (with pictures) and comments on the new iMac . Mac Rumors forums seem to be much more active than ours here. kcmac, keep us updated on your iMac and your first impressions!
post #40 of 55
As a side note, the alleged online troubleshoot assistant for the iMac G5 is now working. The only thing one needs to chat with a support agent is a serial number .
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple ships its iMac G5