or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple ships its iMac G5

Apple ships its iMac G5 - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Here you go for the first deliveries (with pictures) and comments on the new iMac . Mac Rumors forums seem to be much more active than ours here. kcmac, keep us updated on your iMac and your first impressions!

Mine was delivered to my home at 10:15 am. I had to immediately run downtown for a meeting so I didn't even get to plug it in. Opened the box to take a peak. Your first impression is, "Wow, is that all there is?"

You literally have the manual, the cords and the mouse on the top styrofoam layer. Remove that and the the iMac sits centered below with the foot attached. Looks like a big laptop.

After I got back, I set it up in our kitchen area and now it fits on our desk directly in front of our keyboard. Our previous iMac had to sit on the counter adjacent to the desk because it is too deep. We had to look at the iMac at an angle.

The footprint of this thing is just incredible. I have the front face sitting about 9 inches from the wall. (I have the 20 inch screen.) (Could still go a little closer but don't want to have screen hit wall just yet.)

The screen is bright and gorgeous. The area below the screen is large but I think with the 20 inch screen it is proportioned very nice. I don't mind the space below after seeing it in person although I would think this is one area Apple will try to refine as the next revs progress.

The screen tilts up and down in a very smooth motion. Very easy to operate. It is also very easy to spin or adjust it from side to side. Slides on my desktop very easily.

The machine is totally quite. You can only hear a slight hum. Haven't done anything yet so don't know what happens when the fans come on.

Set up is simple. Lift out of box. Foot already attached. Plug in keyboard and mouse. Turn on. (I have Airport Express.)

Found my internet connection immediately after filling out a few forms for your user name, registration etc.

Software updater kicked in and I did the updates which have just now finished. Will do the firewire target setup assistant a little later to transfer our old iMac to the new.

The keyboard is fantastic. Has a great feel to it. It has white keys and clear plastic edges.

From first impression, this would take quite a hit before it would tip. Can't imagine this being a problem. Very well balanced.

Fit and finish typical Apple. Nice. Especially in person.

Fan did just now come on. Still quiet.

Just put a CD into it to test the sound in iTunes. The start up chime was very loud. The speakers put out quite a bit of sound. Much louder and better than my G3 iMac. You get a little different sound by tilting the screen since it throws it downward. I think most will be very pleased with the quality. The visualizer at full screen is fantastic!

I am using the 256 base ram and have 1 gig on order. Will be interesting in the next few days to see how it works with the base amount.

The thickness/thinness of the unit is very impressive. I just can't get over the footprint....

More later.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #42 of 55
Anybody have any idea why I would get a shipping notification yesterday at 11am Eastern Time but the status on the FedEx page has still not changed? It has not been updated since 9/14 @ 2:37pm. And how do I know how it shipped? I didn't pay for extra shipping, but it tells me "Service type: IP Direct Distribution" and I don't know what this means.

I am getting antsy here.
post #43 of 55
OS X 10.3.5
Build 7P35
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by slu
Anybody have any idea why I would get a shipping notification yesterday at 11am Eastern Time but the status on the FedEx page has still not changed? It has not been updated since 9/14 @ 2:37pm. And how do I know how it shipped?
I am getting antsy here.

Most warehouses' databases aren't integrated in real time with shippers' databases. It is normal for shipment info to not immediately be updated.

A product ships and immediately trigger an email from Apple. However, shipment tracking won't be available until the warehouse uploads package data to shipper (FedEx, UPS, etc). Some companies batch these out during the day or once at the end of business hours.

Finally, it will take time for the shipper to process the information and update their database. There is a little bit of lag time here because they're dealing with absolutely massive ammounts of data worldwide.

(Just got done automating this process for my company earlier this year)
post #45 of 55
My mother's 17" just arrived about an hour ago.

Everything kcmac said I agree with. Out of the box, plug it in, software update, and it's probably ready for the next eight years like the machine it replaced was.

Just like the G5, until you see it in person, you should hold your judgment. It is quite impressive sitting there in real life. It really doesn't look like anything you've seen before. The pictures don't really show the elegance and refinement you see and feel up close and in person.

It is absolutely silent. Although I haven't run anything heavy on it, just Mail and Safari.

I was worried about if the thing was top heavy. But the machine is really heavy and it sits firmly on its base. Although I don't think it would survive a 5+ California earthquake.

The keyboard is nice.

That's about it. Happy customer so far.
post #46 of 55
I finally decided to register after looking around here for awhile.

Currently, I have an iBook G3700. I purchased it as my first Mac almost 2 years ago, and it has been a great little computer. The 17" iMac seems to me as the most logical choice for an upgrade. I don't do video editing or anything "heavy" like that. Normally is is just doing work\\homework, web surfing, listening to music, etc.

Having a DVD burner would be great! As would a noticably faster system. I can imagine that the increase from a G3 700 to a 1.8 G5 would be sizeable.

All the reports have been appreciated, even though I am just now getting around to saying so.
A door that says push reduces the speed of the person who pulls before he reads!
A door that says push reduces the speed of the person who pulls before he reads!
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Jarhead
I finally decided to register after looking around here for awhile.

Currently, I have an iBook G3700. I purchased it as my first Mac almost 2 years ago, and it has been a great little computer. The 17" iMac seems to me as the most logical choice for an upgrade. I don't do video editing or anything "heavy" like that. Normally is is just doing work\\homework, web surfing, listening to music, etc.

Having a DVD burner would be great! As would a noticably faster system. I can imagine that the increase from a G3 700 to a 1.8 G5 would be sizeable.

All the reports have been appreciated, even though I am just now getting around to saying so.

Welcome JarHead. We are almost neighbors. I live just a little south of the Plaza in the Brookside area.

If you can wait for a couple more weeks, I think the new Apple store will be open on the Plaza. They have been working almost 24 hours a day to get it done. You could get a good feel of what would work best for you then. I can't wait for it to open.

I think the middle iMac would be a great choice. I almost did that myself. Then I thought that my old iMac is almost 5 years old and still working. The 20 inch screen is something that I would have wished I would have gone for very quickly so I just bit the bullet. I am happy I did.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally posted by kcmac
The keyboard is fantastic. Has a great feel to it. It has white keys and clear plastic edges.

I hate to go a little off topic, got my PM G5 yesterday, I normally am not so impressed by a standard keyboard that comes with a computer, but Apple really did a bang up job on it, I dont like the white, but it feels fantastic, and its so quiet, my gateway's keyboard is loud and obnoxious and feels like a cheapie keyboard unlike the Apple one.

Cheers to Apple

PS, If that damned video card was upgradeable [iMac G5], I would be crying, this G5 is a behemoth, and my desk is barely big enough to fit it, as my apt is dusty, so off the ground it has to be. That 20" widescreen makes me drool, as im typing along on my little (by comparison ) 17" Apple LCD
post #49 of 55
Have you KC guys visited MacHardware in Mission? I just took my fiancé's iBook in to get the logic board swapped. They're mainly service, but they have a nice showroom/shop up front. I've never been in a real apple store, but I was in heaven in this place. I'm going in tomorrow after work to pick it up. I intern at Take2 Productions, where I saw my first G5 in person.
post #50 of 55
Yeah Guartho, that is a great store in Mission and the people there are fantastic. I have never used their service but people I know have and with good results. They have a very nice presentation of the products.

Don't really know if they will be hurt by the Apple store on the Plaza or not but I do think that the Apple store will get products quicker, be better stocked, etc.

I am really pleased that this store is almost ready to be open. The Plaza will be a great location for Apple.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #51 of 55
I live just a short distance from MacHardware. I have been a few times and like the place. Though I am looking forward to the Apple Store at the Plaza. I hadn't been to the Plaza in over 20 years until recently, and the new store will give me another reason to go there!

kcmac,

Thanks for the welcoming message. I have been reading things here for a couple years but never replied. Mostly I was just trying to learn things. As for the 20" iMac, I currently have the 12" iBook, so the step up to 17" would be huge!

Maybe I will see you, and others in this area when the new Apple Store opens.

Tuttle,
How close are you to Disneyland? I ask because I was stationed in El Toro for several years, and also worked as part of the opening team for Disney's California Adventure.
post #52 of 55
Hey, I live near the Plaza, too (by Loose Park)! What's with all the KC people suddenly taking over AI?

I drove by the Apple Store tonight and they'd just put up the glowing Apple logo over the door. Can't be long now...
post #53 of 55
I can't wait to see the Apple Store! This will probably be my first impression...

Maybe I will be able to see the new iMac in person as well. The pictures seem nice, but I wonder if they do it justice.

I'm kind of from the KC area. I grew up pretty close to Warrensburg and moved away in 1982 to explore the world. Twenty years later, I came back and there was so much I didn't recognize. For now, it's time to stay put for awhile. At least until I finish my degree. After that, who knows?
post #54 of 55
So, anybody know when the KC store opens? Also, anyone know if the new iMacs have made their way to MacHardware yet? since I'm stopping in I figure it'd be too much to hope for a first hand glimpse, but I still can't help but hope.
post #55 of 55
fox,

I saw the Apple going up today as well. Thankfully, the storefront isn't dominated by the brushed aluminum front like a lot of the other stores around the country. They had to keep the existing spanish motif of the Plaza.

I drive through everyday on my way to work.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple ships its iMac G5