or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Printing from Word to pdf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Printing from Word to pdf

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Sorry if this has come up before, couldn't see it.

Why is it that sometimes, when printing from Word (Office X) to pdf, the print job creates several files from individual pages in the original document. I have looked at all the settings that I can think of, such as document and paragraph settings, to no avail.

Further, is there a way of combining two or more pdf files into one document.

Thanks.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #2 of 32
Hmmm...

That is odd. You are using the SAVE AS PDF option in the print dialog and not Microsoft Word's PDF output option?

And you really can't combine multiple PDFs unless you have Adobe Acrobat (the full version not the reader) installed on your Mac.

Mike
post #3 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by MPMoriarty
Hmmm...

That is odd. You are using the SAVE AS PDF option in the print dialog and not Microsoft Word's PDF output option?

And you really can't combine multiple PDFs unless you have Adobe Acrobat (the full version not the reader) installed on your Mac.
Mike

Mike, thanks for your reply.

That is correct, the 'Save as PDF...' option under the print dialogue. Sometimes Word creates a single document and sometimes, after fiddling with document options such as the paragraph and document settings, the document re-connects but often I get two or more separate pdf files.

I use pdf a lot and so might look at Acrobat.

Thanks again.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
...I use pdf a lot and so might look at Acrobat.

In the meantime you could import PDF files into any layout app (even Word handles this quite well) and just create a pdf. That should help.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #5 of 32
You do have the print pages setting to "all pages".

This is really weird. I have never had this problem with Office. Although I really don't use Word that much.

Mike
post #6 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by MPMoriarty
You do have the print pages setting to "all pages".

This is really weird. I have never had this problem with Office. Although I really don't use Word that much.

Mike

Hi All, thanks for your replies.

It truly is weird! Yes, I am printing a whole document. I'll tell you though when I experience the problem most. I'm not sure that this is the only time it occurs but it's possible the problem occurs only under the following circumstances. (Wracks brain trying to think of other circumstances - gives up!)

I gives lectures from powerpoint slides. (Should I be using Keynote?) From these I produce lecture notes, not as reproductions of the slides which are geared to my lecture style but containing the text, which I cut from powerpoint and paste as unformatted text into word. Images usually come from other places, CAD programs, Photoshop etc. I then change the formatting to suit, sometimes producing columns for example. Perhaps some hidden formatting information or buggy data is getting through. Perhaps this is the vital link.

By the way, I can't get word to open pdf files properly as Vox Barbara I think suggested.

Thanks again and all the best, David.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
... (Should I be using Keynote?) ...

Of course. IF you do not have to share your document with other PP users than you, Keynote is the much much better choice

Quote:
By the way, I can't get word to open pdf files properly as Vox Barbara I think suggested.
...

Well my friend, word doesn't allow you to open a pdf file directly, therefore you have to import that file. To do so, you have to open a new blank word doc. There are two ways to import a pdf.
(1) Drag any PDF into the blank word doc via Exposé That's it.

OR, if you do not like Exposé

(2) Click --->
>Insert>Picture>From File>[CHOOSE YOUR PDF FILE]
Voila Pdf inside Doc
IF you want to import more than one PDF file, than repeat the action But make sure, that each PDF gets its own page, so make page breaks for each PDF.
If you are finished, hit print, than "save to pdf" voila: multiple page pdf file

If this doesn't happen by you, than there might be some issues with your Word Give it a try.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #8 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Of course. IF you do not have to share your document with other PP users than you, Keynote is the much much better choice



Well my friend, word doesn't allow you to open a pdf file directly, therefore you have to import that file. To do so, you have to open a new blank word doc. There are two ways to import a pdf.
(1) Drag any PDF into the blank word doc via Exposé That's it.

OR, if you do not like Exposé

(2) Click --->
>Insert>Picture>From File>[CHOOSE YOUR PDF FILE]
Voila Pdf inside Doc

If this doesn't happen by you, than there might be some issues with your Word Give it a try.

Well, Vox Barbara my old son (Australian colloquialism, greeting with affection), that's very interesting. By the way, we use Exposé a lot, very nice.

Thanks for your help.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
Well, Vox Barbara my old son (Australian colloquialism, greeting with affection), that's very interesting. By the way, we use Exposé a lot, very nice.

Thanks for your help.

Your are welcome.

Er... One mooooore little thing. This whole Word PDF thing is supposed to mean a workaround to put some single pdf files together quickly, have this in mind.

For example: Word doesn't recognize more than one page of a given pdf file. If you import a pdf file with more than one page, you will see only the first page. Well... Anyway. But If you have, say, 6 single pdf files and you want just one pdf file with six pages, than this wordaround settles quite fine
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #10 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Your are welcome.

Er... One mooooore little thing. This whole Word PDF thing is supposed to mean a workaround to put some single pdf files together quickly, have this in mind.

For example: Word doesn't recognize more than one page of a given pdf file. If you import a pdf file with more than one page, you will see only the first page. Well... Anyway. But If you have, say, 6 single pdf files and you want just one pdf file with six pages, than this wordaround settles quite fine

Remember that it was word in the first place that was used to ceated the PDF file(s). I'd just like to create a single file from a single document!

All the best, David.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
Remember that it was word in the first place that was used to ceated the PDF file(s). I'd just like to create a single file from a single document!

All the best, David.

Yes i remember that. But give it a try with a blank word doc, like i said.
And let me know the result. (I just can't imagine that Word splits the doc in multiple pdfs, though)
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #12 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Yes i remember that. But give it a try with a blank word doc, like i said.
And let me know the result. (I just can't imagine that Word splits the doc in multiple pdfs, though)

Just because you asked I can affirm that word did indeed import the PDF file as an image. Now if I could just print a document to a single PDF file...\

All the best, David.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #13 of 32
Have you tried importing these PDFs into TextEdit and then saving the file as a Word document?

Mike
post #14 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by MPMoriarty
Have you tried importing these PDFs into TextEdit and then saving the file as a Word document?

Mike

Hi Mike

Interesting result, a document within a document, each potentially with a set of scroll bars!

Thanks for that, David.8)
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #15 of 32
I can confirm this behavior. I actually have a few files where this happens. I believe it has something to do with section and/or page breaks. It can be easily tested:

1. Create a new document
2. Make a section break to the next page
3. Write some text on both pages (not sure if needed)
4. Remove the 'same as previous' link from the second sections header (not sure if needed)
5. Write some text on both pages headers (not sure if needed)
6. Switch the layout (page setup) of the second section to landscape
7. Try to 'Print as PDF' and you will get 2 pdf files from one word file

btw. this isn't fixed in Office 2004 SP1

-Snowster
post #16 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowster
I can confirm this behavior. I actually have a few files where this happens. I believe it has something to do with section and/or page breaks. It can be easily tested:

1. Create a new document
2. Make a section break to the next page
3. Write some text on both pages (not sure if needed)
4. Remove the 'same as previous' link from the second sections header (not sure if needed)
5. Write some text on both pages headers (not sure if needed)
6. Switch the layout (page setup) of the second section to landscape
7. Try to 'Print as PDF' and you will get 2 pdf files from one word file

btw. this isn't fixed in Office 2004 SP1

-Snowster

Hi Snowster

So I am not going mad, you've seen it too. The problem relates to section and/or page breaks but it seems quite inconsistent. Sometimes I am able to fix the problem by reformatting the document but at other times I just give up!

Thanks for your contribution!

DavidH.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #17 of 32
I can't explain why Word would do that... other than it surprises me not at all. Who's the publisher? Microsoft? Yup. No surprise.

But I can help you with the PDF reordering:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20286

I've done the PDFs and images into Word thing, and the results have never been good - either the quality of the images is destroyed when you finally print them out (Word wants to redo the images in its own format), or the file size is *horrendous*. Try the above little free app. It works great.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #18 of 32
Use Monkeybread Software's Combine PDFs to add one PDF to another or reorder pages.

Just be careful it will remove any password protection you put on your documents because it creates a new document from OS X's Quartz engine.
post #19 of 32
That would be the link I gave.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #20 of 32
One interesting thing is, that Microsoft is of course quick to tell us, that this actually is a problem with the 'print to pfd' function in Mac OS X. Would be ok I guess, BUT the same effect is there if you really print the document. It will be sent to the printer que in 2 separated print jobs.

Of course it could be a bug in the Mac OS X printing system... But I think it is Microsoft...

-Snowster
post #21 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowster
One interesting thing is, that Microsoft is of course quick to tell us, that this actually is a problem with the 'print to pfd' function in Mac OS X. Would be ok I guess, BUT the same effect is there if you really print the document. It will be sent to the printer que in 2 separated print jobs.

Of course it could be a bug in the Mac OS X printing system... But I think it is Microsoft...

-Snowster

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback and links. Be interesting to see if this problem can be invoked for other apps that print to multiple pages.

All the best, DavidH.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
Hi all

Thanks for the feedback and links. Be interesting to see if this problem can be invoked for other apps that print to multiple pages.

All the best, DavidH.

Finally, it is a section break issue within word indeed. I reproduced that behavior several times. I don't get it yet, but it is a section break issue

Nothing wrong with "print to pdf though."
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #23 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Finally, it is a section break issue within word indeed. I reproduced that behavior several times. I don't get it yet, but it is a section break issue

Nothing wrong with "print to pdf though."

Greetings

When you say 'nothing wrong with "print to pdf though"', are you saying that the problem is not with OS X but rather with Word?

All the best, DavidH.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #24 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
I can't explain why Word would do that... other than it surprises me not at all. Who's the publisher? Microsoft? Yup. No surprise.

But I can help you with the PDF reordering:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20286

I've done the PDFs and images into Word thing, and the results have never been good - either the quality of the images is destroyed when you finally print them out (Word wants to redo the images in its own format), or the file size is *horrendous*. Try the above little free app. It works great.

Kickaha

Thanks so much for the link, the app does a great job - mark another one up to Realbasic! I've also used it to join pages scanned from articles that I wanted to archive.

All the best, DavidH.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
Greetings

When you say 'nothing wrong with "print to pdf though"', are you saying that the problem is not with OS X but rather with Word?

All the best, DavidH.

yes

(i do not intend to make it more complicated than it is. ) The Macos X build in pdf feature is quite good enough for most purposes. If you like to do serious - speak: large pdf based projects, with a lot of pics inside - than "print to pdf" is probably not the route you should go.

Look, i create pdfs nearly on a daily basis, all from word.app.
page count: aprox 10-120. Works amazingly flawless.
Or creating a pdf file from any webpage ...(thank you kick)

I wouldn't do the same with 10-120 page quarkxpress docs, which contain hundreds of pics inside. Therefore i would go acrobat indeed.

hope that clarifies a bit
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
Kickaha

Thanks so much for the link, the app does a great job - mark another one up to Realbasic! I've also used it to join pages scanned from articles that I wanted to archive.

All the best, DavidH.

Oh man, this app is amazing. Why didn't you tell us dumbs earlier?
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #27 of 32
Because I'm an evil mod that likes to watch the monkeys dance.

Dance my monkeys! Daaaaaance!



Actually, I saw this thread, figured someone would have already mentioned it, waded in a bit later, and realized no one had.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #28 of 32
Thread Starter 
Notch another one up for Word. When printing to pdf from Word, I use descriptive names that often test the character limit for names (31 characters). However, I use a custom toolbar that contains all the tools in one place that I use frequently, such as 'Paste Special...'. When I print to pdf with this toolbar in use, Word suggests the name 'Custom' in the save dialogue rather than the actual file name modified with the extension '.pdf'. This means of course that I have to type the whole name in again.

Roll on Appleworks!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
Hi Mike

Interesting result, a document within a document, each potentially with a set of scroll bars!

Thanks for that, David.8)

Sorry if I might have sounded confusing. But I meant just copy and paste the contents of your Word file into Text Edit and then save the new Text Edit file as a .DOC file.

Mike
post #30 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by MPMoriarty
Sorry if I might have sounded confusing. But I meant just copy and paste the contents of your Word file into Text Edit and then save the new Text Edit file as a .DOC file.

Mike

Hi Mike

Of course, silly me. Interesting effect though!

David
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #31 of 32
I found this thread while Gooogling this very problem. I'm NOT a mac user typically but my PhD thesis has bene created on one and I (of course) ran into this section break problem. Fun problem that had me very annoyed this morning.

Versions of software:

OS X
Word X
Acrobat 7 Professional

Work-around:

take the document and print preview it with acrobat chosen as the printer. It'll come up in the preview application as three different pdf files. From there you can save as "chapter2-1.pdf" chapter2-2.pdf" etc. you can combine them in acrobat. yay!

I hope this helps.
post #32 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by accidentalsuccess View Post

I found this thread while Gooogling this very problem. I'm NOT a mac user typically but my PhD thesis has bene created on one and I (of course) ran into this section break problem. Fun problem that had me very annoyed this morning.

Versions of software:

OS X
Word X
Acrobat 7 Professional

Work-around:

take the document and print preview it with acrobat chosen as the printer. It'll come up in the preview application as three different pdf files. From there you can save as "chapter2-1.pdf" chapter2-2.pdf" etc. you can combine them in acrobat. yay!

I hope this helps.

Welcome to AppleInsider!

Give the application 'Combine PDFs' a go, works very well.

I resort to word only if desperate, I use Pages and print straight to PDF. I'm working on a PhD too, hope your's goes well.

Thanks for following up, appreciated!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Printing from Word to pdf