or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iMac G5 Monitor Spanning
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iMac G5 Monitor Spanning

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
CONFIRMED!

Monitor spanning (dual desktops) on the iMac G5 works, by applying the same old (iBook and iMac G4) openfirmware-patch found here:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html


Here's more info:
http://rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/foru...opic.php?t=296
post #2 of 17
Yes

CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
Reply
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
Reply
post #3 of 17
Can the iMac drive the 20 or 23" apple displays then?

If I got this:

VGA to DVI
post #4 of 17
This is simply great news! I was waiting on this news in my decision to buy a new imac. This will pretty much seal the deal for me.
post #5 of 17
The value of the iMac just got a nice bump
What the problem is?
Reply
What the problem is?
Reply
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
tacojohn: Probably yes.

For super-resolution support, use DisplayConfigX:
http://voodoofx.all.de/displayconfigx/


I use it to drive my iMacG4 external monitor (an old 19" CRT) at upto 2304x1728 resolution. You can specify any resolution with it.
post #7 of 17
So how will the quality if I was driving the 20" from the new iMac? Compairing VGA to DVI?
post #8 of 17
Why the heck is this not enabled by default?
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Probably no big differece in quality, but a small difference in latency (delay).
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Placebo: welcome to Apple crippleware (aka consumer products).
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
BTW, did you know the old iMac G3 can drive displays upto at least 1600x1200, if you disconnect the internal display connector and hook it up to an capable external display. It uses internally the same connector and monitor id-pins as all old Macs (the D-25 connector). Probably you could hack the internal cable too by shorting the display id -pins differently. I'm sure the crt is capable of bigger resolutions than 1024x768 at lower refresh rates.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Juha Otus
Probably no big differece in quality, but a small difference in latency (delay).

Will it be noticable aka unusable?
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
It's noticeable, but not unusable.
You could compare it to a dead pixel or the sync threads of trinitron displays.
You'll notice it if you are looking for it, but you won't notice it if you aren't looking for it
The delay is because of the analog vga sync -> digital dvi display. It'll lag behind a frame or two. Barely noticeable.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Juha Otus
It's noticeable, but not unusable.
You could compare it to a dead pixel or the sync threads of trinitron displays.
You'll notice it if you are looking for it, but you won't notice it if you aren't looking for it
The delay is because of the analog vga sync -> digital dvi display. It'll lag behind a frame or two. Barely noticeable.

So I guess what would be a good thing to ask- how about gaming or watching a movie on it? Will the sync be lost between the voices and controls?

Sorry about the questions, but I don't want to drop $1500 on display + conversion box for it to suck.

Peace.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
If you are an elite fps shooter player, you could notice it.
Video won't be out of sync.
A refresh rate of 70Hz would have a delay of 1/100 to 3/100 seconds.
If the PowerBook 12" mini-DVI to DVI adapter is pin-compatible with the iMac mini-VGA connector, there maybe is a chance to use it instead of the VGA to DVI adapter.
Does anyone here have a PowerBook 12" and a iMac to try it out?
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Juha Otus
If you are an elite fps shooter player, you could notice it.
Video won't be out of sync.
A refresh rate of 70Hz would have a delay of 1/100 to 3/100 seconds.
If the PowerBook 12" mini-DVI to DVI adapter is pin-compatible with the iMac mini-VGA connector, there maybe is a chance to use it instead of the VGA to DVI adapter.
Does anyone here have a PowerBook 12" and a iMac to try it out?

I have the 12" powerbook with the TV out adapter for the iMac (got the adapter, but not the iMac- lol) and it doesn't fit in the powerbook (different connector all together). So I would assume that the DVI connector wouldn't work.

hy apple why can't they just put a DVI out on the iMac? It would make things much easier!
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Crippleware, crippleware..
The reason is always the same: the fear of losing the market of "Pro" products. The 5200U chip is definitely capable of DVI, I think it's just a matter of time until someone comes out with a hach to enable DVI out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › iMac G5 Monitor Spanning