or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 Powerbooks to be release in 1 month.

G5 Powerbooks to be release in 1 month. - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Is not the iMac G5 good for you? Do you really need a machine that can run on battery and be taken on the road?

I'll never buy a desktop again. Portables are just too useful and convenient.
King Felix
King Felix
post #42 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Yevgeny
I'll never buy a desktop again. Portables are just too useful and convenient.

But the iMac is a portable. Only restriction is that you rely on a power outlet. OK, you need also a keyboard and a mouse. So a portable inside the home.

You know, PC reviews classify the new iMac as a "desktop replacement" replacement . And for good reason: some days ago, I saw a 17" Acer laptop, having the weight of the 17" iMac .
post #43 of 87
Does anyone have any concrete info about the PPC 7448? Is it rumored or confirmed that it has a 200Mhz bus and uses DDR400? Is this a real chip or merely a "logical guess" on what's going to be in it?
post #44 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Spytap
Does anyone have any concrete info about the PPC 7448? Is it rumored or confirmed that it has a 200Mhz bus and uses DDR400? Is this a real chip or merely a "logical guess" on what's going to be in it?

No one knows for sure right now. I guess we will find out next week, during the SNDF in Frankfurt. There is a new high-performance and low-power PowerPC processor coming from Freescale, see here. But there are no details at the moment, so we don't know what exactly is it or if it will be suitable for the Powerbooks. Only that it will run at under 10 W.

EDIT: down in the page I posted above, there is something about the 7447A. Can anyone see if there is something new or if it is simply a resume of well-known properties of the 7447A?
post #45 of 87
Actually, it won't be out for six weeks and Apple is skipping the G5 and moving straight on to the G6.

This is confirmed fact.

My dog told me.

This is odd, as my dog has never spoken to me before.

Even stranger, I don't even have a dog.
post #46 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
But the iMac is a portable. Only restriction is that you rely on a power outlet. OK, you need also a keyboard and a mouse. So a portable inside the home.

You know, PC reviews classify the new iMac as a "desktop replacement" replacement . And for good reason: some days ago, I saw a 17" Acer laptop, having the weight of the 17" iMac .

The iMacs weigh: 18.5 pounds for the 17" and 25.2 pounds for the 20" plus keyboard and mouse. That is not a desktop replacment, it is a desktop.

On the PC side most of the desktop replacements run between 7 - 10 pounds (You can even get a full 3.4GHz HT P4 desktop replacement notebook under 10 pounds).

What I want is a 2.5GHz G5 laptop that weighs around 10 pounds. I don't care about its thickness or looks. I want functional power in a portable form -- is that to much to ask for? You can get it on the PC side, and I don't think that there is a technical reason we cannot get it in a Mac.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #47 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
OMG CONFIRMED!!!1

The PowerBook G5!

lol!!!!!!!!!
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Res

On the PC side most of the desktop replacements run between 7 - 10 pounds (You can even get a full 3.4GHz HT P4 desktop replacement notebook under 10 pounds).

Yeah, I know that. However, the Acer I saw was indeed around 18 pounds.
post #49 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Is not the iMac G5 good for you? Do you really need a machine that can run on battery and be taken on the road?

I carry my PB between work and home everyday - your suggestion is tempting cuz those G5 imacs are damm FAST!. I might even try that out for a week and see if i tire from the lugging.

Still, if indeed we get 1.8G G4 PB's for the next update - that will be the way to go.
post #50 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by PB

Ummmm, no. The iMac is portable in the sense that it is not bolted to the ground. It is portable in the sense that you will always be within five feet of a power outlet. It is portable in the sense that the eMac is portable. In other words, the iMac is NOT portable. I am NOT going to take the iMac to a coffee shop, plug it in, plug my keyboard in, plug my mouse in, etc.

You're smoking crack if you think the new iMac is portable. I have played with them at the Apple store, and where they are nice, they AREN'T portables.
King Felix
King Felix
post #51 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Yevgeny

You're smoking crack if you think the new iMac is portable. I have played with them at the Apple store, and where they are nice, they AREN'T portables.

I thought I was quite clear. But guess I was not. Of course the new iMac is not portable. But it is pretty easy and simple to move it anywhere in a house or office, that's all I am saying. And after having tried a 12" Powerbook on my back, I would find now difficult to carry anything heavier.
post #52 of 87
We'll all just have to wait and see for the moment. As nice as a G5 would be inside a Powerbook, is it really entirely necessary right now?

If Apple releases speed bumped Powerbooks in the next month or two, with 1.6 to 1.8GHz G4 processors as the rumour site suggested, that seems pretty reasonable to me. The key thing that Apple needs to address right now in my opinion is the brightness of their mobile displays, as well as their battery life. Shouldn't be too difficult/expensive to bundle a higher capacity battery and migrate to a better screen, and a better battery shouldn't be a terribly big weight hit.

In my opinion, laptops should ideally focus primarily on portability when being designed - the smaller/thinner/lighter, the better. I don't like or agree with the concept of big, heavy desktop replacement category laptops with miniscule battery life, particularly since the noticeable speed difference between the two extremes is now pretty minimal for most purposes (i.e. using a Pentium-M based laptop vs. a Pentium 3.4GHz processor in a desktop replacement behemoth).

Minus my gripe about overall screen brightness, even the current Powerbook models are waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of their peers on the PC side of the pond.
post #53 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Chagi
Minus my gripe about overall screen brightness, even the current Powerbook models are waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of their peers on the PC side of the pond.

Pentium M's are much faster than powerbooks offerings, many of the PC laptops are lighter, faster and offer better battery life and wifi reception. Powerbooks might be slightly better in some categories, but they arent "waaaaaaaaay" ahead in terms of hardware, and in a lot of cases they are behind.
post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Chagi
-snip-

Unfortunately, while that used to be true, nowadays the powerbooks have fallen behind their counterparts on the PC side. A few years ago powerbooks had no peers -- they were more powerful, had more features, and looked better than anything on the PC side. Now they lack power, have a feature list that matched or surpassed, and look about the same as an upscale PC notebook. (The lighted keyboard is the only feature missing form PC notebooks that I can think of off the top of my head. )

I want a G5 in a notebook, and I don't mean one of those wimpy 1.6GHhz ones either, give me a kick ass 2.5GHz G5 on a screaming fast bus with powerful graphics and lots of ports. (And for god's sake use a tray loading superdrive.)

I know that Apple could make one if SJ thought it was a good idea.
post #55 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Res
I want a G5 in a notebook, and I don't mean one of those wimpy 1.6GHhz ones either, give me a kick ass 2.5GHz G5 on a screaming fast bus with powerful graphics and lots of ports. (And for god's sake use a tray loading superdrive.)

I know that Apple could make one if SJ thought it was a good idea.

If Apple wanted to make a luggable computer, something 2.5 inches thick, 12 lbs, with 2 hours of battery life, perhaps.

Yes, Apple has some performance catching up to do in the area of roughly comparable laptops -- laptops in roughly the same size and weight category as their own -- but let's not confuse product categories.

The PC "laptops" with the kind of speed and graphics performance you're talking about are more like transportable desktops than laptops. I get the impression that such monsters are not a product category Apple is interested in pursuing.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #56 of 87
basically I just want a thin powerbook with good battery life and pentium m like power
post #57 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
If Apple wanted to make a luggable computer, something 2.5 inches thick, 12 lbs, with 2 hours of battery life, perhaps.

Yes, Apple has some performance catching up to do in the area of roughly comparable laptops -- laptops in roughly the same size and weight category as their own -- but let's not confuse product categories.

The PC "laptops" with the kind of speed and graphics performance you're talking about are more like transportable desktops than laptops. I get the impression that such monsters are not a product category Apple is interested in pursuing.

It would be a portable computer, not a luggable one. It seems silly to me that people are starting to term 10 pound laptops luggable. No, the Osborne was a luggable computer. The 10 pound notebook computers are portables, as was my wallstreet g3 which weighed about 10 pounds with both batteries in it (not to mention the other couple of pounds for the expansion bay accessories).

Unfortunately, Apple has not only been ignoring the heaver desktop replacement portables, but also the 3-4 pound compact modles. I almost got my brother-in-law to get a Mac, but he wanted something lighter than any of the Apple offerings.

I think it is past time for Apple to expand its portable line. They don't need to come out with as many models as Toshiba, Sony or Dell, but it would be nice if they would make the basic three categories:

Compact: 3-4 pounds.
Midsize: 4-7 pounds. (the current power book and iBook lines)
Luxury: 7-10 pounds.

Most of the PC notebook makers offer the notebooks in those three of more categories, Apple should do the same.
post #58 of 87
Quote:
Actually, it won't be out for six weeks and Apple is skipping the G5 and moving straight on to the G6.

This is confirmed fact.

My dog told me.

This is odd, as my dog has never spoken to me before.

Even stranger, I don't even have a dog.

PowerBook G5s probably aren't that close but it would be cool if they could make it by Christmas. More like a MWSF, shipping by Feb or haha knowing Apple...March. If they can fit all that in to the iMac they can do it with a laptop. What amazes me is that they fit the power supply in there! I mean why not have a AC adapter brick! I wouldn't mind that at all. That was what really impressed me!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #59 of 87
So a 1U power supply is impressive these days?

The G5 Powerbook will come when IBM can resolve its problems with the 970FX. The existance of the iMac has nothing to do with the Powerbook.

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
That was what really impressed me!
post #60 of 87
Considering how quiet it is??? Yes it is. Their engineers are so great. When I mean squeeze a G5 in to the iMac I do notmean the CPU itself. I mean everything else. I know that their are different versions of the G5 and that the FX is, I suppose, the chip intended for portables.

Motorola will never produce. \
post #61 of 87
the ibooks are definitly faster or snappier than new celeron based pc lapetops. My wife's 2.8 GHz toshiba is just pokey.
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic

PowerBook G5s probably aren't that close but it would be cool if they could make it by Christmas. More like a MWSF, shipping by Feb or haha knowing Apple...March. If they can fit all that in to the iMac they can do it with a laptop. What amazes me is that they fit the power supply in there! I mean why not have a AC adapter brick! I wouldn't mind that at all. That was what really impressed me!

An AC adapter brick ???
you just destroyed the entire AIO -"look mom, just a string attached"- concept of the new iMac.

i would mind, i wouldn't have bought the bastard.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #63 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
How you can know that?

By looking at the released models power management specs. Anyone can see it, you just have to look.

And yes, Apple has "announced" in their power management kernel extension specs in 10.3.5 that there will be 2 PowerBooks based on the 970fx and PowerTune.

You just have to look.
...we have assumed control
post #64 of 87
You should interpet what you found to indicate that APPLE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE 970FX base laptops on the market. The interesting question is when will they be able to deliver the machine.

The rumor mill along with the reality mill hasn't been to kind with respect to IBM and their ability to get it up. With out a 970FX that works reliably at power frugally the 970 based laptop will simply be a dream. I very much suspect that Apple is dreaming about this, maybe even having nightmares like they did back in the Motorola days, so it will be interesting how long the wait is. I suspect that they will arrive as soon as IBM starts to build the 970FX rev x on a new process.

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
By looking at the released models power management specs. Anyone can see it, you just have to look.

And yes, Apple has "announced" in their power management kernel extension specs in 10.3.5 that there will be 2 PowerBooks based on the 970fx and PowerTune.

You just have to look.
post #65 of 87
think there will be a minor cosmetic change to the powerbook case like what they did for the ibook?
post #66 of 87
Look how badly the current Apple laptops, and almost everyone's towers, are gitting clobbered by a 2GHz Pentium M notebook:

So you don't even need to get a huge PC notebook, the 2GHz Pentium M seems to come in somewhere between 5-7 pounds.

Note that Live 4 only used one processor in multiprocessor machines, so it seems that for this program the 2GHz Pentium M is about the equivalent of a 2.5GHz G5. Which is what I want in my powerbook (and in the new iMac, but that is a different thread).
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Res
Look how badly the current Apple laptops, and almost everyone's towers, are gitting clobbered by a 2GHz Pentium M notebook:

i see a list where every processor on the market is "clobbered" by a 2Ghz Pentium M.
is it possible that it's not that well optimized for mac.
is it possible that these are results submitted by users so it hassn't not done properly
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
i see a list where every processor on the market is "clobbered" by a 2Ghz Pentium M.
is it possible that it's not that well optimized for mac.
is it possible that these are results submitted by users so it hassn't not done properly

I ran across the link in the OSX audeo forums, the original tests are at theAbleton forums

They have a lot of people are posting their results, and they seem to be matching up consistently, so it looks like an good test.

Live 4 should be optimized as well for Mac as it is for the PC, and judging from the test results the Macs are performing about were we would expect them to.
post #69 of 87
I wish Apple would consider a thicker Powerbook. By sacrificing some of the "sexiness" of the 1 inch-design they would be able to add so much more in terms of usability and power.

Consider this: The current Powerbooks are 1 inch thick, of which (roughly 0.5" is screen, keyboard and frame.
Thus, by making the Powerbook 1.5" thick they would *double* the internal capacity.

Plenty of room for a battery twice as big - probably supplying three times the power...
The processor gets twice the room - a G5 with a nifty cooling system would fit.
Also, there would be a lot much more space for air to flow inside - as the superdrive, motherboard etc. would not have to grow.
Finally, a thicker powerbook could also bring a better screen and a sturdier frame/surface.

In alles, by adding (around) half an inch we would get a kick-ass Powerbook! Not much of a sacrifice if you ask me (who is perfectly happy with the size and weight of my Pismo - but waiting for portable G5 power).
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Kendoka
In alles, by adding (around) half an inch we would get a kick-ass Powerbook! Not much of a sacrifice if you ask me (who is perfectly happy with the size and weight of my Pismo - but waiting for portable G5 power).

If they got any bigger I would most certainly not want one. More capacity, means bigger batteries, more junk and more weight. I want a lightweight small laptop. I can see your argument for an additional desktop replacement laptop, but not making all the powerbooks thicker just because you are OK with thickness.
post #71 of 87
I think we will see one of two scenarios - either Apple releases two 970fx PowerTuned PowerBooks and keep the 12 incher or they go back to a two-notebook lineup for the PowerBook range. I think the prior is the solution they will take. According to machine codes, PowerBook{odd},x is the 15" and 17" models, PowerBook{even},x are the iBooks and 12" PowerBook.
post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
I think we will see one of two scenarios - either Apple releases two 970fx PowerTuned PowerBooks and keep the 12 incher or they go back to a two-notebook lineup for the PowerBook range. I think the prior is the solution they will take. According to machine codes, PowerBook{odd},x is the 15" and 17" models, PowerBook{even},x are the iBooks and 12" PowerBook.

yeah but these 970fx based powerbooks could come after another g4 revision or two
post #73 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter North
yeah but these 970fx based powerbooks could come after another g4 revision or two

They could come two years from now also. God only knows, but my gut feeling is MWSF 2005. I really don't see Freescale advancing much. I guess we will see tomorrow morning (8:45am CST or so) what Freescale is up to.
post #74 of 87
so if Ableton Live only uses one processor shouldn't the 2x2.5 Mac score be 10.5% cpu usage?
post #75 of 87
What's up with the G3 at 800mhz beating the G4 at 800mhz. The only difference is Jaguar on the G3 and Panther on the G4. Is panther really that much of a dog?

Could it be this software is not Alti-vec optimized? Could that significantly change those results if it were?

Not dual processor.
Not using Altivec.

Perhaps you need better software.

I admit, I don't know what Alberton 4 is or whatever, but whatever it does, there should be a better alternative.
post #76 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by tak1108
What's up with the G3 at 800mhz beating the G4 at 800mhz. The only difference is Jaguar on the G3 and Panther on the G4. Is panther really that much of a dog?

Ive only seen iBook G4's eating iBook G3's for breakfast...?
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #77 of 87
A company named Eurocom released specs for their new laptop and it's video card is listed as the Geforce 6800 Go. Could this new yet to be released chip be included in a new Powerbook since the 6800 Ultra is going into the PowerMac? Just thought I would throw this out since people were talking about the mobile Radeon 9800 chip.
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
Ive only seen iBook G4's eating iBook G3's for breakfast...?

Having used both iBook G3s and G4s as well as PowerMac G3s and G4s and G5s, I can conclude that a G4 will do circles around G3s in floating point intensive (read: most Mac OS X apps these days) apps and the G5 does similar to G4-based systems. Sure, the carbon-based, non-altivec using app will fair well under all of these systems, but launch something simple like Final Cut Express on one and you will see a big difference.
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by CrowFreak
A company named Eurocom released specs for their new laptop and it's video card is listed as the Geforce 6800 Go. Could this new yet to be released chip be included in a new Powerbook since the 6800 Ultra is going into the PowerMac? Just thought I would throw this out since people were talking about the mobile Radeon 9800 chip.

I kind of doubt it, since Eurocom laptops tend to be much larger than Powerbooks (the former generally being more of a desktop replacement), I doubt that the 6800 Go would be a good choice for the Powerbooks.
post #80 of 87
I think these specs are pleasing...

As far as the Pentium 2ghz M beating those other procs... BS. I'd put a p4 3ghz against a AMD 64 3200+ any day. Perhaps that software doesn't do floating point calculations?

If you want a good benchmark utility for just cpu...... use dnetc.

Also... wasn't aware there was a pentium-m running at 2ghz yet... weird.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 Powerbooks to be release in 1 month.