or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Tired of the 6800 crap? Email NVIDIA!

Tired of the 6800 crap? Email NVIDIA! - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by iHarry
My dual 2.5 WITH the 6800 has shipped!!!! My 30" display will ship on or before 10/25

Mine too!! Just got the email. Woohoo!!!
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by auslander
Mine too!! Just got the email. Woohoo!!!

Mine was supposed to ship on or before the 25th as well, but I didn't get an e-mail. <sniff> <sniff> Instead, my date to changed to "On or before Nov. 15th" today. Which is funny cause all I did was change the configuration to add OS X Server, which the said "won't change the date..." Argh! I don't know how much more I can take!
post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by mikefl420
Mine was supposed to ship on or before the 25th as well, but I didn't get an e-mail. <sniff> <sniff> Instead, my date to changed to "On or before Nov. 15th" today. Which is funny cause all I did was change the configuration to add OS X Server, which the said "won't change the date..." Argh! I don't know how much more I can take!

Mine was supposed to ship on or before October 8th for the last month. Yesterday I got an email telling me it would be on or before Oct 15th, and I literally got the shipping email 30 mins ago. Tracked it, and it's on the way.

So..the 6800s DO exist! Can't wait to check it out...
post #44 of 72
Someone please post a review of the 6800 when you get it.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #45 of 72
Quote:
My dual 2.5 WITH the 6800 has shipped!!!! My 30" display will ship on or before 10/25

Harry! See Doug Smile! There are posts all over with the same news! I bet the 30" displays are rolling too! Watch your email!
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #46 of 72
Quote:

WHAT WAS YOUR ORDER DATE????

Don't tell me after June 28th! I'll kill someone!

Mac Pro 3.0, 5.0GB OWC RAM, WD 74GB Raptor System Disk, 2x500GB Deskstar RAID0, 500GB Deskstar, ATI 1900XT 512MB, 30" Display, iSight, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
Mac Pro 3.0, 5.0GB OWC RAM, WD 74GB Raptor System Disk, 2x500GB Deskstar RAID0, 500GB Deskstar, ATI 1900XT 512MB, 30" Display, iSight, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by UnixMac
WHAT WAS YOUR ORDER DATE????

Don't tell me after June 28th! I'll kill someone!

Mine was July 13th.

/runs

\
post #48 of 72
Quote:

My vendor got a shipping notice many weeks ago that my 30" display was shipping from China. He believes Apple didn't ship it to me because of the 6800's. They have them in a warehouse somewhere.

PLUS, my vendor advised that if Apple sets a ship date during the week (mind you the 6800's are a story all on their own) it is "usually" a good date. If they set it for a Friday it gets shakey. 10/25, Monday, that is a good thing but I still expect you'll see it sooner than that.
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Mine was July 13th.

/runs

\

Nothing against the Brits! I order mine here in the US 2 weeks before you did in the UK (where things are always slower to arrive), and I'm still waiting on my 6800! That dog don't hunt! I'm gonna chew someone at Apple for this!

iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Nothing against the Brits! I order mine here in the US 2 weeks before you did in the UK (where things are always slower to arrive), and I'm still waiting on my 6800! That dog don't hunt! I'm gonna chew someone at Apple for this!

Haha. Actually I'm *from* London, but I live in Chicago (25 yrs now). I'm also a developer, but I don't know if that makes any difference...
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Haha. Actually I'm *from* London, but I live in Chicago (25 yrs now). I'm also a developer, but I don't know if that makes any difference...

ah.. thus the deutch.. auslander name!

Anyway, I figure it's prolly due to the 30" that you're getting which can ONLY run with the 6800.. I have the 23" so I guess I can wait (apple thinks!).

Well, at least make good use of it and develop us some good mac graphics apps!
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #52 of 72
Quote:

So..the 6800s DO exist! Can't wait to check it out...

Of course. Hardmac says some Mac users in the US have already received their 6800. Apparently, none of them is reading these boards.
post #53 of 72
Quote:
ah.. thus the deutch.. auslander name!

Anyway, I figure it's prolly due to the 30" that you're getting which can ONLY run with the 6800.. I have the 23" so I guess I can wait (apple thinks!).

Well, at least make good use of it and develop us some good mac graphics apps!

Yeah - auslander = foreigner etc.

I'm not getting a 30". I currently use a 23" and a 20", but I wanted the 6800 so that one day I *could* use one or two 30" monitors (finances permitting).

I work in audio..so you'll be waiting a while for any graphics apps from me..haha.
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Mine was July 13th.

/runs

\

August 16th. The 30" display has not arrived yet.
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
post #55 of 72
I ordered mine on the 18th of August, and as I did it thru a third party, I am unable to look up a shipping date. So I have always been gonig to the Apple website and mocking up an order.... just to see what ship date it would give.

On both the Australian and US Apple sites, they have always said late october for the 6800... until today.

The US still says late october, but now the Australian site is saying 6-8 days. Hopefully this means I'll be getting mine soon... but it is more than likely a glitch on the Apple site... we are always last for stuff down here, I would hate for then to change anything now.
Owen stop reading my posts.
post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by iDunno
I ordered mine on the 18th of August, and as I did it thru a third party, I am unable to look up a shipping date. So I have always been gonig to the Apple website and mocking up an order.... just to see what ship date it would give.

On both the Australian and US Apple sites, they have always said late october for the 6800... until today.

The US still says late october, but now the Australian site is saying 6-8 days. Hopefully this means I'll be getting mine soon... but it is more than likely a glitch on the Apple site... we are always last for stuff down here, I would hate for then to change anything now.

The 6 to 8 days just might be true. I know with the 6800's for PC's they were being built / assembled in various places around the world. The possibility that Apple's doing the same I would guess is very real. You may have them being built near you and without the U.S. back log. They do seem to be shipping ahead of the scheduled dates with only an email saying they have shipped.

Mine is "scheduled" for 10/29 and my hope is a surprise shipping notice any time now.
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #57 of 72
Has anyone who took the ATI 9600 deal as a temporary substitute gotten their 6800 yet?

-Len
post #58 of 72
I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!I GOT IT! I GOT IT!
I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!I GOT IT! I GOT IT!I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!I GOT IT! I GOT IT!

Fellas, my supplier just rang and informed me that my dual 2 G5 with 6800 has arriver and is waiting for me to pick it up... there goes my weekend hanging out with my girlfriend!

Not bad considering I ordered on Aug 18th, and planty of Yanks who ordered a lot earlier than I are still waiting. I guess living down in Australia has finally had an advantage.

iDunno
post #59 of 72
Quote:
I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!I GOT IT! I GOT IT!I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!I GOT IT! I GOT IT!

Fellas, my supplier just rang and informed me that my dual 2 G5 with 6800 has arriver and is waiting for me to pick it up... there goes my weekend hanging out with my girlfriend!

Not bad considering I ordered on Aug 18th, and planty of Yanks who ordered a lot earlier than I are still waiting. I guess living down in Australia has finally had an advantage.

iDunno

"The 6 to 8 days just might be true."

This is one time it pleases me to say I told you so!

You will post your "first impressions" right?
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #60 of 72
lol, got it home this morning...
First Impression:

WHERE'S MY MONITOR!!!! I have had an iMac for the last four years, and I wasn't expecting the G5 so soon, so I am yet to get out and actually buy a monitor for it. So my new G5 with 6800 is on my floor, nothing but a paperweight.
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by len
Has anyone who took the ATI 9600 deal as a temporary substitute gotten their 6800 yet?

-Len

Mine has shipped.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #62 of 72
This thread really is useless without pics. Really.
post #63 of 72
Quote:
lol, got it home this morning...
First Impression:

WHERE'S MY MONITOR!!!! I have had an iMac for the last four years, and I wasn't expecting the G5 so soon, so I am yet to get out and actually buy a monitor for it. So my new G5 with 6800 is on my floor, nothing but a paperweight.

A paper weight. Now there is a first impression I have never seen before!
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #64 of 72
Sorry, this got posted into a seperate thread, should have been in here!

Here are a few pics of the 6800 mounted inside the dual 2.5...

Close up... the damn thing is basically one huge fan, and a bunch of capacitors... I can't see a single computer chip on the whole board.

It's not as loud as it looks however....
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Question to you "9600 until your 6800 comes" guys- Will you have to send that 9600 back to Apple, or is that your free piece of $100 hardware to then sell off when you get the 6800?

No it's ours to keep.

I got to purchase my G5 in town and got a $200 discount on the 6800, look at this blog entry to find out how:
http://www.blargatron-systems.com/?s=blog&a=151510399
Mac user since before you were born.
post #66 of 72
Quote:

That red light means it's plugged in you silly goose! the instruction booklet advises heavily against that.
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by slughead
That red light means it's plugged in you silly goose! the instruction booklet advises heavily against that.

That's to protect against over heat.. and it was just 5 seconds for a darn photo for God sake... I doubt whether the computer is going to overheat in that time.. Plus do you really think I can stand the noise level that thing makes with the plastic removed for more than the time to snap a picture???

The instruction book also tells me how to sit at the computer and the p
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #68 of 72
Quote:
That's to protect against over heat.. and it was just 5 seconds for a darn photo for God sake... I doubt whether the computer is going to overheat in that time.. Plus do you really think I can stand the noise level that thing makes with the plastic removed for more than the time to snap a picture???

The instruction book also tells me how to sit at the computer and the p

LOL the only reason I know what the red light does is because that's what was doing last night trying to get my 6800 to work. I was just kidding heh
post #69 of 72
Sorry if I was a bit thin skinned... You never know when someone is trying to be a smart ass vs just making a joke.. sorry.

BTW... does your Mac boot up into the provided CD (Install Disk 1) that came with your mac, now that your 6800 is installed? I get a kernel panic when I try it... which leads me to believe that Apple is going to need to send me a new CD for my system recovery and Disk Utility software.
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #70 of 72
Quote:
Sorry if I was a bit thin skinned... You never know when someone is trying to be a smart ass vs just making a joke.. sorry.

BTW... does your Mac boot up into the provided CD (Install Disk 1) that came with your mac, now that your 6800 is installed? I get a kernel panic when I try it... which leads me to believe that Apple is going to need to send me a new CD for my system recovery and Disk Utility software.

Nope, it doesn't boot off the OS X install disk. That was the problem I ran into in my blog article (I know, I've posted it a bunch but this is important).

My whole problem was, I didn't install the driver BEFORE I installed the card, and thus kernel panics galore.

Even the OS X install disk went into a Kernel Panic every time it was used, simply because the 6800 was present.

Even using another video card to try to boot would not bypass the problem!

The only solution is to remove the card when you have to boot off a copy of OS X which does not yet have the driver installed.

My inability to accept this as a possibility before going through hours of work was what caused my "nightmare."

This is a major design flaw, they'd better send us either a free copy of tiger or a free upgraded install CD, because I'm going to be hella annoyed if I have to open up my computer just to reinstall my OS.
post #71 of 72
Glad I wasn't the only one... and keep in mind, I did the driver install first and that wasn't my problem... it was when I went to do a disk repair using my CD ROM that all hell broke loose..

So, I hope you called them like I did and demand a solution.

We'll see..
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Glad I wasn't the only one... and keep in mind, I did the driver install first and that wasn't my problem... it was when I went to do a disk repair using my CD ROM that all hell broke loose..

So, I hope you called them like I did and demand a solution.

We'll see..

Oh crap a permissions repair.. didn't even think of that. This problem needs to be corrected immediately.

Well looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow :X
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Tired of the 6800 crap? Email NVIDIA!