or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush's Earpiece!

Bush's Earpiece!

post #1 of 85
THE EARPIECE

It all started when Bush looked up halfway though an answer during Thursday's debate and snapped petulantly, "Let me finish." This is a trademark Bush line and normally wouldn't draw any comment except for one thing: no one had interrupted him. He had plenty of time left, Kerry hadn't said anything, and Jim Lehrer hadn't said anything either. So who was he talking to?

The theory making the rounds is that he was wearing an implanted earpiece of some kind and was reacting to advice from whatever handler was on the other end. The hard evidence for this is approximately zero, but it did bring back memories of an odd incident a few months ago: Bush was at a press conference with Jacques Chirac and really was wearing an earpiece, and it appeared that his responses to questions were being fed to him a few moments before the words came out of his mouth. You could hear it on every network that carried the event.

And for even more weirdness, there's the mystery of the strange lump in the back of his jacket. It's been there before at press conferences, and it was there again at the debate (Digby has a picture). What is it?

Weird, weird, weird. But I'm sure there's a good explanation that doesn't involve tinfoil hats. Comments are open.

Washington Monthly
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 85
post #3 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
THE EARPIECE

It all started when Bush looked up halfway though an answer during Thursday's debate and snapped petulantly, "Let me finish." This is a trademark Bush line and normally wouldn't draw any comment except for one thing: no one had interrupted him. He had plenty of time left, Kerry hadn't said anything, and Jim Lehrer hadn't said anything either. So who was he talking to?

I watched the debate again and you can hear someone, presumably Lehrer, start to say something right before Bush says "let me finish." I don't know why Lehrer would interrupt, but that's what it sounds like to me.
post #4 of 85
It was most likely a pen, in his ear, you damn bush-haters.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #5 of 85
The "let me finish" comment comes in at about 40:35 from the c-span video.
post #6 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Ra
The "let me finish" comment comes in at about 40:35 from the c-span video.

Much to my disappointment I'm afraid the handler/earpiece theory just doesn't fly.

Why would a handler have to tell him to say that ? And surely not at that precise point when no-one had said anything. Also the risk is too great of flouting the law in full view....um err.......wait.....

Alternatively, Kerry or Lerher might have prompted the remark by some non-verbal type of interruption.

Personally I think that Bush is conditioned to using this phrase whenever he gets in hot water - he often uses it (to good effect) at the few press conferences he deigns to attend. It is kind of a mantra, a magic phrase that soothes the petulant beast: most likely he found himself so out of his depth he just invoked it arbitrarily without any rhyme, reason or context. He is accustomed to using language in such a fashion and does it often.

I'm more surprised he didn't just keep repeating it on continuous loop.....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #7 of 85
I bet it was just bush getting confused by some minor glitches in the pen-shaped Bush Mind Controller that Kerry pulled out of his jacket. Hopefully the Kerry campaign will get those bugs worked out.
post #8 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Why would a handler have to tell him to say that ?

I think the idea was that the comment was directed to whoomever was presumably talking in his ear, not that this person feeding him lines told him to say that. Personally, as Northgate pointed out in the opening post, I suspect it's a habit at this point for him to say it. God knows I have whole conversations in my head before I talk sometimes, often beginning my vocal comments with pronouns and such. I imagine that Bush could have said something like this, clumsy speaker that he is, either out of habit or trying to handle what's in his own head.

Methinks people reach waaaaaay too far for any excuse to discredit these candidates, no matter how much of a non-issue or stretch their claim may be. Yadda yadda, keep an open mind, yadda yadda, consider all possibilities, blah blah...
post #9 of 85
Quote:
Much to my disappointment I'm afraid the handler/earpiece theory just doesn't fly.

Why would a handler have to tell him to say that ?

No one is saying the 'handler' told Bush to say 'Let me finish', it's just that Bush was in a his usual labored mindlock process of forming word-like sounds and he mistakenly thought the voice was Jim Lehrer. The 'handler' was likely elaborating on what Bush was saying, tweaking it, but Bush was already preoccupied manipulating his tongue, lips and vocal chords.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #10 of 85
Quote:
Alternatively, Kerry or Lerher might have prompted the remark by some non-verbal type of interruption.

I think that's it. I think you can hear something happen, some movement or the beginning of someone talking, right before he says "let me finish." The other thing is that Bush has this way of talking where he pauses after short phrases. It's easy to see how Lehrer could have taken it as an opening to say something else.
post #11 of 85
Actually he really does say it incessantly.

Let me finish!

Now, I'm having great fun replacing "Let me finish" with "shut up!".

I wish I could amass all the "Let me finish" video footage and overdub O'Reilly's "shut up!" quotes over them.
post #12 of 85
If I am ever interviewed by Oreilly, I'll have a bunch of signs made up that I'll hold up to the camera, so he can say "Shut up!" as much as he wants and it won't make a difference.
post #13 of 85
This is silly! The President speaks for himself.

Moe
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #14 of 85
Here's the snip from the transcript:

LEHRER: Ninety seconds, Mr. President.

BUSH: My opponent just said something amazing. He said Osama bin Laden uses the invasion of Iraq as an excuse to spread hatred for America. Osama bin Laden isn't going to determine how we defend ourselves.

Osama bin Laden doesn't get to decide. The American people decide.

I decided the right action was in Iraq. My opponent calls it a mistake. It wasn't a mistake.

He said I misled on Iraq. I don't think he was misleading when he called Iraq a grave threat in the fall of 2002.

I don't think he was misleading when he said that it was right to disarm Iraq in the spring of 2003.

I don't think he misled you when he said that, you know, anyone who doubted whether the world was better off without Saddam Hussein in power didn't have the judgment to be president. I don't think he was misleading.

I think what is misleading is to say you can lead and succeed in Iraq if you keep changing your positions on this war. And he has. As the politics change, his positions change. And that's not how a commander in chief acts.

Let me finish.

The intelligence I looked at was the same intelligence my opponent looked at, the very same intelligence. And when I stood up there and spoke to the Congress, I was speaking off the same intelligence he looked at to make his decisions to support the authorization of force.
post #15 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man

Moe

And a couple of other misguided souls.....
post #16 of 85
Quote:

Moe

Such damning praise.
post #17 of 85
Jam that frequency I say, Jam it!!
post #18 of 85
How it really went down:

BUSH: I think what is misleading is to say you can lead and succeed in Iraq if you keep changing your positions on this war. And he has. As the politics change, his positions change. And that's not how a commander in chief acts.

HANDLER (VIA EARPIECE): The intelligence I look--

BUSH: Let me finish.

LEHRER (THINKING): I didn't say shit.

KERRY (THINKING): Oh, man, dubya's losing it. (Smile, scribble)

BUSH: The intelligence I looked at was the same intelligence my opponent looked at, the very same intelligence. And when I stood up there...
post #19 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
How it really went down:

BUSH: I think what is misleading is to say you can lead and succeed in Iraq if you keep changing your positions on this war. And he has. As the politics change, his positions change. And that's not how a commander in chief acts.

HANDLER (VIA EARPIECE): The intelligence I look--

BUSH: Let me finish.

LEHRER (THINKING): I didn't say shit.

KERRY (THINKING): Oh, man, dubya's losing it. (Smile, scribble)

BUSH: The intelligence I looked at was the same intelligence my opponent looked at, the very same intelligence. And when I stood up there...

LOL

that HAS to be it. At the top you can see Bush has been given 90 seconds. And it only takes about 1 minute to read up to "let me finish" and that's including uuuhhhsss and all that.

Certainly wouldn't be the first time: http://www.canofun.com/blog/videos/B...TheOddSync.wmv
post #20 of 85
Ya know, it's hard work for the President trying to run the country, run the war on terror and take part in this debate. It's hard work, that's all...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #21 of 85
You betcha it's hard work!
post #22 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
You betcha it's hard work!

The way your talking, you'd think your the President!

Dear god - do I crack myself up.
post #23 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
The way your talking, you'd think your the President!

Dear god - do I crack myself up.

See you have to add the [bold] everytime you use the term just like the president does when he pounds the podium and over-emphasises it during his stump. Kinda like "And the American [thump] people [thump] are SAFER [loud thump]...complete with dramatic pauses between words.

Writing that was hard [thump] work[thump]
post #24 of 85
Quote:

Moe

dittos
Crunch for the Cure!
http://www.find-a-drug.org/

---------------------------------
God created Adam and Eve, He didnt create Adam and Steve
-Rep. Roscoe Bartlett
Crunch for the Cure!
http://www.find-a-drug.org/

---------------------------------
God created Adam and Eve, He didnt create Adam and Steve
-Rep. Roscoe Bartlett
post #25 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Neø (in response to someone else saying "The President speaks for himself"):

dittos

But obviously you don't.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #26 of 85
OK, I'm now starting to think about:

http://salon.com/news/feature/2004/1.../index_np.html

and here's the cnn video:

http://www.canofun.com/blog/videos/B...TheOddSync.wmv

And this isn't even what got me thinking about it. It was something I read someone say somewhere.
post #27 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
OK, I'm now starting to think about:

I posted this in the debate thread, but it fits better here:

Remember those rumors on the internets about Bush getting prompts on an earpiece? Am I the only one who thought his answers to the environmental and supreme court questions seemed prompted?

He started his answer to the environmental question so bizzarly. He blurted out "outdoor diesel engines", then looked down at the floor for a few seconds. First, WTF made him blurt out "outdoor diesel engines" as the most important keyword in reference to his environmental policies? Then why did he have to stop and "think" for about three seconds before explaining where that came from?

Then, in the middle of his supreme court answer, he similarly blurted out "Dred Scott". Double WTF? Where the hell did that come from? It took him even longer this time before he started to explain what he meant. But he did such a poor job that I'm not sure who looked more confused at the end of it, him or me.
post #28 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by giant

http://www.canofun.com/blog/videos/B...TheOddSync.wmv

And this isn't even what got me thinking about it. It was something I read someone say somewhere.

What was up with John King at the end of that clip (off topic)? He shakes his head in a pissed off manner. Strange clip all around.

But yeah I'm curious about that Bush audio glitch. How was it even caught on tape? Any sites that discuss this?
post #29 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Towel
He started his answer to the environmental question so bizzarly. He blurted out "outdoor diesel engines", then looked down at the floor for a few seconds. First, WTF made him blurt out "outdoor diesel engines" as the most important keyword in reference to his environmental policies? Then why did he have to stop and "think" for about three seconds before explaining where that came from?

Well, I think it was important for him to draw a clear distinction between diesel engines that we use outside and the hundreds of kinds of diesel engines the average American household keeps indoors.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #30 of 85
I think he said "off road" not "outdoor". Here in Texas lots of folks have off road diesel engines.
post #31 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
What was up with John King at the end of that clip (off topic)? He shakes his head in a pissed off manner. Strange clip all around.

But yeah I'm curious about that Bush audio glitch. How was it even caught on tape? Any sites that discuss this?

seems more like a CNN glitch to me. probably mixed up audio feeds and that would explain the delay.
post #32 of 85
The problem is that the two voices don't say the same thing.

Personally, I was skeptical about it, and still very much am, just not as much as I was previously.
post #33 of 85
Quote:
I think he said "off road" not "outdoor". Here in Texas lots of folks have off road diesel engines.

Ah, you're correct. I just checked the NY Times transcript.
post #34 of 85
This thing is hilarious. It's was actually on the news over here in Norway.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #35 of 85
Alright. I'm going to post this here because the thread in the other Apple forum got locked.

I work at CNN and was told by my assistant art director that Bush was going to be wearing a wire that night at the debate. This was probably 6 hours before the debate. He was told by a woman who was working close to the whole thing in Miami. I don't know if she's a producer or what, but I can find out tomorrow.

What pissed me off is that too many things are dismissed as a conspiracy. It seems more and more the Bush Administration can do whatever the f*ck they want and just laugh it off as some crazy idea made up by "internet conspiracy theorists". I just hope people close to this come out and say something.

It's getting more national attention. It was just mentioned on This Week with George Stephanopoulos. But once again pass of as conspiracy.

Also on CNN.com
post #36 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Akumulator
Alright. I'm going to post this here because the thread in the other Apple forum got locked.

I work at CNN and was told by my assistant art director that Bush was going to be wearing a wire that night at the debate. This was probably 6 hours before the debate. He was told by a woman who was working close to the whole thing in Miami. I don't know if she's a producer or what, but I can find out tomorrow.

What pissed me off is that too many things are dismissed as a conspiracy. It seems more and more the Bush Administration can do whatever the f*ck they want and just laugh it off as some crazy idea made up by "internet conspiracy theorists". I just hope people close to this come out and say something.

It's getting more national attention. It was just mentioned on This Week with George Stephanopoulos. But once again pass of as conspiracy.

Also on CNN.com

BBC are covering it now too.

This kind of stuff doesn't make the leap from blog to mainstream if there isn't some fire behind the smoke.
post #37 of 85
Yes it does. Bad posture and the sheer pressure from a winning Kerry is enough to make folders in Bush clothes like this.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #38 of 85
Quote:
uggestions that Bush may have using this technique stem from a D-day event in France, when a CNN broadcast appeared to pick up - and broadcast to surprised viewers - the sound of another voice seemingly reading Bush his lines, after which Bush repeated them. Danny Schechter, who operates the news site MediaChannel.org, and who has been doing some investigating into the wired-Bush rumors himself, said the Bush campaign has been worried of late about others picking up their radio frequencies - notably during the Republican Convention on the day of Bush's appearance. "They had a frequency specialist stop me and ask about the frequency of my camera," Schechter said. "The Democrats weren't doing that at their convention."

from the Guardian

Or maybe the anti-bush crowd has been learning the art of smearing from the republicans...
post #39 of 85
Aside from the humiliation, what else would come of this?
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #40 of 85
Quote:
Originally posted by Akumulator

It would be interesting to hear if you find out anything more.
Quote:

Yup. The absolute worst, however, was that this applied to anyone pointing to the UN inspection reports and noting the lack of WMD evidence. It really shows how much of a problem it is.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush's Earpiece!