or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "Liberal Media" to Air Anti-Kerry Film Days Before Election

"Liberal Media" to Air Anti-Kerry Film Days Before Election  

post #1 of 142
Forcing lies on network TV audiences to influence the election, of course.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-n...home-headlines

So, shouldn't they be required to air F911 as well?
post #2 of 142
Check this out:
Quote:
And who is the producer of this hit piece?

His name is Carlton Sherwood, and Disinfopedia has a full bio. Yes, he won a Pulitzer Prize in 1980 for a series on a fund-raising scandal in the Catholic Church but turned to the dark side when he went to work for the Moonie-owned Washington Times and and wrote a whitewash of the Unification Church. And here's the real scoop:
Quote:
Sherwood formerly worked for Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge, whom George W. Bush later appointed as the first Secretary of Homeland Security. The Bush administration has selected Sherwood to create and manage a new federal website aimed at first responders (police officers, firefighters, etc.). While working as a Ridge administration official, Sherwood directed then-Gov. Ridge's award-winning broadcast TV and radio operations in Harrisburg. He currently serves as executive vice president of the WVC3 Group, an anti-terrorism, security firm headquartered in Reston, VA.

Karl Rove, take a bow. This is classic. The former minister of propaganda for the Homeland Security Secretary just happens to produce a right-wing hit piece that will run on TV in just about every swing state, days before the election.

As I wrote over at mathewgross.com, "I would gladly contribute to a fund that would buy 90 minutes of commercial time on a competing group of stations in the same markets and then get the rights to show Fahrenheit 9/11 at exactly the same time. Somehow I think Michael Moore would cut us a good deal."

Atrios is on the case. So is Josh Marshall. Who wants to get in touch with Michael Moore and make this happen?

Update: Sherwood is a vice president of WVC3 (oddly, his name appears nowhere on the shadowy WVC3 Web site, but see the bio at the end of this book review or this one), a "consulting" company in Washington DC. The public face of WVC3 is Bill Cowan, a Fox News contributor who apparently has longstanding ties to the CIA and performed covert operations in Iraq in 1990. According to this interview with Frontline, he was a hands-on spook who also worked for the Pentagon in Beirut in the 1980s, investigating the 1983 Embassy bombing, among other jobs.

http://kirghizlight.blogspot.com/200...34606451996228
post #3 of 142
Wouldn't this be considered illegally funding a campaign?
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #4 of 142
CNN has two major on air personalities involved in the Kerry campaign and all of a sudden with this discovery it proves the media is not "liberal".

Mary Mapes is the norm in the media.
post #5 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
CNN has two major on air personalities involved in the Kerry campaign and all of a sudden with this discovery it proves the media is not "liberal".

Mary Mapes is the norm in the media.

Who isn't as important as what they report. I don't care if the pope is doing the broadcast if he has to read from someone else's script.
post #6 of 142
A former FCC chairman speaks out:
Quote:
Dear sirs:

I'm told you were involved in a decision to order Sinclair stations to carry anti-Kerry propaganda. If my information is false, please forgive this intrusion. While I do not believe you should be required to carry pro-Kerry content, except of course for an even-handed sale of your advertising time to both campaigns, I do wish to register my objection and concern if in fact you have obliged your stations to carry anti-Kerry propaganda.

I assure you that if you were carrying anti-Bush propaganda I would be equally concerned.

The problem is this: How can it be part of a broadcaster's public interest obligation to aspire to alter the perceptions of the audience about a presidential candidate by showing biased content that in no way reflects either breaking news or even-handed treatment of the issues? Why should a broadcaster keep its licenses if it behaves in this manner? I hope you will reconsider your edict -- unless, of course, I am misinformed, in which case I do hope you forgive this message.

-- Reed Hundt
post #7 of 142
Let Sinclair air their hit piece. Provided "Fahrenheit 9/11" gets equal, uninterrupted, air time.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #8 of 142
sinclair got some notoriety earlier this year from the daily show and others when they refused to air nightline's reading of the names of the dead in iraq. they also require all of their affiliate's news broadcasts to end with the line "we stand with our president 100%."

this is nto new from sinclair. but i do hope there's a special place in hell for anyone at the top authorize this steaming pile without at least giving 90 minutes to the opposite viewpoint.

reminds me of my local video store chain. every copy of farhenheit 911 is bookended by several pro-bush "documentaries" and a documentary covering the "lies" of michael moore. i was kinda stunned by that, but then again, not surprised in the least. can't wait for the local christian coalition to protest outside blockbuster for renting the movie.

whatever. all i know is a dozen friends of a friend in north carolina registered to vote last week in utter anger over bush and his administration. these are first-time, never-cared-about-politics-before voters, people. and i doubt they're alone.

and hey, maybe it'll end up backfiring on sinclair, making people even angrier that sinclair and their ilk would air such tripe. god knows republicans would be marching in the streets if, say, viacom or someone aired f-911 in primetime without commercials.

edit: by the way, sinclair broadcast group has placed a comment on their website, stating that the documentary has not even been filmed yet, and any comments on it or its contents are unsubstantiated. of course, this would hold a little more water had they not pulled their nightline stunt earlier int he year.

they encourage comments to them. i say, screw that - i reckon they have one big fat spam filter waiting for those comments. no, if you have a problem with this, e-mail EVERY ONE OF THEIR ADVERTISERS AND AFFILIATE NETWORKS. when you fight the big companies, there's only one place to target for maximum effect: the wallet. trust me, they'll rethink their stance when they start getting letters from those advertisers...
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #9 of 142
Is there any movement to boycott the all of the Sinclair stations which plan to air this anti-Kerry propaganda? If not, there should be. A boycott that continues until either Sinclair cancels the broadcast, or provides free equal time for a pro-Kerry or anti-Bush program.

If I can't find such a boycott, I'll be happy to do what I can to start one.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #10 of 142
There is indeed a boycott movement that has started:

http://www.boycottsbg.com/

In addition to the Sinclair stations themselves, there's also a link to a list of companies who advertise on Sinclair, along with contact e-mail addresses, so that you can tell these companies that you'll boycott their products until either Sinclair mends its ways, or until they refuse to advertise on Sinclair stations:

http://www.boycottsbg.com/advertisers/default.aspx
post #11 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
There is indeed a boycott movement that has started:

http://www.boycottsbg.com/

In addition to the Sinclair stations themselves, there's also a link to a list of companies who advertise on Sinclair, along with contact e-mail addresses, so that you can tell these companies that you'll boycott their products until either Sinclair mends its ways, or until they refuse to advertise on Sinclair stations:

http://www.boycottsbg.com/advertisers/default.aspx

Seems a bit extreme considering the pass that CBS got.

Oh well. I don't know why they would run it unless they think there is enough interest in the subject.

Who knows.
post #12 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Seems a bit extreme considering the pass that CBS got.

Oh well. I don't know why they would run it unless they think there is enough interest in the subject.

Who knows.

i'm not sure cbs is getting such a pass, considering the black eye that 60 minutes now has, rather's career kinda out the window for a while, and how bob schieffer (sp?) said basically their entire news division has lost a lot of credibility over this. but then again, you're right, people aren't rioting in the streets, either.

i think the point is that, time and again, people are shocked when it suddenly dawns on them how having media controlled by a select few is a VERY BAD THING. which network was it that tried to blacklist the dixie chicks? was that clear channel? basically, we've let this happen, and explained it off as "oh well, bigger company x bought smaller company y and all their assets and distribution channels. but who cares? it's the way america works!"

and of course, those big controlling companies don't make decisions based off the common welfare, but the highest profit. period. so you never, ever get the full truth from anyone. that should scare EVERYone.

re: why they'd do it... you're right, who knows? i can say from a little guy's p.o.v., it seems like there's someone batshit f'n loco at the top who loves the current administration and will do everythign in their billioaire power to keep it that way. but i'm pretty far down the foodchain to have anythign but an uneducated guess.

post #13 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
i'm not sure cbs is getting such a pass, considering the black eye that 60 minutes now has, rather's career kinda out the window for a while, and how bob schieffer (sp?) said basically their entire news division has lost a lot of credibility over this. but then again, you're right, people aren't rioting in the streets, either.

i think the point is that, time and again, people are shocked when it suddenly dawns on them how having media controlled by a select few is a VERY BAD THING. which network was it that tried to blacklist the dixie chicks? was that clear channel? basically, we've let this happen, and explained it off as "oh well, bigger company x bought smaller company y and all their assets and distribution channels. but who cares? it's the way america works!"

and of course, those big controlling companies don't make decisions based off the common welfare, but the highest profit. period. so you never, ever get the full truth from anyone. that should scare EVERYone.

re: why they'd do it... you're right, who knows? i can say from a little guy's p.o.v., it seems like there's someone batshit f'n loco at the top who loves the current administration and will do everythign in their billioaire power to keep it that way. but i'm pretty far down the foodchain to have anythign but an uneducated guess.

Or could it be that there are so many questions left unanswered or open by Kerry himself that there may be enough interest to make it profitable to air it?

I mean the reality is that you can't get a consistent answer from the Kerry camp. Is it possible that a third party is needed to tell the story believably?
post #14 of 142
Quote:
Or could it be that there are so many questions left unanswered or open by Kerry himself that there may be enough interest to make it profitable to air it?

I mean the reality is that you can't get a consistent answer from the Kerry camp. Is it possible that a third party is needed to tell the story believably?

can... feel ... myself ... being... baited.... must resist....

post #15 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by rok

No baiting, just seems that he has left himself open to attack by being so shifty on the facts. He has also made an issue of Vietnam when he doesn't want to be crystal clear on said issue.

Sure his base will swallow it but anyone else is going to question it and want some hard facts or at least a cogent explanation.

He won't even release his military records. Seems to be expecting all to just ignore any questions.

Couldn't he just put it to rest by signing the release form for the military and have a candid press conference? Then we all could be rid of the whole thing.
post #16 of 142
Quote:
No baiting, just seems that he has left himself open to attack by being so shifty on the facts.

This is an assinine response. If you can't admit that both sides deserve this type of criticism right before the election then you're a bold faced liar.
post #17 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by rok

Why must you feel baited by nonsensical BS? Just accept if as part of an imperfect world and move on.
post #18 of 142
Quote:
No baiting, just seems that he has left himself open to attack by being so shifty on the facts.

Agreed.

Quote:
Sure his base will swallow it but anyone else is going to question it and want some hard facts or at least a cogent explanation.

Agreed.

Quote:
He won't even release his military records. Seems to be expecting all to just ignore any questions.

Agreed.

Quote:
Couldn't he just put it to rest by signing the release form for the military and have a candid press conference? Then we all could be rid of the whole thing.

Agreed.
Er... oh wait... you were talking about Kerry?
I was talking about Bush.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #19 of 142
All things being equal, I would oppose Sinclair's move to show the film. However, all things are not equal.

The media has attacked Bush relentlessly. It has played up bad or even neutral news for months as catastrophic. A prime example is the jobs figure from last Friday. The number was at least roughly in line with expectations (98,000 vs. 120,000) CNN.com and others played up the "less than expected" angle all day. That's much worse than a hit piece, because the story is proported to be impartial when it actually isn't. Subtle media bias is the worst kind.

We've also seen Democratic 527's, who have more subtantial links to their party than do their Republican counterparts, attack Bush mericilessly. While Carville and company run around screaming the Swift Boats are a Bush front group and are spewing lies, the Media Fund, ACT and MoveOn.org are outspending them by a considerable margin. Republicans cannot compete with the number of these groups and their funding.

Democrats have played dirty from day one of this campaign. In fact, Democrats have always been better at the street warfare tactics of politics than Republicans have. From Gore personally ordering the last second DUI story on Bush, to last second voter registration through bussing to the polls, to handing out cigarettes, to conspiring with a billionare to defeat the President, the Democrats know how to play dirty. Look at the canvassing boards in Florida in 2000. Many of the disputed counties were controlled by Democrats. And somehow it was a Republican conspiracy to steal the election?

The double standard here is amazing. Democrats can be tied to countless 527s, accept millions from "the rich", play host to Michael Moore and his lie-filled sack of movie, make statements that are racist (Senator Byrd anyone?)...and get a free pass every time. Meanwhile, Republican's statements are pounced on by the media at every opportunity. Republicans are tools of the rich, racist, war mongers, facists and sexists.

Things are not equal. Sinclair should air whatever it wants.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #20 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
This is an assinine response. If you can't admit that both sides deserve this type of criticism right before the election then you're a bold faced liar.

Stop with the name calling, already.

This thread is about Kerry, no? Am I allowed to post here, if I so choose?

Have you EVER heard me say (more precisely, read any post of mine) that one party or the other is NOT open to criticism?

I will answer for you to expedite the conversation: NO.

But once again, we are talking about Kerry in this thread, or do words no longer carry a specific meaning, so that Kerry means Bush?
post #21 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
All things being equal, I would oppose Sinclair's move to show the film. However, all things are not equal.

The media has attacked Bush relentlessly. It has played up bad or even neutral news for months as catastrophic. A prime example is the jobs figure from last Friday. The number was at least roughly in line with expectations (98,000 vs. 120,000) CNN.com and others played up the "less than expected" angle all day. That's much worse than a hit piece, because the story is proported to be impartial when it actually isn't. Subtle media bias is the worst kind.

We've also seen Democratic 527's, who have more subtantial links to their party than do their Republican counterparts, attack Bush mericilessly. While Carville and company run around screaming the Swift Boats are a Bush front group and are spewing lies, the Media Fund, ACT and MoveOn.org are outspending them by a considerable margin. Republicans cannot compete with the number of these groups and their funding.

Democrats have played dirty from day one of this campaign. In fact, Democrats have always been better at the street warfare tactics of politics than Republicans have. From Gore personally ordering the last second DUI story on Bush, to last second voter registration through bussing to the polls, to handing out cigarettes, to conspiring with a billionare to defeat the President, the Democrats know how to play dirty. Look at the canvassing boards in Florida in 2000. Many of the disputed counties were controlled by Democrats. And somehow it was a Republican conspiracy to steal the election?

The double standard here is amazing. Democrats can be tied to countless 527s, accept millions from "the rich", play host to Michael Moore and his lie-filled sack of movie, make statements that are racist (Senator Byrd anyone?)...and get a free pass every time. Meanwhile, Republican's statements are pounced on by the media at every opportunity. Republicans are tools of the rich, racist, war mongers, facists and sexists.

Things are not equal. Sinclair should air whatever it wants.

Just to accentuate what SDW said:

Scientific analysis of the political coverage by the media:

http://www.mediatenor.com/index1.html

It is pretty sad.
post #22 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.
Er... oh wait... you were talking about Kerry?
I was talking about Bush.

Bush has done exactly what I outlined. Are you behind in your reading?
post #23 of 142
Could you possibly be more FOS, naples? The chart is just regarding commentary on the first debate, where Bush was a bumbling fool. Take it down or alter your post so that it's not deliberately misleading as it is now.

BTW: Check out that Bush bias @ CNN.
post #24 of 142
Sinclair VP says the networks' treatment of swift liars are "like Holocaust deniers."

link
post #25 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Sinclair VP says the networks' treatment of swift liars are "like Holocaust deniers."

link

Go away, small minded one.

You are such an ass. I provided a link to their site so that, if you are interested you could explore what they do.

Talk about knee-jerk syndrome.
post #26 of 142
Quote:
Go away, small minded one.

You are such an ass. I provided a link to their site so that, if you are interested you could explore what they do.

Talk about knee-jerk syndrome.

Hey, Naples...they're his statements. Who's small minded here?

The verbatim quote from Sinclair's Mark Hyman, from this morning on CNN ...

Quote:
However, the accusations coming from Terry McAuliffe and others, is it because they are some elements of this that may reflect poorly on John Kerry? That it's somehow an in-kind contribution of George Bush?

If you use that logic and reasoning, that means every car bomb in Iraq would be an in-kind contribution to John Kerry. Weak job performance ratings that came out last month would have been an in- kind contribution to John Kerry. And that's just nonsense.

This is news. I can't change the fact that these people decided to come forward today. The networks had this opportunity over a month ago to speak with these people. They chose to suppress them. They chose to ignore them. They are acting like Holocaust deniers, pretending these men don't exist.

Reporting unemployment statistics is the same as running free commercials from rabid partisans. See where we're going with this?

Pigs ...
post #27 of 142
Naples, your deceptive post has still not been fixed. The graph is an analysis of the opinions of panels following the first debate.

Lashing out at me doesn't do you any good.
post #28 of 142
Again, let Sinclair run their Swift Boat Liars and POW Liars hour long political ad. I don't even care if it is considered an illegal corporate campaign contribution.

Let CBS run "Fahrenheit 9/11" uninterrupted the following night.
post #29 of 142
Naples has about as much chance of changing his dishonest post as Bush has of changing his dishonest war.

Birds of a feather.

Some people just don't believe that lying is wrong. They just don't believe so.
post #30 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
A prime example is the jobs figure from last Friday. The number was at least roughly in line with expectations (98,000 vs. 120,000) CNN.com and others played up the "less than expected" angle all day. That's much worse than a hit piece, because the story is proported to be impartial when it actually isn't. Subtle media bias is the worst kind.

I agree 100%. If the media weren't so biased, they would be honestly reporting such tepid jobs growth so far into a recovery as the genuinely bad news it is. They would be reporting that jobs growth hasn't even kept up with population growth since the recovery began, to say nothing of the failure to make up for job losses before and during the actual recession. They would point out that much of the job growth that is happening is in the public sector, at all levels of government. They would be emphasizing that healthy jobs growth would average about 300k per month, and that the economists' expectation of 150k is already rather pessimistic.

But alas, the media all feels a need to be "fair and balanced" before being objective.
post #31 of 142
Here's an online petition at democrats.org that you can sign to protest against Sinclair:

http://www.democrats.org/action/200410120001.html

And here's a list of the Sinclair affiliates that you can to voice your protest:

http://www.democrats.org/sinclair/index.html#states
post #32 of 142
I find it amazing that so many here endorse censorship.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #33 of 142
Quote:
Bush has done exactly what I outlined. Are you behind in your reading?

I agree that Bush has done everything you accused Kerry of, vis a vis military records.

Prove otherwise, with links to something besides right-wing tinfoil toupee sites, please...
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #34 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Could you possibly be more FOS, naples? The chart is just regarding commentary on the first debate, where Bush was a bumbling fool. Take it down or alter your post so that it's not deliberately misleading as it is now.

BTW: Check out that Bush bias @ CNN.

So what...you guys aren't smart enough to figure out what it is?
post #35 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman

I find it amazing how many people don't understand what censorship is.

Protesting misuse of public airwaves for partisan purposes in not censorship. Refusing to buy milk at the local 7-11 because they sell Playboy is not censorship. And -- a reminder often needed in internet forums -- using your own freedom of expression to criticize what someone else has expressed is not censorship either.
post #36 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Some people just don't believe that lying is wrong. They just don't believe so.

Clearly you are right.
post #37 of 142
Quote:

Nick

You have wierd definition of censorship, trump. Here we have a Media-group dictating that all of their channels have to show this crap, I mean self-produced political content. While they themselves have been censoring other political content on several occasions...

This is how things used to work in Soviet and Nazi-Germany... Good luck....
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #38 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
I find it amazing how many people don't understand what censorship is.

Protesting misuse of public airwaves for partisan purposes in not censorship. Refusing to buy milk at the local 7-11 because they sell Playboy is not censorship. And -- a reminder often needed in internet forums -- using your own freedom of expression to criticize what someone else has expressed is not censorship either.

I've not said that protesting this is censorshi. I'm saying not allowing it to be played on the channels IS censorship.

If you declared that Playboy couldn't be printed on the presses that they own, that is advocating censorship. People here are declaring that this program shouldn't be run by the group that leases the airwaves and owns the channels.

Nick

post #39 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New
You have wierd definition of censorship, trump. Here we have a Media-group dictating that all of their channels have to show this crap, I mean self-produced political content. While they themselves have been censoring other political content on several occasions...

This is how things used to work in Soviet and Nazi-Germany... Good luck....

You have a strange definition of ownership. This "media-group" owns the respective stations that will be showing the broadcast. How do you "dictate" to what you already own?

Do you dictate your car to drive you to work?

Do you dictate to your brush to clean your teeth?

You must be dizzy from the spin.

Nick

post #40 of 142
Quote:

Do you dictate your car to drive you to work?

Do you dictate to your brush to clean your teeth?

yes, makes me feel important.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "Liberal Media" to Air Anti-Kerry Film Days Before Election