or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "Liberal Media" to Air Anti-Kerry Film Days Before Election

"Liberal Media" to Air Anti-Kerry Film Days Before Election - Page 3  

post #81 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
I'll sum your entire post up: "Live in constant fear of censorship."

In this respect you are wrong I'm sorry to inform you. Not allowing a decidedly partisan media conglomerate to air untruths about a candidate days before an election is not censorship. Sinclair should not have the right to attempt to swing an election in such a manner using public air ways which are given to these broadcasters for free providing the broadcasters adhere to certain rules. Is fining CBS for showing a funky titty not censorship? In this regard what Sinclair is trying to do is more egregious that the brief shot of an obscure boob. Sinclair is using public interests to soap box it's message. Nothing is stopping these guys from using the same outlets available to you and me trump. What people are trying to do is to stop this partisan hack job from occurring on airwaves which belong to you and me. Sinclair agreed to abide by certain rules when entrusted with their broadcasting license. Simply because Sinclair has the short-term rights to certain frequencies does not mean they own those frequencies. Not air this trash is not censorship. Telling individuals who work at sinclair to not publish books would be because publishers are not public interest companies. Telling individuals at Sinclair to not speak their feelings in the same venues available to common man (not the troll here at AO either) would be.

I know you'll disregard everything I just typed because it clashes with your view that all things pro-Bush anti-Kerry should be allowed while the converse is not true to you.

Enjoy your fantasy world. Good day.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #82 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
The double standard is quite amusing. CBS runs "news." The "news" consists of some fake memos given by an anonymous source never involved in the events in any manner. They are attempting to confirm a story they believe to already be true. (That was Rather's own justification)

Along the way they ignore their own experts, misrepresent the papers to parties involved, etc. The never issue a retraction.

The POW/SwiftVets features a bunch of folks giving their FIRST PERSON account of the actual events. The first person events are "propaganda" and the CBS story is "news."

Nick

For a moment I thought you was talking about the "proof" of WoMDs [/cheapshot]

So you want CBS to come up with some fake news that Kerry was sleeping around with Ted Turners former wife?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #83 of 142
ok, trump wants the media to be used by big-business for personal gain. If you don't see that this has dangerous implications for "public-broadcasting", then that's just to bad.

Concerning the business side of it. Which is more "universal" in it princibles. I find it quite laughable that you actually think using ones business to advance personal political agendas is ok. I would have though you as had some "business-standards"...
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #84 of 142
Quote:
I take clear issue with this...

And I would care about your illusions why???

Get a life and, for the 1000th time, stop responding to my posts. You've spent months making it abundantly clear you can't do so without turning into a total fucking psycho.
post #85 of 142
Stand clear of eachother now!
post #86 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
For a moment I thought you was talking about the "proof" of WoMDs [/cheapshot]

So you want CBS to come up with some fake news that Kerry was sleeping around with Ted Turners former wife?

No I don't want first hand accounts of prisoners of war to be called propaganda.

It is very sad that people like some in here complain that these men can't "get over" Vietnam. They were called baby killers and murderers when they came home from the war because of what John Kerry and others alleged about them.

Now they still try to set the record straight with their own memories and their own words and it is called propaganda.

Very sad.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #87 of 142
Trumpetman. Come one. Kerry didn't call any of those people in the documentary war criminals. He referred to reports of war crimes and atrocities that took place. He never said ALL Vietnam soldiers did them.

And this so called "documentary" is nothing more than a 90 minute political at made by the same swift boat vets that made the now famous Swift Boat Vets for Truth ads.

Some people I'm afraid want Bush to win so bad that they blindly overlook the obvious.
post #88 of 142
I don't know how it works in the US; I can only say how it works in Switzerland.

The media here obeis to some jounalistic principles. One of them is, a story has to be based on facts. Before publishing a story, you should check the facts.

Another principle is to listen for both sides. If person A accuses person B of something, you're free to bring the story. But you should give person B a chance to respond to the accusations.

This is obviously not the case here. Therefore, I strongly disagree with Sinclair. They don't give Kerry the chance to respond. That's why it's not news, but propaganda.
post #89 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by Akumulator
Trumpetman. Come one. Kerry didn't call any of those people in the documentary war criminals. He referred to reports of war crimes and atrocities that took place. He never said ALL Vietnam soldiers did them.

And this so called "documentary" is nothing more than a 90 minute political at made by the same swift boat vets that made the now famous Swift Boat Vets for Truth ads.

Some people I'm afraid want Bush to win so bad that they blindly overlook the obvious.

Here let me pull out that old leftie standby that were used to justify Moore, Franken and so many others.... did you see it yet? How do you know? How can you judge it until you see it?

Now that I've had my little fun there, let me ask you legitimately, have you had a look at the excepts on the website? Perhaps you should and then your knee won't hurt from jerking it. Also it isn't made by just the SwiftVets. They have combined with another group POW's for Truth. Also there are people in this piece that do indeed claim that Kerry personally involved them. One talks about how his mother was mislead into testifying on matters and making claims, claims that were shown to him from newspapers while he was IN an actualy POW camp. Look and listen to, at a minimum, all the excepts provided before you go making blanket judgements.

As for who he claimed did them. When you claim there are thousands of war crimes known and endorsed at all levels of command, you are comdemning the organization as a whole. Heck John Kerry himself claimed that the atrocities were so wide spread that even HE committed them. (read my sig)

Nick

post #90 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by durin oakenskin
I don't know how it works in the US; I can only say how it works in Switzerland.

The media here obeis to some jounalistic principles. One of them is, a story has to be based on facts. Before publishing a story, you should check the facts.

Another principle is to listen for both sides. If person A accuses person B of something, you're free to bring the story. But you should give person B a chance to respond to the accusations.

This is obviously not the case here. Therefore, I strongly disagree with Sinclair. They don't give Kerry the chance to respond. That's why it's not news, but propaganda.

Actually this obviously IS the case here. The group that has made this piece are the actual first hand people who were held prisoner of war during the Vietnam war. They give their first hand accounts along with dates, times and places named. Additionally time has been offered for Kerry to meet, respond to, or address any and all claims.

Nick

post #91 of 142
I can't believe you have the exact quote from John Kerry in your sig, but can't see throught the shit in your eyes. It's says in plain english "and ordered to use". Are you even surprised that atrocities even happened? I thought it was common knowlege that all that shit went down in Vietnam.

Also, yes the Swift boat vet joined with the POWs for truth... they're still the SWIFT BOAT VETS WHO MADE THE ADS. What difference does it make that they joined with another group? You think that they're now watered down?

Excerpts don't amount to anything. How many times have I seen movies where the trailer came off as a completely better movie? You argument is bunk. Media Matters has seen the film. "But MMFA has viewed Stolen Honor and can confirm that it is filled with lies and smears against Senator John Kerry."

The very simple fact that the Swift boat vets for truth help create this alone says what it is.

Regardless of whether this runs or not, I still think Kerry is going to win this election. The GOP can try all the dirty trick in the book to try to once again steal the election but this time it's not going to work. Sorry Trumpetman, in two weeks.. I'm seeing a landslide.
post #92 of 142
Quote:
Actually this obviously IS the case here. The group that has made this piece are the actual first hand people who were held prisoner of war during the Vietnam war. They give their first hand accounts along with dates, times and places named. Additionally time has been offered for Kerry to meet, respond to, or address any and all claims.

Nick

And 62 channels are "ordered" to air it... "Journalistic principles" indeed. I wonder how the news editors at these channels feel? - If they have any integrity left at all...
post #93 of 142
Moore just offered the Sinclair Group the posibility to air 9/11 for free.
post #94 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New

That would be stupid to air a disney movie in rebuttal to a documentary.

Moore is Walt Disney.
post #95 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
That would be stupid to air a disney movie in rebuttal to a documentary.

Moore is Walt Disney.

How do you know it's a documentary? It's being air as news.
post #96 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New
And 62 channels are "ordered" to air it... "Journalistic principles" indeed. I wonder how the news editors at these channels feel? - If they have any integrity left at all...

Ordered to air is the leftist spin. They own the stations and can air what they want. I don't "order" my Jeep to drive me to work and home. It does so by virtue of the fact that I own it and do as I wish with it.

My renters are not "ordered" to follow their rental agreements. The properties are mine and if they no longer wish to use them, they can go else where if they don't like my lease and terms.

Nick

post #97 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New
How do you know it's a documentary? It's being air as news.

Either way, Moore's movie is neither news nor a documentary.
post #98 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New

I hope they grab it. It would likely do more harm than good for Kerry.

I'm all for Sinclair airing whatever they want. If Moore will give them 9/11 to run for free, I hope they jump on it.

Nick

post #99 of 142
Quote:
Ordered to air is the leftist spin. They own the stations and can air what they want. I don't "order" my Jeep to drive me to work and home. It does so by virtue of the fact that I own it and do as I wish with it.

My renters are not "ordered" to follow their rental agreements. The properties are mine and if they no longer wish to use them, they can go else where if they don't like my lease and terms.

Stop talking about your jeep. I don't care about your stupid jeep. You don't have several levels of executives and news editors between you and your jeep do you?

So does this follow "good journalistic principles" or not?
(Try to answer without mentioning your jeep...)

Quote:

If your lease terms ordered all your tenants to have a poster of Reagan on the wall, and you aired old Nixon speeches on your buildings intercom repeatedly, maybe they would...
Somehow I feel even you would consider that a bad business-decision.
post #100 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Either way, Moore's movie is neither news nor a documentary.

Then it should fit perfectly... don't you agreee?
post #101 of 142
Is there any non-political precedent for this sort of thing? I thought only networks decided on content for a large number of stations. Are there any other examples of a station-owner pushing simultaneous content for all their stations, regardless of affiliation? Even a Sunday afternoon movie, or a late-night syndicated schedule?
post #102 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New
Stop talking about your jeep. I don't care about your stupid jeep. You don't have several levels of executives and news editors between you and your jeep do you?

So does this follow "good journalistic principles" or not?
(Try to answer without mentioning your jeep...)

My Jeep doesn't care about you either. I asked it about you and it told me to tell you to sod off.

Now you are also trying to change the subject. I keep pointing out that you don't order that which you already own. They you go off into "journalistic principles" land. I don't have to believe the Times or even CBS News to be organizations of journalistic principle to believe that they are allowed to air what they want on their stations. I've already stated that if it turns out to be slander, then let them get sued.

Quote:
If your lease terms ordered all your tenants to have a poster of Reagan on the wall, and you aired old Nixon speeches on your buildings intercom repeatedly, maybe they would...
Somehow I feel even you would consider that a bad business-decision. [/B]

My lease does state that they aren't allowed to make improvements without permission. They aren't allowed to paint walls or put up borders, etc.

But then again you still have it backwards. To be in the place of the renter with a television station, you would have to be a viewer. If you as a viewer don't care to see or hear what is being played, simply change the channel. To make your example more like the station, I would have to order myself, or the employees I use to say use a certain color of paint.

Nick

post #103 of 142
Quote:
But then again you still have it backwards. To be in the place of the renter with a television station, you would have to be a viewer. If you as a viewer don't care to see or hear what is being played, simply change the channel. To make your example more like the station, I would have to order myself, or the employees I use to say use a certain color of paint.

Nick

The government leases to television broadcasters the right to broadcast on a particular section of the airwaves. Landlords lease to tenants the right to live in a particularly place of shelter. The "renter" is the television broadcaster because it "rents" the various frequencies (or however that process works). That's the correct analogy. If you have any confusion about how that works, please feel free to ask.
post #104 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
The government leases to television broadcasters the right to broadcast on a particular section of the airwaves. Landlords lease to tenants the right to live in a particularly place of shelter. The "renter" is the television broadcaster because it "rents" the various frequencies (or however that process works). That's the correct analogy. If you have any confusion about how that works, please feel free to ask.

Your looping the thread back upon itself.

I already asked which provision of the broadcast "lease" was being violated. No one, including yourself could state what rule was being violated.

Perhaps you should go back and look at the second page of this thread. All of this was already discussed with full understanding. You were even one of the parties.

Don't worry Shawn. I'll support stem cell research to help you with your... condition. Just let me get some video now so I can compare your speech patterns ten years from now.

Nick

post #105 of 142
Quote:
Your looping the thread back upon itself.

I already asked which provision of the broadcast "lease" was being violated. No one, including yourself could state what rule was being violated.

Perhaps you should go back and look at the second page of this thread. All of this was already discussed with full understanding. You were even one of the parties.

Don't worry Shawn. I'll support stem cell research to help you with your... condition. Just let me get some video now so I can compare your speech patterns ten years from now.

Nick

Well, the reason you're asking that question is that you've successfully derailed this thread from the subject of campaign finance law.

Moore's film is every ounce as much "news" as "Stolen Honor" is.

That's what the subject of this thread is.
post #106 of 142
You had to go on about your jeep hadn't you...
Ordered or not, play with the words all you like, as long as the sinclair executives don't put the video tapes in the video players themselves, some instructions have to be issued.
It's not like television stations come with staring-wheels, in case you didn't know. In this case I think "ordered" or "directed" would be a proper term. But since you obviously can't handle these, let's just call it "instructed" then...

They instructed their channels to air this shit. It's bad journalistics. And bad business. Even if you're a fan.

and you have at least one former FCC Chairman questioning if this is a breach of the license rules.
post #107 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New
You had to go on about your jeep hadn't you...
Ordered or not, play with the words all you like, as long as the sinclair executives don't put the video tapes in the video players themselves, some instructions have to be issued.
It's not like television stations come with staring-wheels, in case you didn't know. In this case I think "ordered" or "directed" would be a proper term. But since you obviously can't handle these, let's just call it "instructed" then...

They instructed their channels to air this shit. It's bad journalistics. And bad business. Even if you're a fan.

and you have at least one former FCC Chairman questioning if this is a breach of the license rules.

If it's bad business, then they'll pay appropriately and avoid taking such a loss in the future. But if anything Moore, Franken and others have shown it to be very good business.

Nick

post #108 of 142
Quote:
If it's bad business, then they'll pay appropriately and avoid taking such a loss in the future. But if anything Moore, Franken and others have shown it to be very good business.

Nick

Moore or Franken does not have networks of over 60 channels that they make air propaganda instead of real news...
post #109 of 142
Quote:
The DC Bureau chief of Sinclair Broadcasting, Jon Lieberman, is denouncing his employer's plan to air an hourlong, unpaid Swift Boat ad later this week, according to the Baltimore Sun.

"It's biased political propaganda, with clear intentions to sway this election ... For me, it's not about right or left -- it's about what's right or wrong in news coverage this close to an election."

Sinclair News VP Joe DeFeo has told Lieberman he risks being canned for speaking out and refusing to participate in the presentation of the 'documentary.'

TPM
post #110 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Well, the reason you're asking that question is that you've successfully derailed this thread from the subject of campaign finance law.

Moore's film is every ounce as much "news" as "Stolen Honor" is.

That's what the subject of this thread is.

Then you'll also note that I said if Moore offered F-9/11 for free that I hoped Sinclair would jump on it and show it.

Nick

post #111 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New
Moore or Franken does not have networks of over 60 channels that they make air propaganda instead of real news...

Sinclair doesn't own the roughly 2000 theaters that F9/11 was shown at either.

Next...

Nick

post #112 of 142
Quote:
Sinclair doesn't own the roughly 2000 theaters that F9/11 was shown at either.

Next...

Nick

F9/11 wasn't shown a week before the election either? Plus you have to actually drive to a location, buy a ticket and watch a presentation -- you are a willing participant. That's very different than having a smear-campaign broadcast into your home, commercial free, using public airways.

You know this. You're just arguing Sinclair's case for the sake of arguing. Even I can't think you would condone this.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #113 of 142
Vet Sues Sinclair, film producer:
Quote:
Kenneth Campbell, who is now a professor at the University of Delaware, said the film falsely calls him a fraud and a liar.

In the suit, Campbell says the documentary, titled "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," combines footage of him appearing at a 1971 war protest with narration that claims that many of the supposed veterans who took part in the event were later "discovered as frauds" who "never set foot on the battlefield, or left the comfort of the States, or even served in uniform."

The suit says viewers would be left with the perception that Campbell had lied about his military service.

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3828484/detail.html
post #114 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Quote:
The DC Bureau chief of Sinclair Broadcasting, Jon Lieberman, is denouncing his employer's plan to air an hourlong, unpaid Swift Boat ad later this week, according to the Baltimore Sun.

"It's biased political propaganda, with clear intentions to sway this election ... For me, it's not about right or left -- it's about what's right or wrong in news coverage this close to an election."

Sinclair News VP Joe DeFeo has told Lieberman he risks being canned for speaking out and refusing to participate in the presentation of the 'documentary.'

TPM

BTW, this also shows that there are probably a lot of other people in the company that don't agree with this step but are keeping quiet because of fear for their jobs.
post #115 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
F9/11 wasn't shown a week before the election either? Plus you have to actually drive to a location, buy a ticket and watch a presentation -- you are a willing participant. That's very different than having a smear-campaign broadcast into your home, commercial free, using public airways.

You know this. You're just arguing Sinclair's case for the sake of arguing. Even I can't think you would condone this.

I hate to tell you this, but you are a willing participant when watching a television show as well. No one is going to come into your house and tune your television to a specific channel. Also who chose the release date for Moore's film? Michael Moore.

God, the censorhip arguments here are just terrifying. If I claimed F9/11 couldn't be on television because my children might stumble across it, what the hell would that be but censorship? The same is true in reverse.

Nick

post #116 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
TPM

BTW, this also shows that there are probably a lot of other people in the company that don't agree with this step but are keeping quiet because of fear for their jobs. [/B][/QUOTE]

Or maybe there are plenty who did agree but they just focused on the one who didn't, while providing no alternative views or balance to the story.

Nick

post #117 of 142
Quote:
I hate to tell you this, but you are a willing participant when watching a television show as well. No one is going to come into your house and tune your television to a specific channel. Also who chose the release date for Moore's film? Michael Moore.

God, the censorhip arguments here are just terrifying. If I claimed F9/11 couldn't be on television because my children might stumble across it, what the hell would that be but censorship? The same is true in reverse.

Nick

I don't believe you.
post #118 of 142
Obviously Trumpt doesn't understand the role of a public broadcaster...
post #119 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
I don't believe you.

If you don't believe that you willfully watch television, AND you believe that people are coming to your house to change your channel for you, that is your belief and you are welcome to it.

Just don't expect it to convince others.

And don't forget to take your meds.

Nick

post #120 of 142
Quote:
Originally posted by New
Obviously Trumpt doesn't understand the role of a public broadcaster...

Obviously New doesn't understand that the public consists of more than people who agree with him.

Do you have any doubt that this would get good ratings?

Nick

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "Liberal Media" to Air Anti-Kerry Film Days Before Election