or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What does everyone think of me?

What does everyone think of me?

post #1 of 30
I think its good to take a reflective step from time to time, so I invite anyone to comment on what they think of, or perceive me to be. I won't take offense or request moderation. Be as honest as you like.
post #2 of 30
I think you're awfully tan.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #3 of 30
Your level of self importance is so high you want a thread to discuss yourself?
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot
I think you're awfully tan.

Actually, kind of orangish looking, depending on the lighting.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #5 of 30
You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You compensate with a strong need for other people to like you and for them to admire you. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. Disciplined and controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside. You often have serious doubts as to whether you have done the right thing or made the right decision. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety, and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You pride yourself as being an independent thinker and do not accept others opinions without satisfactory proof. You have found it unwise to be too honest in revealing yourself to others.
post #6 of 30
Hey, what does everyone think of ME? I'm feeling left out here.
post #7 of 30
I think your name is Marc and you are from the United Kingdom.

Yay!

Do I win a cookie?

No????

GODDAMN YOU MARC!!!!!!!

YOU AND YOUR GODDAMN SELF-CENTERED OMNIPRESENT SELF!!

WHY WONT YOU LEAVE ME ALONE...

oh, wait... that was god...

this message brought to you by........
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #8 of 30
Posting in PoliticalOutsider is hard work. I have much respect for you. It's hard work! Saddam would still be in power and the world would be a better place. Remember, it's hard work!
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You compensate with a strong need for other people to like you and for them to admire you. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. Disciplined and controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside. You often have serious doubts as to whether you have done the right thing or made the right decision. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety, and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You pride yourself as being an independent thinker and do not accept others opinions without satisfactory proof. You have found it unwise to be too honest in revealing yourself to others.

Brussel you sound like a professional
post #10 of 30
I think you shouldn't give a toss what people think - you're doing alright.

Here's a stanza of a poem for you from the great Arabist Sir Richard Burton (he who was the first white man to make the pilgrimage to Mecca and who at his height spoke 40 languages and dialects):

"Do what thy manhood bids thee do:
From none but self expect applause.
He noblest lives and noblest dies,
Who makes and keeps his self-made laws."

Keep the faith - you'll get there in the end.

I'll have the kettle on.

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #11 of 30
I think you're from the UK?
I really don't know enough about you yet to give any advice/criticisim...
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo

I think you're adorable popette, I am astounded by you're level of intelligence. I think you're parents have done a smashing job, I wish all the young 'uns round here could be thirteen going on thirty like you and I hope you end up being president one day and not Neo (pretending momentarily Neo is 14 - oops! 15 now). Now go give your mom a hug and tell her you love her.

MarcUK I think you're fine. You pissed me off when you were Anna Mated because I don't like people causing unnecessary trouble on the board. I wish you wouldn't pick on Fellowship because even though I don't agree with him on a lot of things, I think he's a gentle soul at heart and I have a soft spot for him.

But then I don't dislike anybody round here. I don't care what you believe as long as you're not hurting anybody else.

I think you may be developing an unhealthy obsession with segovius but fortunately that's seg's problem.

I'm confused as to why you're not developing an unhealthy obsession with Ra.

Ra ra ra, rack rack racka.

I, on the other hand, am joining hardeeharharsky in the ranks of the morbidly depressed.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #13 of 30
I´m pissed at you because you are blocking my view to the statue of liberty.

Naa you´re okay because you are quite balanced in your view, not extreme loop sided. But if its right that you are giving Fellowship a hard time then its a huge minus in my book. I hadn´t noticed that so this thread has actually been bad for my perception of you
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
astounded by you're level of intelligence

I'm astounded by your use of apostrophes.
post #15 of 30
Quote:
I'm astounded by your use of apostrophes.

I take it all back.

How very unlike me. And I did it twice! See what a mess I am.

Don't pick on me. I'm fragile.
post #16 of 30
I think you have demonstrated an unhealthy fascination with sun worship, so at the very least you need professional advice on a good sunscreen lotion.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #17 of 30
post #18 of 30
I think you're a wanker. A Man U fan no doubt.
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
I´m pissed at you because you are blocking my view to the statue of liberty.

Naa you´re okay because you are quite balanced in your view, not extreme loop sided. But if its right that you are giving Fellowship a hard time then its a huge minus in my book. I hadn´t noticed that so this thread has actually been bad for my perception of you

I'll Just say one thing at the moment re Fellowship.

Fellowship and I go back 3 or 4 years. I'm sure most of us know the story. It's clear we have polar opinions in some matters, We've also had a couple of disagreements as well, so the relationship is always going to be shaky at best. Its obvious that a few months ago I clearly went for Fellowship, and I do not apologize (for the principle) or regret that at all. I might also tease him a bit re: sunworship.

Fellowship is a strange one for me. I accept and rightly recognise that over the period, he has been more than willing to reflect his worldview and learn and change opinions, but one thing still remains that annoys me.

For all Fellowships notable conduct and reasoning, he has never publically stated that he has rejected his position in 2001. I'm trying to adress this in a manner that doesn't attack Fellowship, but I find it odd, that someone who appears to have grown so much in these forums, will still go to Church on Sunday and worship exactly the same 'concepts' that he held to 3 years ago. Still trying not to be nasty - this is just 2 faced hypocricy. I have little doubt that while the Fellowship on AO has changed, I fully expect that given the opportunity, he is/has/will be going through exactly the same process (as 2001) with people who do not have the education, intellectual honesty or integrity to challenge his creation science claim. Im sorry if that is harsh, but I believe that if I was a fly on the wall in Fellowships life, I would likely find that to be true.

Fellowship and I, I believe have largely amicably settled the matter here, and I have no intent to go after Fellowship on a personal level, unless there is a strange return to 2001. However, I have a strong religious opinion (maybe even an agenda) and if certain people are offended by it, thats too bad. Just like its 'too bad' if anyone is offended by any debate on an internet forum.

I really like Fellowship, while finding him detestable at the same time. I have alot of respect for the Fellowship as we know now, but absolutely no respect on other levels. I do reject the claim that I am still going after Fellowship, and I think its just a memory of a few months ago.

Perhaps the man himself would like to comment?

(oh and seg is a very informed smart guy (when I'm that old! I hope I understand the world as well as he), If I try to hang off his shirt tails, it is because I try to associate with intelligent, respectable people - but seg holds ideaologies that I completely disagree with, proof that I'm not religion bashing just for the sake of it?)
post #20 of 30
Damn - Forgot to add

"SOL INVICTA"
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
I think its good to take a reflective step from time to time, so I invite anyone to comment on what they think of, or perceive me to be. I won't take offense or request moderation. Be as honest as you like.

If I started spending time thinking about the personality of people on online message boards ... I won't have time to troll.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
I'll Just say one thing at the moment re Fellowship.

To clarify, (and so Anders doesn't take a set against you ) I will say that you have backed off Fellowship recently. But a few months back when you had him in your sights, you came off looking the arse because while you were obnoxious towards him, Fellowship continued to treat you with respect and dignity. I was lurking back when the old Fellowship was around and I remember him well. He often looked the arse then for the same reasons you have more recently.

What I don't understand is why what Fellowship believes is so important to you. Nor why he should make any sort of public statement about it whether his views have changed or not. In my experience, a person's beliefs are often not a good indication of what they are like. I've met people who show enormous compassion to indigenous Australians in their daily lives, only to discover that they hold beliefs that are fundamentally racist.

I have a friend who's a born again Christian, believes in creationism the whole bit. I'm an atheist. We have wonderful discussions about religion but never argue because we respect each other. When I go to her place for dinner, I say grace with them - out of respect. I don't when she comes to my home (because it's my home) but invite her to do so (she does). That's cool. I think a lot of her religious beliefs are verging on nutty but she is one of the most decent, genuine people I know. And to me, that's what's important, not what she believes.

A world where everyone thinks the same as me sounds like a very boring place indeed. Give me life's rich tapestry any day.

Oh and I'm even older than segovius but female, so therefore inherently stupid.

One of the things I like about Fellowship is that he wears his heart on his sleeve - a rare thing in a world full of fakery and posturing.
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Hey, what does everyone think of ME?

That you are obviously very smart, and not just for your age, and a good, kind person.
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
That you are obviously very smart, and not just for your age, and a good, kind person.

This is a giant compliment
post #25 of 30
Not intending to partake in the ongoing session of comparative targeted critique. There are some details here deserving clarfication:

Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
the great Arabist Sir Richard Burton (he who was the first white man to make the pilgrimage to Mecca)

If it's the actual tone of his epiderm that is referred to, Burton was neither the first nor the last of them, as many of those individuals actually live there all year long.
It's non-Muslims who are forbidden to enter Mecca, not white men (whatever that means). Burton was one of the few non-Muslims who visited the city in disguise; had he been discovered it would have been considered an unforgivable affront and he would have probably been summarily murdered by the noble objects of his fascination. Perhaps he was the first modern-time European (is that what white man means? I guess I'll never know) to venture there.
He certainly was the first of those savage islanders to become famously fascinated with the pre-mediaevalist tribals of the crescent; were similarly fascinated: Harry St. John Philby (whose son Kim would become famously enamoured with the pseudo-futurist tyrants of the hammer and sickle), Thomas Edward Lawrence, and Robert Fisk.
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs

חברים יש רק באגד
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs

חברים יש רק באגד
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein
Not intending to partake in the ongoing session of comparative targeted critique. There are some details here deserving clarfication:

If it's the actual tone of his epiderm that is referred to, Burton was neither the first nor the last of them, as many of those individuals actually live there all year long.
It's non-Muslims who are forbidden to enter Mecca, not white men (whatever that means). Burton was one of the few non-Muslims who visited the city in disguise; had he been discovered it would have been considered an unforgivable affront and he would have probably been summarily murdered by the noble objects of his fascination. Perhaps he was the first modern-time European (is that what white man means? I guess I'll never know) to venture there.
He certainly was the first of those savage islanders to become famously fascinated with the pre-mediaevalist tribals of the crescent; were similarly fascinated: Harry St. John Philby (whose son Kim would become famously enamoured with the pseudo-futurist tyrants of the hammer and sickle), Thomas Edward Lawrence, and Robert Fisk.

To add to your excellent critique, he wasn't actually the first whitey either- Burckhardt beat him too it although he was a convert whereas Burton (allegedly) was not.

I don't know what to say - sometimes I get my personas mixed up ! hehehe

Either that or the book I plagiarised the info from said 'white man'. Sometimes these Orientalist tomes do phrase things like that you know.

I had another narrow escape with this one actually luckily I double checked though before claiming he was from Port Talbot and married to Liz Taylor.
post #27 of 30
Quote:

That in just 2 short years (and 3 usernames) you've made the biggest positive turnaround of any member I've ever seen here, including Fellowship.

It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
That in just 2 short years (and 3 usernames) you've made the biggest positive turnaround of any member I've ever seen here, including Fellowship.

Funny that you mention it... what happened isn't what you thought happened, but it's a long story that I'm not going to reveal.
post #29 of 30
I think you complain too much about having to register to read articles. Go to bugmenot and move on.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
I don´t understand your sense of humor.

I can see that
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What does everyone think of me?