or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The difference between us.

The difference between us.

post #1 of 16
Ive been doing some thinking about the differences between liberals and conservatives. I think we all have similar wants. Most folks want a peaceful world. Most folks hate war and would rather it never while conservatives respond to the reality of the world as it is. We too would love a world without war, but we know that this world is not yet ready for that. There are too many leaders in the world who, motivated by greed, hate, religion and or the love of power, would eat up any nation unwilling to defend itself with the sword. Conservatives speak the often unpopular truth. Liberals speak in a feel-good the way the world should be manner. I admit the world would be a much better place to live in if everyone had such well -meaning liberal views. Unfortunately, many dont and the dictators would swallow us up if we fell into a Utopian trance.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #2 of 16
You post is wrong on every level. When are you people going to realize that your old conservative/liberal stereotypes simply don't exist anymore? Hell, I've seen more than enough conservative bloggers talking about it, so what's taking you people so long?
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
There are too many leaders in the world who, motivated by greed, hate, religion and or the love of power, would eat up any nation unwilling to defend itself with the sword.

sounds like Bush...
seriously...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Ive been doing some thinking about the differences between liberals and conservatives. I think we all have similar wants. Most folks want a peaceful world. Most folks hate war and would rather it never while conservatives respond to the reality of the world as it is. We too would love a world without war, but we know that this world is not yet ready for that. There are too many leaders in the world who, motivated by greed, hate, religion and or the love of power, would eat up any nation unwilling to defend itself with the sword. Conservatives speak the often unpopular truth. Liberals speak in a feel-good the way the world should be manner. I admit the world would be a much better place to live in if everyone had such well -meaning liberal views. Unfortunately, many dont and the dictators would swallow us up if we fell into a Utopian trance.

So, in other words, you're saying that Conservatives believe that the things either are or used to be very nearly perfect and we should either get back to that or not do anything to mess them up, while liberals believe that things could always be improved upon?

I prefer this one: Conservatives desperately want to get back to the good old days of the 18th century. That's it.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #5 of 16
Is it really a purely liberal concept to expect my country's leaders to be honest with me when taking the nation to war?

Or, is it conservative doctrine that it's OK to lie to the country and the world, as long as it's done in the name of fighting terrorism?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #6 of 16
Actually, come to think of it -- war begets war, but forced peace also begets war. This later statement assumes the existence of a war to begin with and so is only a correlary to the first one, but it is a statement that we all too often forget. Peace isn't the product of more wars.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #7 of 16
Quote:
There are too many leaders in the world who, motivated by greed, hate, religion and or the love of power, would eat up any nation unwilling to defend itself with the sword.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
sounds like Bush...
seriously...

Go ahead and italicize "hate", too - Saddam tried to kill his Dad, and Bush obviously took great personal enjoyment in his downfall. Iran and NK got the impression that Bush will eat up any nation unwilling to defend itself with nuclear weapons. So strange, to describe the world's view of Bush as Bush's view of the world. You could make a psychoanalyst very happy, Common Man.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Towel
You could make a psychoanalyst very happy, Common Man.

Well, maybe just very rich....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #9 of 16
Quote:

We are not talking about "war" in general here. We are asking which wars are needed / justified. (Measured against time, truth and ethics)

We are not talking about Conservatives or Liberals. We are talking about special interests (money) having more influence over US policy and Americans than the people themselves. Democracy has taken a back seat to corporate greed and profits.

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #10 of 16
Why do people bother responding to the troll?

Notice how he posts something to start a flame war and then disappears.

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
We are not talking about "war" in general here. We are asking which wars are needed / justified. (Measured against time, truth and ethics)

We are not talking about Conservatives or Liberals. We are talking about special interests (money) having more influence over US policy and Americans than the people themselves. Democracy has taken a back seat to corporate greed and profits.

Fellowship

Well said. Now update your signature to say "Voting for Kerry" and we can be done with it.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by jwri004
Why do people bother responding to the troll?

Notice how he posts something to start a flame war and then disappears.

Yup that's my take. No one could be that weird.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #13 of 16
I don't post and run. This thread didn't catch on so I saw no need to bring it to the top and prolong it if it was not interesting to people. I continue to contribute only if a thread is active.

Moe
post #14 of 16
Quote:
I don't post and run. This thread didn't catch on so I saw no need to bring it to the top and prolong it if it was not interesting to people. I continue to contribute only if a thread is active.

Moe

Seems pretty active to me.

Btw - why is it that 99% of trolls are trolling for Bush ?

I suppose it is that trolling is, by definition lying, and they have cornered the market.
post #15 of 16
The thread was inactive for several days.
post #16 of 16
Quote:

The thread was inactive for several days.

Ok. Fair enough. Let's take it from the top - you're here now so:

Quote:
Ive been doing some thinking about the differences between liberals and conservatives. I think we all have similar wants. Most folks want a peaceful world.

This is clearly untrue.

There are many people who love war. They exist in all countries, in all areas and are of all political persuasions.

War is also big business and you should realise that the military/industrial complex goes somewhat beyond pragmatism in it's view of global conflict.

Quote:
Most folks hate war and would rather it never while conservatives respond to the reality of the world as it is. We too would love a world without war, but we know that this world is not yet ready for that.

It is not ready for that mainly through the activities of the conservatives.

Quote:

Very true - America is the most rabid of them at the present time.

Do you have a logical argument (other than the 'conservative' or nationalistic one) why these countries should not be allowed to even believe that they can rightly defend themselves form unprovoked attack ?

Quote:
Conservatives speak the often unpopular truth. Liberals speak in a feel-good the way the world should be manner.

No, they do not 'often speak truth' - they always speak what people like you want to hear and as you are so wedded to them (unhealthily so imo) you cannot consider the possibility that they might lie,

Most normal people have long ago realised that we have had to suffer four years of conservative unpopular lies.

Quote:
I admit the world would be a much better place to live in if everyone had such well -meaning liberal views. Unfortunately, many dont and the dictators would swallow us up if we fell into a Utopian trance.

I'm not sure that you realise what you just said - it is very significant.

You said that the world would be a better place if everyone had liberal views.

Not that 'liberal views' are wrong and that the world would be better if they were true but that the world would be better if everyone was a liberal.

I agree.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The difference between us.