or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Fahrenheit 9/11: have you seen it?

Fahrenheit 9/11: have you seen it?

Poll Results: Have you seen Fahrenheit 9/11?

• 85% (40)
    Yes
  • 4% (2)
    No, I don't want to fund Moore's propaganda. But I would watch it for free or if someone paid me (a resonable amount $25>x>$5).
  • 6% (3)
    Not yet, but I will before the election.
  • 4% (2)
    Not yet, but I'm sure I'll see it at some point after the election.
  • 0% (0)
    I never will based on principal.
47 Total Votes  
post #1 of 23
Please, no bashing, flaming, attacks of any kind (against Mr. Moore or otherwise).

This is just a simple poll on the movie and if you have seen it.
If so why? or why not?
Will you see it again?
Will you see it in the future? before or after the election?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #2 of 23
I have seen it, and I would encourage others to do so-especially if they are skeptical of Moore.

I saw it because I did not think that Bush was doing a good job running the country and "uniting" people. I wanted to see an opinion that would be critical of the president.

Moore definitely distorted facts to his advantage and used his opinion liberally, and I think that this took away from the movie, but there were some moments in the film that were both shocking and true.
post #3 of 23
Watched it the other night.

Certainly not the kind of footage the 'embedded' network cheerleaders tend to air.

Some good discussion points.
Yes, there are some clearly staged 'set-ups' for dramatic effect, but some of the other footage is simply documentary and Moore allows some of the subjects to dig themselves their own holes.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #4 of 23
I'm cynical and critical enough to already be anti-Bush, so I don't "need" to see it as far as being woken up.

I suppose he'll be working on a John Kerry version in case Kerry fails to walk on water and make bread into fish.

I'll see it when one of my roommates buys the DVD or rents it. If I really, really like it I might buy it. I tend not to buy or rent movies and it wasn't something I wanted to see theatrically. I don't like a theater full of anti-Bush activists any more than I like a theater full of pro-life religious nuts. Same difference.

And I don't like the expectation of many Moore fans that if I hate BushCo I must therefore like Moore. I find Bush and Moore to be equally manipulative.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #5 of 23
i saw it the day it came out in philly...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #6 of 23
I have not seen it, I can not justify spending my money on mocumentory...er...uh...documentory like this, I hated roger and me, I strong-armed a teacher I had in High School to let us out of seeing "Bowling for Colombine" (at the time it was in theaters) because we would have had to pay for it, and I did not want to give Moore money.

I refuse to pay to see it...and it isnt worth the time to DL it on kazaa...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #7 of 23
As far as the DVD extras go...

No commentary track (it's already a documentary with Moore's opinion... why add VO of the same)

The DVD 'Features' menu is ironically set with colour codes as "Mike's Homeland Security system".

Quote:
Features include:
1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English subtitles

Featurette: The Release of Fahrenheit 9/11

The Cannes Jury (Tarantino and others) explains why they awarded it the Palme d'Or.
(Not for political affinity, but for its own merits as a documentary on an important topic)

Quote:
Montage: The People of Iraq on the Eve of Invasion
New Scene: Homeland Security, Miami Style
Outside Abu Ghraib Prison

The Montage is pre-war footage of families and cute kids all saying "we don't want war".
Unsurprising, and some might contest some folks didn't feel free to express themselves, but its hard to feel justified bombing and destabilizing a country if you'd seen any of that instead of drum-banging "WMD" and rah-rah spin first.

The Miami segment is about retired USCG vets boating around Miami spying on 'suspicious activity'.
Unarmed (thankfully), but it is spooky to think paranoid nosy seniors are encouraged to report their neighbours in the interests of Homeland Security.

The Abu Ghraib crowd shots have some interpreter, some subtitle, but are mostly raw footage of a scheduled 'release' of 100 prisoners. It is clear that the soldiers are equally as concerned about cameras and unfiltered 'bad pr' (from the military view) as they are about getting shot by weapons. They'd clearly been instructed to confiscate film. Why??

Quote:
Eyewitness account from Samarra, Iraq

Some of the footage from the Samarra Raid is in the film, but this segment is longer and has interviews with the Swedish journalist (an actual journalist... points out where other media have failed and barely deserve to be called 'reporters') who shot the footage on the raid and has followed up since.
This is one of the best segments on the DVD as far as I was concerned.

Quote:
Extended Interview: Moore with Abdul Henderson
Lila Lipscomb at the Washington D.C. Premiere

Marine Corporal Henderson is in the film handing out pamphlets and recruiting Congress' kids with MM. Some of his experiences in Iraq are detailed in this segment.

Lila is the Mom from Flint who appears often in the 2nd half of the film.

Quote:
Arab-American Comedians - Their acts and experiences after 9/11
Condoleeza Rice's 9/11 Commission Testimony
Rose Garden press briefing after 9/11 Commission Appearance

The Comedians are sometimes funny, sometimes offstage just talking about how their lives changed.

Condi's footage is old news to anybody who paid attention at the time.
The President's brief comments are probably similarly familiar.

Each extra segment on the DVD has boards before and after with text details - usually just facts, sometimes more neutrally expressed than other times.

Worth watching with friends, I would think, if only because it makes you want to ask questions and discuss.

Definitely worth renting... worth buying if it matters to you, but I don't think avoiding it informs.
Even if you're hardcore opposed to Moore, some of the points raised are legitimate, most of the emotions are genuine, and the calls to participate in voting for your future ought to be energizing for either side.
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
I have not seen it, I can not justify spending my money on mocumentory...er...uh...documentory like this, I hated roger and me, I strong-armed a teacher I had in High School to let us out of seeing "Bowling for Colombine" (at the time it was in theaters) because we would have had to pay for it, and I did not want to give Moore money.

I refuse to pay to see it...and it isnt worth the time to DL it on kazaa...

Maybe you should. After I read one or two of his books (which I don't like that much because of his propagandistic style) I went to the theatre watching it. I was surprised.

I expected a propagandistic bush-bashing, instead Moore doesn't comment a lot, he let's the pictures speak for themselves. This is very impressive. Especially the footage from Iraq is something I've never seen before -- not even here in Europe such images are shown on TV.

OK, one could argue that not commenting and letting the images speak for themselves is even more propagandistic... i don't know.

I think it was worth seeing it, although it's absolutely not a pop cron movie.
post #9 of 23
Excellent reply curiousuburb.

Is Moore anti-Bush? Obviously. Does this documentary further his personal political adgenda? Absolutely. So doesn't that make F 9/11 a big budget Swift Boat ad. Nope. You can't accuse Mr. Moore of nothing if not thorough.

Even if you are a die-hard Republican but STILL like to think for yourself, some of the situations portrayed as they were cannot be denied.
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
Even if you are a die-hard Republican but STILL like to think for yourself, some of the situations portrayed as they were cannot be denied.

That's a little bit of a contradiction.

That's the problem. The Bushies have the "with us or against us" mentality so deeply ingrained in their brains that anything critical of Bush goes against the group mentality. It's very hard for them to think for themselves.

I liked the movie. Some things were a little on the silly side, but they were done to try to make a point, right or wrong. I'm going to buy 10 copies to give out to friends.
post #11 of 23
Twice.
post #12 of 23
I haven't yet seen the film, but it won't impact my vote. Frankly, I'm amazed I haven't seen it yet. I did recently watch Bowling For Colombine, also an excellent flick.

Fahrenheit 9/11 is at the top of my Netflix list though. I know I'll eat it up.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #13 of 23
I would think that more of you would refuse to see it based on principle... I find that a bit odd...
Or maybe those that feel that way would just refuse to even enter the thread.
post #14 of 23
I like the part in the movie ...when Bush first was in ..and Rice and Powell stated that Iraq had no WMD...I wish some one would make a tv add about it to funny !!!! what a flip floper...I will not vote for Bush ...I cant understand ...we went thru Iraq like a hot knife thru butter ...then sixteen months later we still have not taken all of Iraq ...???? why are they dragging there feet???? Were do think all the beheadings happen ??? In Iran ??? no they are happening cuz we dont have contrlo of the country!!! I laugh every time I hear Bush talk about Kerry being soft on terror...
post #15 of 23
I just cued up Farenhype 911 on my netflix account.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by G2G
..and Rice and Powell stated that Iraq had no WMD...I wish some one would make a tv add about it

I couldn't agree more.
post #17 of 23
I think all who plan to vote should see this film.

I saw it and it was much better work than Bowling for Columbine in my humble opinion. I used to not care for Moore.

Now I wish there were more people like him.

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I just cued up Farenhype 911 on my netflix account.

....oh what the hell, I just bought it. Dick Morris can't lie, CAN he?

post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
....oh what the hell, I just bought it. Dick Morris can't lie, CAN he?

You will have to judge that for yourself.

It is good to question people and what motivates them. Who they work for and why they do.

Fellowship

post #20 of 23
i have seen it. Political views aside, i think as a documentary is was utter shit. I have no respect for Moore's film making talent....or lack thereof.
post #21 of 23
I saw the first show the morning it came out. It was more of an event movie than something I'd watch exclusively on it's own merits. The huge theater easily sold out the day's showtimes-- all of them. So it was definitely interesting to gauge the crowd's reactions to certain parts and so on.

But as a documentary, the connect-the-dots narration by Moore seemed a little overdone and conspiratorial for my taste. It was most effective when lampooning the President, demonstrating Moore's muckracking antics, and leaving alone some of the more powerful moments of the film-- especially the Lila Lipscombe part. That was the whole movie for me.

And the idea at the end how America sends its poorer citizens to fight for upper-class interests, which Moore seemed to just throw in at the end.

Not the most informative or insightful film I've ever seen.
post #22 of 23
I've wanted to see this for sometime and I just finished watching it a little while ago. I thought it was a very insightful film. I realize that this film was structured in a certain way to portray events in a certain light. However the thing that kept running through my mind was that whatever you think about it these events did happen. You can't change that. Also how easy it was to find negative items about Mr. Bush.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #23 of 23
I just watched this film today. The shots of Iraq, both before, during, and after are the most poignant I think. I hope this film is a blockbuster on TV when it airs.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Fahrenheit 9/11: have you seen it?