or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Copy DVDs to the hard disk

Copy DVDs to the hard disk

post #1 of 3
How would I go about keeping copies of DVDs on my hard drive? I tried creating a disc image via Disk Utility, but when I attempt ot mount the image and play it, the picture/sound is all garbled.

Is it possible to keep a copy on the hard disk? I gues it's kind of like iTunes but with DVDs instead of CDs...
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #2 of 3
The Motion Picture Industry has decided that copying DVDs in any form or matter is basically illegal - EVEN IF YOU OWN THE DVD. So if your 4-year old scratches up your "Finding Nemo" DVD, you are 'forced' to buy another new one. I, for one, find this somewhat disturbing.

post #3 of 3
the problem is, the legal issues are different in diferent countries, e.g. over here in Germany it IS allowed to do personal copies of owned DVD, i would recommend tools as "OsEx" or "backup" (you'll find them at versiontracker.com for free), BUT our laws don't allow to overrun copy protection! AND I'm not allowed even to mention these tools as above (but this is an american site, so, freedom of speech, jabbajabbajabba)-

other countries as Arruba for instance allow the ownership and distribution of protection killers as CloneCD (PCs only), but don't allow personal copies.

as far as I know, Panamas doesn't care at all.-

but I'm not lawyer.

I do respect ownership of creative content; I pay for it; and I like the digital hub - no illegal tracks on my iPod - but how did they get there ;-) ? (we do have copy protection on audio cds over here I know, we're strange, we Krauts)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Copy DVDs to the hard disk