or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 3rd Presidential Debate

3rd Presidential Debate - Page 2

post #41 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Now Kerry is chiding Bush for Not fully funding NCLB to the tune of $2 trillion -- but ALSO wants to rip him on the budget deficit?

CLASSIC

Yes. If only we hadn't spent tons of money on Iraq after we'd given a massive round of tax cuts, maybe NCLB would've been properly funded.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #42 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Now Kerry is chiding Bush for Not fully funding NCLB to the tune of $2 trillion -- but ALSO wants to rip him on the budget deficit?

CLASSIC

well, you see, the kerry/edwards camp has realized bush's secret to success: it doesn't matter how much bullshit you throw out there, average joe and jane just want it to sound good and will never follow up with fact checking, and will be annoyed by news outlets that do. just smile, be confident, and repeat "everything will be okay... with me at the helm."

hey, it worked for bush four years ago.

p.s. i don't know if it is, in fact, bullshit or not. but that's the stance and posture they need to adopt.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #43 of 122
here bush goes with the global test lie again.
post #44 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

Maybe because most of the deficit is from his retarded tax cut.
post #45 of 122
Kerry needs to get with Bill Cosby on the root causes of 'black' underachievment.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #46 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
Maybe because most of the deficit is from his retarded tax cut.

Study economics -- these back-of-the-schoolbus rants don't cut it.

post #47 of 122
ah, hell, begala's got this whole debate down perfectly. better than any of us could. here it is...

Paul Begala's Blog

i would link to novak's for equal time, but it's utterly useless. i mean, "That is a very good answer on Social Security by Bush." and that's it. utterly friggin' usless on a blog that's updated every five minutes.

post #48 of 122
HAHAHAHA Bush got dragged into defending his faith ... HAHAHAA

OMG ... NOW HE'S BIBLE THUMPIN' !
post #49 of 122
everytime he beats the table he reminds me of

Donkey Konga ...the new game on the game cube

post #50 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
HAHAHAHA Bush got dragged into defending his faith ... HAHAHAA

OMG ... NOW HE'S BIBLE THUMPIN' !

well, his core constituency will eat it up. problem is it doesn't bring anyone over, but i think both sides have given up that strategy now and are circling the wagons...

post #51 of 122
Wow ... Kerry complimented Bush on his response to 9/11 - pretty smooth.
post #52 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Study economics

As if there's no one here currently taking economics classes to prepare while they consider entering kellogg
post #53 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
As if there's no one here currently taking economics classes to prepare while they consider entering kellogg

Then you are probably somewhat suprised at what you are hearing in the classroom.

post #54 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

Powerful retort.
post #55 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Then you are probably somewhat suprised at what you are hearing in the classroom.

No, I studied a lot of finance for my undergrad and got a business minor. And by the way: economists prefer kerry.
post #56 of 122
I think that while this was Bush's best debate, it still failed to match Kerry's performance.
post #57 of 122
I agree with kevin drum:
Quote:
9:26 You know, this domestic policy stuff is pretty eye glazing from both sides. I mean, I actually understand most of this stuff, and I still don't really care much about most of what they're saying.
post #58 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

That an interesting response to a post saying the deficits are caused by the tax cuts, because economic analyses show that 2/3 of the current deficits are caused by the tax cuts.
post #59 of 122
I think Bush was coached much more this go round. He seemed more upbeat.

I think Kerry really blew it when he diverted from the question about his wife and daughters and talked about his mother. He never really mentioned THK.

This debate to me seems to be a draw. I think that the issues discussed were really general and watered down. No hard questions seemed to come up.

Boring

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #60 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
Boring

no kidding
post #61 of 122
hmmm... i can see in the future... and there i see...

49* state recounts beginning november 3rd.

*florida will just keep its fool mouth shut this time.

post #62 of 122
Quote:
where is Kerry's crack pipe? I just heard him say he's going to throw MORE MONEY at the same healthcare system and lower costs.

WHAT A FRELLING MORON!! He's treating his audiance like IDIOTS!

Where is Kerry's crack pipe? Probably Bush's pocket.

Speaking of idiots...you can't even spell audience with a built-in spell checker. How old are you? I could spell audience in 5th or probably even 4th grade.

Quote:

What college are you going to? Yeah I thought so. I am majoring in economics (along with environmental science.) But you don't need an Economics background to understand this: we started out with trillions of dollars in a surplus from Clinton. Bush now has the biggest deficit. Ever. Why? He gave most of the money back to the rich. The millionaires. And Billionaires. Who outsource American jobs, and don't pay taxes because they have headquarters in Jamaica and make stuff in China. How patriotic. What do you say to that dmz?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #63 of 122
One thing that annoyed me with this moderator was his forging ahead with question after question not affording the candidates to use the electable extra 30 second per candidate reply. This was very poor moderation compared to previous debates.

Just my 2 cents

Fellows

post #64 of 122
Well I have to say, Kerry strongly won the first one. Edwards won the second one, by a notable margin. This one...Bush looked ok. But all that was coming out of his mouth were lies. And he still looked a little bit nervous and giggly. Maybe those little bits of spit were...earpieces? Nah just kiddin! I guess they installed the earpieces more covertly this time.

Fellows that's a good observation.
post #65 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
That an interesting response to a post saying the deficits are caused by the tax cuts, because economic analyses show that 2/3 of the current deficits are caused by the tax cuts.

Shhhh. That sounds suspiciously like a fact. We don't like facts. We prefer our own version of reality.
Quote:
No, I studied a lot of finance for my undergrad and got a business minor. And by the way: economists prefer kerry.

The Economist is a left-wing, liberal, commie rag from the same country that tried to poison our flu vaccine. See, that's why we can't import drugs from Canada - can't trust those Third Worlds.

[/sarcasm, but it was fun]
post #66 of 122
Quote:

Yes of course, I'll begin burning Dr. Mankiw's textbooks.

At least be honest giant, things have gotten very 'Adam Smith' lately.

post #67 of 122
well, schieffer admitted to jon stewart how nervous he was about this task. i guess everyone has their first time moderating a debate.

i guess we can finally get away from these "candidates answering questions from an unbiased third party without the cheering throngs of a carefully screened audeince" and back to the wonderful "this man is the antichrist and here's why" 527 ads we all know and love.

enjoy the show!

post #68 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
What college are you going to? Yeah I thought so.

I make your textbooks. (Sorry)

Take you're rant to your prof, ask him if makes any sense.

post #69 of 122
i agree this was a boring debate, last moderator was much better

that being said i feel bush will win this election
& there will be a huge controversy over fraud etc etc
i also think we are headed for a series of major wars
& legislative acts that will make the patriot act look mild

i do hope im wrong, but ive a really bad feeling for where
we are headed. i hope people will come out & vote & make the
right choice
post #70 of 122
Not a single question on the Environment. What's up with that?
post #71 of 122
Third debate in direct competition with baseball. The debate was a tie. neither candidate gained or lost ground.. my 2ยข.

Oh, ABC scores it 42% Kerry, 41% Bush BTW with a 38% repub, 30% dem respondency.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #72 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
I think Bush was coached much more this go round. He seemed more upbeat.

I think Kerry really blew it when he diverted from the question about his wife and daughters and talked about his mother. He never really mentioned THK.

This debate to me seems to be a draw. I think that the issues discussed were really general and watered down. No hard questions seemed to come up.

Boring

Fellowship

He made a funny about here and her $$$.
post #73 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
At least be honest giant, things have gotten very 'Adam Smith' lately.

Feels like I'm interrupting your inner dialogue. Sorry. \
Quote:
Originally posted by bborofka
Not a single question on the Environment. What's up with that?

hmmm. good question.
post #74 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

It's nonsense to criticize deficits, and then still egg your opponent on for not spending enough money.

ALL of your understandings of economic policy are the butt of many, many jokes (and nightmares) of economists and policymakers alike. Envy, ignorance, and hatred don't make you people geniuses -- it only serves to make you the prey of smooth-talking politicians.

Basically, GWB just sugar-coated reality for you, but Kerry lied to you wholesale, while still appealing to your hatred and greed.

I'm done here, hammer it out between yourselves.

post #75 of 122
Bush says:

Quote:
Veterans are getting very good health care under my administration.

Answer:

Quote:
FACT: Veterans of Foreign Wars assailed the presidents 2005 budget, saying, "This deplorable budget will do nothing to alleviate the many thousands of veterans who are waiting six months or more for basic health care appointments with VA...This is inexcusable.
[Veterans of Foreign Wars, 2/2/04]

FACT: According to leading veterans organizations, President Bushs 2005 budget shortchanged veterans health-care facilities by $2.9 billion.
[National Priorities Project, May 2004] _

FACT: President Bushs 2005 budget would increase prescription drug co-pays from $7 to $15 for many veterans. In 2002, the co-pay more than tripled, jumping from $2 to $7.
[Sources: Cleveland Plain Dealer, 2/7/04; WP, 2/19/03]

Also, Bush says:

Quote:
Most of the tax cuts went to low and middle income Americans, and now the tax code is more fair, 20 percent of the upper income people pay about 80 percent of the_ taxes in America today because of how we structured the tax_cuts.

Reality?

Quote:
In 2004, Top One Percent Will Receive Average Tax Cut Of $35,000; Middle Class Will Receive Average Tax Cut Of $647._ The benefits of Bushs tax cuts primarily benefit the rich. The top one percent of households will receive tax cuts averaging almost $35,000--or 54 times more than middle-class families._ Households with incomes above $1 million will receive tax cuts averaging about $123,600.
[Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 4/14/04]

George Bush's Plan Shifts the Tax Burden to the Middle Class. In contrast, under the Bush plan the "Tax Burden Shifts to the Middle" according to a Washington Post headline, and "middle America - average annual income $75,600 - saw its share of the federal tax burden increase from 18.7 percent to 19.5 percent."_ In addition, George Bush has imposed a tax of thousands of dollars on families through higher costs for health care, gasoline, college tuition, and state and local taxes._
[Washington Post, 8/13/04]

Bush lies, lies, lies.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #76 of 122
What does "wonk-fest" mean?

Or are they trying not to say wank fest?
post #77 of 122
Q: Mr. President, in your speeches now, you rarely talk or mention Osama bin Laden. Why is that? [...]

BUSH: ... I don't know where he is. Nor -- you know, I just don't spend that much time on him really, to be honest with you [...]

Q: Do you believe the threat that bin Laden posed won't truly be eliminated until he is found either dead of alive?

BUSH: As I say, we hadn't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, you know, again, I don't know where he is.

I'll repeat what I said: I truly am not that concerned about him.

Press Conference
post #78 of 122
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
ALL of your understandings of economic policy are the butt of many, many jokes (and nightmares) of economists and policymakers alike.

Really? Last time I checked, economists prefer kerry
post #79 of 122
post #80 of 122
CNN agrees
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 3rd Presidential Debate