or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils new "mini" retail store design

Apple unveils new "mini" retail store design

post #1 of 39
Apple's smaller gadget boutiques will embrace a design similar to the company's current product offerings.

Apple today unveiled its new "mini" retail store, an all-new design featuring stainless steel walls and seamless white floors and ceilings. The mini store is half the size of Apples smallest store to date, which will allow it to be placed in a variety of new locations to introduce Apple's products to even more customers, the company said.

The first six mini stores will open this Saturday at 10 a.m. in Palo Alto, CA; San Jose, CA; Santa Rosa, CA; Tukwila, WA; Bridgewater, NJ; and Rockaway, NJ.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs attended Thursday's news conference to unveil one of the new Apple stores at a shopping mall near Palo Alto, marking his first public appearance since he underwent a successful operation on his pancreas in late July.

"I'm back, I'm back," Jobs told the Associated Press with a smile shortly after pulling open a black curtain to reveal the sleek new store.

Alongside Jobs at the conference was Apple Retail vice president Ron Johnson, who at one point noted that the new store design was roughly the same size as retail outlets in airports, suggesting that future airport-based Apple stores could become a convenience for traveling shoppers.

During the first three years of Apples retail strategy, Apple has located 84 retail stores in the United States and today over half of the US population lives within 15 minutes of an Apple retail store, according to Apple research. The mini store is designed to precisely locate additional stores closer to customers to make it even more convenience to purchase products and get help.

Apple's new Apple mini stores will feature a full line of iPods, laptops and the iMac G5 desktop. In addition, the stores will offer an assortment of the best third party products, on-site repair on all Apple products, and a minature Mac Genius Bar where anyone can get their questions answered by an Apple "Genius."

Since the opening of the first Apple retail store in May 2001, Apple retail stores have attracted almost 50 million visitors and recently generated revenues of almost $1.2 billion in the companys 2004 fiscal year.

In addition to opening six mini Apple retail stores, Apple is also opening a retail store this Saturday in Newark, DE. A complete list of Apple's 93 retail locations can be found at the company's retail web site.
post #2 of 39
I'm going to miss the days when being an Apple user offered a feeling of exclusivity. Sure, it's a bold prediction, why not.
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtremehkr
I'm going to miss the days when being an Apple user offered a feeling of exclusivity. Sure, it's a bold prediction, why not.

You could always have all of your Apple gear customized. :]
post #4 of 39
Wait a minute!

No eMac's in that store!

Apple are discontinuing it! I knew it!
i am the beautiful conductor of this orchestra.
i am the beautiful conductor of this orchestra.
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by CrunchinJelly
Wait a minute!

No eMac's in that store!

Wait a minute!

No Power Macs in that store!...

Sorry just couldn't resist.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #6 of 39
pretty cool that it is a self-checkout system. I've used this at Home Depot and it works fairly well. It should work even better at the mini stores since there are rarely problems with barcodes and pricing on the stuff they'll stock
post #7 of 39
I broke my nose just LOOKING at those pictures.

I sure hope they add some stickers or something
post #8 of 39
I have never a better looking store... EVER.
MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz 15", iPod touch 16GB
iShnoob
iShnoob
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
pretty cool that it is a self-checkout system. I've used this at Home Depot and it works fairly well.

Interesting...my luck at Home Depot (the few times I've been forced into that den of fascists, but I digress) is that the self checkout system blows goats. Every single checkout operation is akin to a register-trainee on her first day...
post #10 of 39
Hmm, the word 'sterile' comes to mind.
post #11 of 39
Apple stores at airports with free "airport" and internet access would quickly become very popular IMHO.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by deepkid
You could always have all of your Apple gear customized. :]

That's a good idea, maybe something someone else is working on. Those colored iMacs that I saw linked somewhere here were pretty cool. Though I bet the product lineup would expand if Apple really became a hit.
post #13 of 39
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe they will finallly open an Apple store in the state of SC someday!

(how many stores does Cali need, anyway?)
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #14 of 39
Could someone explain to me the advantage of having an Apple store at an airport. The internet thing mentioned above seems to be a good idea, but is a store actually necessary?
iShnoob
iShnoob
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
Apple stores at airports with free "airport" and internet access would quickly become very popular IMHO.

i thought the same thing, just selling travel peripherals, though i would also like some coffee area, too.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by iPoster
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe they will finallly open an Apple store in the state of SC someday!

(how many stores does Cali need, anyway?)

Lots, there's nearly 35 million of us.
post #17 of 39
I'd love to see at Apple stores:

1) Employees enticing people as they walk by the store to come in and try an iPod. Have dummy iTMS accounts setup so people can buy songs from the Apple store right there onto a store demo machine and iPod. There are so many people I still meet who know that the iPod has something to do with music and that everyone wants one but they "don't understand where the music goes/comes from"

2) A token Dell peecee running XP and IE connected to the Net left unattended. Customers are encouraged to give it a whirl without comment.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuttle

2) A token Dell peecee running XP and IE connected to the Net left unattended. Customers are encouraged to give it a whirl without comment. [/B]

Place it in a poorly lit corner, facing a wall, with a dunce hat on.
post #19 of 39
the stores are looking pretty nice

i really have to go to one some time..
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
Jason [thebox] - Software Developer
Creative Box - http://www.creativebox.net
post #20 of 39
Store looks great.

I think airports could be a great idea, people seem to be more tempted to impulse buy when they're in one... or maybe that's just me. Plus when you're traveling you realize how you need a case for this and an accessory for that.

We need Apple stores in Toronto. One in the Eaton's Center and one on Bloor St. in Yorkville. ... I'd settle for one just in Yorkville...
"There is one profession and one only, namely architecture, in which progress is not considered necessary, where laziness is enthroned, and in which the reference is always to yesterday." -Le...
"There is one profession and one only, namely architecture, in which progress is not considered necessary, where laziness is enthroned, and in which the reference is always to yesterday." -Le...
post #21 of 39
Quote:

Wonder if they brought Howard Hughes back from the dead and consulted him.
post #22 of 39
Quote:

Are you suggesting Apple Store employees have low sperm counts? I'll never use Airport again.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by dino
Could someone explain to me the advantage of having an Apple store at an airport. The internet thing mentioned above seems to be a good idea, but is a store actually necessary?

16 hour X-Pacific flight. That 8 hour battery's going to die. Buy that Belkin AA adapter.

Need some headphones? A memory card for your camera? Want to use iChat AV in the store to say good-bye to somebody at the last minute? Forgot to pack some blank media and need to burn a few discs for a client?

Might be a stretch, but airport retailers prey on the impulse, last minute buy.
I can change my sig again!
post #24 of 39
Fabulous looking store!! And London has not even got a full-size place - YET!! I can't wait for late November's opening!
And an airport location would be just great - provided of course it was in the duty free zone at the terminal you were actually using - you would need at least 3 at Heathrow! As has been said - stock all those accessories and the range of small items, maybe software as well, laptops even!
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
16 hour X-Pacific flight. That 8 hour battery's going to die. Buy that Belkin AA adapter.

Need some headphones? A memory card for your camera? Want to use iChat AV in the store to say good-bye to somebody at the last minute? Forgot to pack some blank media and need to burn a few discs for a client?

Might be a stretch, but airport retailers prey on the impulse, last minute buy.

This is exactly it, but I expect quite a few iPod sales, even though travelers wouldn't have time to load them up.
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
This is exactly it, but I expect quite a few iPod sales, even though travelers wouldn't have time to load them up.

When are the airlines going to start selling iPods in-flight through their duty-free catalogs?
post #27 of 39
Apple mini stores in all major Airports would be a terrific idea. This would give Apple and it's products a commanding presence in a demographic area that is far more tightly focused than even the most upscale Malls.

I don't have the data at hand, but from my own experience (working for Intel and Xerox) that business travelers make up significantly more than half of the people boarding flights (especially during the week). Providing a WiFi "hotspot" would make these mini stores a focal point for these business travelers on every trip.

Having an "Apple "genius" available before every business trip would vault Apple's support program into the forefront of every business laptop user's mind when making a laptop purchase for business use. How about a "loaner" program to put iBooks and Powerbooks in the hands of business users for the duration of their trip? The potential and possibilities of this concept are enormous.

I came out of a comfortable retirement to get a part time job as a Marketsource Apple "PowerRep" when I decided to become an Apple "switcher" (and investor - Yahoooo!) When my Sears and Circuit City stores were dropped (I bought a Cube cheap from my Circuit City account) I suggested to Marketsource management that they pitch Airport Apple kiosks manned by former Sears and Circuit City Power Reps, but that didn't fly.

The comment by Ron Johnson that the new mini store is about the size of retail space in Airports gives me some hope that Apple execs are thinking along these lines. Apple - Bring 'en On!
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtremehkr
Place it in a poorly lit corner, facing a wall, with a dunce hat on.

Hahaha! That's a good idea.
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Zweben
Hahaha! That's a good idea.

That would be petty. What I suggested would be effective.
post #30 of 39
Quote:

2) A token Dell peecee running XP and IE connected to the Net left unattended. Customers are encouraged to give it a whirl without comment.

This would also be a great way to demo ilife, when a windows user comes in, show them ilife and ask if they can do all of that on a bone stock windows xp install (or useing whatever crap dell includes this week)...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by CrunchinJelly
Wait a minute!

No eMac's in that store!

NO PMs, NO XSERVES NO XSERV RAIDS, NO 30 inch cinima display, no fiber channel raid cards, well dear god...apple will now have nothing to sell...oh be still my beating heart...
post #32 of 39
Self-service check-out has several outstanding issues, so they aren't actually being used yet...

1) No bags, gotta open the bottom cabinet
2) There's a god-awful delay after you scan your item and wiat for it to appear on screen
3) No way to get receipts other than opening the bottom drawer to the laser printer.
4) @Stanford, thermal paper slot, but not in use... @Oakridge, slot not present!
5)The interface doesn't look finished yet.

The PoS system is actually based around a G4 iMac. The whole wall slides out on rails like an Xserve.
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by dino

Check out this article by Jonathan Seff over at maccentral. The comments by Aphelion also make an awful lot of sense. This would be a great idea!

Also the new stores for the end of the year (up to 100) will include three additional mini-store locations in Syracuse, New York; St. Louis, Missouri; and Bethesda, Maryland. Looks like Apple's retail effort is booming!
post #34 of 39
Greetings. Today I went to the new Southcenter Apple Store mini. It wasn't advertised much (and it is a small store), so not many people where there. I got in pretty quickly. I watched someone check out using the new system and it is /slow/. First of all, it wasn't really self checkout, it was guided by an Apple Store employee. After every checkout, the screen locked (you could still see the background app) and the employee had to type in his password again. Also, the employee had to talk to his boss, because, as he said, about the half the items for sale didn't have bar codes. It looked like the system had some kinks to work out. I've tried using the self checkout at Home Depot and that wasn't very efficient (but I was buying lots of items). I think it is funny, yet appropriate, that iPods take up 1/4 the store . Also, having smaller, cheaper stores helps get the word out to the smaller, father out malls and cities.

Andrew
MusicMobs: Music recommendations based on your iTunes library. Publish your playlists.
MusicMobs: Music recommendations based on your iTunes library. Publish your playlists.
post #35 of 39
Also, if a mini store in an area becomes extremely succesful, it would hint at a full size store in that area. So these stores really allow apple to feel out a lot of places easier for the number of people wanting to buy macs.
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by adpowers
I think it is funny, yet appropriate, that iPods take up 1/4 the store .
Andrew

so these are basically iPod stores.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by brianru
Also, if a mini store in an area becomes extremely succesful, it would hint at a full size store in that area. So these stores really allow apple to feel out a lot of places easier for the number of people wanting to buy macs.

i don't think that's the case at all.

these are going in markets that already have a large apple store or that are not big enough to sustain one. despite being small, these stores definitely don't look cheap to build and it would be bad business to place them in anticipation of eventually replacing them with larger stores.

these need to be built on college campuses though.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Airports, stations, near schools/universities. And, if anyone interested in the international market is listening, follow this idea to every, yes every country, where a Mac/iPod could be sold. In most such countries, it is almost as though Apple does not exist! 5% means 1 in 20 computer shops should be Apple. I fear it is 1 in 200 or even 1 in 2000!

Now, before, I get accused that it is not a fair comparison, I agree. It's just that, I rarely hear people I know, tell me they are considering a Mac. All these people are still, er, uninformed!

I am glad Apple is doing great, but I can't get that phrase out of my head- " running to stand still".
HM

I like chocolate. Anytime.
HM

I like chocolate. Anytime.
post #39 of 39
Clearly there isn´t enough ProStores and MiniStores in Linköping, Sweden... Lots of professional hockey players though http://forums.appleinsider.com/newre...readid=47212&#
NA
NA
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils new "mini" retail store design