or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Digital Camera Suggestions

Digital Camera Suggestions

post #1 of 44
I am taking a trip to Disney World and would like to buy a digital camera. I want it to be small so I can put it in my pocket, so I am thinking of getting a sony-cybershot...LINK It is good enough quality for 8x10, and even higher, so that is what I want as well. The only other thing that I can think of is the zoom, it is only 3x... is that the norm. for cameras? is it good enough? Thanks everyone. Also, since it is an LCD screen, is there something I can put on it that will protect it and won't leave residue or anthing?
post #2 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by cubs23
I am taking a trip to Disney World and would like to buy a digital camera. I want it to be small so I can put it in my pocket, so I am thinking of getting a sony-cybershot...LINK It is good enough quality for 8x10, and even higher, so that is what I want as well. The only other thing that I can think of is the zoom, it is only 3x... is that the norm. for cameras? is it good enough? Thanks everyone.

yes, 3xzoom is a norm for compact cameras.
I think the coolest compact right now is the Panasonic Lumix dcm-fx7. In blue.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #3 of 44
This is a great compact camera. The Pentax Optio S4i. Compact, light, and powerful. 4mp, weighs 3.6 oz(4.2 oz with battery and memory card), and has a 3x optical zoom.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...uctId=13141654
post #4 of 44
There are so many good digital cameras out there now that it is hart to keep track of them. You should check out Digital Photography Review They have numerous reviews and comparisons of just about every digital camera.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by quagmire
This is a great compact camera. The Pentax Optio S4i. Compact, light, and powerful. 4mp, weighs 3.6 oz(4.2 oz with battery and memory card), and has a 3x optical zoom.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...uctId=13141654

the pentax optio s4i is nice. But the panasonic ones are a notch newer. check also out the fx-5 it is comparable to the optio, but better... :-)
post #6 of 44
Another good site to check:

http://www.dcresource.com/
post #7 of 44
I've never been a great Sony fan since I think by and large they produce too much crap for a higher priced brand. Many Sony cameras tend to do quite a poor job on colours, particularly the reds. They've also been known to use some nasty noise reduction algorithms.

I have to say the Panasonic FX range is my favourite closely followed by the Canon Ixus' or Powershot S/SD range if you're in the states.

That said best idea is to check out the two review sites that have been mentioned and the photos. Steve's Digicams is also good for images from the cameras. His reviews aren't the best though.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #8 of 44
I wouldn't go with sony. Had lots of comparisons being in the navy and the Sony is about ok, nothing more then that. For the same money, better value with Canon Ixus series
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by New
the pentax optio s4i is nice. But the panasonic ones are a notch newer. check also out the fx-5 it is comparable to the optio, but better... :-)

Actually, that looks alot wider then the Optio S4i. Can that fit in an altoids case? Looking at the specs they are so similar the person won't notice it. I say it is a tie. But, it is all personal prefence. Also, the Optio is $100 cheaper.
post #10 of 44
sony cybershot p-100 is very nice and very small (almost iPod thin). 5MP, excellent video for a digital camera if you get a pro stick.
post #11 of 44
Only problem I see with the sony is battery life. One of my church friend has one and when she is takes pictures... she turns off the camera immediately after finishing shooting and only takes pictures that she really really wants, cuz the camera batt doesn't allow for a great amount of shots. it's a new 2 week old camera too.

I really like my Fujifilm FinePix S3100, 400 pictures per charge is a good thing... 6x optical isn't bad as well, only prob is it's a little wide... haha I had to get a small camcorder bag for it to fit, none of the usual camera bags worked...

The bored one.
The bored one.
post #12 of 44
Don't forget http://www.dpreview.com for digicam reviews as well...

I have a Sony and I'd never buy another... the consumer class lenses are way worse quality than Canon (the only other brand I have lots of experience with) and for the same money. The Pentax compact is very nice as well. People also seem to like the Minolta Dimage as well. It's very small.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Ichiban_jay
Only problem I see with the sony is battery life. One of my church friend has one and when she is takes pictures... she turns off the camera immediately after finishing shooting and only takes pictures that she really really wants, cuz the camera batt doesn't allow for a great amount of shots. it's a new 2 week old camera too.

I really like my Fujifilm FinePix S3100, 400 pictures per charge is a good thing... 6x optical isn't bad as well, only prob is it's a little wide... haha I had to get a small camcorder bag for it to fit, none of the usual camera bags worked....

Well I've had my Cybershot for about 3 or 4 weeks and have only charged once--jsut the initial charge. I use it about every day. So maybe the P-100 is more efficient or something.
post #14 of 44
I have never owned a Sony digicam, but have half a dozen models from Canon, which is the best (IMHO). Something that keeps me away from Sony digicams is the proprietary memory stick thingie.

In any case, I just saw an ad on TV for a very exciting camcorder / digicam from Samsung:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camc...am_SCD6050.htm

It's a slim combo MiniDV 10x optical zoom camcorder / 5.25 megapixel digicam 3x optical zoom. If you travel with young kids like we do, that seems to be the perfect camera for vacations and stuff. Don't know much about its quality of price, but I will check it out as soon as I find a store that carries it.
post #15 of 44
If it's anything like the other Samsung camcorders, it's crap... they're very poorly rated (see http://www.camcorderinfo.com/)
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by mikef
If it's anything like the other Samsung camcorders, it's crap... they're very poorly rated (see http://www.camcorderinfo.com/)

Oh well... seemed like a good idea, albeit poorly implemented after reading some reviews. Thanks for the link.
post #17 of 44
Alright, I think I found one I am going to get. It comes out Oct. 30th, so that is good timing. Also, it is only $350. Canon Powershot SD20 What do you think?
post #18 of 44
Wow, do you really need 5MP? Other than that, if it's anything like any of the other Canon cameras, it should be fine.
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Alright, I think I found one I am going to get. It comes out Oct. 30th, so that is good timing. Also, it is only $350. Canon Powershot SD20 What do you think?

Be warned that it only has digital zoom (not optical).
post #20 of 44
Good point... no optical zoom.

SD10 and SD20 look to be bottom of the line models. Any higher models have optical zoom.

To the OP, do you really need such a small camera? I'd recommend the A75. Low price, excellent performance, and it's really not that big.
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Good point... no optical zoom.

SD10 and SD20 look to be bottom of the line models. Any higher models have optical zoom.

To the OP, do you really need such a small camera? I'd recommend the A75. Low price, excellent performance, and it's really not that big.

IT's not bottom of the line. It's a slim model that has removed the zoom for size and elegance. If you don't need a optical zoom (many really don't), it's a good camera. But I would stil go for a Panasonic. Their Leica lenses offer some very sharp optical quality for a compact camera.
post #22 of 44
Quote:
IT's not bottom of the line. It's a slim model that has removed the zoom for size and elegance.

Elegance? You should work in marketing

Quote:
If you don't need a optical zoom (many really don't), it's a good camera.

I think not having optical zoom is a poor trade-off.

Quote:
Their Leica lenses offer some very sharp optical quality for a compact camera.

As with the Carl Zeiss name on Sony lens, it's nothing more than a label.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Elegance? You should work in marketing

Shit, I think I've had my saturday job in a Photo supplies Store for too long... hehe

Quote:
I think not having optical zoom is a poor trade-off.

Most people take better pictures if they forget about the zoom. It' true.
Also with a 5 megapixel camera, you can easily live with a digital zoom.
I would have got one with zoom myself, but the zoom does not make the photographer. People should move their feet more when taking pictures. :-)

Quote:

Well, the Leica lenses have impressed me. Zeiss have not.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by New
Most people take better pictures if they forget about the zoom.

I was thinking just the opposite. Most people don't get close enough to their subjects and SHOULD use zoom more frequently.

Quote:
Also with a 5 megapixel camera, you can easily live with a digital zoom.

I disagree, but to each his own.

Quote:
Well, the Leica lenses have impressed me. Zeiss have not.

Not that I have anything against Panasonic, it's just that I trust a camera company more. Admittedly, I have seen some excellent photos from Panasonic digicams.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
I was thinking just the opposite. Most people don't get close enough to their subjects and SHOULD use zoom more frequently.

You are right, but the problem is also that people zoom as far as they can, and then take the picture, while taking a step forward would have made the ppicture far better.

Quote:
I disagree, but to each his own.

Most people do not need more tha 3 or 4 megapixels.

Quote:
Not that I have anything against Panasonic, it's just that I trust a camera company more. Admittedly, I have seen some excellent photos from Panasonic digicams.

I've always been a Nikon fan myself, and used to recomend the 5200 until the new panasonics came along. The blue Fx-7 is perhaps the most beautiful digital compact I've seen. And has the features to match, with a built-in stabilizer and all.

(But ofcourse, in a few months someone else will be leading the race.)
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by New
Most people do not need more tha 3 or 4 megapixels.

I totally agree, but I am not sure of the significance of digital zoom vs. megapixels. IMHO, digital zoom is nasty regardless.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
I totally agree, but I am not sure of the significance of digital zoom vs. megapixels. IMHO, digital zoom is nasty regardless.

In principle I would not hesitate to agree, but I've tried the digital zoom in the 4 megapixel version of the Canon camera, and it's really not "too nasty"...
post #28 of 44
I own a Canon S60 5mp and the Canon SD 10 4mp.

The Wide angle on the S60 along with the 3x Optical makes for some great picture taking opportunities. Canon's are great for their shooting modes and the intelligent auto focus.

The SD10 is a great camera as well. The lack of optical zoom is not at all a hinderance for the types of shots I use it for. This is a club camera or a party camera; the quickshot mode is phenomenal - no waiting for the unit to focus, just slam the button down and it takes a picture right away. The li-on battery goes for ages (I've taken over 200 shots this month and charged the battery in the last week of September). The digital zoom isn't half bad, but if you've got to, zoom with your feet. It's small enough to pop in a pocket or even slide into a cellphone belt case - pretty swell.

By no means is the SD10 or 20 bottom of the line - it's a camera with a very specific purpose in mind. You may not have the use for it or like it but that does not lessen its value as a camera.

For the truly bottom of the line there is the A series A400 or the A310 if you can still find them.

If you're looking for other slim cameras, the Casio Exilim may be one that you might want to take a look at.
Modding for Great Justice
Modding for Great Justice
post #29 of 44
Man, I didn't realize it didn't have an optical zoom. I knew the SD10 didn't, but thought the SD 20 did. Bummer, back to the drawing board. I don't think I need 5 mp, but I want a good quality 8x10. I suppose 4 would work, but 3 and lower is what I want to avoid. Sooo, now, I am impressed with the casio. I like the manual white balance, and manual focus options a bunch, and it has optical zoom, the lens is pentax, and from what I know, they are a good brand. Casio EX-Z40 I just want to find a store I can check it out at now in person... I am thinking of going through the store I linked to b/c free shipping and no tax. Anyone have any experiences with them? They look reputable and safe. Being in college, I don't want to be ripped off... I appreciate it a bunch.
post #30 of 44
Quote:

At the end of the day though the quality of pictures you get from Panasonic's cameras are very good and the colours and sharpness are often better than Sony's. That isn't just the lens it's also the image processing both companies use, and Sony's is particularly bad.
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Man, I didn't realize it didn't have an optical zoom. I knew the SD10 didn't, but thought the SD 20 did. Bummer, back to the drawing board. I don't think I need 5 mp, but I want a good quality 8x10. I suppose 4 would work, but 3 and lower is what I want to avoid. Sooo, now, I am impressed with the casio. I like the manual white balance, and manual focus options a bunch, and it has optical zoom, the lens is pentax, and from what I know, they are a good brand. Casio EX-Z40 I just want to find a store I can check it out at now in person... I am thinking of going through the store I linked to b/c free shipping and no tax. Anyone have any experiences with them? They look reputable and safe. Being in college, I don't want to be ripped off... I appreciate it a bunch.

Casio usually comes with a cradle, which can be pretty annoying. Also some casio's have lacked the ability to connect directly to a TV for picture and movie showing. I'm not sure if the Z40 has this ability. The Z4 didn't.
post #32 of 44
Canon S410

I have the 2M 2x optical version of this...great little camera and the 410 with twice the M and 3x world be that much better.

Perfect size. Great optics. Could not be happier
semper ubi sub ubi
semper ubi sub ubi
post #33 of 44
once again, fujifilm

Like mine, the s3100 is a 4.0 effective MP camera with 6x optical zoom and 3.4x digital zoom, video hookup to tv, XD card usage (not necessarily a good thing...), can do small movies (320x320 so it's not that great, but its there...), works with iphoto, 400 shots before running out of batts (200 w/o flash, 200 with), uses 4 AA batts so you don't have to use proprietary batts, has a manual mode, portrait modes (night time, landscape, sports, and person), automatic mode, auto white light balance, and lens attachments (wide angle, narrow angle, etc). I'm sure there's more but at 216 dollars you can't beat that! Especially since most cameras with 6x optical usually cost around 500 dollars.

I got it from butterflyphoto at that price, shipped and got to me in 2 days.

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/p...?sku=FUJIS3100
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #34 of 44
I recommend the Canon Powershot G6. 7.1mega pixels. Expandable. Superb battery life and good picture quality.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canong6/
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by talksense101
I recommend the Canon Powershot G6. 7.1mega pixels. Expandable. Superb battery life and good picture quality.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canong6/

In a perfect world I'd have three digital cameras.

One is an ultracompact P&S, like the Fujifilm Finepix F420 that I have and I love, or something similar like the latest Digital Ixus or a compact Sony or something like that. This is the camera that I take with me every minute of every day, and it's small enough that I can. I also have the underwater housing for my Fuji, so I can take it swimming (or diving) if I want to.

...and...

Second would be a Digital SLR like the Konica Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7D that I'm going to buy as soon as I can afford it. This I would only take for special events, or when I know I'll need the highest quality or the greatest sensitivity. The 7D is awesome because of low light sensitivity due to awesome performance at high ISO as well as great AS (Anti-shake) technology, and well, basically because Minolta bodies are the best in the industry. Oh, and because I already have a selection of nice, though inexpensive, Minolta lenses that I used to use with my awesome Dynax 700si film body.

Third would be a semipro P&S, and in this category, I would definitely go with the Canon PowerShot G6. If I had all three I would take this in my bag instead of my compact whenever I felt like it's not too inconvenient.

post #36 of 44
It's important not to compare apples and oranges here. The topic was small compact cameras. Talking about the G6 is like bringing a bazooka to a teaspoon fight... or something...
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by New
It's important not to compare apples and oranges here. The topic was small compact cameras. Talking about the G6 is like bringing a bazooka to a teaspoon fight... or something...

I love my F420. Only drawback is slow flash recharge.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by New

Agreed. The G6 is not exactly a pocket camera by any stretch.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Agreed. The G6 is not exactly a pocket camera by any stretch.

Yeah, while that is a nice camera, I don't want to have to have it hang off my neck with a strap or give it to someone to hold onto until I get off a ride. I will be doing a lot of walking/riding rides at Disney, so I don't want something bulky. Everyone's help has been much appreciated and has led me in the right direction.
post #40 of 44
don't forget to let us know what you got now!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Digital Camera Suggestions