or Connect

Diebold

post #1 of 5
Diebold sucks and FLorida is stupid.

http://politics.slashdot.org/politic...id=103&tid=219

Apparently they are having problems with their computer voting systems. Maybe it's because they use Windows NT!?

And so does Diebold's web site server, according to Netcraft. www.netcraft.co.uk

Appalling. Just appalling. The amount of trust put in to A) Microsoft to run mission-critical things like military operations, voting, power plants, hardware in hospitals, financial systems, etc. Just appalling. Nothing but the most badass, bare bones UNIX stuff should be used in these situations. B) Appalling how much control companies have over our political system, like Diebold, FOX News, military contractors, health industry companies, and etc. Gee I wonder who Micro$oft is contributing to? (Yes yes I know both parties.... But still...You wonder who they want to win? And gee we all wonder who Diebold is contributing to.)

e-voting should definitely be open source. 100%.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #2 of 5
Wasn't Diebold's CEO, Walden W. O'Dell, quoted as saying he was committed to delivering the president his votes?! What kind of open arogance does that indicate. Wow.

As far as using open source, interesting point. In all fairness though, the latest iteration of NT is very robust.
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #3 of 5
Code:

if(user_vote == "Republican")
republican.increment_by_two();
else if(user_vote == "Democrat")
democrat.increment_by_one();
else
republican.increment_by_one();

That's all it takes.
post #4 of 5
Quote:
In all fairness though, the latest iteration of NT is very robust.

So that's why they have had problems? NO version of Windows is very robust. NONE. ESPECIALLY not NT4. Maybe Window 3.1? Nah.

Ra has an excellent point. Unless it is open source, how are we supposed to know what is going on? Like some Slashdotter put it, the more you know about computers, the more nervous you are.
post #5 of 5
They need to do rigorous black box testing on it. Maybe they didn't?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider