or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Beslan terrorists were Junkies

Beslan terrorists were Junkies

post #1 of 4
According to Russia's Deputy Prosecutor writing in Medical News Today.

Some had over the lethal dose of Heroin in their systems which implies they had been addicts for a very long time and were habituated to extremely large doses.

Where does this leave the meme of the 'cold calculating terrorist follower of the religion of hate' ?

Taking drugs is unIslamic and forbidden in the Qur'an. Although (strangely) Atta and some of the other alleged 911 hijackers were also cokeheads and heavy drinkers it is known that the practice is punishable in an extreme way by al Qaeda.

And it doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd want to do before being hailed as a martyr by your maker - and do junkies want to go on suicide missions anyway ?

Even if you don't buy the religious argument that fundamentalists by definition try to obey the Qur'an ask yourself this:

would a terrorist cell allow such weakness ? One that could be manipulated by anyone let alone the intelligence services ?

Would it last long if it did ?

It also raises the spectre of whether these 'terrorists' were terrorists at all and what their true motivation was.

This will be no problem for the right-wing 'thinkers' among us (they're Muslims, they're terrorists -of course they're junkies) - but there's something not right about this.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 4
A couple of us have already said the Chechen conflict has less to do with Islam clashing with a Christian Russia but rather people fighting of freedom from what they feel to be an opressive government. The fact that many Chechens are Muslim allows the scare mongers to play on fear and the general ignorance of the situation.

[edit]Before anyone can attack me I'd like to say that what happened was tragic and in my mind an act of terrorism; however, one has to realize this action viewed through the eyes of those who carried out this act my not be viewed as 'terroris' but rather a response to the state sponsored opression. 'Freedome fighters' have employed the tactic of terrorism for quite some time as a weapon against a superior force. Need I mention the USSR's little vacation in Afghanistan? Bin Laden wasn't a terrorist then--he was a freedom fighter. What makes an individual a terrorist is perspective. How one views an event is the perspective used to define the event. Had the Russian army done something like this--there are many reprots of unsavory acts carried out by the Russians upon Chechen civilians--the act to use would not be classified as terrorism but to the Chechens perspective...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #3 of 4
After reading that, I couldn't help thinking "What if Putin saw Bush's repsonse to 9/11 and thought 'I need one of those'?" It occured to me that they didn't capture any of the theater terrorists in 2002, and only one of the Beslan terrorists. In fact, evidence is that they executed many terrorists rather than taking them alive. I remember some folks thought the FSB was behind the Moscow apartment block bombings in 1999, so maybe Putin's thought was "time for another one of those"?

I need to make myself a tinfoil hat.
post #4 of 4
We're talking about dead people here, right?

Quote:
Postmortem specimens provide less stability for a number of drugs than other types of specimens. This is particularly a problem for cocaine, heroin, and some antidepressants, antipsychotics, and benzodiazepines. A number of artifacts occur postmortem, which affects the concentration of drug in specimens. This includes postmortem redistribution for drugs with a high tissue concentration relative to blood. Consequently, the likely extent of any change in concentration is relevant to the interpretation of doses and drug effects.

TDM
BMJ
JCP
Gotta be real quick to catch that heroin before it's broken down to morphine.
And what exactly is the lethal dose?
Drinking it after dissolving in water? Well, that's a new one.

IOW they're full of shit. They claimed to have used fentanyl in that theatre too, didn't they. All 50 pounds of it.

However, there's no reason to think heroin users couldn't operate a terrorist cell as well as the next person provided they had a sufficient supply of the drug.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Beslan terrorists were Junkies