or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Iraq's doing fine -we're all safer...

Iraq's doing fine -we're all safer... - Page 3

post #81 of 124
If Kerry wins then God is working in a way that we do not yet see.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #82 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man

So how can you see that God wants Bush to win?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #83 of 124
Quote:

You sure a Kerry win doesn't mean Kerry is God's candidate? That God doesn't like Bush anymore?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #84 of 124
the Iraqi government decided just two weeks ago to finally come clean and tell the IAEA which in 2003 had warned that "terrorists might be helping 'themselves to the greatest explosives bonanza in history'" that 380 tons of high explosives had gone missing. This weekend the Iraqi minister of science and technology confirmed the story.

Then, today, Iraq's interim prime minister, Ayad Allawi, said that the recent massacre of 49 Iraqi National Guard recruits was due to the "gross negligence" of foreign troops i.e., Americans.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #85 of 124
Kerry has an anti God ticket. Look at it. He wants to create and kill humans for gosh sake!
post #86 of 124
Quote:
Kerry has an anti God ticket. Look at it. He wants to create and kill humans for gosh sake!

How does one setup the "ignore poster" feature on this site?
post #87 of 124
Quote:

And you deign to know what God wants.
post #88 of 124
Quote:

I didn't ask you that. I asked you whether a Kerry win indicates that he's God's choice.
post #89 of 124
Quote:
The President will win though, because he is God's choice.

But God doesn't play favorites.
post #90 of 124
Quote:

I think what he's trying to say is that the ultimate incest of cloning and the infanticide of partial birth abortion are right up Kerry's alley.

(FYI: Incest and infanticide come up alot as no-no's in many religions)

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #91 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

The Old Testament is full of it though s maybe the Xian fundies need to rethink.

Btw - why does God need Bush to mess with the ballot if He's chosen him ? Why doesn't he just say 'make it so' or something equally portentious.

He could even make the whole of humanity Bush supporters with a click of the finger.

I think Common Boy has a theological problem here.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #92 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I think what he's trying to say is that the ultimate incest of cloning and the infanticide of partial birth abortion are right up Kerry's alley.

And George Bush isn't exactly considering the lillies of the field every day. And he's not too big on turning the other cheek. The man would have been one of the money changers that your guy with the beard despised so much. He's politicising your Book; he's a violent liar.

If you want to choose God's candidate according to the teachings of Jesus it's not George Walker Bush.

I don't care if you are pregnant. There's no room here. The world's not fair. Get used to it. Why should I shoulder the burden for these freeloaders from Nazareth? Makes me sick.
post #93 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
And George Bush isn't exactly considering the lillies of the field every day. And he's not too big on turning the other cheek. The man would have been one of the money changers that your guy with the beard despised so much. He's politicising your Book; he's a violent liar.

If you want tp choose God's candidate according to the teachings of Jesus it's not George Walker Bush, Materialist in Chief.

Got to disagree with that - Xian fundies are not at all about Jesus.

They draw their inspiration in spirit almost exclusively from the Old Testament: anti-gay, patriarchal, warmongering, pro-Israel and on and on.....

As such Bush is the perfect icon for them. That's why he inspires such fanatical support amongst the religious nuts.

It's essential to understand that.
post #94 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Got to disagree with that - Xian fundies are not at all about Jesus.

They draw their inspiration in spirit almost exclusively from the Old Testament: anti-gay, patriarchal, warmongering, pro-Israel and on and on.....

As such Bush is the perfect icon for them. That's why he inspires such fanatical support amongst the religious nuts.

It's essential to understand that.

Quite right. But then they're not Christians at all, I guess.
post #95 of 124
Quote:
Quite right. But then they're not Christians at all, I guess.

No, they're not.

I suppose they could be termed 'neo-Judaic' or some such. Certainly they are really a Jewish sect or splinter group.

For a start they believe Jesus was the Messiah - which clearly puts them well in the frame of orthodox Judaism as the Messiah is held to come to fulfill the law.

Jesus oth clearly came to bring a new law. These fundie Xians are merely the ragtag remnants (historically speaking) of those who could not accept his new dispensation.

That's probably why they're so vehement actually - overcompensation.
post #96 of 124
Quote:
No, they're not.

I suppose they could be termed 'neo-Judaic' or some such.

That's exactly what I was about to say, but I didn't want to be misinterpreted. As, you know, anti-you-know-what.
post #97 of 124
Quote:
That's exactly what I was about to say, but I didn't want to be misinterpreted. As, you know, anti-you-know-what.

I'll take the flak then - you stay under cover
post #98 of 124
Quote:
The Old Testament is full of it though s maybe the Xian fundies need to rethink.

Btw - why does God need Bush to mess with the ballot if He's chosen him ? Why doesn't he just say 'make it so' or something equally portentious.

He could even make the whole of humanity Bush supporters with a click of the finger.

I think Common Boy has a theological problem here.

That's a bit reductionist if you ask me.

post #99 of 124
Quote:

If you want to choose God's candidate according to the teachings of Jesus it's not George Walker Bush.

I don't care if you are pregnant. There's no room here. The world's not fair. Get used to it. Why should I shoulder the burden for these freeloaders from Nazareth? Makes me sick.

Maybe I missed it, but weren't you reviling a 16-year-old on why Kerry's platform couldn't possibly include unethical postions?

post #100 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
That's a bit reductionist if you ask me.

How so ?
post #101 of 124
I don't believe a 'mortal' can penetrate the relationship between God and man fully. I think it can be done truly, but not fully. At some point, even in chain-of-being situation, you have to let go.

It's like saying "God is love" and "God made everything" but then concluding that evil exists, then believing that God is self-contradictory. Then POOF! He ceases to exist.

By definition, he is "wholly other" -- that would necessarily limit out ability to understand what He was up to.

You guys COMPLETELY FRAGGED my afternoon yesterday, so you have to content yourselves with beating up common man for a while.

post #102 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
By definition, he is "wholly other"

Exactly.

God (useful enough term - you can't even say He/She or IT in the light of the 'otherness') is all that is incomprehensible.

That's why I always find it hysterical when these 'God doesn't exist' lines get thrown around - it's essentially saying: there is nothing that is un-understandable by humans. And this is clearly false.

Ok, some humans don't understand much and we've got quite a few of them on here, but if you take logical thought to it's ultimate extension - ie the limits of human reason if we ever get there or even the limits of the universe when everything becomes completely known in x million years of our human story -then there will still be an 'unknowable' and that thing is what we call God.

Some of us. Some others just imagine a big human in the sky. A big father figure with all our built in flaws just taken to the nth degree. Us in fact, writ large.

That's the God of the Old Testament if your read it carefully,

Anyway, don't want to spoil your afternoon again

Where's CommonBoy ?
post #103 of 124
In a mass email, RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie mutters darkly that what's really going on is that liberals are trying to suggest that "U.S. troops were derelict in their duty"

Got that? We don't really care if the stuff is gone or what policy decisions led to it not being locked down in the first place. And anyone who criticizes those policy decisions is an unpatriotic opportunist who's vilifying the U.S. military and cozying up to the UN.

Pigs. I pray they lose the presidency. I pray the lose the house. I pray they lose the senate. I pray they lose everything.
post #104 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Pigs. I pray they lose the presidency. I pray the lose the house. I pray they lose the senate. I pray they lose everything.

Well said.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #105 of 124
If there is a God then surely Kerry will win.
post #106 of 124
If Bush wins becuase Bush is G-d's candidate then that immediately does away with humanity's freedom and free-will.

G-d doesn't play politics or history, unless we are completely mistaken about free will when we consider it simply . .

. . the prophetic religions are not literalizable unless they are inconsistent, or rather I should say, 'or else' they are inconsistent and contradictory . . . best to see them all as highly 'poetic' . . .

where poetry is the highest form of human utterance.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #107 of 124
BTW: tonton's sig is worth quoting:
"We distinguish the excellent man from the common man by saying that the former is the one who makes great demands on himself, and the latter who makes no demands on himself.
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #108 of 124
also BTW; Evangelicals against Bush:

Evangelical Bush dislike
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #109 of 124
pfflam, I get the feeling that you would sign off on the theology of Kant.

post #110 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
pfflam, I get the feeling that you would sign off on the theology of Kant.

I like Kant very much and have written extensively about his argument on the Ontological Proof of God.

Why do you ask?

Do you think that I believe that we must approach G-d through 'pure Reason'?
well . . . the answer is yes and no.

Yes, in order to clear the air of idiot religion (meaning: its idiot forms - fundamentalism, literalism)

and No, in order to leave open our experience to that which is other than 'Pure Reason'

But, when I was a young philosophy student I found myself trying desperately to argue against anything reasonable because I felt that there needed to be a 'space' open to the religious.
Little did I know that what I was doing was like a child having a tantrum and refusing to think straight and closing off clear ideas and reasonable discussion:
My point of departure was always that no rational thought could get at my faith . . . but what I later came to understand was that my 'faith' was pig-headed willfullness without form, only willfullness.
I was trying to be irrational rather than let well thought-out arguments take me into their understandings and let the better positions win.

When I finally allowed that, I no longer felt that I needed to discount well reasoned arguments out of some sort of vehement irrationalistic grasping of a religious presupposition, and then I found that my understanding of religion was deepened anyway . . . and that even through the most ardent Analytic Philosophies you still end up with a world that is richer by far than X=X.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #111 of 124
okay

post #112 of 124
Giuliani on the Today Show:

"The actual responsibility for it really would be for the troops that were there. Did they search carefully enough? Didn't they search carefully enough?"

Clarke on Giulliani

For President Bush to send Rudolph Giuliani out on television to say that the 'actual responsibility' for the failure to secure explosives lies with the troops is insulting and cowardly.

The President approved the mission and the priorities. Civilian leaders tell military leaders what to do. The military follows those orders and gets the job done. This was a failure of civilian leadership, first in not telling the troops to secure explosives and other dangerous materials, and second for not providing sufficient troops and sufficient equipment for troops to do the job.

President Bush sent our troops to war without sufficient body armor, without a sound plan and without sufficient forces to accomplish the mission. Our troops are performing a difficult mission with skill, bravery and determination. They deserve a commander in chief who supports them and understands that the buck stops in the Oval Office, not one who gets weak knees and shifts blame for his mistakes.
post #113 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Giuliani on the Today Show:

"The actual responsibility for it really would be for the troops that were there. Did they search carefully enough? Didn't they search carefully enough?"

Clarke on Giulliani

For President Bush to send Rudolph Giuliani out on television to say that the 'actual responsibility' for the failure to secure explosives lies with the troops is insulting and cowardly.

The President approved the mission and the priorities. Civilian leaders tell military leaders what to do. The military follows those orders and gets the job done. This was a failure of civilian leadership, first in not telling the troops to secure explosives and other dangerous materials, and second for not providing sufficient troops and sufficient equipment for troops to do the job.

President Bush sent our troops to war without sufficient body armor, without a sound plan and without sufficient forces to accomplish the mission. Our troops are performing a difficult mission with skill, bravery and determination. They deserve a commander in chief who supports them and understands that the buck stops in the Oval Office, not one who gets weak knees and shifts blame for his mistakes.

This is actually disgraceful - a new all time low and God knows, they've set enough records in that department.

Now they are not only shifting blame to the troops - troops who as you say, they hampered with insufficient resources - but actually questioning their professionality.

Unbelievable. It seems there are no lows to which they will not stoop to avoid admitting any degree of responsibility for anything.

post #114 of 124
Quote:
This is actually disgraceful - a new all time low and God knows, they've set enough records in that department.

Now they are not only shifting blame to the troops - troops who as you say, they hampered with insufficient resources - but actually questioning their professionality.

Unbelievable. It seems there are no lows to which they will not stoop to avoid admitting any degree of responsibility for anything.

Didn't Bush just yesterday criticise Kerry for blaming the fuckup on the troops? [Note: Kerry criticised the administration of incompetence, not the troops. ]

And Giuliani says this today.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds...
post #115 of 124
Quote:

Wait. So it is something to cheer when Kerry does it, and then disgraceful when a republican does it?

Kerry did it first, so didn't he set the record for all time lows.

I am confused.
post #116 of 124
Kerry didn't blame the troops.

FOX News Alert...

"... John Kerry alleged today that the earth is round."

"A spokesperson from the Bush Administration advised that the shape of the earth is still not determined, and may well not be round."

Dick Morris: "I think the backlash from the 'world is round' allegations' are going to hurt Kerry. Bush has it in the bag."
post #117 of 124
Add Ingraham and Kristol to the list, along with Giuliani.

Quote:
The Second Brigade of the 101st Airborne Division arrived outside the site on April 10, under the command of Col. Joseph Anderson. The brigade had been ordered to move quickly to Baghdad because of civil disorder there after Mr. Hussein's government fell on April 9.

They gathered at Al Qaqaa, about 30 miles south, simply as a matter of convenience, Colonel Anderson said in an interview this week. He said that when he arrived at the site - unaware of its significance - he saw no signs of looting, but was not paying close attention.

Because he thought the brigade would be moving on to Baghdad within hours, Al Qaqaa was of no importance to his mission, he said, and he was unaware of the explosives that international inspectors said were hidden inside.
post #118 of 124
DOES THIS ADMINISTRATION EVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING BAD?!?! ANYTHING? AT ALL?!
post #119 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
DOES THIS ADMINISTRATION EVER TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING BAD?!?! ANYTHING? AT ALL?!

According to Naples logic, I think only liberals need to be held accountable. Republicans, after all, are grown ups.
post #120 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter

YOU GUYS BLAME HIM FOR EVERYTHING.

Where does he start?

Does he need to do the whole "I realize by the way you are looking at me, I mast have in some way done something wrong. For this I apologize and will be in my room to think about what it was that i did." thing.

4 hurricanes in Florida, it's gotta be Bush's fault.

SH had 1 MILLION TONS of ammunition and destructive explosives in his country, Bush's fault that 100,000 troops could not guard it all while be shot at by RPGs and truck bombs.

Kids starving in Kenya, Bush's fault.

My pen just ran out of ink. Bush has to be at the bottom that.

If Bush wouldn't have given the tax cut, my wife wouldn't have cheated on me.

The quality of box sealing tape has degraded in the last few years. Yep, you guessed it. Bush.

God I hope Kerry wins.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Iraq's doing fine -we're all safer...