or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces iPod Photo

Apple introduces iPod Photo - Page 2

post #41 of 139
Well, we finally got a colour iPod when Berryl and Lynched said early 2005! Tee-Hee.

I think it looks fab.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #42 of 139
Looks like a great adition to the iPod lineup.

I'm not ready to ditch my 15gb 3G iPod yet, but when i do, it'll be the iPod Photo that i'm after. The colour interface looks excellent, and it's an excellent way to share photos easily, in a small package.

Cool.
post #43 of 139
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just stoked that they're offering a 60GB iPod at all. Finally there's something available that I'll be able to have my whole library on with some room to grow. The color screen and photo abilities are just icing on the cake. I've been waiting for this for a while.
post #44 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
No, no, that's an ADB connector!

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #45 of 139
Going to the Apple website made me think of fake, Photoshopped-up pictures that cover rumor forums all the time. Is that thing real? Very strange. I wish Apple would focus on computers as much as they focus on the "digital life." I see a new iPod on the Apple site almost as often as I visit. Now two on the same day? U2 and photo? Interesting...

While it's a nifty idea, it looks more like a toy than anything useful. Oh well...
post #46 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Digital Camera Rewiew made a very bad report of the Ipod Photo.

The ipod photo lacks a very important things : a card slot reader. It's a shame that the Ipod do not have this feature, if he had it, the Ipod photo would have been extremely usefull for all digital photographers, allowing them to back up their compact card in the Ipod Photo.

This thing just blows! I mean, who the hell is Apple marketing this thing to? They seem to be snubbing their noses at the large majority of people who either don't take pictures, take crappy pictures that no one wants to see, or has no friends to show pictures to.

Its just like Apple. The original iPod just pretended that everyone had music collections. Well, what's the point of buying one of those if you don't have a single CD, huh? And their iMac G5 assumes that you want one of those 'com-pu-ter' things. Where's the iMac for the people who don't want or need a computer, huh?

No wonder this company is going out of business....
post #47 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
This thing just blows! I mean, who the hell is Apple marketing this thing to? They seem to be snubbing their noses at the large majority of people who either don't take pictures, take crappy pictures that no one wants to see, or has no friends to show pictures to.

Its just like Apple. The original iPod just pretended that everyone had music collections. Well, what's the point of buying one of those if you don't have a single CD, huh? And their iMac G5 assumes that you want one of those 'com-pu-ter' things. Where's the iMac for the people who don't want or need a computer, huh?

i think you forgot your "sarcasm" tags.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #48 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer

this man has a mission
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #49 of 139
Seriously though, the belkin card reader.. does it add the photos to the library on the ipod photo? or just stuff it in a folder which has to be added to the album later?

It's an extremely important issue, as this is supposed to take the place of a computer for on the road picture management.

I mean, what the hell are you supposed to do with the thing if there's no way to add pictures away from a computer?
Mac user since before you were born.
post #50 of 139
FYI, I've posted some screen details here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...49#post1102249

And you'll see I've posted there an image showing the REAL (pixel) size of the screen, so you can judge how fonts and thumbnails really look... Not bad at all!
post #51 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by slughead
It's an extremely important issue, as this is supposed to take the place of a computer for on the road picture management.

No, it isn't supposed to be for picture management at all--any more than the iPod is for managing your music library.

It's for VIEWING and SHARING your library. (Management is of course easier handled on a computer screen--for photos and music alike. And contacts, calendars, notes...)

If you want to MANAGE your library with only an iPod, that's a cool idea maybe, but that's just not what the iPod Photo is for.

The iPod remains an output--not input--device. Limited input (voice, photos) is available via accessories.
post #52 of 139
That is amazing! Shame I have had my (own name engraved) iPod 4G for a month now, otherwise the 60GB woulda been the one. I'll just wait for the next incarnation (or the one after that).
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #53 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Digital Camera Rewiew made a very bad report of the Ipod Photo.

The ipod photo lacks a very important things : a card slot reader. It's a shame that the Ipod do not have this feature, if he had it, the Ipod photo would have been extremely usefull for all digital photographers, allowing them to back up their compact card in the Ipod Photo.

Apple doesn't make one, but you can buy them through the Apple store. In fact you can do it even without the iPod Photo. So I'm not sure that's a valid complaint, unless it's just the fact that it doesn't come standard. The problem with making it standard is that there are so many different camera storage media that everyone would want something different.
post #54 of 139
I've got my 60 GB on order. I may have been happier with a simple 60 GB iPod (non-photo) at $500, though.
post #55 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
No, it isn't supposed to be for picture management at all--any more than the iPod is for managing your music library.

It's for VIEWING and SHARING your library. (Management is of course easier handled on a computer screen--for photos and music alike. And contacts, calendars, notes...)

If you want to MANAGE your library with only an iPod, that's a cool idea maybe, but that's just not what the iPod Photo is for.

The iPod remains an output--not input--device. Limited input (voice, photos) is available via accessories.

How about on-the fly albums or other stuff?

iPods can do this type of stuff with audio, is the iPod Photo just a bone thrown to the "omg color screens are the end-all!"

If the belkin can't meld with the album system, basically you'd have your photos on the ipod, but there's nothing you can do with them until you find another computer to work with.

I think that's a reasonable complaint, as it sure as heck couldn't be that complicated to figure out a way to do it.

In addition, there are other devices that play video out right now! and they're the size of ipods too.
post #56 of 139
"10,000 prOn in your pocket"
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #57 of 139
Quote:
Seriously though, the belkin card reader.. does it add the photos to the library on the ipod photo? or just stuff it in a folder which has to be added to the album later?

It just puts them into a folder on your iPod. It doesn't add them to the Photo viewer, not yet.

Quote:
I mean, what the hell are you supposed to do with the thing if there's no way to add pictures away from a computer?

Look at pictures on a tiny screen, plug it into a TV or projector and look at your pictures on those devices.
post #58 of 139
\ I wonder if you could have the screen showing the album cover of the album your playing?

You know like maybe save a jpg image of the album cover and tie that into a playlist/slideshow.
Then when you play a album it will play a picture of the album cover.

Just a thought.
post #59 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by ibeetle
\ I wonder if you could have the screen showing the album cover of the album your playing?

You know like maybe save a jpg image of the album cover and tie that into a playlist/slideshow.
Then when you play a album it will play a picture of the album cover.

Just a thought.

You can.
Quote:
iPod Photo Shows Album Art, Too

When you take to the road with iPod Photo, you not only carry your music and photos with you. You also get to carry your album art. iTunes transfers it to iPod Photo along with your music and lets you view album covers in the Now Playing screen in living color, of course as you play your songs.

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/autosyncphotos.html
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed, and die, so do societies, and civilizations and government."
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed, and die, so do societies, and civilizations and government."
post #60 of 139
Quote:

Or how about:
I mean, what the hell are you supposed to do with the thing if there's no way to add music away from a computer?

How has the iPod sold at all without those abilities?

Looks like some solid entries to the line-up. The Photo iPod is thicker still then the 60GB iPod but also offers more battery life. And the U2 iPod doesn't look that bad either. Cheers to Apple for a Tuesday with a ton of updates!

Love these days.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #61 of 139
Anyone have any real world photos on the new iPods?

I've only seen 1 of the the iPod photo in the sock.

p.s. The socks aren't very functional, but they are really cool! The color combos are the bets and they'll fit my mini perfectly!
post #62 of 139
Where is the mic!!!!

Sigh.

Oh well. I have to get one to store pics of my girl on. It will keep me amused in class.

Now the mini looks REALLY out of date. It has to drop in price and jump in storage.

About the card reader: OK it needs one built in. Perhaps just the high end one. But instead of just a plain reader...why not...an expansion slot!!! And a new OS, and video playing, and it finally becomes a PDA. Add anything in. Hey, maybe even an add-on for a..phone! Like someone said, I think Apple is inching that way. They are just waiting for the iPod, cell phone, and PDA to merge. Now that I see how phones are evolving, I think Steve Jobs saw the big picture, and is executing right. Like I think amorph said, the new Apple knows how to execute. This was a good call. Except the mic grumble grumble...
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #63 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Where is the mic!!!!

built in behind the color screen. just yell at your ipod really loud as youre walking down the street.
(someone hide a video camera)
post #64 of 139
All the people out there that want a memory card reader built into the ipod are insane. How the hell is apple spose to keep the ipod as small as it is and put a memory card reader into the thing. Especially when the Belkin Media Reader works so well. I travel a lot and take a lot of pictures. I have no problem bringing the Media Reader with me. When my card is full I plug in the Media Reader and empty the card to the iPod. Also with so many different size memory cards out there which one are you spose to put on the iPod? With the Media Reader you have access to all types of cards. (which is great when traveling with friends who have different cameras, when the day is done I just upload all of their pictures to my iPod, that way they dont have to send them to me later.) The Media Reader is a GREAT accessesory and only the people that need it have to spend money on it. Versus putting one in the iPod and making everyone pay for it!!!! Dont you people understand that?

On another note....I would like to be able to view those photos that I upload to my iPod with the Media Reader...and then I'd also like to be able to sort those photos into On-The-Go photo albums on my iPod and have it sync up with iphoto and automatically add those albums to my photo library in my computer when I get home.

I think this is a nice first step for the iPod Photo. I recently just purchased a new 40gig iPod and will be content with it right up to the point that Apple comes out with their second generation iPod Photo next year at which time I WILL be happy to purchase.
-Adam
-Adam
post #65 of 139
Yeah, I agree that an integrated mic would be great and make them soooo much more useful in business and school without much cost in price or space ... but krikey ... all of the other bellyaching by the latter day Ray Atkeson's is just a bit much. If Belken could make a FW or USB adaptor to hook the iPod right to a camera, they would have done it so far. I don't want to pay for that standard.

Hopefully all of these will be just more accessories or maybe as iPod Photo Pro's. I think/hope this is just the beginning of innovation for the division that has really only just recently seperated ever so slightly from the mothership.

For those who hate the black and red U2 pod, wait until REM gets a brown/gold one and the Stones get a black and silver one! You guys seem to think this is the end of the story when its just the beginning.

I wouldn't mind the phone thing being a small clip-0n thing at the bottom either. I still like pda's for keeping track of expenses and for some of the gimicky apps and databases. Hope iPod keeps going that way too!

And to those who think the iPod photo misses the mark...why are you so upset? They didn't stop making the other ones, did they?

PS I think we will be seeing that the form factor of a 8-10" screen subnotebook is a profitable form factor....basically a big iPod that runs OSX and with all the inputs the pro-photographer wannabees need!
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #66 of 139
Another thought on why we dont need some sort of adapter to plug digital cameras right into the ipod....MORE CORDS! if its one thing I hate traveling with, its a bunch of cords...Always getting tangled in my bag, dangling everywhere. the Belkin Media Reader is perfect! small and compact, no cords hanging anywhere easily fits into the side pocket of my bag. Its clean and hassle free!

Geez I just realized that it may sound like I work for Belkin the way I'm going on about the Media Reader. Well I don't! I just use mine ALL the time and have found it to be as important when traveling as the iPod itself.
-Adam
-Adam
post #67 of 139
I will wait for the prices to drop over the next few revisions and the feature list to mature a bit. I am content with my 10GB iPod until then.

This is the first iPod product that has caught my attention since the 3G iPod. Good show.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #68 of 139
This iPod is perfect for me. I couldn't have asked for anything more, except direct photo download and stereo recording.

I definitely wanted photo viewing.

I definitely wanted 60GB capacity.

I definitely wanted longer battery life.

Album art is nice, as is color solitaire (I play solitaire on my iPod all the time when I commute).

My $600 is spent.
post #69 of 139
You still can't put photo's on directly from your camera whilst on the move?

You still need a Belkin jumbo card reader thingy?

Still can't stick in a replacement battery pack?

Well it's an improvement but I'll be waiting a bit longer.
post #70 of 139
Here's something I've always wanted on the ipod and seems appropriate now:

A camera accessory!

just a simple thing, 640x480, snaps on like the media reader, maybe saves to a new iphoto album named for the date or something

potential obstacle I can think of - is there enough communication between an accessory like that and the ipod to show a viewfinder on main screen at a reasonable frame rate? And you would need special software to get the ipod to act as a viewfinder at all.

Or just an old-fashioned window in the body of the attachment itself, and you hold the ipod up to your face (although people have been spoiled by camera phones and holding digital cams at arm's length). Take a pic and it dumps it to the ipod drive like the media reader. View it later.

Maybe no one would care about this since camera phones are cheap now. It might go over well in Japan where even Gameboys had this kind of snap-on camera over 10 years ago (and a portable printer for it too)
post #71 of 139
At first I didn't understand what you were saying, but now I get it. And it seems cool.

Imagine a size the exact shape and size of the Griffin iTalk, but it has a shutter release button on it, and perhaps even a very small optical viewfinder and even a flash! Click. The image is saved to a special photo gallery on the iPod for future downloading to iPhoto when you sync.
post #72 of 139
The only disappointing thing for me--and this doesn't have anything to do with the new iPods--is that they didn't make marginal price reductions on the white iPod line.

But as for the new products, they look great even if beyond my price bracket!
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
post #73 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by Retrograde
The only disappointing thing for me--and this doesn't have anything to do with the new iPods--is that they didn't make marginal price reductions on the white iPod line.

Yeah but they dropped the prices significantly (25% and 20%)when the click wheel iPods were introduced just three months ago.

The Mini is due for a drop.
post #74 of 139
And the drift towards convergence continues.

Remember the Newton. Apple was years ahead of the market with that one. I'm sure Apple's brain trust came up with the cell phone-video cam-MP3 player-PDA-pocket mass storage device years ago - and all the pieces connected wirelessly. The problem with releasing such a device is it would cost a lot and be considered very complex by today's market. "Who wants something like that? It's so complicated. And $3000? No way."

Apple has taken the right approach with the iPod. Simplify the user interface to the point where the "average" person is comfortable with the device. See how the market responds - in the iPod's case, VERY well. Wait a couple years for users to get comfortable and then *BAM* add another level of features/complexity (photos).

Other manufacturers have released "better" devices in the past, but Apple has coupled their device with really great software - iTunes, iTMS, iPhoto.

- Jasen.
post #75 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Yeah but they dropped the prices significantly (25% and 20%)when the click wheel iPods were introduced just three months ago.

The Mini is due for a drop.

Actually...nothing is due for a drop until demand begins to level off a tad.

Expect drops (and perhaps the rumored new flash-based $149 pod) AFTER Christmas. Look at the Mini intro as a model. Apple is set for the holiday season me-thinks. Furthermore don't expect them to drop prices right away...maybe February/March to avoid any "30 day price guarantee" issues.
post #76 of 139
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt C.
so other than copyright issues, what are the chanes of seeing video on an ipod?

Don't know, but having this screen or a derivative of it in a future iPod would be one more step closer.

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...ceSolutionNews
post #77 of 139
Ordered mine yesterday night and got "1-2 weeks" shipping, but it shipped this morning!

Joy!

P.S. My $.02...Apple is burrowing the iPod deeper into your private life. First your music, your way. Now your pictures your way.

Are you a proud parent? Much of Apple's target demograhpic is. Are you a Echo Boomer who wants to keep the memories they create with them all the time? There's the rest of Apple's consumer demo. Either way - f-'n fuhgetaboudit!!!

iPod is getting more personal, and that's a good thing for Apple.
post #78 of 139
Quote:
Are you a proud parent? Much of Apple's target demograhpic is. Are you a Echo Boomer who wants to keep the memories they create with them all the time?

Right on with this point. As the iPod slowly becomes your digital wallet of sorts it will begin to add features. But it did need a starting point to branch off from. And as the first model to include color screen and some photo organization it is a good first step. Now when you get back from traveling Europe on your honeymoon and want to show the parents your photos. you can just load up your iPod when you go to visit them and now you've got a wonderfull slide show for them to see on their tv.
-Adam
-Adam
post #79 of 139
I have to agree that I only see iPod getting bigger (more features rather than physical) as time goes on. I have also commented several times to friends and family that its a *pod* not a music player - it's portable access to your information/files.

I'd love to be able to record TV programs with the iPod, although the way it's going I don't see that happening (with it for listening to music, viewing iCal dates, address', pictures), so maybe an iapp for recording TV.

And I don't care for Steve Jobs' comments about computers never integrating with TV and that side of things, becuase he's done it with music, and he'll continue to do it to every other medium... As long as he does it as good as this, I'm all for it!
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #80 of 139
They are now shipping too, my wife's shipped today from China:

Wife's iPod Photo shipped
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces iPod Photo