or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Here come the Terror Alerts™!! Study says they Up ratings

Here come the Terror Alerts™!! Study says they Up ratings

post #1 of 7
I don't know if you guys caught this article on a study done at Cornell University about how Terror warnings up approval ratings.
Quote:
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - When the government issues a terror warning, the president's approval rating increases an average of nearly three points, a Cornell University sociologist says.

"The social theories predict it, and anecdotally we know it to be true. Now we have statistical science to confirm it," said Robb Willer, assistant director of Cornell's Sociology and Small Groups Laboratory.

On average, a terror warning prompted a 2.75 point increase in President George Bush (news - web sites)'s approval rating the following week, said Willer, who published his study in Current Research in Social Psychology, a peer-reviewed online journal.

Going out on a limb here (yeah right) but I predict Drudge and/or Fox pushing any story through the echo chamber that could potentially be viewed as a threat in the next few days. Anything to try to get the cute colors to change.

Conspiracy? Nah. More like Modus Operandi.

Fixed Linky
Apologies and thanks for pointing out the bad link.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
Going out on a limb here (yeah right) but I predict Drudge and/or Fox pushing any story through the echo chamber that could potentially be viewed as a threat in the next few days.

Bingo - and they're off.

Drudge FUD

Quote:
In the last week before the election, ABCNEWS is holding a videotaped message from a purported al Qaeda terrorist warning of a new attack on America, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The terrorist claims on tape the next attack will dwarf 9/11. "The streets will run with blood," and "America will mourn in silence" because they will be unable to count the number of the dead. Further claims: America has brought this on itself for electing George Bush who has made war on Islam by destroying the Taliban and making war on Al Qaeda.

You got to love that 'America has brought this on itself for electing George Bush' line.

And what about this classic later in the article:

Quote:
The terrorist's face is concealed by a headdress, and he speaks in an American accent, making it difficult to identify the individual.

Btw Gilsch your original link above is an email tag.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #3 of 7
The CIA says they're not concerned , because there's no way to date the recording, there's no specific threat, and the guy has a Californian accent.

Drudge speculates that it's this scary-looking dude, apparently because he both has an California accent and is on the FBI's list (I guess the confluence of those categories is 1):
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
I don't know if you guys caught this article on a study done at Cornell University about how Terror warnings up approval ratings. Going out on a limb here (yeah right) but I predict Drudge and/or Fox pushing any story through the echo chamber that could potentially be viewed as a threat in the next few days. Anything to try to get the cute colors to change.

Conspiracy? Nah. More like Modus Operandi.

Fixed Linky
Apologies and thanks for pointing out the bad link.

(an off-topic aside)

I hate the use of "to up" as a verb. There's no such thing, and it's a somewhat recent phenomenon. Are people too lazy to use "raise" or (in this instance) "heighten"?
post #5 of 7
I'm surprised the terror wasn't ratched up (correct usage ) by a factor of 10. We've hardly seen anything so far - this Drudge effort is a real lame attempt.

I could have sworn they'd do it. How long have they left ? Day before is too late imo - unless they have something else up their sleeve or the election's all done and dusted somehow.
post #6 of 7
I think liberals and progressive have been banginig the FUD drum for so long that it has forced the GOP to re-think it's blatant misuse of the terror alert system.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
(an off-topic aside)

I hate the use of "to up" as a verb. There's no such thing, and it's a somewhat recent phenomenon. Are people too lazy to use "raise" or (in this instance) "heighten"?

I think it's more along the lines of abbreviating something to "fit" a headline in this case. But you're right. It sounds awful aswell doesn't it?

I think the video Drudge is pushing, is aiming at raising the "terror level" thingy. Boo!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Here come the Terror Alerts™!! Study says they Up ratings