or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Osama's back.....

Osama's back..... - Page 4

post #121 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
As opposed to the "tough-guy", "incompetently invade the wrong country and create a haven for terrorists in the bloody aftermath" approach that the other half supports?

You did read the whole post, no?

I was not trashing either side.
post #122 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Really? By whom?

It's common netiquette, hotlinking pictures like that saps bandwidth for that user who then has to deal with hundreds more people having the load that image off their server. Granted, a lot of people don't care about this, and even many people who preach it don't necessarily always follow through, and also, you linked from starwars.com which I'm sure has more than its share of bandwidth, as they likely have a very high daily traffic. BUT generally if you have web space, it's a courtesy to host images off your own space rather than use others.

think of it this way, how would you feel if someone on fark or /. linked an image from your site, it got a million hits, causing you to either have to pay heinous bandwidth charges, or forcing your site off-line for an indefinite period of time, because of the constant bandwidth drainage.

I thought you were a web designer or something, shouldn't you know this?
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #123 of 129
In fact, it reminded me to check my logs and lo and behold, someone was hotlinking an image I have on one of my sites. I had a few hundred hits on just that image every day for the past couple of days because someone posted it in a forum.
post #124 of 129
Quote:
Come on, man. Snap out of it.

CC do you feel the same about Kerry and his insults on those that were protecting your freedoms? Ok so I don't know where you hail from... How about the attacks on all soldiers over the Abu-Graib mess? How about the insults on our black population that assume that they are too stupid to figure out an election ballot? How about the insults that you spew at those who disagree with you or who are on the other side of the political or ideological isle? How about we talk about the litany of insults thrown at the President of the United States, George W. Bush? These are all in the same category, no?

I hope you also express your outrage at those and the many more insulting circumstances. I anxiously await the plethora of new threads on those topics...

In the meantime, I will reply to the question that underlies your angry (and misdirected IMO) post, Namely:

I'm not buying into your game of dodge and weave. You'll have to go play with someone else.

Quote:
"What is your proof that 9/11 is forgotten or swept under the rug?" (My interpretation)

Look at the news coverage, look at this election. Roughly half of the US population (extrapolated from likely voters) buy into the "kinder gentler" "global test" approach to the WOT as opposed to GWB's approach. I am not implying that either approach is wrong, just that it seems that half of America would rather focus on blaming Bush for the world's woes.

Bush is human, and as such he is prone to mistakes. Much like the rest of us. So I am not certain that blaming him for the reduction in fresh water pigmy shrimp will do anything about terrorism, which is, if you're honest, THE REAL ISSUE of our day.

Well let me tell you what I see when I look at your country. I see a population that has been deeply affected by a very great tragedy. I see a population that is divided as to how to deal with the causes of that tragedy and it's consequences. What I don't see is a population who has forgotten or who desires to sweep it all under the carpet. If those people do exist, they must be very, very rare because I don't recall ever noticing any of them. When people blame Bush I do not see this as indicating they have forgotten 9/11 or that they seek to trivialize it. When people attack Kerry's approach, I do not see them as having forgotten 9/11 or trying to sweep it under the rug.

I do not see you or dmz or Trumpty or SDW or Scott as having forgotten 9/11 anymore than I see bunge or giant or midwinter or Akumulator or pfflam doing so. I do not see either the right or the left as having some sort of monopoly on the memory of what happened or on the depth of their feeling about the events of 9/11.

I see, for all the difference in your views, a bunch of people who have been equally traumatized by an unspeakable act of violence.

Perhaps you should spend some time asking yourself why you don't see that too.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #125 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot
It's common netiquette, hotlinking pictures like that saps bandwidth for that user who then has to deal with hundreds more people having the load that image off their server. Granted, a lot of people don't care about this, and even many people who preach it don't necessarily always follow through, and also, you linked from starwars.com which I'm sure has more than its share of bandwidth, as they likely have a very high daily traffic. BUT generally if you have web space, it's a courtesy to host images off your own space rather than use others.

think of it this way, how would you feel if someone on fark or /. linked an image from your site, it got a million hits, causing you to either have to pay heinous bandwidth charges, or forcing your site off-line for an indefinite period of time, because of the constant bandwidth drainage.

I thought you were a web designer or something, shouldn't you know this?

Of course, I realize this as I work for an Internet provider. We are a small yet growing one and this has never even come up in conversations as it is really not an issue.

Now if you are worried about www.starwars.com don't. It would take 1M new people to hit it at the exact same time to cause bad things as a result of dling that pic. In which case it would take 44,000 minutes to serve all of them, of course the picture would just timeout in most cases. Assuming they are hooked to a T3.

But let's say a million people hit that picture over an day's time, that's 3,888,000,000,000 bits of info or 3.8 trillion bites. Anyway... the chances of getting 1M people to visit the same site in the same day for the first time is very slim.

Most browsers cache images so you may only download that picture once despite visiting the same page/site 100's of times.

But hey, I will make a link.
post #126 of 129
Quote:
Of course, I realize this as I work for an Internet provider. We are a small yet growing one and this has never even come up in conversations as it is really not an issue.

Now if you are worried about www.starwars.com don't. It would take 1M new people to hit it at the exact same time to cause bad things as a result of dling that pic. In which case it would take 44,000 minutes to serve all of them, of course the picture would just timeout in most cases. Assuming they are hooked to a T3.

But let's say a million people hit that picture over an day's time, that's 3,888,000,000,000 bits of info or 3.8 trillion bites. Anyway... the chances of getting 1M people to visit the same site in the same day for the first time is very slim.

Most browsers cache images so you may only download that picture once despite visiting the same page/site 100's of times.

But hey, I will make a link.

As I said, in this particular instance it doesn't matter.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #127 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
I do not see you or dmz or Trumpty or SDW or Scott as having forgotten 9/11 anymore than I see bunge or giant or midwinter or Akumulator or pfflam doing so. I do not see either the right or the left as having some sort of monopoly on the memory of what happened or on the depth of their feeling about the events of 9/11.

I see, for all the difference in your views, a bunch of people who have been equally traumatized by an unspeakable act of violence.

Perhaps you should spend some time asking yourself why you don't see that too.

Nor do most people in PO. I would have to say that most here seem to be up on world affairs. But I stated no such monopoly.

I am stating what I have observed. I know that you question my sanity/knowledge/intellect/insert-whatever-here, but the fact remains I live here. I see people everyday that want to forget 9/11. We are a lazy lot here in the US. If we have pain we take a pill, if we have a craving for something we trot down to the local 7/11 and get some. If we don't like our bodies we get a boob job or a penis implant. If we don't like reality we blame someone in charge. If memories are bad we just don't talk about them.

Just like my previous post, I do not attribute these traits to everyone. But, that does not mean it isn't a trend. Let's not blow this out of proportion, OK?
post #128 of 129
NaplesX,

It's a choice of principle. On principle, you shouldn't hot link.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #129 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
NaplesX,

It's a choice of principle. On principle, you shouldn't hot link.

I changed it to a link. I really didn't think about it when I posted it, bit I have now changed it.

Cool?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Osama's back.....