or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Osama's back.....

Osama's back..... - Page 2

post #41 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
These are the facts. Bush is Commander in Chief. He did not send enough troops to "win" in Iraq. In fact they should never have been there because they should have been in Afghanistan. He waited two months to even START looking for Osama. These are facts. How can you support Bush foreign policy with facts like these? dmz, et al, there is no room.

Winning Iraq? I don't happen to think that your garden variety Muslim is up to the task of 'Western Democracy' (which may be a self-contraadictory term) -- not because they are stupid, but because for them counting noses DOES NOT CONFER AUTHORITY. This was tried in Viet Nam and did not work for the very same reasons -- it took a semi-religious figure in Ho Chi Mihn to rally the Buddists. Also, Bush frelled up in Iraq by underestimating his opponent, and his ability to fade into the background.

It took two months to get the SF into Afghanistan handing out $100 bills (or what ever it took to get enough help moving in the same direction.) The SF guys where getting off planes in China within a day or two of the 9/11 attacks IIRC.

(If Bush wanted oil he could have played the sancitons/kickback game the same way as France, Russia, and China.)

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #42 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
(If Bush wanted oil he could have played the sancitons/kickback game the same way as France, Russia, and China.)

A "closer to home" example would've been Cheney/Halliburton doing business with Iran illegally.

I ask you AGAIN, because you didn't/couldn't reply before.
Care to expand on those Moore talking pointS, plural, that Osama "hit"?Otherwise I'll just take it as you talking out of your ...
post #43 of 129
quicky -- the Saudi thing and the School thing.

I gotta go I'm getting on a plane to Oakland shortly! Bye! May they'll have wifi at the hotel.

HEY EVERYBODY I'M MAKING THE FRELLING PILGRIMAGE TO CUPERTINO!!!

shit, what am I saying.

bye

post #44 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
What's going on mostly in this thread is people who've already decided that Bush is a Bad Thing getting worried that stupid people (there are a lot of them out there, and some of them vote) will see the OBL video and irrationally panic and run for the illusory safety of Dubya.

Here's one example from this thread:

Quote:
sigh* .....just when I had moved from the "undecided" column into the Kerry column.

Quote:
That if Bin Laden would much rather have Kerry in office, it's obvious that he feels his life would be considerably easier under Kerry than under Bush.

I don't particularly want Bin Laden's life to be easier.

(linking here is allowed by now.. eh?)
post #45 of 129
If Kerry can convince the people that Bush has made blunders and one of the major one's is not capturing/killing bin Laden in favor of going to Iraq, then this may not be so bad for Kerry after all.

Quote:
"I regret that when George Bush had the opportunity in Afghanistan at Tora Bora, he didn't choose to use American forces to hunt down and kill Osama bin Laden."

"He outsourced the job to Afghan warlords. I would never have done that. I think it was an enormous mistake, and we're paying the price for that today," he said.

Kerry also said that he believes he can "run a more effective war on terror than George Bush."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...day/index.html
post #46 of 129
It hard to argue about this when OBL did everything but hold a Kerry Edwards sign.

I think he got the DNC talking points.
post #47 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
It hard to argue about this when OBL did everything but hold a Kerry Edwards sign.

Honestly, does this matter? He could get up and recite Shakespear and I wouldn't decide that it was bad literature. Osama alive is nothing but a complete failure by the Bush administration.

I think Kerry laid off the topic of Osama because he was afraid of an October surprise; that being a dead Osama. He's got four days to capitalize on confirmation of the biggest failure of Bush's presidency.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #48 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Honestly, does this matter? He could get up and recite Shakespear and I wouldn't decide that it was bad literature. Osama alive is nothing but a complete failure by the Bush administration.

I think Kerry laid off the topic of Osama because he was afraid of an October surprise; that being a dead Osama. He's got four days to capitalize on confirmation of the biggest failure of Bush's presidency.

What about the whole idea that the October surprise would be a sudden announcement of his capture, being that they had him in custody all this time?

Where is that rise in the terror alert? Even after this?

Were you wrong about Bush? Are you willing to admit it?

I am sure your answer is no.
post #49 of 129
Quote:

If Osama sends out a video saying 2+2=4, do we change all of our kids' text books to say 2+2=3 or 2+2=5 just to show Osama who's in charge, and to show the world we're "tough on terrorism"?

Call it a "DNC talking point" as much as you like, it's a damning truth about Bush that he sat there listening to kids read "My Pet Goat" when he should have been taking decisive action. Whether Michael Moore, Osama bin Laden, or the Easter Bunny says it, it's still true.

Shall we spite ourselves by re-electing an awful President just to spite Osama?
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #50 of 129
Quote:
What about the whole idea that the October surprise would be a sudden announcement of his capture, being that they had him in custody all this time?

I'm not sure I follow. I don't think the Bush administration would have said that Osama had been held for weeks or months. If they pulled him out of a hat they would have said they caught him yesterday and no one would have been the wiser.

Did anyone think the surprise was going to be that Osama had been held for a long time? I think the answer to that is no.
post #51 of 129
Assuming the tape is real, I think Bin Laden's trying to have it both ways.

1. If Bush wins, he can point to the American President as conducting his "crusade" against Islamic countries.

2. If Kerry wins, he will take credit for influencing the U.S. election, then continue with Point #1.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #52 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
Call it a "DNC talking point" as much as you like, it's a damning truth about Bush that he sat there listening to kids read "My Pet Goat" when he should have been taking decisive action. Whether Michael Moore, Osama bin Laden, or the Easter Bunny says it, it's still true.

No, it's not.

The first thing you're taught when handling a security portfolio is to never react suddenly in public when presented with crucial information. I imagine Bush has had this drilled into him, since he's always got a camera pointed at him.

If Bush was the complete idiot a lot of people think he is, he would have leapt from the chair and tried to be some sort of political superman.

And the footage of the U.S. President panicking over terrorism would have been far worse.

I think he should have excused himself earlier, but when someone told me on the morning of Sept. 11 that a plane had struck a building in New York, I didn't get the significance of it at first either.
post #53 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
I think he should have excused himself earlier, but when someone told me on the morning of Sept. 11 that a plane had struck a building in New York, I didn't get the significance of it at first either.

Well you weren't privy to as much of the information as Bush was prior to the event.
post #54 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Well you weren't privy to as much of the information as Bush was prior to the event.

And he's not the president.
post #55 of 129
edit: nevermind. I'm sick of responding to stupid posts.

edit 2: Maybe someone can explain to me why this tape helps bush. I honestly don't understand why it would help bush to have the US' #1 enemy resurface, thus reinforcing how bush admin policies let him escape and live free while we wasted our attention, energy and resources on a war for a WMD threat that didn't exist.
post #56 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by giant

It was about Frank777 being Canadian, wasn't it?
post #57 of 129
it's a nice way to divert attention from the explosives scandal. they were screwed today at the pentagon briefing, they didn't know what the hell they were saying.

they put out two guys, one of them a solider that when asked did he see IAEA seals keept talkinh about how he got recruited, the other supposedly a special advisor to the department of defence, kept repeating two very interesting phrases (said them over 50 times) :

1. "we don't know..."

2. "we are trying to learn better...".

no wonder kerry says they have no clue what is going on in Iraq (point 1), and they also do not know how to handle the war and the peace in Iraq (point 2).

I actually expected this, as the US government had a copy of the tape before it was broadcasted in Al-Jazeera, which leads me to believe that they had the tape for God know how long, and were saving it for one of their big scandals, which they, obviously, did.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #58 of 129
Quote:

That defeats the whole point of coming to AI in the first place.
post #59 of 129
Quote:
edit 2: Maybe someone can explain to me why this tape helps bush. I honestly don't understand why it would help bush to have the US' #1 enemy resurface, thus reinforcing how bush admin policies let him escape and live free while we wasted our attention, energy and resources on a war for a WMD threat that didn't exist.

You could see this as you see it. "Hmm Osama. Yeah isn´t that the guy Bush said he would get? Wasn´t he the one who did the 911 thing? Oh yeah. Why the hell is he still able to make videos ridiculing us? What a douchbag president we have"

Or you could react like this "Osama. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh. Hidehidehide. Protectprotectprotect. Bombbombbomb anything. Please where is my father so he can protect me?"

Two logical reactions. One on a intellectual level, the other on a emotional level. I believe people more often react emotional. I know I do.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #60 of 129
Interesting. I've really always struggled with understanding how large groups of people think, particularly WRT to emotional motivations.

edit: cut out my waxing philosophic that I doubt anyone cares about.
post #61 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
You could see this as you see it. "Hmm Osama. Yeah isn´t that the guy Bush said he would get? Wasn´t he the one who did the 911 thing? Oh yeah. Why the hell is he still able to make videos ridiculing us? What a douchbag president we have"

Or you could react like this "Osama. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh. Hidehidehide. Protectprotectprotect. Bombbombbomb anything. Please where is my father so he can protect me?"

Two logical reactions. One on a intellectual level, the other on a emotional level. I believe people more often react emotional. I know I do.

I don't believe in the fear factor here.

I don't think that many people are scared to know that OBL is still alive, they are scared that Alquaeda is still alive, and nobody believed that Al Quaeda is dead.

I think that this video is bad for Bush, it show that he was not able to punish the man that ordered 9/11 : it's a provocation for Bush, but it's essentially a provocation for US
post #62 of 129
Quote:
Assuming the tape is real, I think Bin Laden's trying to have it both ways.

1. If Bush wins, he can point to the American President as conducting his "crusade" against Islamic countries.

2. If Kerry wins, he will take credit for influencing the U.S. election, then continue with Point #1.

When did he ever take credit for influencing Spain ?

I think your #2 can safely be struck off.

#1 doesn't fly either come to think of it - OBL says quite clearly in the tape that it is US froeign policy that is the cause of any previous or future attacks, regardless of the POTUS.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #63 of 129
Quote:

What a load. He's the President of the United States not a regular Canadian citizen. I think there's a little bit of a difference there responsibility wise don't you think? Get real.

One plane had already hit the world's most important financial center,which Bush already knew about, and you're telling us that when they told Bush a second plane had hit the other tower the best thing to do was to remain calm, and stay put and go ahead with the photo-op? Please.

I'd like to think the secret service kicked into a higher gear, began considering all possibilities and making the necessary calls after the first plane hit. When the second one hit, the obvious thing to do would have been to tell the Prez and then he should've at the very least excused himself and grabbed his phone.

Excusing himself should've been the least of his concerns. "The President needs to take this call, please excuse me"......simple.
This is the Commander in Chief, give me a break.
post #64 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
What a load. He's the President of the United States not a regular Canadian citizen. I think there's a little bit of a difference there responsibility wise don't you think? Get real.

One plane had already hit the world's most important financial center,which Bush already knew about, and you're telling us that when they told Bush a second plane had hit the other tower the best thing to do was to remain calm, and stay put and go ahead with the photo-op? Please.

I'd like to think the secret service kicked into a higher gear, began considering all possibilities and making the necessary calls after the first plane hit. When the second one hit, the obvious thing to do would have been to tell the Prez and then he should've at the very least excused himself and grabbed his phone.

Excusing himself should've been the least of his concerns. "The President needs to take this call, please excuse me"......simple.
This is the Commander in Chief, give me a break.

They knew that planes had been hijacked way before the planes hit.

Frank's argument hinges on the disinfo that the first realisation was during the goat-reading,

It wasn't.
post #65 of 129
It has been awhile since I looking at the Sept. 11 timeline, and I honestly can't remember.
Was Bush informed of the hijacking prior to stepping into the classroom?
post #66 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius

Not according to Clarke, who I take as the high authority on this.
post #67 of 129
Quote:
Not according to Clarke, who I take as the high authority on this.

Well, for you and Frank from Timeline.net

Quote:
8:21 a.m.: Betty Ong, a flight attendant on American Airlines Flight 11, calls Vanessa Minter at American Airlines reservations from the seatback phone. "She said two flight attendants had been stabbed, one was on oxygen," said the manager on duty. "A passenger had his throat slashed and looked dead and they had gotten into the cockpit." She identifies the seats of the hijackers and confirms that the plane is descending.

So that's confirmation of hijack and murder at 8:21.

8:25 a.m.: Boston air traffic control notified several air traffic control centers that a hijack is in progress with American Airlines Flight 11.

It's official 4 minutes later.

8:32 a.m.: Bushs motorcade leaves The Colony Beach and Tennis Resort on Longboat Key, Florida for Emma E. Booker Elementary School in Sarasota.

7 Minutes later Bush sets out (11 minutes after the first message).

8:46:26 a.m.: American Airlines Flight 11 impacts the north side of the North Tower.

14 minutes after hijacking is confirmed.

8:51 a.m.: Bush arrives at Emma E. Booker Elementary School.

19 minutes after hijacking is confirmed. 5 mins after plane hits tower.

Btw - Bush claims to have seen this plane hit tower on TV as it happened. It wasn;t on TV then and he was in the motorcade.

9:02:54 a.m.: Second Plane hits.

30 minutes after hijacking is confirmed. 16 mins after first plane hits tower.

9:05 a.m.: Andrew Card walks up to Bush while he is listening to Goat Story

Bush was told 33 minutes and two planes after hijacking confirmed.

Either he knew before Card told him in class (I would think he would have been told in the motorcade) or there's a problem.
post #68 of 129
Quote:
When did he ever take credit for influencing Spain ?

I think your #2 can safely be struck off.

#1 doesn't fly either come to think of it - OBL says quite clearly in the tape that it is US froeign policy that is the cause of any previous or future attacks, regardless of the POTUS.

I think Frank777 is about right about both #1 and #2, and you are correct in that Osama says it is ultimately about foreign policy.

He is an intelligent guy, and certainly taking lessons from GWB. What he does is to let each group of people hear a message tailored for them. All he has to do is to include both anti-neocon and anti-liberal points in his speech, and the US news orgs will pick up the ones that suit their respective agendas. The GWB administration uses the same tactic with the likes of Fox News. If some news shows them wrong or doesn't fit their agenda, they will just issue a contradicting statement without evidence right after the real news surface - it can be something they later dismiss as casual theorizing - yet it is the latter news that Fox picks up.
post #69 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
I think Frank777 is about right about both #1 and #2, and you are correct in that Osama says it is ultimately about foreign policy.

He is an intelligent guy, and certainly taking lessons from GWB. What he does is to let each group of people hear a message tailored for them. All he has to do is to include both anti-neocon and anti-liberal points in his speech, and the US news orgs will pick up the ones that suit their respective agendas. The GWB administration uses the same tactic with the likes of Fox News. If some news shows them wrong or doesn't fit their agenda, they will just issue a contradicting statement without evidence right after the real news surface - it can be something they later dismiss as casual theorizing - yet it is the latter news that Fox picks up.

A great analysis, I think you may have something here.

The Islamists certainly do seem to have adopted a policy of 'copying' the US - from Abu Ghraib jumpsuits to the adoption of this 'freedom' line which is something OBL has never utilised before.

I'm still not 100% on this tape though. They've been proved to have faked them before. Looks more genuine than not though,
post #70 of 129
Quote:

Who are "they" in this post? Air control or the president?
post #71 of 129
Quote:

Actually what he has done has gone a long way to support Bush. Without Osama Bush wouldn't have 911 to lean on for support of his programs.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #72 of 129
Quote:
Who are "they" in this post? Air control or the president?

People who are charged with protecting the citizens. Specifically I suppose you have to say NORAD.

Air control passed the information on to NORAD as they were required to do. Whether NORAD had any duty to pass this on to the SS or the President I don't know.

But you'd like to think they did wouldn't you ?
post #73 of 129
Quote:

Because as stupid as Bush is he knows it's too late for something like that.
post #74 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac
Because as stupid as Bush is he knows it's too late for something like that.

I'm not sure Bush is stupid.

At any rate his advisors and back-room staff certainly aren't.
post #75 of 129
Quote:
People who are charged with protecting the citizens. Specifically I suppose you have to say NORAD.

Air control passed the information on to NORAD as they were required to do. Whether NORAD had any duty to pass this on to the SS or the President I don't know.

But you'd like to think they did wouldn't you ?

I'm sure the Prez of the USA is briefed on what to do in case of an emergency, or a potential emergency.

You (his people) call the Pentagon. The Pentagon calls Norad. After the first plane hit there should've been immediate ongoing contact with the Pentagon/Rummy or Rice. Anything unusual about it? Do we have any idea how it happened? Terrorism? Bin Laden? (<--- remember the August 6th PDB?)

If that timeline is correct, Bush should've been rushed to the secure location if not AF1 and not continued on with the photo-op.
post #76 of 129
Quote:

If George Bush had done his job you wouldn't have had this golden opportunity to be a dick.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #77 of 129
An update on the Bush rules of engagement. From AFP ...

Quote:
Speaking to reporters outside the campaign rally here, White House communications director Dan Bartlett said that the tape should not affect the way Bush campaigns but that Kerry should have marked a 12-hour truce.

"You would think that there would be a, maybe, 12 hours to let the American absorb what has just happened today," he said.

Prodded on why, if the tape ought not to affect the campaign, Kerry should have stopped criticizing the president, Bartlett revised his statement, saying that the problem was that Kerry's attack had been "discredited."

There's nothing, it seems, they won't game. These people are un-fucking-believable. 12 hour moratorium. Fuck you!
post #78 of 129
I saw Kerry and Bush come down from each their planes and say almost the exact same thing in the same order at CNN. If you have access to the online video at CNN try check it out. There is no doubt that one called the other and agreed to do it that way.
post #79 of 129
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
An update on the Bush rules of engagement. From AFP ...

[/size]

There's nothing, it seems, they won't game. These people are un-fucking-believable. 12 hour moratorium. Fuck you! [/B]

Unbelievable.

There was this Bush aide type guy on the BBC yesterday just after the news broke of the tape who tried this classic piece of BS:

"Osama wanted to do what he did in Spain at the US elections - because he couldn't he had to send this message, It was the best he could do.

Therefore we are winning the WOT and this tape represents an awesome victory (his words) because al-Qaeda has been neutralised and all tey can do is send tapes rather than bombs. This proves we are winning the WOT."

Pathetic

post #80 of 129
A VOTE FOR JOHN KERRY IS A VOTE FOR OSAMA BIN LADEN!

They mean it. They imply it. They insist you to believe it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Osama's back.....