or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › UN Day, but not in Texas!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UN Day, but not in Texas!

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
It's UN day, but not here inTexas. Our Gov had the guts to tell the UN to stuff it. Good for him.

"Republican Gov. Rick Perry refused to honor United Nations Day, even as President Bush signed a U.N. proclamation, because doing so would be inconsistent with the governor's views, his spokeswoman said.

In his proclamation, Bush had urged governors to "honor the observance of United Nations Day," which was celebrated Sunday around the world to commemorate the date the organization was founded in 1945.

"It was a conscious decision to not issue the proclamation out of concern over the lack of support the U.N. has shown for United States efforts to bring freedom and democracy to the world," Perry spokeswoman Kathy Walt "

http://www.lonestartimes.com/index.php?id=0,257,0,0,1,0
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
Reply
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
Reply
post #2 of 35
..
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #3 of 35
Perry is an idiot. I am ashamed of my governor.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #4 of 35
Big. F...ing. Deal.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
It's UN day, but not here inTexas. Our Gov had the guts to tell the UN to stuff it. Good for him.

"Republican Gov. Rick Perry refused to honor United Nations Day, even as President Bush signed a U.N. proclamation, because doing so would be inconsistent with the governor's views, his spokeswoman said.

In his proclamation, Bush had urged governors to "honor the observance of United Nations Day," which was celebrated Sunday around the world to commemorate the date the organization was founded in 1945.

"It was a conscious decision to not issue the proclamation out of concern over the lack of support the U.N. has shown for United States efforts to bring freedom and democracy to the world," Perry spokeswoman Kathy Walt "

http://www.lonestartimes.com/index.php?id=0,257,0,0,1,0

Seriously, you people scare me. No matter what, you're always striving for separatism instead of unity, blind patriotism instead of rationale.

This country will never work with people that see friendship as a weakness.
post #6 of 35
What a petty little man.
post #7 of 35
What a petty stupid man who reveals his idiotic lack of political understanding by riding a stupid bandwagon.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Reply
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Reply
post #8 of 35
What an idiot.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
"Republican Gov. Rick Perry refused to honor United Nations Day,

Damn! That took some serious guts! What a bold move! He refused to honor a day!! Holy shit! Someone had better stop him before he goes on a non-honoring rampage!

Quote:
even as President Bush signed a U.N. proclamation,

Grr! Why does the governor of Texas hate Bush!? Why does he hate America!?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
What a petty stupid man who reveals his idiotic lack of political understanding by riding a stupid bandwagon.

Could the same thing be said for the internationalist that defers to the UN on issues?
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Could the same thing be said for the internationalist that defers to the UN on issues?

Who defers to the UN? Ever.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Could the same thing be said for the internationalist that defers to the UN on issues?

"You get wet when it rains"

Scott: could the same thing not be said of when it's dry ?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #13 of 35
I would understand a libertarian government that left the UN because they thought it is not within the limits of the power of the government to belong to such organization.

The current government recognizes no limits whatsoever to their power, and they are opposed to the UN because it *limits* what they can do, and provides a forum where people can bring out accusations against them (think ICC). They are not even paying the membership fees.

If I were an American, I'd want to leave the UN, but only when my own government is doing it for the right reasons.
post #14 of 35
So UN Day's normally a big deal in the States is it? It's usually party time on UN Day as Americans take to the streets in droves, dancing gaily about, waving the flags of many different nations and shouting "Hoorah for the UN!" huh?

Or (as I suspect) is it normally the case that UN Day passes without most people even realizing it's UN Day and that the "celebrations" consist of a bunch of diplomats getting together in NY and Washington for cocktails and a feelgood speech by that Prez that gets half an inch of column space on page 25 of the newspapers and goes something like,

":...blah, blah, blah...world unity...blah, blah, blah.....international cooperation.....blah, blah, blah....what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding......blah, blah, blah....."
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #15 of 35
There's a UN Day?

common man you are an assclown.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
So UN Day's normally a big deal in the States is it? It's usually party time on UN Day as Americans take to the streets in droves, dancing gaily about, waving the flags of many different nations and shouting "Hoorah for the UN!" huh?

Or (as I suspect) is it normally the case that UN Day passes without most people even realizing it's UN Day and that the "celebrations" consist of a bunch of diplomats getting together in NY and Washington for cocktails and a feelgood speech by that Prez that gets half an inch of column space on page 25 of the newspapers and goes something like,

":...blah, blah, blah...world unity...blah, blah, blah.....international cooperation.....blah, blah, blah....what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding......blah, blah, blah....."

Chester: Oh yeah, UN Day is a huge deal here in the US. There are massive celebrations across the country, and it is generally treated as a holiday by most, if not all, schools. Why, I remember, as a young boy coming downstairs on UN Day to find stockings stuffed with easter eggs and then running out to the front yard to find the presents the UN Bunny Claus had hidden! And oh, the family gatherings! UN Day in the US, you see, is a time for families to gather together, bake a turkey, and then carve funny faces in it. Then we all put the funny-faced turkeys out on our front porch and wait in our houses while children, one it's dark, go from door to door asking for guns, which we are obliged to give them. If we don't give them guns, they sneak into our yards and wrap our houses, trees, and cars in Tyvek house wrap.

Ah, UN day. So sad that those kids in Tejas missed out this year.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
It's UN day, but not here inTexas. Our Gov had the guts to tell the UN to stuff it. Good for him.

"Republican Gov. Rick Perry refused to honor United Nations Day, even as President Bush signed a U.N. proclamation, because doing so would be inconsistent with the governor's views, his spokeswoman said.

He's too busy offering "massages" to female members of the Young Republicans. ALLEGEDLY, allegedly I say. This is all secondhand information, of course, cannot be verified.

It can be verified that the state government is continually broke, and Governor Goodhair's solutions include revoking health insurance for needy children, cutting property taxes, putting lotto machines at every gas pump, and raising taxes on strip clubs. I wish I was kidding.
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
Reply
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
Reply
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
"You get wet when it rains"

Scott: could the same thing not be said of when it's dry ?

be careful, scott will reply with "it was a joke"
and then we'll say "well, it wasn't very funny so we couldn't tell"
then he'll call us all names and take his ball and glove and go home.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizzmonic
He's too busy offering "massages" to female members of the Young Republicans.

Maybe he didn't cancel UN Day at all. Maybe that's the way they celebrate it in that part of the world.

Allegedly.

Nah, I have it on good authority that Kofi Annan is heartbroken by the Texan guv's decision. What does Iraq, Sudan, the Balkans, Israel v Palestine, North Korea matter if there's no UN Day in Texas!

Oh the tragedy! Oh the cruel injustice. Woe! Oh woe!
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #20 of 35
At UN day (or the friday before), all the different nationalities represented in my daughters kindergarden were celebrated. They learnt a bit about the world. How big it is, how all the flags look and such.
They sang songs and told fairytales from different countries...

What a horrible day! let's ban it!
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Reply
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Reply
post #21 of 35
Thread Starter 
Let me say a few things here. This symbolic protest of the UN is significant. Here in Texas we are saying what the President cant say. We are saying that we have no faith in the UN. It is the nothing but stuck-up, corrupt old Europe. They couldnt make a move on Iraq because so many of them had their grubby fingers in the oil for food till. Dont think of the UN as what it is supposed to be or what you want it to be. Think of it as what it really is.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
Reply
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
It is the nothing but stuck-up, corrupt old Europe.

Aaaah, yes. I see what's happening here! The stuck-up, corrupt, new kid on the block is jealous. How dare Europe hold some power over you.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
Let me say a few things here. This symbolic protest of the UN is significant. Here in Texas we are saying what the President cant say. We are saying that we have no faith in the UN. It is the nothing but stuck-up, corrupt old Europe. They couldnt make a move on Iraq because so many of them had their grubby fingers in the oil for food till. Dont think of the UN as what it is supposed to be or what you want it to be. Think of it as what it really is.

I just wish Texas would fucking secede and be done with it.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
I just wish Texas would fucking secede and be done with it.

Texas wouldn't have to secede if we voted to kick them out. Let's just give them back to Mexico and be done with it. Then they'll get a real taste of "Fox" news.

All in favor say "aye".

Aye.
post #25 of 35
Maybe Texas shouldn't secede.

Texas.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Maybe Texas shouldn't secede.

Texas.

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Maybe Texas shouldn't secede.

Texas.

Despite Common Man's delusion, there must be a whole colony of Groverats and Fellowship Church iBooks out there somewhere.

We done good, AI.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Despite Common Man's delusion, there must be a whole colony of Groverats and Fellowship Church iBooks out there somewhere.

We done good, AI.

So do I take it from that comment that Groverat was some sort of fascist/fundi/nutcase at one stage too? [Chester snuggles up close to the fire, ready to be regaled by the next story in The Big Ol' AI Book of Myths and Legends.]

And aye.

Oh damn I guess I'm not eligible to vote.

Could you possibly hurry it up to ensure they're kicked out before....oooh, oooh it must be today already. Lemme check. It is! 12.15 am in NY. It's the big day. How exciting. This is the first time I've ever had more than a passing interest in the US election 'cause it's never really mattered before. Wonder what's gonna happen? Australian political satire show a few weeks back doing a send up "infomercial" for Americans about Australia:

"Like America, in Australia we have voting too, except we count our votes."


Sorry. It was funny at the time.

Good luck guys! Hopin' for a happy ending. If you should be so lucky, while you've got a head of steam up, you should fix up your fucked up electoral system. See if you can't avoid a repeat of the current situation huh? Um, and if Kerry wins can you dig up the dirt on George so you can lock him up and throw away the key? Thanks.

Lemme see, anything else? Oh yeah, if you wouldn't mind dropping the whole God Bless America thing. It's kind of offensive to the rest of the planet.

That'll do for now. We can talk about the rest of the agenda later. I'm off to review my copy of "How to Create Socialists from Nothing At All."

Later.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
So do I take it from that comment that Groverat was some sort of fascist/fundi/nutcase at one stage too? [Chester snuggles up close to the fire, ready to be regaled by the next story in The Big Ol' AI Book of Myths and Legends.]

No. Groverat (for whom I have gained much respect since the "lying is okay -- everybody does it" days) was a Texan who voted for Bush (AFAIK). He was never a nutcase, despite having had different ideas from my own. I've been at his throat from time to time, even recently (like in the Kobe thread), but altogether, he's a very intelligent person.

While Fellowship, however was indeed originally a fundie nutcase (sorry, Fellows), he's grown an incredible amount since then and has proven an ability to think completely independently from the official line of most (and I'm not familiar with the specifics of his own) American Christian churches.

And it's not just for supporting Kerry that I say this. But good luck getting anyone "pro-Bush" to agree with that one.
post #30 of 35
Grover did, however, "wrap himself" a little tightly in the flag after 9/11. He's since come back to his senses.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #31 of 35
So can anyone in particular claim credit for turning them?

Interesting they're both Texans. Maybe there's hope for CM yet. Perhaps there's some Texan vulnerability that can be exploited. As I remember FCiB from The Lurkin' Days, he was much more rabid than CM. Fellow's brief relapse a few weeks back was a bit spooky.

Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Grover did, however, "wrap himself" a little tightly in the flag after 9/11. He's since come back to his senses.

Now lookee here. I remember poking my head into AO while lurking just prior to the invasion of Iraq and being totally freaked by what I saw. Somebody in particular was getting crucified big time (Sammi Jo perhaps?) and it seemed like everybody thought Bush was doing just dandy.

Maybe it was a bad day. But then he did have a 90% approval rating at one stage didn't he?

Anyway, put me off registering a few more months and even after I did it took me about another 8 months to get game enough to venture in. Now I look for opportunities to taunt the French Mod and tell people to grow some balls when they piss be off too much. Guess I conquered that little phobia OK.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
Let me say a few things here. This symbolic protest of the UN is significant. Here in Texas we are saying what the President cant say. We are saying that we have no faith in the UN. It is the nothing but stuck-up, corrupt old Europe. They couldnt make a move on Iraq because so many of them had their grubby fingers in the oil for food till. Dont think of the UN as what it is supposed to be or what you want it to be. Think of it as what it really is.

Wait, I think you reversed the UN and Texas.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by crazychester
So can anyone in particular claim credit for turning them?

No. I'm positive that they both "turned" on their own. Maybe we should ask them, though, and stop talking about them in the third person? Sorry guys.

But it's nice to delude ourselves with the admittedly conceited idea that we had an effect.
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Texas wouldn't have to secede if we voted to kick them out. Let's just give them back to Mexico and be done with it. Then they'll get a real taste of "Fox" news.

All in favor say "aye".

Aye.

Joke's on you, USA. Down in Mexico they actually count the votes! (although historically, this hasn't been the case)

Oh, and a friendly reminder for all you enlightened and rational "liberals" who have more than a little preconception about what a Texan is (no doubt formed from rational judgment, personal experience, and cogent application of the Scientific Method). We Texans are a remarkably polite group. Excepting that, we don't like to be grouped.

All colors and creeds are large enough to coexist under the Lone Star, and they do. One of the oldest Pacifica affiliates broadcasts from Houston. Austin is one of the most progressive cities in the country.

In San Antonio, and probably across the state, I can put Kerry or Bush lawn signs on my property without worrying about some idiot stealing them. My friends in San Fransisco can't seem to stop at a light without some idiot screaming at them about their Texas license plates.

To the rest of the world: we are Texas. Not Bush, not cowboys, not oilmen, not fat women with big hair. Just Texas. Oh, and enough with the jealousy already!
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
Reply
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
Reply
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizzmonic
All colors and creeds are large enough to coexist under the Lone Star, and they do. One of the oldest Pacifica affiliates broadcasts from Houston. Austin is one of the most progressive cities in the country.

Apparently Texas has the most people converting to Islam as opposed to being born into the religion.

Don't know whether it goes down that well but it's a surprising stat.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › UN Day, but not in Texas!