or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Time to Call the Election

Time to Call the Election

post #1 of 64
I have been sharing my prediction for a few months now. I predict a big win for the President. I predict that the President will get 55% of the vote. I'm sure you disagree.

Moe
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #2 of 64
i think you have to call it electorally, i mean you can get 55% of the popular vote and still lose. I'm still doing my calculations and checking tomorrow's weather forecasts in swing states.
post #3 of 64
I'll predict that Kerry will win with just around 50% of the vote and just around 300 electoral votes, including Florida and Ohio.
post #4 of 64
I'll disagree with you, I predict Bush will get approximately 46% of the popular vote. Kerry will get 53%, and Nader & others will split 1%.

Additionally, Kerry will get at least 300 electoral college votes, including winning Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
May Peace Prevail on Earth
May Peace Prevail on Earth
post #5 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by imarz
...Kerry will get at least 300 electoral college votes, including winning Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Sounds about right to me.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #6 of 64
I should tell you i don't live in America and my opinion means jack shit. But since you asked:
Personally, i'm strongly against Bush and somewhat for Kerry. Untill a few days ago, however, i was convinced Bush is gonna win this with ease, scaring people into voting for him. Somewhat sadly, Kerry has resorted to the same tactics lately, and the ironic thing is, i think it will pay off.
Here's the deal: whoever wins Florida will win the election. And my gut feeling tells me it will be Kerry. Although i'm very sceptical about my gut feeling. So there .
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
post #7 of 64
Popular Vote: Kerry 53% - Bush 46% - Nader 1%

Electoral Vote: Kerry 280 - Bush 248 - Nader 0
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Electoral Vote: Kerry 285 - Bush 270 - Nader 0

So both Kerry and Bush become president.
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
So both Kerry and Bush become president.

Ha ha. I never was good at math. Fixed it.

Popular Vote: Kerry 53% - Bush 46% - Nader 1%

Electoral Vote: Kerry 280 - Bush 248 - Nader 0
post #10 of 64
I predict that it's too close to call right now and we won't really have a clue until the exit polls start getting released.
post #11 of 64
When was the last time a president won majority? clinton's first term?

I know he didn't have majority his second term, nor did bush have majority his first term.

what about bush sr. and reagan did they get majority?

electoral-vote.com (which appears to be DoSed or something right now) had kerry with 298 and bush with 231 today, yesterday Kerry had (rounded down numbers) 280 to bush's 240, and before that bush had 280 to kerry's 240.

Given that new voters tend to vote overwhelmingly for the challenger, it would seem like kerry has this in the bag. But I dunno, I'm not making any calls.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Whisper
I predict that it's too close to call right now and we won't really have a clue until the exit polls start getting released.

Come on! Stick your neck out! That's what this thread is for. Predictions baby!
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot
When was the last time a president won majority? clinton's first term?

I know he didn't have majority his second term, nor did bush have majority his first term.

what about bush sr. and reagan did they get majority?

clinton's second term had a majority, no? the first term was the election with ross perot.
post #14 of 64
his second term he only got 49% so i take it back.
post #15 of 64
Clinton had 43% in 92 and 49% in 96. Bush got 48% in 2000. I suspect someone will get to 50% this time around, just because third party challenges seem weaker this time.
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Clinton had 43% in 92 and 49% in 96. Bush got 48% in 2000. I suspect someone will get to 50% this time around, just because third party challenges seem weaker this time.

true, but 55% still seems *very* unlikely no matter who you are.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #17 of 64
another good prediction would be "how many americans (total) will vote tomorrow"?
I think turnout will be massive.....120 million.
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot
true, but 55% still seems *very* unlikely no matter who you are.

Oh absolutely. No one's getting more than 51%, IMO. But it still could be a rout in the electoral college.

Here's a prediction based on analyses of turnout and undecided voters. It shows Kerry winning with 50%-48%, but with 323 electoral votes. It does make sense, with so many large states so close. If Kerry is being underestimated by the polls due to turnout and undecideds, he could basically win all the swing states - Florida, Ohio, PA, Minn., Wisc., NM, NV, etc. Even Colorado if things go really well. Same with Bush, if gay marriage gets people going, or the war-time president thing, or even just white turnout is really high. He could absolute crush Kerry, winning all of those states above, and leaving Kerry with New England and California. It could happen.
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar
another good prediction would be "how many americans (total) will vote tomorrow"?
I think turnout will be massive.....120 million.

no way.

are there even that many registered voters?
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Oh absolutely. No one's getting more than 51%, IMO. But it still could be a rout in the electoral college.

Here's a prediction based on analyses of turnout and undecided voters. It shows Kerry winning with 50%-48%, but with 323 electoral votes. It does make sense, with so many large states so close. If Kerry is being underestimated by the polls due to turnout and undecideds, he could basically win all the swing states - Florida, Ohio, PA, Minn., Wisc., NM, NV, etc. Even Colorado if things go really well. Same with Bush, if gay marriage gets people going, or the war-time president thing, or even just white turnout is really high. He could absolute crush Kerry, winning all of those states above, and leaving Kerry with New England and California. It could happen.

I don't think bush can crush kerry, at best it'll be another snafu like before.

given that people tend to vote against the incumbent when in doubt, and also there are more registered voters now that registered specifically to boot bush.

eitherway, I wonder how the candidates are feeling right now.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
no way.

a stinging little factoid most people forget when they say the country is split right down the middle 50/50 blah blah blah...when in reality it's more akin to 25% kerry 25% bush and 50% "what time is trading spouses on again?"
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #22 of 64
I predict that Kerry will win. 273 vs. 265.
post #23 of 64
I'm too lazy to predict the exact electoral count.

I predicted the national percentage months ago in a thread like this and I'm sticking too it.

Bush - 49%
Kerry - 46%

Bush will get somewhere between 280-300 electoral votes.

Republicans will keep the House and make gains in the Senate including Colorado. Daschle will lose.

Terry will be fired on Wednesday.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #24 of 64
I say Bush will have a blow out. He will rock the body politic. 540 Electoral VOTES!!! YEAAAAAAH!!

Ahem.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
no way.

The last presidential election had over a hundred million people cast ballots.
With record number registrations, and an election that actually appears to be holding peoples attention more than the latest episode of SURVIVOR, I don't think 120 million is out of the realm of possibility.
post #26 of 64
Bush will win a squeaker. Democrats all over America will go bonkers. Millions will flee to Canada. The Canadian government will be forced to set up massive refugee camps at all major border crossings. Thousands of Americans will tough out an especially nasty Canadian winter.
post #27 of 64
I think Bush will win.

And I'm not thrilled at the prospect, but I'll have to live with it.
post #28 of 64
If Kerry wins I predict we won't have to put up with Common Man much longer.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #29 of 64
Most factors point to a Kerry victory tomorrow.

I'm getting the feeling that he's going to win the swing states, but not necessarily Pennsylvania. Rain might play a factor here. I think he'll have a "comfortable" electoral victory, and close to 50% of the popular vote. Will he get over 50%? I say no.

Dems get the presidency while congress stays republican.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #30 of 64
Take a look at this from electoral-vote.com:

(I've captured the above image and I'm hosting it myself, because electoral-vote.com is getting hammered now! If you can get to the site, the original image is interactive, revealing details about each state -- exact numbers, polling source, results from 2000, etc., when you point at each state.)

When I look at that map, I also consider the following things:

Most of the polls in 2000 were off 2-4 points in favor of Bush. There's good reason to believe that the same bias and more still exists, including the fact that cell-phone only voters, who are mostly young, urban, and lean democratic, have been left out of most of the polling.

GOTV (Get Out The Vote). All indications I've seen are that the Democratic GOTV operation is better than ever, and doing much better than the Republican effort. Newly registered Democrats are handily outstripping newly registered Republicans. As anecdotal evidence, I can say that here in NH Dems are out in force. I see Kerry supporters all the time out on the streets waving Kerry/Edwards signs. On the other hand, I've barely seen any Republican effort except for bumper stickers and yard signs. In Manchester yesterday, I saw only a couple of Republican protesters in a sea of Kerry visibility people, all lining the streets of Manchester during the Kerry rally there. From what I heard, there were a few more protesters than that who I missed, but still they were majorly overwhelmed.

Democrats want this election, BADLY. Maybe some of the die-hard Christian Right is just as fired up, but I don't feel like the overall Republican drive to get out and vote holds a candle to the Democratic commitment to do so.

Considering all of the above, I doubt that any state shown as blue will in reality turn red, I think the exact ties (CO and NM, total of 14 EV) are likely to go to Kerry, and it won't surprise me at all for one or two "Barely Bush" states to turn blue too.

I also believe tend to believe, based on the skew I suspect exists in most polls, that there's enough of a comfortable margin to overcome Republican RTV (Repress The Vote) efforts (Republican plans to have partisan amateurs challenge voter elibility at polls in Ohio was struck down as unconstitutional today), and enough of a margin of error to overcome one or two suprise losses to Bush, even a big state like Florida.
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
Take a look at this from electoral-vote.com:

When I look at that map, I also consider the following things:

Most of the polls in 2000 were off 2-4 points in favor of Bush. There's good reason to believe that the same bias and more still exists, including the fact that cell-phone only voters, who are mostly young, urban, and lean democratic, have been left out of most of the polling.

GOTV (Get Out The Vote). All indications I've seen are that the Democratic GOTV operation is better than ever, and doing much better than the Republican effort. Newly registered Democrats are handily outstripping newly registered Republicans. As anecdotal evidence, I can say that here in NH Dems are out in force. I see Kerry supporters all the time out on the streets waving Kerry/Edwards signs. On the other hand, I've barely seen any Republican effort except for bumper stickers and yard signs. In Manchester yesterday, I saw only a couple of Republican protesters in a sea of Kerry visibility people, all lining the streets of Manchester during the Kerry rally there. From what I heard, there were a few more protesters than that who I missed, but still they were majorly overwhelmed.

Democrats want this election, BADLY. Maybe some of the die-hard Christian Right is just as fired up, but I don't feel like the overall Republican drive to get out and vote holds a candle to the Democratic commitment to do so.

Considering all of the above, I doubt that any state shown as blue will in reality turn red, I think the exact ties (CO and NM, total of 14 EV) are likely to go to Kerry, and it won't surprise me at all for one or two "Barely Bush" states to turn blue too.

I also believe tend to believe, based on the skew I suspect exists in most polls, that there's enough of a comfortable margin to overcome Republican RTV (Repress The Vote) efforts (Republican plans to have partisan amateurs challenge voter elibility at polls in Ohio was struck down as unconstitutional today), and enough of a margin of error to overcome one or two suprise losses to Bush, even a big state like Florida.

Well done.
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Well done.

No, it's called wishful thinking. No way Kerry is getting 318. No way. Republican's GOTV and ground tactics have been better than ever.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
No, it's called wishful thinking. No way Kerry is getting 318. No way. Republican's GOTV and ground tactics have been better than ever.

Better than ever is not a comparission to what the Dems have done. It's your form of wishful thinking here SDW. Better than ever would be in reference to past republicna efforts. The Dems tronced the repubs in voter sign up thus the republican plans in multiple states to slow down the voting process.

Kerry will win-311 EV. That's all that matters
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #34 of 64
Quote:

I'll agree more despicable than ever... but I still don't think it's enough to match what the Dems are doing, nor to match the higher enthusiasm and dedication of the Kerry voters themselves.

Update: The Ohio vote Republican vote supressing squads (AKA "challengers") have now received the OK from the Ohio State Supreme Court to go ahead with there plans to try to scare off voters and slow down voting in Ohio's predominatly black and urban voting districts. Whether or not the federal court decision disallowing this action takes precedence over the state court is unclear to me at this point.
post #35 of 64
post #36 of 64
I predict that Kery will get around 300, and Ohio and most likely Florida will go to him.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #37 of 64
Quote:

I'm starting to become more confident. I think it's going to be a blowout. Kerry will win states we completely don't expect him to win. Arizona. Iowa. Missouri. Nevada. Colorado.

Bush will win Pennsylvania and *gasp* Florida (there will be plausible accusations of massive voting irregularities).
post #38 of 64
I think you'll see largely the same result from 2000 with a % tilt to Bush.
post #39 of 64
I think Kerry has the chance to have a blowout. If its close it could go either way, especially since the Republiscums will do anything to maintain power.
post #40 of 64
How can you people think there's going to be a "blow out" when the polls show it to be a statistical tie?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Time to Call the Election