or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › My Prius and my Solar Panels

My Prius and my Solar Panels - Page 2

post #41 of 51
umm the chevy metro requires 12 dollars to fill up weekly for 230 miles. with air conditioning. lol 6 gallon refill, the tank is 10 gallons but we refill it weekly
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot
I'm particularly interested about Solar arrays in space. I remember reading not too long ago that it would be feasible to construct enormous array(s) in space and beam the power harvested from them back to earth via lasers or something.

Pretty interesting concept, the benefits obviously would be that the solar arrays would get 24/7 exposure to sun and would be unaffected by atmosphere changes so they'd be far more efficient.

Yes, you can use microwaves to beam the energy down to earth. You would place a microwave reveiver in the desert where there isn't much of an impact.

Space based solar power currelntly does not work for several reasons:
1. Lifting solar cells into orbit is extremely expensive. On the order of $1000 per pound.
2. People get scared when they hear about microwave beams because they think that you will accidentally vaporize small cities.
3. Environmentalists are concerned with the impact of long term low level microwave radiation on lizards in the desert.

It is more cost effective to put solar cells on the desert floor than in space.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robot
Of course, The kicker is that there is no magic bean to replace oil, oil *is* the magic bean, the only real way to ease oil consumption is with widespread adoption of as many different alternative sources as possible. put your eggs in many baskets and all that.

Well, the reason why oil looks like a magic bean is because it is so commonplace and has a large and well developed infrastructure that has been developed around it. This will change if something becomes more economically viable.

Solar cells also have a well developed infrastructure, specifically the power grid. The same power grid that delivers power to your house can also take power from your house and send it to another person's house.
King Felix
King Felix
post #43 of 51
My solar panels and snow.

We had some snow now which is the first since I had my panels installed. I called the solar vendor and they explained to me that the panels get slightly warm and thaw of quickly which was indeed the case. The panels thawed almost immediately while the rest of the roof is still covered with snow.

Thank you sun for making me money every day and you don't even want vacation days like Thanksgiving.

Have a nice tripto sleep everybody!
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Yevgeny
2. People get scared when they hear about microwave beams because they think that you will accidentally vaporize small cities.

Aim it at Washington and Ottawa. Nobody will complain.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Yevgeny
Awesome.

Note about myself: I may want the right to own an assault rifle and to wear it on my back, but I also want America to be energy independent and to use green energy sources. I think that we'll get green energy in bulk in about 10-20 years and the right to strap an assault rifle w/ integrated grenade launcher on your back sometime after that

Amen, brother!
post #46 of 51
A guy I worked with said that hybrid/electric cars can cause electrocutions if involved in a bad accident. How true is this?
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by NJ Tom
A guy I worked with said that hybrid/electric cars can cause electrocutions if involved in a bad accident. How true is this?

Now that's something I haven't thought of.

Funny, and we frantically search for alternatives to gasoline, we're finding that each choice has it's own set of potential problems.

Although, in this case, I think the odds are in the electric's favor. Possible electrocution would still be preferable to possible explosion.
post #48 of 51
I think if the accident is so bad that wires are exposed than it doesn't matter what car you are in. But indeed Firemen are being educated as to the location of wires in hybrid cars.

As a plus, no car thief in their right mind will try and hot wire a Prius.
zzzzzzapppp.
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Behold...

TEH AIR CAR!!!1

I have been pumped about these for months now and can't wait until a domestic company crops up.

Couple things though.

1) Need larger tanks for greater range x 2 roughly.
2) Need a portable set of solar arrays which can power the on board air compressor.
3) Need to address top speed to allow 80 MPH.
4) Need to slightly redesign with an American slant.
5) Need to have local dealership support for repairs.
6) Need to have warrenty.

For the above I would double their current asking price. Provided I could pick the color of the vehicle. I'd also order two of them today.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #50 of 51
I'm getting a car soon, I really want to get a hybrid, it's unfortunate that I need a car now, because I'm sure that in 2 or 3 years hybrid cars will be a lot better than today's offerings, also they'll probably be more readily available and maybe even cheaper(whether through new models or greater adoption/support of the technology)

I would love a prius, but that's probably too expensive for me, especially since I've heard that they are being priced higher than standard because of high demand. The Honda Civic Hybird would be my next choice but like the civic hybrid isn't even THAT much more fuel efficient than a 2 door manual civic or a toyota corolla.

I wish the tax break incentives were greater for hybrids, that'd really make this easier.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #51 of 51
For all who may be interested in this technology,,,

CHECK OUT THIS LINK!

Have fun !!

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › My Prius and my Solar Panels