or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update

post #1 of 72
Get clickin' Software Update!

Quote:
The 10.3.6 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:
improved file sharing for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks
more reliable network automounts and launch of network applications
improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphic drivers
additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility
updated Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications
improved compatibility for third party applications
previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300080
For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

14MB
post #2 of 72
14 MB?
I'm getting 34,6 over here.
post #3 of 72
Update vs. Combo

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #4 of 72
Well, where are the brave ones ?
post #5 of 72
So far so good. I noticed the typing no longer lags while the gifs are going. maybe it's just my imagination or something.
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #6 of 72
I just installed the 14 MB sucker, 5 minutes ago. No problem yet (knock on wood). Safari appears to be a bit faster.

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #7 of 72
Apple Computer today released Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update, which delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:
improved file sharing for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks
more reliable network automounts and launch of network applications
improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphic drivers
additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility
updated Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications
improved compatibility for third party applications
previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website:
http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300080
For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website:
http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798
post #8 of 72
Woohoo, something new and fun that might make life better, but might mess something up! Can't wait to download!
Do not misunderestimate me.
Do not misunderestimate me.
post #9 of 72
Combo updater is up.

92MB! The standard updater is, indeed, 14MB. \

Screed
post #10 of 72
"Resolves an issue in which the display could sometimes remain dark when waking from display sleep (the mouse pointer might appear, but normal function could not be restored) if using Screen Saver password on a portable computer."

OMG!, finally.

Although the problem doesn't just affect portables.
post #11 of 72
Downloaded the 14MB update and all seems well on my 1.25 PB. The update mentions videocard updates, happen to know if they updated PB GPU drivers?
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #12 of 72
Checked out Calculator. Quit and relaunched it, but now I can't see the Calculator window. It's nowhere to be found. And the "Speak Button Pressed" feature doesn't work when pressing certain keys with the keypad, although that's not a new feature in this version.
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by coolfactor
Checked out Calculator....

Same problem here.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
post #14 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG
Same problem here.

Okay, now it's fixed, but I have no idea why. Maybe there's a restriction on how often we can run an application. Too quick and the computer says "uh uh... take a break man... you're working way too hard!"
post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by coolfactor
Okay, now it's fixed, but I have no idea why. Maybe there's a restriction on how often we can run an application. Too quick and the computer says "uh uh... take a break man... you're working way too hard!"

If you click Speak Button Pressed then relaunch the window for the calculator never shows up, if you then uncheck that and relaunch it shows the window. You also get this error in console:
2004-11-05 18:17:53.397 Calculator[445] *** -[NSSpeechSynthesizer _setRate:]: selector not recognized
post #16 of 72
34.6MB download took less than a minute total to download and install (campus connection and dual2.5 G5)
post #17 of 72
What is this 14MB one? I am using Software Update and it's come up with 34.6MB ?

I like the sound of network updates, hopefully that'll resolve the problem I have with seeing my windows PC
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
What is this 14MB one? I am using Software Update and it's come up with 34.6MB ?

Some people have the 14MB one, such as me, and others are seeing the 34.6MB one. No idea why.
post #19 of 72
Obviously, Software Update customizes the install for a particular computer.

my iMacG5 got the 34MB, my iMacG3 and iBookG3 got the 14MB.

Couldn't really tell what might have been different though ...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot
Obviously, Software Update customizes the install for a particular computer.

my iMacG5 got the 34MB, my iMacG3 and iBookG3 got the 14MB.

Couldn't really tell what might have been different though ...

AFAIK the iMac runs a special build and not the stock 10.3.5 build. So maybe there are more things that need to be patched ... at least you did not have to pull down the Combo which is more than 90MB!
post #21 of 72
Got the 14 MB update on my dual 2.0 G5. Perhaps it just depends on whether all previous updates had been installed by the user or not?
post #22 of 72
I installed the update on my iMac G5 and my PowerBook. both had downloaded all the latest updates. On the iMac, the download size was 34.6MB and on the PowerBook, the update was 14MB.

Maybe this is the benefit of having a 64bit processor? The downloads are larger? (j/k)
post #23 of 72
I experienced a kernel panic during the install. It was my first KP on this machine since the 10.0.x days. So far everything seems alright after reboot though.

This was on a brand new install of the OS with no mods or beta software.
DP450
Radeon 8500 (vga and svideo out in use)
DVR-106D
3 internal HD
iSight
iPod
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
I experienced a kernel panic during the install. It was my first KP on this machine since the 10.0.x days. So far everything seems alright after reboot though.

This was on a brand new install of the OS with no mods or beta software.
DP450
Radeon 8500 (vga and svideo out in use)
DVR-106D
3 internal HD
iSight
iPod

Me too. KP'd during prebinding. Rebooted and 10.3.6 looks stable so far (?)

Dual 500 G4
1.0 GB RAM
DVR-104
iPod 4G 20 GB
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #25 of 72
Update: After the KP, I downloaded and installed the stand-alone 90mb update on top of the SW Update update. No KP this time.
post #26 of 72
There seem to be a lot of G5 related complaints. Does the processor really effect the Operating System?
post #27 of 72
Any word on whether it fixes the 10.3.5 dialup problems? No mention of modem or PPP in the doc.
post #28 of 72
After updating to 10.3.6 I am having problems installing a driver for Epson RX500. Install seems to work but when I go to printer setup, it sees the RX500 but says the driver is not installed. It searches for and finds a new driver then asks me whether I want to Quit or return to browser - no other options. New driver it found never gets loaded? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling 4-5 times.
post #29 of 72
Anybody know if 10.3.6 adds native support for the Pioneer DVR-108 mechanism?

Would be nice to be able to run the "current" Pioneer offering...
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #30 of 72

The update 10.3.5 -> 10.3.6 didn't solved any of the problems I'm experiencing since 10.3.4.

After sleep mode, when I awake the computer :

1- I can't use the CD drive anymore. If I press the "open" button on the keyboard, noting is happening. The front door doesn't open at all, even if I get the "opening" logo on the screen. I must restart the computer to solve that problem. I never had this problem with 10.3.3. I tried reinstalling the system, but it doesn't solve the problem.

2- After the sleep mode, if I try to reconnect to the internet, noting happens, until I try and try again for about 5 minutes !

3- I'm now experiencing a new problem, since I upgraded to 10.3.6. The specular map doesn't work properly anymore in Celestia (a 3D astronomy software working with Open GL).

at Apple !

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #31 of 72
Well so far no problems on a 15" 1.25ghz alBook, installed using the 14mb delta package. As usual performed a repair of permissions before and after just in case.

One thing that STILL hasn't been fixed is Safari's inability to preload images, or more accurately use the preloaded image without reloading it. Hyatt even apologised for the bug in his blog back in February!

Quote:
(3) Classic image rollovers (e.g., preloads using "new Image") are busted, resulting in a flash on initial rollover, even when the images should have been pre-loaded. This is the truly weird one. I looked at this for a couple of hours tonight, and the images do get pre-loaded into the WebCore cache, but then for some reason they get punted out at rollover time. Not sure why.

I feel bad for not catching this. The problem is that I patched CSS rollovers so that they would load lazily in order to avoid loading unused images, and so when I saw this image flashing, I just assumed I was seeing the results of my CSS change. In reality some other unrelated and as-yet-unknown change caused the regression.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt...s/2004_02.html
post #32 of 72
games definitely run much better on my 12" Pbook
Current events, apple updates, news. Keep yourself up to date with the rest of the world http://doink.biz
Current events, apple updates, news. Keep yourself up to date with the rest of the world http://doink.biz
post #33 of 72
No major problems here. Only thing I can see is some apps and documents have lost their icons, displaying generic ones instead.

Apps that have lost their icons: Internet Connect, Image Capture, Mail, Preview. -- ARG. I just realized now that not of those apps will even run now. I guess I have to reinstall the update again. These apps were not in their default locations, which might have contributed to the problem, but I've never had this happen before.

I suppose if the wrecked apps are restored, my documents icons will come back.
post #34 of 72
After I installed 10.3.6 my iPod mysteriously lost the ability to be mounted with firewire (internal or cardbus). Looks like some other people in the apple support forums are saying the same thing about firewire drives / iPods. Thankfully, my other firewire drive wasn't affected.
post #35 of 72
Update to my previous update:

The stand-alone installer reinstalled everything in the default location.
Also, about half of my applications no longer have icons and refuse to launch.

Bummer. Someday I'll learn to let everyone else test the updates first.
post #36 of 72
I've done my 12"/867PB and my DualG4 1ghz. Both are running fine, but the PB gave me a KP after the install. It was weird because I can't remember the last time I saw that screen.
post #37 of 72
Is a KP, Kernal Panic? What is one of those? (Mac newbie here - I'm more used to the BSOD...).
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #38 of 72
Yeah, I meant Kernal Panic. It had been so long (1yr+) since I last had one. The screen goes dim and text in several languages appears, telling the user to restart.
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
Is a KP, Kernal Panic? What is one of those? (Mac newbie here - I'm more used to the BSOD...).

It's not surprising you're not familiar with it. I think I've only had 2 in 2.5 years.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #40 of 72
i've noticed nice improvements in graphics drivers (ATI Radeon 9800XT).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update