or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by dfiler
The stand-alone installer reinstalled everything in the default location.
Also, about half of my applications no longer have icons and refuse to launch.

Bummer. Someday I'll learn to let everyone else test the updates first.

Also in regards to my previous post, I used the Combo updater to get my missing apps back but it left me with the same thing: icon-less apps that wouldn't launch. These apps were the only ones that I had moved from their original location.

I came to the conclusion that this update was not installing a new app, but rather installing only the updated components. So if the app had been moved, you'd be left with only the updated components, with no icon, and it would be unlaunchable.

My solution was to use Pacifist, extract the missing apps from my Panther install CD into their default locations, run the combo updater again and reboot. And it worked.

Funny, I've never had a problem with some of the apps being moved for previous updates.
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
Is a KP, Kernal Panic? What is one of those? (Mac newbie here - I'm more used to the BSOD...).

It is kernel, not kernal, panic. Here is a definition.
post #43 of 72
Interesting that in 10.3.5 I experienced a bug in Safari when using Expose, all the windows would miniaturize into a single line. That drove me crazy.

In 10.3.6, the windows in Safari are evenly distributed across the display for maximum size.

Minute, but fun, bug fix.
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by thedazellama
Interesting that in 10.3.5 I experienced a bug in Safari when using Expose, all the windows would miniaturize into a single line. That drove me crazy.

In 10.3.6, the windows in Safari are evenly distributed across the display for maximum size.

Minute, but fun, bug fix.

Strange, mine still puts them all in a line still... That's one thing that does annoy me with Expose.

Thanks also for all whom answered my query about Kernel Panics. Hopefully I wont have one.
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by thedazellama

If you talk about what happens when you hit F10, I don't think it is a bug. If your application has many windows of the same size open, and if the vertical dimension of those windows is maximal for the resolution of the display (modulo the Dock), then F10 will arrange them in a single line. If even one the windows has different vertical dimension, then F10 will try to arrange them more uniformly in the screen. At least that's how it's happening in my case.
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
I installed the update on my iMac G5 and my PowerBook. both had downloaded all the latest updates. On the iMac, the download size was 34.6MB and on the PowerBook, the update was 14MB.

Maybe this is the benefit of having a 64bit processor? The downloads are larger? (j/k)

OMG, i installed the 34er and now my PB is G5. Shit.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #47 of 72
Hello fellow Mac addicts! I have had my TiBook 667 (first model) for just over 3 years now, and have had the many typical problems with it as most people, all which have been fixed. There has been a LOOOONG time without any problems with it, basically all through Jaguar and on until Panther 10.3.5. But, now suddenly (at the worst time of course), it looks like I may be screwed. Here's what's up:

I saw that 10.3.6 came out, so I waited a few days to see reviews, and they generally seemed positive except for firewire stuff, which I am not concerned about. So, I did my usual preparations before updates, and ran an fsck -yf, then ran Onyx (repair permissions and clean cache and such), then hunkered down for the LOOOONG update through Software Update (14 megs is even large on my 2k/sec dialup connection, so 90+ for the combo updater was out of the question). It installed fine, and I restarted, ran fsck -yf again, and Onyx again, restarted AGAIN, zapped the PRAM, and hoped for the best. My computer started getting slower and slower, until Photoshop just sat there with the beachball for 20 minutes before I force-shutdown (couldn't force quit anything even). Upon restart, I noticed my hard drive started making a loud, irregular buzzing sound, almost like a fan on the fritz, and it took literally almost 15 minutes to start up! And then, once it did, spinning beachball hell! I tried running FSCK again, and starting up from the Panther CD and running everything, but nothing was found! I called tech support and they of course wanted to charge $50 for the answer, so I basically said screw you, I can't afford that right now (I am a college student). Of course, a project in class was due the next day, so I am dead in the water... Any ideas??? I NEED HELP NOW! I MISS MY TiBOOK ALREADY! I KNEW I should have backed up before the update...

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks -JB

(Titanium Powerbook G4 667, OS 10.3.6, 1 gig of original Apple installed RAM)
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never know...
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never know...
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by JB
Of course, a project in class was due the next day, so I am dead in the water... Any ideas??? I NEED HELP NOW! I MISS MY TiBOOK ALREADY! I KNEW I should have backed up before the update...

Not only that, but we don't update a system the day before a deadline.

Anyway, if you believe the problems you have came with 10.3.6, you can try reinstall the update using the combo updater. This may solve your problem, but nothing is sure. And the hard drive sound could be indeed bad news.
post #49 of 72
From the hard drive sounds you are describing, it does sound like it could be a hard drive issue rather than directly related to 10.3.6. I hope you find a solution or that someone else may have suggestions.

So far we upgraded 5 Mac's in our office, including iBook's, PowerMac G4's and G5's, and everything has gone well.
post #50 of 72
Which part of Apple's instructions told you to use this Onyx tool?
post #51 of 72
Mounting problem of USB2/SATA Drive.

I received my new enclosure for sata hd which offers connection to the mac via sata (maybe comming) and usb2. The drive does not mount anymore even when using disktools. it is not recognized in the profiler. everything works fine when switching back to 10.3.5. anybody else having similar problems?
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by tomk
Mounting problem of USB2/SATA Drive.

I received my new enclosure for sata hd which offers connection to the mac via sata (maybe comming) and usb2. The drive does not mount anymore even when using disktools. it is not recognized in the profiler. everything works fine when switching back to 10.3.5. anybody else having similar problems?

It seems that many firewire & USB2.0 drives lose connectivity after the 10.3.6 update. You are most certainly far from alone. There is a large thread on this at Apple's discussion forums ( http://discussions.info.apple.com ).
post #53 of 72
Just did the 14MB install on my 12" PB, 1.33--Safari now won't launch at all. Having to use crappy MSIE to access the internet. Any suggestions?
post #54 of 72
The software update app also will no longer launch
post #55 of 72
Did the big combo update, and now everything seems to be back to normal.
post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by dietsoda
One thing that STILL hasn't been fixed is Safari's inability to preload images, or more accurately use the preloaded image without reloading it. Hyatt even apologised for the bug in his blog back in February!

The animated gif performance issue aint resolved either. Bleh!

Overall, does feel a teensy bit faster though.

SimCity 4 has this weird graphic error when resolution changes should occur but that's it. Overall, it plays a bit faster.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by F1Turbo
Just did the 14MB install on my 12" PB, 1.33--Safari now won't launch at all. Having to use crappy MSIE to access the internet. Any suggestions?

Yes. Download FireFox
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
Yes. Download FireFox

Which just left the preview release status and passed to 1.0 version. And noticeably more speedy compared to Safari 1.2.4.
post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
And noticeably more speedy compared to Safari 1.2.4.

That hasn't been my experience but certainly it's a possible replacement if Safari fails.
post #60 of 72
Quote:
That hasn't been my experience but certainly it's a possible replacement if Safari fails.

Hmm, perhaps your machine is fast enough to hide the speed differences. Many people say Firefox is much faster than Safari. I would say it is noticeably faster since I have not exact numbers to compare and the speed difference perception, when measured in a few, perhaps a couple, of seconds, can be very subjective.
post #61 of 72
Both are identical in speed for me, apart from one detail: sometimes, Safari gives me the spinning wheel of death for a few seconds. Firefox never does this.
post #62 of 72
It is possible Safari responds better to newer computers since I have only tested Firefox on my new one.
post #63 of 72
Thought everything was okay after doing the second, larger update--but now GarageBand won't come up at all.
post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Hmm, perhaps your machine is fast enough to hide the speed differences. Many people say Firefox is much faster than Safari. I would say it is noticeably faster since I have not exact numbers to compare and the speed difference perception, when measured in a few, perhaps a couple, of seconds, can be very subjective.

FireFox is good, but still a bit clumsy with the Address Bar, I think. It doesn't honour OS X text-handling behavior as closely as I hoped. Just feels a bit clunky.
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by coolfactor
FireFox is good, but still a bit clumsy with the Address Bar, I think. It doesn't honour OS X text-handling behavior as closely as I hoped. Just feels a bit clunky.

In Firefox's defence an OS X optimised version is still to come.
post #66 of 72
Are there any bluetooth enhancements? My Apple Wireless Mouse hasn't disconnected ever since I got 10.3.6. It used to disconnect, say, about once a week, and I have to plug in a wired mouse to get it to reconnect...
PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #67 of 72
I upgraded to 10.3.6 and now iPhoto, iMovie, and QuickTime won't launch. I managed to download a new copy of QuickTime and get it to work, but iPhoto and iMovie still don't work.

This is not an update. This is an upcrap.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #68 of 72
First report I've heard like that... what's your Console say when you try and launch them? (Launch /Applications/Utilities/Console to view the console logs in real time.)
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #69 of 72
Gene, one question...

You did restart, right?
post #70 of 72
Quote:
In Firefox's defence an OS X optimised version is still to come.

Do you mean Camino?
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by bborofka
Do you mean Camino?

No, the next version of Firefox is going to be optimized for OS X, just as Telomar said.

Quote:
On the Mac side of things, Goodger said Firefox 1.0 uses Apple's QuickDraw technology to draw to the screen, while the Windows version uses GDI. However, he said the next big move for the Mac version of Firefox would be away from QuickDraw.

QuickDraw, which Apple created in 1984, was the basis for 2D screen presentation in the Mac OS. With the advent of Mac OS X, Apple moved away from QuickDraw to its PDF-based Quartz rendering system, which is now incorporated in the Core Graphics architecture of Mac OS X.

"We were most focused on the feature set and user interface," Goodger said. "Maybe not for the next couple of months, but we plan to move Firefox" to the more modern rendering system. Firefox's reliance on QuickDraw, he said, is due to the fact that the low-level code of Firefox comes from Mozilla's Netscape 6 and 7 projects, which was largely coded in the years 1999 to 2001 for the Mac OS 9 operating system.

Source: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1723603,00.asp
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
First report I've heard like that... what's your Console say when you try and launch them? (Launch /Applications/Utilities/Console to view the console logs in real time.)

This is what I get when I try to open iMovie:

== Sat Nov 27 2004 ===== 18:07:08 US/Pacific =====
dyld: /Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/MacOS/iMovie truncated or malformed library: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetoothUI.framework/Versions/A/IOBluetoothUI (file is empty)

I get nothing for iPhoto, and QuickTime is working fine.

I did repair permissions before and after I installed, and yes, tonton, I did restart.

Thanks for your input guys.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update