or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 2008 canidates

2008 canidates

post #1 of 67
So who should the two parties be grooming for 2008?

Republicans?

McCain
Giuliani
Arnold

Democrats?

Hillary
2004 also rans
Obama
post #2 of 67
ME.
post #3 of 67
Condoleeza (VP) vs. Hillary (P) == catfight!!!
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
post #4 of 67
I could live with McCain. Arnold is way better then Giuliani though.

Hillary seems possible, Obama would be best. I have to say, I love Gov. Rendell, he is the man.

I think edwards my try again, but I don't think he'll make it.
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #5 of 67
Obama would still be too green in 2008. IMO it would be best for him to run for governor of Illinois and then try for a higher office.
post #6 of 67
I suppose a Hillary-Obama ticket has not enough white christian males to stand a chance given the current state of the US? (i tried to put that as politely as possible)
post #7 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
I could live with McCain. Arnold is way better then Giuliani though.

Hillary seems possible, Obama would be best. I have to say, I love Gov. Rendell, he is the man.

I think edwards my try again, but I don't think he'll make it.

Rendell is horrible. I know...I voted for him.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #8 of 67
Three words:

Jesse Ventura, Independent

Quote:
It doesnt matter who is in charge, Democrats or Republicans. The end justifies the means. Want to break the iron grip these two parties have on our politics? Good luck. Last week, the Presidential Debates Commission announced the schedule for next years debates. What a joke. This commission hijacked from the League of Women Voters by Republican and Democratic hacks is about as fair as the Globetrotters against the Washington generals. Their goal-keep any viable third party candidate out of the debates. All this in a country where polls indicate there are more independents than Democrats or Republicans. Why, I ask, do we let the minority rule?"

Quote:
"Were getting to the campaign season, which is a time of year when I tend to get upset with Democrats and Republicans. I often refer to campaign years as open season for bribery. Al, you know, the definition in the paper of bribery, or in the dictionary, is giving something of value to someone in power in hopes of influencing their decision. We have an entire Democratic/Republican political system based upon bribery. If you did it in the private sector, you would be arrested and put in jail, but in the public sector, its the status quo. How do we stop this?"

Quote:
During an interview with the Associated Press, former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura hinted that he's toying with the idea of running as an Independent for the presidency in 2008.

"No party, no nothing," he told the AP, adding that his campaign message would be, "Elect someone who truly is not controlled by special-interest money. With me, you would get a true check and balance."
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #9 of 67
Clearly Hillary is not going to run.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #10 of 67
Anyone who would ensure the rights of the individual over religion and other forms of opression.

McCain
Schwartzenegger(sp?)
Clinton
Hell even Cheney (if he promise not to invade any countries)
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #11 of 67
Arny cannot run.

Depending on which way the Republicans go, McCain probably wouldn't win.
post #12 of 67
At work we thought it would be funny to have a Schwartzenegger vs Granholm in 2008
post #13 of 67
McCain/Guilianni 2008
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
McCain/Guilianni 2008

That is like saying Big Bird/Barney...
post #15 of 67
what about the libertarians?

we've got nowhere to go but up!
Mac user since before you were born.
Mac user since before you were born.
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Arny cannot run.

Even as the Founding Fathers did not know that they were preventing this doofus from running, I thank them anyways.
post #17 of 67
I'm guessing Edwards.
post #18 of 67
McCain will be 72 in 2008. I love the guy, but even Reagan was only 69 when he was sworn in.

Guiliani is clearly gearing up for a run at something. He and Pataki may challenge Hillary in '06, and if either/both doesn't win they might go for Pres in '08. I really suspect Jeb will run - he can't stay Gov forever, right? Probably several Rep Senators, too - I've heard rumors about Santorum and Frist, and I could see guys like Hagel or Lugar making Graham-esque runs at it. Maybe Ashcroft, unless he goes to the SC first.

On the Dem side, I think it all depends on how the next four years go. I could easily see Dean making a re-run in 2008, if Dems get to feeling the same way about him that Reps did about Reagan in '76. It'll probably be too soon for Obama, and I just can't imagine Hillary seriously believing she could be elected (nor, I hope, Edwards). Otherwise, I think people will spring up to match the times and the mood of the party - the way Dean and Clark did this time around. There's a whole stable of Govs, including a bunch in the South, to draw on. And a bunch of ambitious Senators - like Corzine or Schumer, if they don't get bogged down as Govs.
post #19 of 67
i think, despite his age, mccain would want one last go of it. but i don't think the party wants him to. i think he'd win in the biggest landslide ever.
obama will still be way too green in 2008, but i think he's got a great message about him.
hilary needs to stay right where she is for a while.
guiliani's a joke.
i would not be surprised to see an effort to amend the rules to allow arnold to run, perhaps by 2012 (after a few more congressional and senate seats go in the republican camp).
edwards is like the cheshire cat... all smile, then just kinda disappears after a while.
dean still has that "you blew it" cloud hanging over him.
would, god help me, delay ever run for the big chair? something tells me he can enact way more of his agenda in his current seat, but he has incredibly strong beliefs, and feels its his duty to protect america from the liberal wing.
i really liked clark as a person, but he just did not know how to be a politician.
and please stop putting the bush family in office. i swear, we look more like an aristocracy with each passing generation...
and be on the lookout for new senator from louisiana, david vitter, in 2012 or 16. he destroyed six other candidates to take the senate seat as a republican for the first time since reconstruction here.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #20 of 67
Mark Warner, maybe?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Mark Warner, maybe?

Yea maybe.
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Yea maybe.

I don't know much about him, but he seems to fit the bill for another stab at the Clinton strategy (southern moderate governor), and the elections for the last 30 years have made it clear that the electorate wants governors.
post #23 of 67
He's from a good state to run from.
post #24 of 67
I'd like to see Bill O'Reilly/Sean Hannity ticket. That would be the funniest ticket ever.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
Rendell is horrible. I know...I voted for him.

Well, he has engery, and is loved by most of PA. Not to mentio he did pretty good for Philadlephia.
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
I'd like to see Bill O'Reilly/Sean Hannity ticket. That would be the funniest ticket ever.

You mean a sex offender and a guy with a private jet on the same ticket?
post #27 of 67
Quote:
He's from a good state to run from.

Do you mean for the presidency, or just in general?
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Maybe Ashcroft, unless he goes to the SC first.

Good job, you just made me kill myself.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #29 of 67
Quote:
You mean a sex offender and a guy with a private jet on the same ticket?

Yes I do. I watch them instead of Comedy Central, and I gotta say, the word funny doesn't do justice to these guys. Just freakin' hillarious..
post #30 of 67
If Ashcroft is a candidate, then I think that democrats should put a dead guy to run against him. He lost the last time to a dead guy he ran for office, so there's no reason to think he won't lose again.
post #31 of 67
Quote:
If Ashcroft is a candidate, then I think that democrats should put a dead guy to run against him. He lost the last time to a dead guy he ran for office, so there's no reason to think he won't lose again.

Foolproof strategy. Get this guy a job at the DNC!
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Foolproof strategy. Get this guy a job at the DNC!

Hey, if you're unable to defeat a DEAD guy when running for office, giving you an ALIVE candidate might lead you to unconditional surrender. And the Democrats don't want that; they want to beat the puck out of them jesusboys. Besides I heard he was sick wanting to resign. Soon now, Rumsfeld will get sick and pass the disease to Powell as well. The disease is spreading in the jesusboy camp...
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Hey, if you're unable to defeat a DEAD guy when running for office, giving you an ALIVE candidate might lead you to unconditional surrender. And the Democrats don't want that; they want to beat the puck out of them jesusboys. Besides I heard he was sick wanting to resign. Soon now, Rumsfeld will get sick and pass the disease to Powell as well. The disease is spreading in the jesusboy camp...

You do get the joke that Ashcroft lost an election to a dead man a few years ago, right?
post #34 of 67
Quote:
You do get the joke that Ashcroft lost an election to a dead man a few years ago, right?

Seeing as it was I who actually told the joke in this thread, I would certainly think so.
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Seeing as it was I who actually told the joke in this thread, I would certainly think so.

Doh! I thought someone else had made that joke! Mea culpa mea culpa mea culpa!
post #36 of 67
Quote:

Right. Except John Ashcroft beat plenty of living candidates in the past. According to his bio at the US DOJ, Ashcroft was elected Governor of Missouri from 1985-1993 and won a term as Senator from 1994-2000.
post #37 of 67
Howard Dean. There is no substitute.
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Right. Except John Ashcroft beat plenty of living candidates in the past. According to his bio at the US DOJ, Ashcroft was elected Governor of Missouri from 1985-1993 and won a term as Senator from 1994-2000.

Once you lose to a dead guy, you're dead (figuratively) as freakin' fried chicken.
post #39 of 67
Rumor is that Ashcroft is going step down from his post. That should make some people happy.

midwinter I mean for the presidency. Virginia is a southern state. I'm going to guess that he's a little more moderate than most democrats.

And people please please if you have any hope of winning in 2008 forget about Dean. He wasn't even a very good governor and only trick is sticking it to Bush who wont be running in 2008.
post #40 of 67
Quote:
... and only trick is sticking it to Bush who wont be running in 2008.

unless they manage to relieve that two-term limit thing before 2008.

nothing would surprise me anymore.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 2008 canidates