or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › localized string not found?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

localized string not found?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
What is the deal with "localized string not found"?
And HOW can someone put in the "localized string" again?

Example:
I saw a system yesterday, where particularly "safari" showed
"localized string not found" by CTRL clicking, where there should have been
"open in new window" in the contextmenu.

What could be wrong, and how to be fixed? Because this is plain annoying.
I have no clue, what happend there. The system (10.3.5) is stable, safari (1.2.3) works, it is just this little string, which is bugging. I've never seen this before.

I know the OS does place such a ".localized" hidden file in any folder, though
the user can read his/her app/system in his/her own language. But how could this file got lost?

thank you in advance
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #2 of 10
the localized files, and all localization stuff of an application is inside the application.
so choose hte application inside the applications folder, control click for options "show package contents". in there there are "contents" > "resources" and in those you see all lprojs for all languages the app is localized for. inside the language pack, e.g. "Italian.lproj" for italian localization, there is everything that is localized. So something in that folder is missing - could be e.g. a file called InfoPlist.strings or Localizable.strings.

or the mentioned files could be corrupted or jsut for some reason missing.

you get that error when you remove items, or when you have a program that is partially localized - e.g. when you are actually localizing a program and haven't completed translated all localizable.strings or some content is missing - so when the app sees the English.lproj containing more info or strings than the actual localized version.

Please post where you get this error and how you got it, what versions of which stuff you are using .. I'll check the background of the issue.
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Giaguara
the localized files, and all localization stuff of an application is inside the application.
so choose hte application inside the applications folder, I'll check the background of the issue.

Thank you for your concern.

How? I don't know.
It occurs only in "safari". Everything else seems to be normaly localized (German).

The wicked thing is, the computer in question got almost the same app/updates than mine. Actually (few minutes ago) we performed the 10.3.6 update. No probs at all. He launched safari (now v.no 1.2.4 (v125.11), control clicked some link and the "localized string not found". Weired thing, not every entry is "unlocalized", only a few.

I did this "show package content thing" you've mentioned above. Every single folder of his safari package content is identical to mine.

It simply doesn't make sense to me. Though, therefore i've deleted his "safari" entirely. Installed again, updated again, nothing happend. I've deleted the fresh cop'o'safari again, and copied my "safari" via finder into his app folder. And guess what! The ugly "localized string not found" is still there.
I go nuts

best
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #4 of 10
looks like something was added as strings or lines or jsut changed - but not in the latest version in german.

so e.g. when you have "loading URL ..." in the english string, and your system is in german, and that same string is not in the string file, it shows that error. so not your error but of the german localization.
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Giaguara
looks like something was added as strings or lines or jsut changed - but not in the latest version in german.

so e.g. when you have "loading URL ..." in the english string, and your system is in german, and that same string is not in the string file, it shows that error. so not your error but of the german localization.

hm, well
Actually Safari on System B is absolutely identical with Safari on System A.

If you CTRL Click e.g. a Link there pops up a contextmenu with
some options.
First entry is: "open link in new window" (in my own language) on system A
On system B there is "localized string not found".

Same with the 4th, 6th and 9th entry.
I go nuts.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #6 of 10
It's an old problem. Once I was affected too. The solution was as simple as to remove WebKit.framework (from /System/Library/Frameworks), download the latest Safari version from Apple and install it. The missing localized string is, in fact, in the WebKit framework and the full Safari package contains the complete framework. I believe that some incremental system update breaks a plist file. You may, however, need to use the 10.3.6 combo update after that.

See Apple discussions forums for more info.

P.S. And don't forget to repair permissions before and after system updates!
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Reply
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by costique
It's an old problem. Once I was affected too. The solution was as simple as to remove WebKit.framework (from /System/Library/Frameworks), download the latest Safari version from Apple and install it. The missing localized string is, in fact, in the WebKit framework and the full Safari package contains the complete framework. I believe that some incremental system update breaks a plist file. You may, however, need to use the 10.3.6 combo update after that.

See Apple discussions forums for more info.

P.S. And don't forget to repair permissions before and after system updates!

Fixed!

Costique! God bless ya all the time!
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #8 of 10
Hm, I actually saw that localized string error happen today, when using 10.3.6 with Safari 1.3 ... it showed that error ad a bunch of others. And moving back to 125 didn't resolve it .. but the 10.3.6 with 1.3 is an issue caused by the 10.3.6 update.
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
Reply
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by costique
It's an old problem. Once I was affected too. The solution was as simple as to remove WebKit.framework (from /System/Library/Frameworks), download the latest Safari version from Apple and install it. The missing localized string is, in fact, in the WebKit framework and the full Safari package contains the complete framework. I believe that some incremental system update breaks a plist file. You may, however, need to use the 10.3.6 combo update after that.

See Apple discussions forums for more info.

P.S. And don't forget to repair permissions before and after system updates!

Though, Costique, you are a real genius, you deserve first class treatment by all ai members.

To explain a little bit my excitement:
The Webkit.framework hint was the hit. It fixed my problem and finally it was a very easy fix.

I instantly compared the two (very complex) folders of "system a" and "system b". And guess what: the faulty "system b" was indeed missing all foreign languages inside the "version" folder, which is nested somewhere in the Webkit.framework dadada folder, anyway.

What i did, since i am a lazy and sometimes the experimental type:
I manually copied my desired language version from "system a" to "system b", rebooted, repaired permissions, and there you are. Safari is fixed.

I hope this ws a good idea, but everything seems to be in good shape so far

best
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Though, Costique, you are a real genius, you deserve first class treatment by all ai members.

Thank you
Quote:
What i did, since i am a lazy and sometimes the experimental type:
I manually copied my desired language version from "system a" to "system b", rebooted, repaired permissions, and there you are. Safari is fixed.

Yes, it's an unquestionably reasonable approach. Though for savvy users only. And yes, everything should work as expected. Congratulations.
Quote:
Originally posted by Giaguara
Hm, I actually saw that localized string error happen today, when using 10.3.6 with Safari 1.3 ... it showed that error ad a bunch of others. And moving back to 125 didn't resolve it .. but the 10.3.6 with 1.3 is an issue caused by the 10.3.6 update.

That is a different headache which needs different pills. First of all, I haven't seen Safari 1.3.

1. You could try launching Safari 1.3 installer and check if it can uninstall the beta.
2. You can always launch Safari 1.3 installer, Show Files (or use Pacifist, or lsbom command), remove them manually, taking care you don't delete something like AppKit.framework, and try reinstalling the working (public) Safari build. For example, Safari 1.2 installer installs Safari.app, CFNetwork.framework, Foundation.framework and WebKit.framework. You should be extremely careful about CFNetwork and Foundation, because a lot of other apps depend on them. In short, you must know what you're doing.
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Reply
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › localized string not found?