or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › AppleOffice?

AppleOffice? - Page 4

post #121 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by mmmpie
Ive observed a lot of non-technical users. Many of them have only come to grips with their software ( typically Office ) after _YEARS_ of use. Just the thought of repeating that period of time in a state of ignorance scares the living beejeesus out of them.

This mostly-mistaken perception is even bigger with the OS than with the apps, and is probably the biggest barrier for Windows-to-Mac Switchers.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #122 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by mmmpie
Most people put _HUGE_ amounts of effort into learning their software ( usually MS ) and typically feel like they are walking on a tightrope when they are using it. From a historical perspective they are justified in thinking that learning new software will be just as hard, and they don't want to do it again.

Excellent point - but it's strictly a matter of using crappy software in the first place, and being brainwashed into thinking that's 'just the way it is'. Heck, my father-in-law spent years insisting that that *had* to be the way computers were, because there was no way MS could possibly be the market leader with less than state-of-the-art products, so no one could possibly be better. He's an economics prof, and tends to get a bit ivory tower at times... :/
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #123 of 124
I've not only seen people use PowerPoint as a drawing app, I've seen people use it as a page layout app. I was forced at my old job to create oversize posters in PowerPoint and print them to postscript plotters! Insanity, I tell you!

iShawn, I'm not sure I understand what you mean about AppleWorks. Is it not in your Applications folder? Was it pre-installed there to begin with? I might have missed or forgotten something from earlier in the thread.

As far as TextEdit, it is a text editor in a strict sense, not a word processor per se. A text editor can be used to write technical stuff like html, xml and things like that, but it does not have word processor features like headers, footers, endnote/footnote support, a lot of page formatting, etc. In other words, it's about the text itself, not so much about the presentation of it. TextEdit does also serve as a kind of showcase for any text features Apple adds to the OS. These features can be incorporated into third party apps as word processor features, but TextEdit itself, doesn't go that far.
post #124 of 124
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Excellent point - but it's strictly a matter of using crappy software in the first place, and being brainwashed into thinking that's 'just the way it is'.

I guess that this really just falls back to Apple's marketing. The only Apple ad Ive seen lately is for the iPod. I guess you could consider the whole iPod thing a huge, self funding, marketing campaign for Macs ( the halo effect ). Even sounds like it will start to have an effect next year.
Unfortunately Apple is a style orientated company these days, and dont seem to be interested in ads that play the advantages of the Mac. It would be easy to compare a Dell and Mac side by side.

Xmas morning: There are two big boxes under the tree. Everyone wakes up and the family opens their new toys. A Mac and a Dell. They set them up. The iMac is much simpler and is ready to go faster. They plug into broadband. Everyone is having a good time. Then pop ups start appearing on the Dell. The system goes down. Wont boot. The father spends the rest of the day on hold with Dell tech support.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › AppleOffice?