or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Photos reveal massive Regent Street Apple store

Photos reveal massive Regent Street Apple store

post #1 of 33
Following Apple's Regent Street special event, which took place just hours ago, several images of the company's first European retail store have surfaced:

Apple Store Regent Street Entry

Apple Store Regent Street Genius Bar

Macworld U.K. was amongst some of the first media representatives to preview the Regent Street location and have posted an extensive photo gallery from inside the store.
post #2 of 33
Apple does take gorgeous photos, don't they?

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/retail/retail.html
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
post #3 of 33
Weeeeehooooo!!!

....and one in Kent next year. I'll be in FanBoy heaven. (wonder when Steve will visit?)
post #4 of 33
I'll take one in my neighborhood.
post #5 of 33
Looking very good . I'll be there at some point on Saturday, can't wait .

Dave.
post #6 of 33
Hey, those MacWorld UK photos show the architects. Nice for them to get some credit for a change (though they certainly won't be mentioned at any other point).
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
Hey, those MacWorld UK photos show the architects. Nice for them to get some credit for a change (though they certainly won't be mentioned at any other point).

I actually know the architect(s) who design the glass staircases for the stores. They aren't pictured however. But that's how i originally knew about the spiral staircase in the Tokyo store. Apparently Apple considered the spiral staircase for the SF store as well.
post #8 of 33
Now I'm a bit less enthusiastic about trucking over to the Apple Store in Des Moines. It can't possibly look that gorgeous.

You guys over the pond got a gem of a store. Lucky sods.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
I actually know the architect(s) who design the glass staircases for the stores. They aren't pictured however. But that's how i originally knew about the spiral staircase in the Tokyo store. Apparently Apple considered the spiral staircase for the SF store as well.

I found out about the spiral stair in Tokyo from an interview I had with BCJ on the east coast. Alas, they were looking for a project manager (definitely not for me), and the opening was shelved when a couple of projects went on hold anyway. Peter Bohlin is The Man.
post #10 of 33
I hope they have more then one Genius Bartender manning that massive thing. I wonder if they'll let me buy some tech support for that cute blonde on the end.
theFly
theFly
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
I found out about the spiral stair in Tokyo from an interview I had with BCJ on the east coast. Alas, they were looking for a project manager (definitely not for me), and the opening was shelved when a couple of projects went on hold anyway. Peter Bohlin is The Man.

the two people I know (my friend's cousin and her husband) must work for his firm. When I saw them last year they were preparing their final proposal and talking about having to go to Tokyo.
post #12 of 33
MacWorld UK has some pics from the promo event they had today:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/AppleStore/

It looks like a very nice store . Can't wait for Saturday, I'll be like a kid in... well, in an Apple store . I just hope they haven't sold out of the stuff I'm after before I get there!

Dave.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
the two people I know (my friend's cousin and her husband) must work for his firm. When I saw them last year they were preparing their final proposal and talking about having to go to Tokyo.

BCJ has several medium-sized offices around the US and is very well regarded. Their stuff is published all over the place, though they seem a bit reticent to publish another monograph. Bohlin is sort of the cult of personality, but they have a lot of talent in all the offices.
post #14 of 33
Wish I was going to this you lucky lot. Been looking forward to it for months. Unfortunately I've got to fly out to Cincinnati in about 4 hours for work and won't be back for over a week.

Oh well.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by neondiet
Wish I was going to this you lucky lot. Been looking forward to it for months. Unfortunately I've got to fly out to Cincinnati in about 4 hours for work and won't be back for over a week.

Oh well.

. But look on the bright side, the store will still be there when you get back, and there won't be loads of people crowding it because it's the opening day .

Dave.
post #16 of 33
Hm....

London.

Cincinatti.

London.

Cincinatti.

Yup, that sucks.
post #17 of 33
Looks very similar to Chicago's Mag Mile store. Great stuff!
Brad
post #18 of 33
Just need one in Reading next ( Oh go on even a mini one would do)
Because the people who are crazy enough to think thay can change the world, are the ones who do
Because the people who are crazy enough to think thay can change the world, are the ones who do
post #19 of 33
They just did a story on this on the BBC 10 O'Clock News. There are loads of people queued up and it doesn't even open for 12 hours!
post #20 of 33
Walked past there early on tonight, Loads of people, looking cold but happy playing on their powerbooks.
post #21 of 33
More pics and a small scale movie of how the q looked at midnight. Now time to get a bit of sleep before getting online.
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #22 of 33
Thanks for the pics & movie .

450 people at 2am, huh? I wonder how many people will be there at opening time?!

Dave.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by macnut222
Apple does take gorgeous photos, don't they?

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/retail/retail.html

Pic #1 could use about .1 degree CW correction. I'm serious. It also has some very serious compression artifacting going on . (Lossless TIFF was obviously not the original format)

Pic #2 is actually well underexposed and looks a little bit soft. I'm guessing the photo was taken handheld with no flash. I also think a wider DoF would have been better.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Abrey
Thanks for the pics & movie .

450 people at 2am, huh? I wonder how many people will be there at opening time?!

Dave.

uploading photos and movies now .. will upload within a few hours, after a hot hot bath ...
post #25 of 33
The german page macnews.de posted a gallery showing some photos taken during the grand opening:

http://www.macnews.de/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=13

Greetings,
durandal
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
post #26 of 33
http://www.macnews.de/gallery/albums...tore-UK-14.jpg

That stair can hold a LOT of people, can't it?
post #27 of 33
Just got back from London & the Apple store. Arrived just before it opened, and the crowd was cheering something - I thought maybe Steve had turned up to open it in person, but it was the staff arriving! We couldn't be bothered to wait in the queue, as it was so long. So we came back later once the queue had gone down a lot. Didn't get a T-shirt though .

The store is very impressive, but it was difficult to tell exactly how cool it is as there were so many people! I'm planning to go back during a lunch break next week .

I've got some pics I took on my camera phone, I'll try to upload them later once I've had a sit down and a cup of tea .

Dave.
post #28 of 33
Man, those photos make me miss the architecture and ambiance of London. What I'm most impressed with are the floating, illuminated Apple logos in the windows! Questions that I would like answered are:

1. How many switchers are in those lines?

2. How often are the Studio's staffed? That one piece of the marketing puzzle could have HUGE impacts if the Studio's work well and customer's expectations are met.

3. How far is the nearest pint of Whitbread?
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #29 of 33
I've posted the pics I took with my camera phone:

http://homepage.mac.com/daveabrey/PhotoAlbum24.html

Also, Apple have updated their Regent Street pages with some pics of the opening:

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/regen...ndopening.html

Dave.
post #30 of 33
posted the pics I made while waiting in line for the opening:

http://homepage.mac.com/bka77/PhotoAlbum7.html
post #31 of 33
the queue (movie) first at midnight, then 7 AM ..http://homepage.mac.com/zisa/regent/...t_midnight.mov (30 mb web quality, uploading now).
post #32 of 33
Hehe' .. the same movie of mine in less than 7 mb = edited only the 7 AM part and in fast pace ... http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofm...ntry_id=531798

anyone recognizes themselves?
post #33 of 33
Wow! Brings back memories... Everytime I hear Vertigo it reminds me of entering and instantly going to the lucky bag queue!

Anyone know the guy who had everyone's email?
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Photos reveal massive Regent Street Apple store