or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Human common descent ancestor discovered

Human common descent ancestor discovered - Page 11

post #401 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
Powerdoc, you may want to revoke those pictures of 'Chester and give yourself up for Christ?

Methinks that I can find good company in hell with you and Segovius.
post #402 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
OMG - found it on the 'internets'

The trauma is all coming back - I got to go and lie down. I may need medication....
Powerdoc ?

Nooooooooooo

I can't decide who those guys hate more:

Mormons, Muslims, Catholics, JW's, <insert non-evangelical Christian here>...
post #403 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Methinks that I can find good company in hell with you and Segovius.

Right on...we'll have a special AI chapter and one hell of a parteeeee!!!
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #404 of 411
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4104483.stm

An interesting read, mildly related to abiogenesis.
post #405 of 411
Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4104483.stm

An interesting read, mildly related to abiogenesis.

I had the idea to make life from scratch about 20 years ago as an undergrad. A grad student was trying to encourge me to go for it. Luckily, I new better than to try such a daunting task. I'm sure it will be achieved one day.

Although we will learn from the endeavour and it will certainly make some headlines, it really won't do much I think to answer the tough questions of how life began. It's more of a technical task to slim life down to its minimum parts and try to get the system rolling. All this is based on parts taken from life as we know it today, which is most likely very different from when it started.
post #406 of 411
exactly, while there are many many questions that need an answer, at least people are working on it, and whether it happens tomorrow, in 40 years, or after i'm recycled, we will have an answer one day.
post #407 of 411
Quote:
exactly, while there are many many questions that need an answer, at least people are working on it, and whether it happens tomorrow, in 40 years, or after i'm recycled, we will have an answer one day.

You have great faith, grasshopper.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #408 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

thankyou,

My faith is based in reality, fact and evidence, and a part of my faith is that I do not know everything, do not know what the truth is, and do not know how to acquire it, but my faith allows me to be honest in accepting these deficiencies and doesn't require me to blaspheme God by denying everything in existance from the universe to a quark, just to fullfil a hopeless selfish desire that I can transcend death by believing in an imaginary friend.

You have no faith, fake T-rex.
post #409 of 411
Oh boy.

post #410 of 411
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

If there is any faith in science than it is in the process not the answers of the day.

The universe is big and what we know and understand is little. The scientific method lets us observe, measure, test and interact with the universe in order to figure it out. Sure we get it wrong from time to time, but our methods let us fix things.
post #411 of 411
Carson that post was brilliant. That I think is the single most important part of science: the uncertainty principle. Reminds me of learning about Total Maximum Daily Load plans in Hydrology. They at the NRCS (in the Dept. of Agriculture) use something called "adaptive implementation" in that they field test every theory and are constantly refining pollution models. Science always has a margin of error; we can always be more accurate, and yet never perfectly accurate.

OK this thread seriously has worked its course. Creationists simply do not know how to debate, listen, or understand logic. dmz and all you Bushies go back and watch some Blue Collar TV for a look at yourself.

Everyone I think this is an appropriate website which sums up this topic.

http://www.askepticalapproach.com/
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Human common descent ancestor discovered