or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › I have an ipod on my home pc, iMac on the way, pc @ work, how do I make my mac & work

I have an ipod on my home pc, iMac on the way, pc @ work, how do I make my mac & work

post #1 of 10
I currently have a PC at home I have conencted to my iPod. I have a pc at work that connects to my iPod to act as a travel hard drive to and from work so I don't have to carry around those dumb 256 meg flash drives.

Is there any way that I can delete my iTunes attachement on my home PC for my music and make it happen with my iMac. Then, not loose the connectibility with my work pc so I can still have my portable hdd?

Thanks,

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #2 of 10
Ok, let me see if I understand what you are asking.

You want to be able to sync your iPod with your Mac for your music, and still be able to use your iPod to move your regular files back and forth between work and home without any compatibility issues? Is this right?

Hmmm...

If I understand it, I think Mac OS X will be able to use a PC formated iPod and be able to sync your music library to it without any problems. It should also be able to mount and read your iPod's hard drive so you can copy/move files around. And still be able to connect your iPod to a PC without any problems.

I am not sure about all this, though. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Mike
post #3 of 10
That is EXACTLY what I want to know!

Confusing I know, but I have to have a PC at work (auto cad/specialized billing system).

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #4 of 10
No problem. Just use your iPod on your Mac at home without changing it. Make sure all your music files are on your Mac copy of iTunes first, then when you plug your iPod into your Mac, iTunes will ask you if you want to link your iPod to that copy of iTunes say "yes". All of your music (and no data files or anything else) will be deleted from your iPod, and then your iPod will sync with your Mac.

You'll have to remember to click "no" when either of your PCs asks you if you want to link your iPod to that machine. I think there's a preference in iTunes on the PC where you can tell the PC what to do when you plug in your iPod. Just set it to "mount your iPod like a hard drive" on both machines and make sure "launch iTunes" is not selected. Then you can use it to shuttle files just like any hard drive, assuming your music collection hasn't taken up all of your iPod's capacity.
post #5 of 10
How can move my iTune music files off my pc to my new Mac coming without loosing the number of times I can copy/move/burn/whatever them??

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
How can move my iTune music files off my pc to my new Mac coming without loosing the number of times I can copy/move/burn/whatever them??

Eric

I just drag and drop the folders between my macs to copy them first, and then drop the folder into itunes to add it to the library. pc may be different, but it should be that easy
post #7 of 10
So doing a back up and moving them to my new mac won't subtract from the usage license on my paid for songs?

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
So doing a back up and moving them to my new mac won't subtract from the usage license on my paid for songs?

Eric

No.

What's important is your authorization count, not your burn count.

You are authorized to play your iTunes tracks on three (or is it five now?) computers.

You'll have to authorize your Mac to play those songs. You can always De-authorize one of your previously authorized computers.
post #9 of 10
Thanks! That is what I meant to say but didn't know how to say it because I had no idea what I was saying but knew the overall idea.

How does apple know how many computers my songs are on? Internet?

Thanks!!!!

Eric
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
How does apple know how many computers my songs are on? Internet?

They don't but you need to authorise the music to play it and they limit how many computers you can do that on.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › I have an ipod on my home pc, iMac on the way, pc @ work, how do I make my mac & work