From the real music store faq section:
Here are the simple steps to make your ipod work with real music store. Wow you might as well kill yourself, before going through all this. Or just buy from iTunes.
To set up your Apple iPod to be fully compatible with RealPlayer, you will need to do the following:
- Install the iPod software and iTunes
- Update iTunes
- Update your iPod software
- Activate your iPod
- Enable disk use option in iTunes
- Turn off automatic synchronization in iTunes
- Install the iPod plugin for RealPlayer 10
Step 1: Install the iPod 2.1 software and iTunes.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN: DO NOT connect your iPod until requested to do so by your iPod installation software.
Note: The installation experience may vary depending on your version of the iPod and iPod software. If you encounter any problems during the first six sections, please contact Apple Technical Support.
1. Ensure that your iPod is not attached to your computer.
2. To see if the iPod software has been installed yet, click Start and go to Programs.
- If you see an item called iPod, you have already installed your iPod software. Stop here and go to the next section, Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes.
- If you do not see this item, continue with these instructions.
3. Insert the iPod CD that came with your device.
4. The Installation CD automatically begins to run. If it does not, open My Computer and double-click the CD drive that holds the installation CD.
5. Select your preferred language and click OK. Setup will begin configuring the Windows InstallShield Wizard. When it is finished, a picture of your iPod will appear.
6. Click Install.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to register your product.
8. When the registration portion is completed, you will be asked if you want to configure your iPod. Follow the on-screen instructions to properly configure your iPod.
9. When this is finished, you will be asked to install iTunes. Follow the on-screen instructions to properly install iTunes.
10. When the iTunes installer has finished, the screen will disappear for a few moments and then pop back up, asking you to restart your machine. Select Yes, I want to restart my computer now.
11. Click Finish. Your computer will restart.
Step 2. Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes.
1. Click Start, and go to Programs > iTunes > iTunes.
2. When iTunes has started, click the Help menu and select Check for iTunes Updates.
3. If a new version of iTunes is available, you will be asked if you want to download it. Click Yes. This redirects you to Apple's iTunes download site.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen to download the iTunes installer.
5. When the download of the iTunes installer is complete, start the file to install the latest version of iTunes. Restart your computer when prompted to do so.
Step 3. Ensure you have the latest iPod software.
1. Click Start, and go to Programs > iPod > System Software > Updater.
2. Allow the updater to load. If the iPod software is lower than 2.1, please visit www.apple.com/ipod/download
to download the latest version available for your specific iPod.
Step 4. Activate your iPod.
Note: You will only need to do this the very first time you open iTunes with your iPod attached.
1. Open iTunes. Your iPod should be detected automatically by iTunes. If it does not, turn off your computer, unplug your iPod when your iPod says it is safe to do so, and restart your computer. When the computer has completely restarted, plug the iPod back in and then open iTunes.
2. The iPod Setup Assistant starts.
3. Name your iPod and click Finish.
Step 5. Check if disk use is disabled in iTunes.
RealPlayer will not be able to detect your iPod if disk use is disabled in iTunes. To resolve this issue, enable disk use in iTunes:
1. Open iTunes on your desktop computer.
2. In iTunes, right-click the iPod image.
3. Left-click iPod Options.
4. Select the Enable Disk Use check box.
5. When a warning box appears, stating that you will need to manually eject the device, click OK.
- Note: This message means that before unplugging your iPod from the computer, you will need to use the Eject Device feature of iTunes or RealPlayer, or the Microsoft utility called Unplug or Eject Hardware or Safely remove hardware. On Windows 2000 and Windows XP, all FireWire and USB devices must be disabled before you can unplug them.
6. Click OK.
7. Close iTunes.
RealPlayer should now be able to detect your device.
Step 6: Turn off automatic synchronization in iTunes.
1. From within iTunes, right-click your iPod and left-click on iPod Options.
2. Place the dot next to Manually manage songs and playlists.
- Note: This change is essential because the default setting of iTunes 4.2 automatically synchronizes your iPod library with the iTunes library. If you leave it at the default setting, every time you open iTunes with your iPod attached, all songs placed on the device by a program other than iTunes will be erased from the iPod.
3. Click OK twice and close iTunes.
Step 7. Install the iPod plugin for RealPlayer 10.
1. Ensure that your iPod is connected to your computer.
2. Open RealPlayer.
3. Click the Tools menu and select Add A New Device.
4. A Portable Devices window opens. In the Apple iPod section, click the Install the device for RealPlayer 10 link.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions, choosing all defaults. When the installation is complete you will be asked to restart the RealPlayer.
6. Click OK to restart RealPlayer 10.
7. When the player opens you will be redirected to the Burn/Transfer section of RealPlayer 10. Click the drop-down arrow next to Current Burner/Device and select your iPod.
Your iPod is now properly configured for use with RealPlayer 10.