or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Pizza Hut denies man's right to carry a weapon!

Pizza Hut denies man's right to carry a weapon!

post #1 of 94
From Lonestar times:

Let's boycott Pizza Hut
Owen Courreges

Why boycott Pizza Hut? Because the company is run by a gaggle of gun fearing pansies who would rather see their deliverymen gunned down in the street than allow them to carry weapons to defend themselves with.
Case in point:

Ronald Honeycutt didn't hesitate.
The Pizza Hut driver had just finished dropping off a delivery when a man holding a gun approached him. Honeycutt wasn't about to become another robbery statistic. He grabbed the 9 mm handgun he always carries in his belt and shot the man more than 10 times, killing him.
Honeycutt faced no criminal charges because prosecutors decided that he acted in self-defense. But the 39-year-old did lose his job: Carrying a gun violated Pizza Hut's no-weapons rule.

This is insane -- Honeycutt would have died if he hadn't had that gun. So how can Pizza Hut defend it's asinine policy? The answer is, 'not very well:'

"Do you want your mail guy or delivery guy carrying a loaded gun when he comes to the door?" asks Patty Sullivan, a Pizza Hut spokeswoman. "What if he's not happy with his tip?"
Sullivan says the company takes a number of steps to help ensure drivers' safety.

If my mail guy or delivery guy qualifies for a concealed-carry permit, I don't care whether or not he's packing when he comes to the door. Statistically, concealed-carry holders are more law-abiding than the average citizen. So long as it's legal for them to carry, I really don't see the problem.
And more importantly, if Pizza Hut has hired anyone so mentally unstable that they'd shoot a customer for giving them a lousy tip, then they have far bigger problems than whether or not to permit their employees to carry firearms. Who are they hiring anyway -- Hell's Angels on crack? If this is the concern, then the insane, frothing-at-the-mouth delivery maniac could just as easily beat me to death with his shoes. You don't make policies based on the possible actions of mentally deranged.
Oh, and by all means tell Pizza Hut what you think of their stupid anti-gun policies with their feedback form here. I'm sure they'll love to hear from you.
[Hat tip: Clayton Cramer]

UPDATE: On his weblog InfOpinion, Robert French, a professor of public relations and multimedia at Auburn University, lodges a different view on Pizza Hut's decision to fire Honeycutt. I think it's more than a little silly:

Im with Pizza Hut on this one. He had to be let go.
10 times? That means he (Ronald Honeycutt) emptied the clip. Fear is understandable. I have no idea how I would have handled it, were I in Ronald Honeycutts situation - except that it wouldnt have been to shoot. I would not have been carrying a gun. There are a lot of reason why, but the first would be - it is against company policy.

...And it follows that French_would_likely_be dead as a result. When somebody comes at you with a gun, there's a fair chance that you're going to be killed. Defending oneself is to be the only intelligent response, and that means stopping the assailant by any means necessary.
That's why this argument is completely irrational:

[I]t is up to the company to handle safety issues - not the employee. Pizza Hut and others must find new ways to protect their employees - regardless of the cost is requires. Lets face it pizza delivery is not vital to our economy. Cost cutting stops at safety. And we dont need gunslingers delivering pizza.
This is a heartland (Indiana) instance, not gunslinger Texas. Ronald Honeycutt was not charged. But, Ill bet you that police do not want delivery drivers/cabbies, etc. carrying weapons.
Neither the police nor the company can protect you if you are a deliveryman who is attacked. The police probably won't see it happening, and in any case, they are under no actual legal obligation to defend you. The company, likewise, can only create policies that minimize the risk, but they cannot eliminate it. When a person is attacked, nobody else can protect them but themselves. Self-defense is always a personal responsibility and an individual right. You can't pass the buck, and I don't care one whit what the police think about that. If they don't want law-abiding people to be able to defend themselves, then frankly, that troubles me. It's nobody's concern but mine.

http://www.lonestartimes.com/index.p...0,1086,0,0,1,0

Folks have a right to protect themselves!
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #2 of 94
If you don´t like the smoke get out of the kitchen. Isn´t that the term that is used to defend the companies policies against having Kerry stickers on their cars or anti war t-shirts in malls?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #3 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
When somebody comes at you with a gun, there's a fair chance that you're going to be killed.

That's just not true. At all.

The vast, vast, vast majority of the time someone pulls a gun they DO NOT want to fire it and only use it to ensure they have the upper hand in the situation. The last thing you want to do is fumble for a gun or other weapon. That's how you get shot.
Quote:
Defending oneself is to be the only intelligent response,

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. If someone pulls a gun on you, the best thing to do is just follow directions and the whole incident is typically over in no more than 30 seconds.
post #4 of 94
"the best thing to do is just follow directions and the whole incident is typically over in no more than 30 seconds"

This is where people like many of you and people like me differ. I don't accept what is handed to me. I dont believe in cowering to a freak on the street any more than I believe in cowering to terrorists or SH or the UN or the French or whoever. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else is going to do it for you. Its not about surviving. Its about winning.
post #5 of 94
Quote:
This is where people like many of you and people like me differ.

Maybe you just haven't gone to enough funerals or been on the wrong end of a gun enough times. Of course, with your attitude, it would only be once.

[edited out]
post #6 of 94
Quote:
"the best thing to do is just follow directions and the whole incident is typically over in no more than 30 seconds"

This is where people like many of you and people like me differ. I don't accept what is handed to me. I dont believe in cowering to a freak on the street any more than I believe in cowering to terrorists or SH or the UN or the French or whoever. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else is going to do it for you. Its not about surviving. Its about winning.

dear god. I can't believe you can actually think like that. it's not about surviving its about winning? Since when is this a competition? By saying and thinking that you are making yourself out to be the same type of nutcase that is pulling a gun on you in the first place.
post #7 of 94
I'm going beyond the robbery case Applenut. Apply this logic to national security. The attitude of appeasing tyrants and terrorists vs the attitude of confronting them before they get a shot at us for example.
post #8 of 94
Quote:
I'm going beyond the robbery case Applenut. Apply this logic to national security. The attitude of appeasing tyrants and terrorists vs the attitude of confronting them before they get a shot at us for example.

yet this is a robbery case. and you know nothing more than that about it. nothing about the guy who pulled the gun, whether that gun was real/loaded/etc. you can not apply national security policy to robbery and shootings. it's poor logic.
post #9 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
yet this is a robbery case. and you know nothing more than that about it. nothing about the guy who pulled the gun, whether that gun was real/loaded/etc. you can not apply national security policy to robbery and shootings. it's poor logic.

"Poor logic" is being kind. It's the "my dick's bigger than yours" school of politics.

From whence the "liberals are fags so they deserve to be beaten" school of partisanship arises.

And I am absolutely not joking. The wingnut postings on these boards are almost some variation on "that's because ya'll are pussies. Real men shoot first and ask questions later. Har har, pussies! Listen to the little faggots whine about obliteration of the natural world/unprovoked war/brutal winner take all economic policy/childhood poverty/civil liberties/whatever. Fuck you! Fuck the world! With my dick or my gun, up your ass or down your throat, winners take what they want and burn the rest!"

Because that's what Jesus said.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #10 of 94
Common Man, the day that you kill someone to protect your 4-dollar tip is the day that you can start posting stupid articles like the one you posted here.

and also what Addabox said seems clearer everyday around here . .
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #11 of 94
Pizza Hut has every right to regulate what their employees do while working for them.
post #12 of 94
This is the guy who unloaded 10 shots into the robber:

He's one "folk" who looks like he'd empty a clip into you just looking at him funny.

Break a smile there, Ronnie! You're in the news!
post #13 of 94
This is a nutcase who is lucky to be alive.

If your national security policy was the same, are you willing to risk the chance of being shot first?

Now that the elections are over, Common Man is getting bored again...
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #14 of 94
<hankhill>
"That boy just ain't right"
</hankhill>

feel free to apply the above to the topic, and/or the topic starter, as you see fit.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #15 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ

He's one "folk" who looks like he'd empty a clip into you just looking at him funny.

Hmmm.... I can see where this isn't exactly the vibe Pizza Hut is going for....

"Your pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less or you lookin' at me? I don't see any other pizza delivery guys around, so you must be lookin' at me!"
post #16 of 94
Quote:

At this point I feel obliged to point out that neither Saddam Hussein, the United Nations nor the French posed any risk to your national security.

So no need to 'cower', OK?

edit: I said bad things
post #17 of 94
I guess you're happy with the following story also:
from foxnews.com:
Quote:
Masked Man

A taxi driver in Costa Rica was driving down a narrow street near San Jose, when a man in an Usama bin Laden mask jumped in front of his taxi.

The taxi driver pulled out a gun, and shot the man in the stomach, twice. The man insists he was just trying to play a practical joke. He's now hospitalized in stable condition. No charges against the taxi driver.
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
post #18 of 94
Happy? Of course not. A man is dead for no reason. Unfortunately, he did something stupid and payed the ultimate price for it. As the story stands, the driver should not be charged.
post #19 of 94
I will never recieved a Pizza carried by a man who wear a gun. I do not accept people wiht gun in my home.

" How do you like it sir ? "
" hot"
"bang"
end of the story.
post #20 of 94
Quote:
Happy? Of course not. A man is dead for no reason. Unfortunately, he did something stupid and payed the ultimate price for it. As the story stands, the driver should not be charged.

Ever wondered what the world would be like If everyone adhered to your values?
post #21 of 94
Mark, the problem is that we live in a world where someone in an OBL mask jumping out in front of a sled is likely to scare the driver to the point that he feels the need to defend himself. It just was a bad idea. A sad ending, but I don't blame the driver. He did it because he felt in danger.
post #22 of 94
Quote:
Mark, the problem is that we live in a world where someone in an OBL mask jumping out in front of a sled is likely to scare the driver to the point that he feels the need to defend himself. It just was a bad idea. A sad ending, but I don't blame the driver. He did it because he felt in danger.

Thats irrelavent, imagine a world where its OK for everyone to carry a gun, and kill someone at the first wrong glance that makes them feel threatened. Imagine a world where it's OK to kill someone because they hold different values to you that make you feel threatened. Thats your world and we'd all be dead in a minute.
post #23 of 94
No Mark. That's not my world. Shooting someone who is attacking you or you fear is attacking you is very different than shooting someone because of their looks or culture or belief system.
post #24 of 94
Quote:
No Mark. That's not my world. Shooting someone who is attacking you or you fear is attacking you is very different than shooting someone because of their looks or culture or belief system.

so it's ok as long as you 'fear they're attacking you'

tell you what, Im a bit myopic, and sometimes, If I dont wear my specs, I have to look at something a few times, If that's you, and you fear Im looking at you, its ok to shoot me, because you think I might attack you.

No doubt, i'm attacking you right now, shoot me!
post #25 of 94
Quote:

Since when does "turning the other cheek" mean shooting a guy in the arse?
post #26 of 94
Quote:
Since when does "turning the other cheek" mean shooting a guy in the arse?

I'd bet he's a paid-up pro-life activist too.
post #27 of 94
Quote:

Hey Iran. Over here. You just got your carte blance for attacking Washington!
post #28 of 94
I have had the opportunity to talk with many people who advocate personal gun ownership and carrying firearms for self defense.

It is my opinion that the vast majority of these people are quite enthusiastic about the possibility of defending themselves with their firearm and are looking forward to it. It seems to me they are more interested in having a legal opportunity to shoot someone than in actual self defense.

I would ask anyone who wishes to carry a personal firearm to seriously consider their motives for doing so. Self defense seems like a good idea but it usually uncalled for and at the end of the day, you are just succumbing to unrealistic fears generated by our media and the people who want to sell you guns.

If you want to feel safer and more in control of your life, I would suggest becoming physically fit and learning how to fight with your hands, not ultra death ninja fighting, just learn how to wrestle or box and spar with like minded individuals (those who also want to be fit and enjoy fighting).
post #29 of 94
My life was once threatened by a lunatic I supposedly cut-off, he had a gun and threatened to blow my head off after trying to cut me off the road a few times first . . . .

Also, a friend of mine's best friend had his head litterally blown off by a gun while being robbed for a few bucks

Plus, I was right around the corner, a few paces from a woman getting shot six times by her recently ex-boyfriend, who, later that day was killed by a squad of police

anyway . . . not good . . . though I am for ownership . . . just verifiably responsible ownership and NOT concealed . . . except for certain special circumstances.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #30 of 94
I am all for ownership of guns that don't work unless tampered with severely. Make it a federal felony to tamper with them, that way in the event that people do need to use the weapons against the government, they wouldn't really care if they committed a felony in the process. Gun ownership is still protected -- no one ever said they needed to work without some modification.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #31 of 94
Common Man:

Quote:
The analysis of unintentional shooting deaths included 84 deceased cases and 1,451 living controls. Firearms were considerably more common in the homes of cases (66%) than control subjects (38%). Specifically, cases were more likely to have a handgun. Persons living in a home where a gun was present were 3.7 times more likely to die from an unintentional gunshot wound than persons with no gun in the home. This effect did not differ significantly by sex, race, age group, or region. The number of guns in a home increased the risk. Compared to subjects living in homes where no gun was present, subjects with one gun in the home were at 3.4 times the risk, and subjects with multiple guns were at 3.9 times the risk of unintentional shooting death. The relative risk of gun death by unintentional shooting was elevated among subjects with guns in their home regardless of gun type. The presence of handguns only, or both handguns and long guns, was associated with particularly high risks.

Although the 2nd Amendment allows us to keep and bear arms, the act of owning a gun increases your risk of being killed by a gun. The guns are out there, and we can't do anythng about it; it's entrenched in our culture. The government can't do anything about it, so it's down to each individual to make a sensible decision.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #32 of 94
I find it difficult to believe that the kind of person who would want to carry a concealed weapon is not also the kind of person would would want to use that concealed weapon.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #33 of 94
Quote:
Its not about surviving. Its about winning.

You can't win if you don't survive. In a gunfight, you have a fifty percent chance of surviving. Do the math.
post #34 of 94
Quote:

Holy shit, that guy looks unstable.
post #35 of 94
Not to mention that he's a 39yo with a 17yo's job.
post #36 of 94
"You can't win if you don't survive. In a gunfight, you have a fifty percent chance of surviving. Do the math."

If all things are equal which they are not.
post #37 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Not to mention that he's a 39yo with a 17yo's job.

Which means that he was looking for it . . . the man wanted to kill with impunity

how many 'gun enthusiasts' have that unconscious wish barried just under the surface . . . or even conscious but not vocal?!?!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #38 of 94
TEN TIMES?!!! Overkill... 10 times over...

Why do humans have this preoccupation with killing each other?
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #39 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Why do humans have this preoccupation with killing each other?

Not humans in general. Only rednecks.
post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

10 times? Well, it WAS only a 9mm, he had to be sure....
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Pizza Hut denies man's right to carry a weapon!